AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Synergy and Colaboration
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Rockville Centre, NYAugust 29, 2016
Avalon is a collective group of talented people all working together to deliver a safe and enjoyable life style for our residences families and friends. The most enjoyable part of working here at Avalon Bay is driving by a completed community during the Holidays and seeing the decorations, light and the residence enjoying their home.
Pros
Freedom to expand knowledge and ides
Cons
Not enough team building events
Good people but some not so good Managers
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston AreaAugust 13, 2016
-Very tight on time to make apartments ready
-learned a lot through training
-Some managers were not available for help
-co workers were great
-hardest part was the lack of time for a quality make ready
-most enjoyable part of job was resident satisfaction
Pros
Lunch's
Cons
lack of time to improve quality of units and funding to upgrade units
Ever evolving company
Senior Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 21, 2015
I have been with AvalonBay for over 12 years now, starting as a leasing consultant and working my way up to manager. The company is continuously changing and strives to keep up with the times and be a leader in the field. We are the only company in the industry that has successfully branded our communities, offering various lifestyles to suit anyone. I am part of a great team that embraces our culture and works together to improve our community, our scores/numbers and the lives of our residents. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to interact with so many wonderful people, whether they are associates, residents or prospective residents. Over the years I’ve learned that you have to be willing to change to succeed and we are changing every day so we can maintain our status of being an excellent company to work for!
Pros
Good benefits; work/home life balance; values
Great place to work with opportunity to grow.
Community Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 15, 2015
Avalon is a great place to work. Everyday I am presented with a new challenge that pushes me further and makes me a better manager. I have grown with the company and they have invested in me though numerous training classes. I have gown so much with Avalon both personally and professionally.
The Avalon culture can not be any better. It is so great to know that I have so many managers and peers that are there for me when I need them. They are there for support through the more challenging aspects of the job and are also there to celebrate accomplishments. I am so lucky to work for such a great company.
Pros
The opportunity for advancement and the benefits the company gives to its employees.
Cons
Avalon is a little behind when it comes to technologies, .

Comment – April 6, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and thanks for your contributions to AvalonBay thus far. I am really happy that you are enjoying your AvalonBay experience at our San Jose Community. Thank you for being here, and for contributing positively to our success.

Work Hard, Play Hard
Sr. Community Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2015
The company culture is AMAZING. From the way associates are engaged, to the customer service experieinces for our customers. We find opportunities to give back to local communities and associates are getting involved in charitable events. Compensations is lower compared to what competitors are bringing new hires in at; however, employee retention is higher with AVB. Advancement is lower only due to minimal communities in SD compared to LA and other regions.

We are encoraged to #beGREAT everyday and supported when we make those choises. Executive team is engaged with on-site personnel and are very approachable.

Comment – April 6, 2015

Thanks for the great review! We appreciate your enthusiasm and passion and are proud to have you on the AVB Team! #beGREAT

Great Company To Work For!
Senior Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaMay 18, 2015
It's always an amazing feeling to deliver GREAT customer service and this is exactly what AvalonBay exemplifies! AvalonBay cares immensely what their employees think and they do a great job implementing new business techniques based on associate survey feedback. Not many companies do this. AvalonBay also gives their employees the tools and training needed to advance and has a history of promoting from within. If you have a hard time adapting to change, or multi-tasking than property management probably isn't for you.
Pros
Given the tools to succeed. Empowerment. Every day is different.
Cons
Bonus compensation
Good for entry level- not long term.
Loss Mitigation Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 16, 2015
I worked at this company for over two and a half years at their Customer Care Center in Virginia Beach and it is your typical corporate office. Even though you are hourly you have paid sick and vacation- no exceptions. The pay is terrible for the amount of work you do and in order to get promoted you literally have to take "classes"; complete book reports and job shadow- mainly all on your own time. After you complete this- you only get a $1 raise for each platform! If you want to move up to management you're better off leaving the company and coming back- the pay will be much better.

I loved the work I did but could no longer deal with the office politics and the way they treated people- we were all replaceable and treated as such. They chase away all the good employees and it is almost always a bitter ending once you put your two weeks in(myself included). They waste money with a full week of associate appreciation, bbq's and other things throughout the year but realisticly I would have preferred that go to my paycheck.

It is also a pretty negative environment; if you have an issue, opinion or thought that may not be overly positive..... you will be forever looked at as a negative person and judged for it. They do not like to hear your opinions- period. The Customer Care Center is very out of touch with their employees.

If you are the person who can come to work, mind you own business and collect the check, this may work for you but if you are like me and put your all into your work and really want to get involved than you may struggle like I did and mentally check
  more... out after a year.  less
Pros
Great entry level positions.
Cons
negative environment, low pay, revolving door.
Very team oriented
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 12, 2016
Great place to work. Great staff. Located in a safe place. Call volume is very manageable. The teamwork at this company is the best I've ever seen
Good Experience
Sales and Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New YorkJune 28, 2016
Good company culture and work atmosphere. Rewarded for hard work. Would have stayed longer but another opportunity came my way.
Pros
Strong operational structure
Cons
high turnover
Challenging and rewarding working with talented associates
IT Director (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 8, 2016
What lured me to AvalonBay over 15 years ago is the same reason that I've stayed so long, which is culture. We have an abundance of highly talented, hardworking and respectful people that make it easy to come to work day after day and give meaning to the idiom "Time flies when you're having fun".

Opportunities exist for constant collaboration across departments and levels.

Rewarding for individuals that are open to taking on challenges and coming up with innovations.

Proud of the people that we call "associates", who are care about each other, the company and the community.
Pros
Free beverages and coffee
Cons
Commute
Great learning opportunities
Sales (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaOctober 6, 2015
Company has a strong sales and service training program. It's a company that is fun to work for and the employees are hard working and team players. Compensation is not great. They provide a great benefits and retirement program.
Great company to work for!
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 20, 2015
AvalonBay is a great company to work for with lots of job advancement opportunities. Very supportive of their employees and truly demonstrate genuine care for them. They offer great benefits including tuition reimbursement. Positive and friendly environment. This is by far the best company I have worked for. I am very happy with AvalonBay and hope to retire with them.
Pros
Great benefits and supportive managers.
Good Companys
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, New YorkJune 23, 2015
Avalon is a great company. However, the management skills of people in certain position is questionable. It seems as if there is a culture of gossiping and apparently managing people means lying to them.

On the other hand, the company offers a great deal of benefits. It can be a really fun job if you look the other way.
Pros
awesome quaterly events
Cons
Terrible management
Great Company.
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 21, 2015
Fun and supportive place to work. This was my first "real" job and I gained a lot of knowledge and self-awareness. Everyone was always helping each other out so the atmosphere was great. There were regional meetings with thousands of employees. Over time each sub office created it's own intimate culture which was nice to really get to know everyone. I worked at about 5 different offices all over va, md, and dc throughout my whole career with Avalon Bay Communities.This is a very large company, so my duties included a lot of diverse items, but I mainly focused on customer service. Because it was so big, the growth from with in really became all about who you know and who liked you, instead of your skills or years you've worked for the company.
Pros
Large Company Culture
Cons
Little/No growth.
Awesome Company That You Can Believe In!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaMay 18, 2015
AVB has a great company culture that is evolving as the company continues to grow. If you want a work environment that never rests for the status quo and that is constantly seeking to be better, this is the place for you! Every day is different and the only constant here is our desire to improve.
Pros
Everything - This is an awesome company to work for.
Cons
Compensation could be more competitive.
Great Company to Work for
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Avalon has been an awesome company to work for. They really care about their employees and company culture. I would say they don't pay the highest in property management, but they make up for this in company morale and training. So far I've loved my time at Avalon and would recommend my friends/family to work here.
Pros
Company culture, benefits, associates, properties
Awful place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachJune 23, 2012
I worked at this place for 4 years and it started off as a laid back work enviroment, but the management changed in 2011 and now they set unrealistic expectations. My manager actually had a rule where you couldn't go to the bathroom for the first hour of the day. I complained to her manager about it and he agreed. The pay is horrid. I received two promotions and my salary was only increased 50 cents. Stay away from this dead end job.
Pros
free fountain drinks in the breakroom
Cons
awful management, micromanagement to the max
Awesome place to work!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  New Canaan, CTJune 12, 2015
People were all very nice, job security was evident, pay was right on target, ability to grow with the company very easy, wish I hadn't had to relocate...loved this company...the training was top notch!
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
Benefits, people, pay, company values
Not much concern for their employees well being
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAApril 6, 2016
I was there a year and had to go out on medical leave (per them), when I was able to return to work they wouldn't give me the time of day.
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor Management
Too much work, too little time, not enough pay
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Avalon BayMarch 17, 2013
This company recently took over Archstone which was a far superior company when it comes to values, benefits, management and employee camaraderie. Ever since Avalon took over everything is falling apart. Its sad really because at Archstone we were employees not just a number. Avalon is extremely money hungry and the budget is very tight. You must dry clean your uniforms at your own expense, no overtime, an excessive amount of pointless paper work, no bonuses and poor upper management.
Cons
everything