AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

too much unwanted stress.
Mainteneance Tech 2 (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 11, 2017
They seem to judge you not by your ability perform as technician but by company politics. You can't have opinion weather wrong or right. Either manager's way, which I new in many ways wrong, YOUR way is wrong way. Manager always says, the company don't care about what your think. Thus I walk away! It was not the work that I have walked away but how they managed its workers.
Pros
farming out lots work
Cons
bad over-time conpensation
nice place to work
Summer Associate (Current Employee) –  Newton, MASeptember 9, 2017
life and work balance, friendly colleagues and managers eager to help. having instructions to lead you to handle your working project. never feel afraid to go to your manager to tell them about your thoughts.
Learned alot about property managment
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 6, 2017
Had a fantastic team at my property, we maintained 95.5% without 25% of our staff. We were rated 4.5 stars out of 5 on Google Plus and had a mid lease score of 49, move out score of 22 and move in score of 67.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Training
Competitive and fast paced
Affordable Housing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA 02210August 28, 2017
With my role, which was very different than many others in the company due to my developing the position and the team by writing a proposal to make the department more streamlined. It was fast paced in the early stages of development and took a few tries to get it smooth, however at the end of my term there, it was running so smoothly with my team that there was very little for me to do and not much growth in the field of Affordable housing.
Pros
The best part of the position was the fast pace in which I worked.
Cons
My cell phone ringing at all hours from many communities.
Family-Like Environment
Sales and Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 20, 2017
I learned a lot about myself at my nine years with AvalonBay and really felt like I matured as a business professional. They treated all employees with kindness and respect and I felt like I was part of a family.
Pros
Benefits, Stock Program, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Associate Housing, Bonus Compensation Program
Awesome
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 15, 2017
I was there for a really long time have no regrets they were a very good company to work FOR. They give you everything you need to be al you can be. If I could go back I would on a heart beat they were so AWESOME. Thanks Avalon communities for my time there
Good
Cons
Great
Leasing
Sales Associate/Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Midtown New York, NYAugust 11, 2017
The people I got to work with were great caring people. The job position itself definitely isn't anything desirable. Having to deal with every residents problem was by far the worst part.
Great place to do good work
manager (Current Employee) –  dcAugust 7, 2017
AvalonBay has a great culture which is thoughtful and customer focused. We genuinely care that our residents have the best lifestyle we can provide. What that means is that our work really matters. The commitment to employees is as good as the commitment to customers with good work life balance and a respectful working environment.
Pros
people
Ethical and Thoughtful
Developer (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 31, 2017
I enjoy working for an organization that strives to do the right thing. Decisions are carefully considered and balanced. My coworkers are bright and hard working.
,lack Managerment
Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  Rancho Santa Margarita, CA+ Mission vejio ,caJuly 23, 2017
low pay ,lack Managerment low skill and low technician not required to have the same. They say it is up to you to take classes and move up to the not paying out bonuses for Maintenance technician , this doesn't pay well too low pay for Maintenance ,
Cons
not control for time line
Would work for this company in a heartbeat!
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 19, 2017
I LOVE the way they treat their employees! I had some of the best experiences with my work family. The insurance was GREAT and the perks of working for the company just as awesome. I loved that I new upper management that you normally don't interact with and they took the time to get to know us on a first name balance. The training is AMAZING! They have so many opportunities to be trained to do your job well and to advance when the time is right. If there was an AvalonBay community near me I would be there in a heartbeat!
Pros
Company events!!!
Best Work Home I Could Ask For!
Customer Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 19, 2017
I've worked at a few shared services centers over the years, but AvalonBay's Customer Care Center surpasses them all! The leadership team genuinely cares about me, and my teammates as individuals. The VP in our department is approachable and even knows my name. He will stop by just to see how we are doing - very approachable. Our team manager meets with us weekly and helped me attain a high enough scorecard so that I earn incentive every month. My department offers a self paced advancement program called the career atlas which allows you to control your own advancement. Beginning training lasted 6 weeks, and we received lots of personal attention. Our trainer Chris was very knowledgeable, and is still a great reference on procedures even though I have been out of training for a few years. Lots of community involvement activities every year and many fun monthly events such as cookouts, theme days, holiday party and an associate appreciation week every summer! I see smiles every day and actually look forward to coming to work!
Pros
Culture, fun environment, recognition and rewards for individual performance
Cons
A couple associates are only concerneds about what they get.
Politics
Sr. Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJune 30, 2017
If you want to work for a company with a lot of politics, Avalon is the best place to work. The Customer Care Center being in Virginia is amazing, however does not allow for on-site team to learn the processes and procedures.
July 21, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear that your experience was anything less than positive and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Great Company to work for!
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2017
It's a rewarding company to work for as long as you are up to the challenge. Over the years the process and policy have changed for the best. Majority of the individuals at the onsite level and corporate level truly care for the associates and their development. Corporate level is responsive to the associates needs and their feedback. There's a lot of support from the other managers if needed and everyone tends to work towards a common goal, which makes it a great company to work for.
Pros
Pay, Benefits (vacation, medical, dental, 401K, etc... ) Too many to list
Cons
Can't think of any
July 20, 2017

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the challenges and opportunities that come with being part of the AVB, and that you have the support of your fellow associates. Thanks for your review!

Fast paced and rewarding career
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 25, 2017
AvalonBay is a great and rewarding company to work for. Good advancement opportunities and smart, passionate leaders are guiding the way. The company is focused on the associates!
Pros
Pay, benefits, house discounts, sick and vacation time, 401K and stock options
July 20, 2017

So glad you're enjoying AVB and that you feel rewarded for all your efforts. Thanks for sharing!

Great people to work with
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 23, 2017
No two days are ever the same. Always something new to learn and will help you grow as an individual. Lots of opportunities to grow within the organization as long as you are up for the challenge. At times, politics can get in the way of achieving the desired results but this can be the case in a lot of other companies. You just have to learn to adapt and compromise on some things but you still have a voice that won't be shut down at the end of the day. This company allows you to speak your mind and provide input. You don't always get what you want, but at least there are opportunities for your voice to be heard. Hardest part of the job is disconnecting yourself from the communities at the end of the day. We are a 24/7 business, however, going into this industry, this is made abundantly clear. Best part of the day is working with the people. Lots of friendships have been made with fellow co-workers and I continue to build more at every community.
Pros
Benefits, growth opportunities, and people
Cons
Long days and on-call 24/7
July 20, 2017

Thanks for your review. One of my favorite things about AVB is that associates are encouraged to think for themselves and challenge the status quo. It's great to hear from others who share that sentiment. We appreciate all your hard work and commitment to the AVB team!

Great people at the top of an industry
Sr. Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2017
AvalonBay is a great company to work for with plenty of benefits. You will work very hard however overall the everyday business of a great deal of teams within the organization is to improve processes and work flows. Feedback is often sought of all associates and truly considered when changes are implemented. Sometimes we do have processes improved that remove one task only to be replaced with multiple tasks.
Pros
Pay/Benefits, Training, Promotion Opportunities
Cons
Allotment of associates per community is based on unit count not business needs.
July 20, 2017

Thanks very much for sharing. I like to think that a great job is one that challenges you to excel and a lot of us have found that at AVB. Thanks for being part of the team!

Excellent and forward thinking company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 20, 2017
I have been working for AvalonBay for many years. This company is forever changing and thinking for new and smarter ways to work better. They have been able to change with the economy and come out on top.
The company continues to grow, therefore bringing multiple opportunities for growth.
Pros
opportunities, benefits, associate recognition
July 20, 2017

Thanks so much for your review and for your years of service! I agree, it's exciting to work for a company like AVB that's always looking to improve and grow. Thanks again!

Great!
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJune 13, 2017
AvalonBay is by far one of the best property management companies I have worked for. Excellent training program! Everyone is so supportive. The benefits are second to none. The processes are really streamlined and efficient.
June 19, 2017

Thank you for sharing some of the things you enjoy most about working at AvalonBay. We appreciate all your hard work and commitment to the AVB team!

Great work environment
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2017
I enjoy working for Avalon Bay Communities. They are a company that is about giving the residents in our communities the best. The properties are well maintained and offer family oriented programs for residents.
June 8, 2017

So glad you're enjoying being part of the AVB team. We're very fortunate to have so many dedicated associates working around the clock to give our residents the very best. Thanks for helping to make AVB world-class!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AvalonBay Communities. Our community is ready to answer.