AVEDA INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Something that can improve!
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2017
The Douglas J. Aveda Institute in Chicago has amazing instructors to help guide us all who choose to be a part of this program to a successful career in this industry. However, I believe that certain changes about tips and uniforms and lending a hand, but I would never say I regret going.
Pros
fun and educational evironment
Cons
not always treated fairly
A great job for students!
Guest Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 23, 2017
The Aveda culture is one that anyon would be lucky to be a part of. Combining a love of art and science makes for an exciting spin on the traditional salon atmosphere.
Awesome job, bad management
Licensed Educator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 1, 2017
Too bad that the management is only concerned with making money rather than taking care of passionate employees. It could have been way better, and i could have been a life long employee.
Pros
the experience
Cons
the management
Wish I could have retired there
AP-Kinesiology Instructor (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 6, 2017
I would still be there if they had not phased out the Massage therapy program. Amazing, happy, healthy place to work. Where I was in Houston Texas, the leadership was amazing and motivational as well as supportive. I enjoyed training and always improving. AVEDA has strong principles and high expectations and overall a perfect fit for me.
Pros
fair pay, great discounts, paid trainings
Cons
If enrollment is low, you may loose your job
Best job ever!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 25, 2017
Great fun, hard work and lots of juicy learning! Diversity and acceptance are the norm here. World renowned education and top rated advanced educators.
Pros
Located near downtown Minneapolis and very progressive
Cons
Hard work, but you will love it.
Excellent Team
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 20, 2017
I enjoyed every day I spent with the Nashville Team. We supported each other and were consistently achieving company goals. Communication with management was challenging.
Great place to work. Very "green" company, with outstanding mission and beliefs.
Admissions Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 25, 2017
Work is fast paced and all encompassing. Seemed like there were not enough hours in a day, sometimes. Calling potential students as well as incoming calls from students and salon clients as well. Campus tours, including a "one on one" career planning session with candidates.
I learned to be better at multi tasking as well as to never be surprised by what people tell you!
Management "lived" the mission and beliefs and are concerned for your wellness and job satisfaction.
The culture there is very nurturing and encouraging. Also a great team spirit among staff.
Sometimes, the hardest part of the job is completing all tasks before days end!
The most enjoyable part of the job for me, was getting to help people change and improve their lives. To watch them progress and grow as they learned and accomplished more each day! Loved to see them graduate and take the state boards!
Pros
Great work environment, great benefits, among the top five cosmetology schools in the country!
Cons
Size of workload at times.
productive and fun learning experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisMay 21, 2017
Aveda Institute was an environmental company that created products that supported the planet and the people who cared for the planet. The culture was an experience I will always remember. It was a great experience teaching within the field of Cosmetology due to the student body that was not only very diverse but eager to learn the specialized phases that were taught there.
Benefits
Aveda Institute BR
Cosmetology Student/Internist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 4, 2017
I looooooove this school. There are only a few negatives I can list, but I wont because its so minimal it doesn't matter. Awesome place to attend school as well as get beauty services and retail products.
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
time retraints
Fun place to work meeting new students
Esthiology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 28, 2017
I taught theory classes which is the first six weeks of in classroom study. I love teaching what I know and have experienced in my job. The hardest part of the job was making sure the students passed all the class work so they could move on to the floor which is hands on study.

Want to know more about AVEDA INSTITUTE?

Ask a question
Great place
Cosmetology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 21, 2017
This is a very busy fun place to work. The staff and students are friendly. The hours vary from day to night shifts which made a good work life balance.
Under appreciated, but fun environment
Retail Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 13, 2017
Sometimes it felt like you were putting to much effort in to some of the tasks required of you with little to no recognition. Mostly female environment, sometimes lack of communication.
Fast-paced and hard work
Student/Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLApril 6, 2017
Great place to work, as long as you have the drive and passion for beauty and can keep the momentum going yourself. Be very flexible and customer needs are more important than your own.
Pros
Experience
Cons
No real consideration for employees or students
Could be a good place..
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2017
There is No work life balance. Leadership are compiled of bullies. No training involved. No support when needed. No focus on the real issues. Favoritism is obvious. They have A "divide and concur" culture amongst leadership towards staff members. No transparency spirit. 12 hour days with no breaks. Students Books jammed packed with guest and leaves no real room for learning.
Pros
The students
Cons
too many to name
School for cosmo management and natural formulations
Management Cosmetology student (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 24, 2017
I went to school here to further my knowledge of natural products. It was a great school and the education you receive is first class. The natural formulation process is outstanding.
Great school
Training Aesthetician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 14, 2016
Great place to learn, will work with you to complete your education. Very holistic approach. All about the clients being relaxed and comfortable. Great products, will recommend this school to anyone.
Pros
Great learning enviroment
Cons
non
aveda world
Esthetics Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2016
Cater treatments to individual skin types and corresponding products, offering informative, "non-pitchy" guidance to clients. Highest of three technicians in gross product sales.
Worst employer I've ever had
Student Records Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 19, 2016
The company that runs this institute does not care about their employees or the students. They work the students to death and the kids get no compensation for making them millions.
Fun and youthful environment.
Internationally recognized & America's leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2016
I loved working at Aveda Institute. I checked clients in and out while suggesting products for them to purchase. I edited student schedules and re-booked clients for future appointments. Aveda encouraged creativity and I tried to find ways to implement this in my work. Some of the employees I worked with are still my friends today. I had many memorable moments with my Aveda "family." The hardest part of the job was letting down clients when they wanted to re-book with a student who was graduating and would no longer be with the school. The most enjoyable part was see students grow into exceptional cosmetology professionals.
Pros
fun events, discounted products and services
Cons
Limited advancement opportunity without relocating
very very busy
Retail Advisor/Make-up Artist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2016
Aveda is a very peaceful and holistic place. A typical day is very busy, which will include a lot of rituals, smiling and standing. This job is definitely great for developing excellent customer services skills, as you will be required to problem solve with students as well as guests; Which means lots of personalities!! The hardest part of this job is becoming attached to the students and the hours are very long. The most enjoyable part is being in such a creative and inspiring environment.
Pros
health care and benefits, long breaks, events and networking
Cons
management, lots of personalities, long hours, always standing