Avera Health Employee Reviews

Food Service is a miserable area
Food Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 28, 2017
If you're thinking of working in food service at Avera Hospital, save yourself the headache. A few coworkers were beyond lazy. One would watch cartoons all shift and expected her other coworkers to do her work. Other coworkers told me off right to my face. Managers conveniently forgot the facts and used that against several coworkers. There's a very good reason that there's a $250 hiring bonus. If you like bullies, go ahead and apply.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Lazy coworkers, poor management, bullying
Scheduling
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDAugust 3, 2017
Zero communication
No HR rep on site
New employees start at higher pay than employees that have worked for avera several years.
High turnover / always under staffed
No sick time so must use pto
Employee opinions are not valued
Cons
Avera was a GREAT place to work!!
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 13, 2017
I processed payments from insurance companies. I answered phone calls from patients with questions in regards to their accounts and from insurance companies in regards to payments they have made to Avera. I sent collection letters to patients when their accounts went 30-90 days past due and if they reached 120 days, I would send them to collections.
I learned alot about insurance companies and how different each one is when it comes to paying accounts.
The workplace culture was very relaxed and easy going. Everyone at Avera was so nice and helpful.
The hardest part of my job was not being able to talk to my co-workers while working.
The most enjoyable part of it was how helpful any person in my office was.If I ever move back to SD, I will definitely apply back at Avera.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
I don't have any cons with Avera
Stressful work environment
Director (Former Employee) –  Mitchell, SDMay 23, 2017
Upper Management in the business office has no regards for it's employees only it's bottom line. Don't let the non-profit heading fool you they are very greedy. If you work there watch your back. If you are new to Avera you will have an uphill battle to ever fit in.
Pros
PTO program
Cons
No breaks, never good enough, they will talk behind your back after you leave so it is hard to get another job.
Patient services rep jobs suck
PSR (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 22, 2017
Management is "political favoritism" with little chance to advance. Communication is poor, on-boarding is non-existent. No employee development or encouragement but plenty of criticism without training. Low pay. Low work/life balance since you come home so stressed you don't want to do anything but go to bed!! Employee engagement is discouraged! No incentives. Management does not reward competent work but rather only lazy work.
Caring, Reliable, and Fun Enviroment
CNA MED AIDE (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls SDJanuary 20, 2017
I loved working for Avera! Training was amazing! Very thorough and clear. Never a dull moment in the classroom! Very nice people!
Pros
Support from management and coworkers
I am very happy happy working for Avera,
RN (Current Employee) –  Platte, SDJanuary 16, 2017
I am currently happy in the position I am in but I would like to add hours and experience. I absolutely love nursing as a job. Helping people is something I feel I was made to do.
Friendly people but horrible communication
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Estherville, IAJanuary 10, 2017
I enjoyed working here when I first started but two months in I was given extra work to do that I wasn't told about in training but was apparently always a part of my job. The communication between supervisors and employees is absolutely awful! List of work tasks is very unorganized with changes being made all the time. Work loads are unfair, one employee does twice as much as another who gets the same amount of hours. Tasks are not distributed fairly leaving some employees doing more than others. Overall I was not impressed.
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
Terrible communication, unfair workloads
Great Workplace
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 6, 2017
Everyone in this facility is kind, quick to help, and always there when in need of advice. Managers and supervisors are there to hear you out and don't treat workers as if they aren't important. I cannot think of a negative experience other than the occasional coworker you might have to pick up the slack on.
Pros
Nice breaks, cafeteria, friendly environment.
Avera Health
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 22, 2016
Avera Health has been a fantastic work environment that has been open to positive job development and has dramatically improved my resume. The staff is extremely knowledgeable and the learning opportunities are nearly endless. I have enjoyed every part of my job here.
Pros
significant room for job growth
Fun and relaxed atmosphere
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 18, 2016
The management here is very people centric. It's all about customer service and comfort. If the employees aren't happy the customers won't be happy. Avera has a pretty good grasp on that concept
Pros
Affordable meals, great networking
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and Fun Work Place
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 29, 2016
Avera is a very productive place to work. It can be stressful at times and emotional but people make it a Fun work place to be in.
Great place to work!
Systems Analyst Implementation Team (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 14, 2016
An amazing place to work. Great teamwork and management. Very flexible work atmosphere.Hours are great. Some travel involved.
Fast pace and great nursing staff
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDAugust 20, 2016
Always something to be done. Staff members are friendly as well as the nurses. Getting to know the residents and their daily activities make the job exciting!
Love working for Sioux Center Health
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sioux Center, IAJuly 13, 2016
Sioux Center Health is a great organization to work for. I have never felt so much support from senior leadership as well as my supervisor as I do now. The pay is fair, our benefits are great, and I love what I am doing. Everyone is so friendly and wonderful to work with.
Micro managed nightmare
RN (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJune 22, 2016
Nurses aren't allowed to do their jobs and use nursing judgement to care for patients because their boss's boss had their micro managing hands in everything. That's of course if they can even keep a department manager around long enough. There is very low morale and zero trust of upper management. The nursing Union is almost a continuous presence dealing with unsafe staffing issues. Yes, the pay is great, because of the contract, but you have to monitor your check closely. The battle with another local facility spills into the patient's room and affects nursing quality. You are called at least once daily asking to come in and work.
Pros
Pay
Pretty Decent
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNMay 22, 2016
I love the Job and the people, but some of the politics make it hard to accomplish the job to the highest standards. While I was there it was a great learning experience and was perfect for a starter job in the IT field.
A workplace that keeps up on education. Easy and stress free enviornment to work for
Medical Coder and Biller (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 8, 2016
Great place to work. Stress free work environment. Great people to work with. Management is great. There are always way to get more education. Everyone is helpful. I learned a lot more about the billing side than I knew coming out of school. I like the people I work with.
Pros
stress free
Cons
not a remote position