Avera McKennan

Avera McKennan Employee Reviews

Some great people and a good mission
Senior Financial Analyst - Hospital (Current Employee), Sioux Falls, SDApril 14, 2015
Pros: Hospital bill benefits
Cons: Anyone below Manager cannot park in ramp
Enjoy working with some of the people. The company has a good mission; it is in-line with my beliefs. I enjoy the work I do; but need more challenge.
Busy environment
Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDMarch 23, 2015
Pros: fast-paced
Cons: poor management
I would wash and sterilize instruments used in surgery. The department was very organized and the flow was very efficient. However, the management and some co-workers were not very efficient at all.
The hardest part of the job would have been when the washers or sterilizers weren't working or some instruments were misplaced.
I enjoyed being called from the operating room to bring a certain item to them quickly. I loved the busy, fast-paced days.
Job variety
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee), Diagnostic RadiologyJanuary 7, 2015
In the radiology department, you never experience the same day twice. We rotate through 7 different areas each week, and never have a chance to get bored with our job. We pick up a weekend every 6 weeks, which is nicely spread out.
Productive Work Environment
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee), Marshall, MNOctober 27, 2014
Answer phone calls to optimize patient satisfaction. Had the opportunity to work with highly motivated individuals. Very motivated to do an excellent job and help patients.
Did not work there long
staff nurse of rural hospital, IV (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJuly 23, 2014
Pros: large hospital experience
Cons: too far from home at the time
Was an hour commute and had small children at home. I was not in the right place in my life for this position.
Workplace that provided a culture of care for every patient
Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDMarch 31, 2014
-A typical day at work as a charge nurse would be rounding with physicians. Helping co-workers in needed situations. Making staffing assignments throughout the shift.
-I was provided with several hands-on learning opportunities with different patient situations.
-Management was good, however there was not a lot of interaction within my position.
-I had great co-workers. Most were able to ask questions if they didn't know what they were doing. I knew who to go to for the questions that I did have.
-The hardest part of the job was not knowing what was going to happen throughout the shift and trying to be a head of situations so they did not become out of control.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing patients get better.
this is just a hometown job
Phlebotomist (Current Employee), Sioux Falls, SDMarch 23, 2014
just worked throughout high school not really an everyday job, but i loved it
Outpatient Endoscopy
Admit/recovery/procedure RN (Current Employee), Sioux Falls, SDMarch 10, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to expand skills, great group of doctors to work with
My day at work consists of one of 3 roles - admitting patients for procedures, assisting physicians in procedures technically and by sedating patients, or recovering and discharging patients after procedures. I also float as needed to 2 other pre-admission areas and also to PACU in the main hospital OR. Management is very visible and available in our unit, my co-workers are like family to me. The hardest part of my job is when assisting patients and families with difficult diagnosis after a procedure and the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing those same patients and families come back after surgical/medical treatment to receive a clean bill of health!!
They gave me my start in critical care. Excellent facility
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: great introduction to critical care
Cons: blizzards
Typical day: Very busy. Plan for a crisis to happen so organize well and get as much done as possible when you can. Be organized, Critical thinking skills in high mode.
What I learned: I got my feet wet in Critical care at Avera. I was taught well, as in one year, instead of two, I became a traveler and survived.
Co-workers: All top notch and excellent. Best.
Hardest part of job: Getting used to nights and learning everything I could very overwhelming and frightening at times. I hope I never forget how I felt then when I help a new grad.. So far I have not.
Most enjoyable Part: successfully seeing one of your patient's graduate to the next lower level of care and then make it home.
Hospital Security Officer (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJuly 31, 2013
Learned the basics of what a security job consist of. Supervisors were very relaxed and great people to work with.
Staff was amazing to work with.
Business Office Assistant (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJuly 8, 2013
My jobs was to maintain patient accounts. I worked closely with patients and insurance company's to be sure the billing process went smoothly. Answered any questions and performed duties to get the bills paid. My co-workers taught me how to be calm and accurate for this position in which helped me grow as a person and co-worker.
Fun and Busy
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee), SDMarch 15, 2013
Pros: co-workers, variety of procedures
I love the variety of my job. I rotate in a different room every day so each day is something new! It makes me versatile and my job more fun.
Critical Care Nurse
Intensive Care/Bum Unit Nurse (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 11, 2013
Typical day was caring for patient in the intensive critical care setting of a hospital. Dealing with complex diagnosis in all areas of the body. Consistent monitoring of vital signs, titrating medication for life stability and effectively communication with Doctor for plan of care and relaying this to the family. Please see resume for further details.
All in all a good place to work with mostly a positive environment.
Sterile Processsing Tech (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDOctober 28, 2012
Pros: aways learning new things and working with a great team.
Cons: some nurses seemed to thrive on being rude and acting superior without purpose.
A typical day would be to get organized and make sure everything was ready and prepared for cases. Always learning new procedures to better make things run smoothly. Management to liked sit in office without any hands on activity. Co-workers enjoyed having a good time, at the same time making sure everything was properly taken care of. Hardest part of job I would have to say was having to deal with the different body fluids and blood left on instruments and in trays after surgeries. Not hard actually, but sometimes not a pleasurable experience. Most enjoyable would be the new things I was always learning and working with a great team.
Excellent placey to work.
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJuly 22, 2012
Pros: pay
Cons: co-workers
A typical day of work would be cleaning roomsof the hospital. I learned they had different values everday. The management team were great, nice people. Some of my co-workers were nice people. Hardest part of the job was working long hours while pregnant and working two jobs. The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere.
Very friendly working atmosphere
Food Service Worker II-Traypasser (Current Employee), Sioux Falls, SDApril 2, 2012
Pros: friendly nurses, friendly patients, always busying, easy work
Cons: early mornings, late trays, and management
I work part-time at Avera as a Food Service worker. I really enjoy working with my co-workers, the nurses are very friendly and help out a lot, and I enjoy the patient interaction. I am a college graduate, but because I do not have enough experience in Food Service I did not get the hourly wage I thought I deserve, but I still get decent pay for part-time. The job I do is easy and I enjoy the people I work with. If you like interacting with patients and only working from 7am until 2pm it's a great job for you. I am not going to make this out of a career, but it's giving me great experience in the medical field. I enjoy documenting the patient food and liquid intake; it makes me feel important. Great and friendly atmosphere at Avera. One conflicting issue I want to share is that if you are a solid worker in the Food and Nutrition department it may be a struggle to transfer to another department. I have heard this from co-workers who have experienced this. Disclaimer; this review is only for the Food and Nutrition Department not the entire hospital.
good employer outside of noninvasive field
cardiovascular sonographer (Former Employee), Hospital and outreachJanuary 5, 2012
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: run down equipment, job security
Job market is extremely tight due to sonographer school in town. Plenty of unemployed techs waiting in the wings.