Avera McKennan Employee Reviews

Productive, high stress, challenging
Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 15, 2017
I loved my time at Avera and loved to put the patient first. Every day was different and challenging which is what I feed off of. I learned so much about people, procedures, handling stress, death, and being open to learning new things.
Pros
Challenging but very fulfilling
Cons
Long hours, a lot of standing for many hours, and stress
Fun people, stressful work pace, expectations of employees set too high
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 28, 2017
Not enough people to cover each shift and job position. No recognition for a job well done. Too much to be done by one person in a short amount of time.
Pros
Decent coworkers
Cons
Too much to do in too little time. No one to help
Fun place to work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 18, 2017
I love working here. Everyone is so friendly! I live the work ethic that everyone has. They really care for their employees and are made sure we know that we are appreciated.
Great mission
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 11, 2017
Avera Mckennan puts a strong emphasis on providing healthcare in a Christian environment to help those in need, regardless of their background, and that mission is truly alive. It is wonderful to hear patients and visitors share how they can "feel" this, as I go about my work day.
Opportunity
Manager of Reimbursement (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 11, 2017
It was a great opportunity to learn and develop in several areas with little constraints. You can learn and explore most softwares and processes.
If you are a self-starter you can learn easily.
Pros
Little oversight
Cons
Little teaching
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 22, 2017
everyday I would learn something new. It is a fast pace job that kept me going. I love to be busy and never board. I love helping the elderly that are in the hospital and other care facilities.
Great coworkers
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 21, 2017
There are many great employees at Avera but the patient population is very challenging at times. With pressure to cut costs the staffing ratios make for frequent difficult shifts.
Secure place to work
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 29, 2017
Great place to work, needs to offer better health insurance rates for employees. Very knowledgeable and helps you grow, when there is opportunity. Overall a great place.
People were fun to work with
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 13, 2017
The staff were generally dedicated. The hospital provided continuing education where needed. I didn't like the management. The least qualified people always seemed to get the promotions. Constructive criticism of management was quelled. Human resources put up a good front, but did not back employees when these issue were brought to there attention. The "McKennan Cares" motto was only about image. They were always ready to throw employees under the bus. The "customer is always right" was honored no matter how crazy the customer's demands were. This greatly affected employee moral.
Pros
Friendly dedicated staff.
Cons
Management with poor people skills, least qualified employees got promoted, Poor back up from HR, Lack of adequated compensation for added skills, continued reductions of promised benefites.
teamwork !
Linen Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 27, 2017
• Experienced working in medical facility to perform sterilizing/cleaning duties
• Demonstrate good organization and time management skills
• Work well under pressure while achieving team goals
• Ability to follow instructions and safety rules
Pros
love job teamwork
Cons
Liked work there over all
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gregory, SDFebruary 13, 2017
I enjoyed the people I worked with and I enjoyed spending time with the residents. I worked long hours there they were their if I need help it was like a family setting.
positive
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 6, 2017
Great facility with great hardworking people. the management is good and the staff are great. even had my baby born there it is so nice
Very busy place to work but staff is very friendly and helpful
Patient Care Technician/Therapy Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at work would be very busy with making the schedule and helping the therapist as well as the nurses. I learned a lot about wheelchairs and different types of therapy. The management is very easy to talk to and listens to what you are saying. My co-works were part of the reason I loved my job so much. They were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was trying to accommodate everyone's wishes into the schedule for the patients on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be seeing how the patients recover and get back to their normal everyday lives.
Pros
great environment and friendly staff
Cons
cafeteria is so expensive
Healthcare facility
Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 1, 2017
Diverse work load based on hospital census; good learning environment; excellent benefits; little opportunity for advancement.
Excellent pay and supportive atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Charge, Float RN) (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 20, 2016
This work environment offered opportunities for advancement and opportunities to be on committees, develop leadership skills, etc. This company also was open to suggestions and ideas about how to make things work. The pay was very good at this place as well. At this job you got to help others in a way that can change the patients life for the better.
Pros
pay, advancement opproutnities
Cons
limited hands on nursing care depending on what you are seeking to do
Avera is amazing and very employee friendly
Admissions Specialist, Patient Srv Rep, (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 26, 2016
Avera is a great place to work for, they care about their employees and go above and beyond for their patients. They have amazing benefits and great job internships if interested
Good first start
Volunteer Lab Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 21, 2016
As far as volunteer work goes, this is something that can have its benefits. With the help of the actual workers, it made things a lot easier to do he tasked assigned to me.
I had a Nepali client and every day i used to teach the client English but client pronounce every words wrong ,that situation was really fun.
Patient Care Technician- 3 East (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 18, 2016
When i was working a Home Health Aid ,i has a very typical time because i had a client who has paralyse. On my off day i went to the office and asked my manager regarding my client health problem and we both decide to do some little exercise.From next day i start doing some movement of my client joint .When i was working Home Health Aid i did not have any co-worker.The hardest part of my job was give bath for my client because of the paralyses.The enjoyable part of my job was my client was funny and the family was super nice.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
NO break .
Need to increase pay
EMR ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 17, 2016
The position is no longer interactive with the sites. I seems that to get ahead only depends on who you know, rather than ability. The company is experiencing growing pains and will struggle for a period of time.
Professional medical facility which makes patient care the #1 priority
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Pathology DepartmentJune 20, 2016
Great people at all levels of the company - Great Work culture
- Good Work Life balance - Departments work together to provide top notch medical care for patients