Avera McKennan Employee Reviews

Very busy place to work but staff is very friendly and helpful
Patient Care Technician/Therapy Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at work would be very busy with making the schedule and helping the therapist as well as the nurses. I learned a lot about wheelchairs and different types of therapy. The management is very easy to talk to and listens to what you are saying. My co-works were part of the reason I loved my job so much. They were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was trying to accommodate everyone's wishes into the schedule for the patients on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be seeing how the patients recover and get back to their normal everyday lives.
Pros
great environment and friendly staff
Cons
cafeteria is so expensive
Excellent pay and supportive atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Charge, Float RN) (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 20, 2016
This work environment offered opportunities for advancement and opportunities to be on committees, develop leadership skills, etc. This company also was open to suggestions and ideas about how to make things work. The pay was very good at this place as well. At this job you got to help others in a way that can change the patients life for the better.
Pros
pay, advancement opproutnities
Cons
limited hands on nursing care depending on what you are seeking to do
I had a Nepali client and every day i used to teach the client English but client pronounce every words wrong ,that situation was really fun.
Patient Care Technician- 3 East (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 18, 2016
When i was working a Home Health Aid ,i has a very typical time because i had a client who has paralyse. On my off day i went to the office and asked my manager regarding my client health problem and we both decide to do some little exercise.From next day i start doing some movement of my client joint .When i was working Home Health Aid i did not have any co-worker.The hardest part of my job was give bath for my client because of the paralyses.The enjoyable part of my job was my client was funny and the family was super nice.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
NO break .
Liked work there over all
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gregory, SDFebruary 13, 2017
I enjoyed the people I worked with and I enjoyed spending time with the residents. I worked long hours there they were their if I need help it was like a family setting.
Avera is amazing and very employee friendly
Admissions Specialist, Patient Srv Rep, (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 26, 2016
Avera is a great place to work for, they care about their employees and go above and beyond for their patients. They have amazing benefits and great job internships if interested
Healthcare facility
Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 1, 2017
Diverse work load based on hospital census; good learning environment; excellent benefits; little opportunity for advancement.
Good first start
Volunteer Lab Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 21, 2016
As far as volunteer work goes, this is something that can have its benefits. With the help of the actual workers, it made things a lot easier to do he tasked assigned to me.
Need to increase pay
EMR ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 17, 2016
The position is no longer interactive with the sites. I seems that to get ahead only depends on who you know, rather than ability. The company is experiencing growing pains and will struggle for a period of time.
Professional medical facility which makes patient care the #1 priority
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Pathology DepartmentJune 20, 2016
Great people at all levels of the company - Great Work culture
- Good Work Life balance - Departments work together to provide top notch medical care for patients
Float nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 8, 2015
As a registered nurse on the float pool I am experienced in orthopedics, neurology, short stay unit, and rehabilitation. I am scheduled in different areas throughout the week depending on needs. I report to managers in each specialty and work with each areas care teams. I enjoy the variety being a float nurse and also the opportunity to learn in different areas.
Always producive and easy going fun
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 1, 2015
Clean rooms or areas of the hospital. Joked around with coworkers, well also learning about different ways to sanitize and not get rid of the infection/disease. The hardest part of the job was making sure to follow all precautions when going into certain rooms.
Pros
Discounted food that was taken out of checks, easy going coworkers
Cons
Low staffing
Busy environment
Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 23, 2015
I would wash and sterilize instruments used in surgery. The department was very organized and the flow was very efficient. However, the management and some co-workers were not very efficient at all.
The hardest part of the job would have been when the washers or sterilizers weren't working or some instruments were misplaced.
I enjoyed being called from the operating room to bring a certain item to them quickly. I loved the busy, fast-paced days.
Pros
Fast-paced
Cons
Poor management
They gave me my start in critical care. Excellent facility
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 3, 2013
Typical day: Very busy. Plan for a crisis to happen so organize well and get as much done as possible when you can. Be organized, Critical thinking skills in high mode.
What I learned: I got my feet wet in Critical care at Avera. I was taught well, as in one year, instead of two, I became a traveler and survived.
Co-workers: All top notch and excellent. Best.
Hardest part of job: Getting used to nights and learning everything I could very overwhelming and frightening at times. I hope I never forget how I felt then when I help a new grad.. So far I have not.
Most enjoyable Part: successfully seeing one of your patient's graduate to the next lower level of care and then make it home.
Pros
Great introduction to Critical Care
Cons
Blizzards
Outpatient Endoscopy
Admit/recovery/procedure RN (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 10, 2014
My day at work consists of one of 3 roles - admitting patients for procedures, assisting physicians in procedures technically and by sedating patients, or recovering and discharging patients after procedures. I also float as needed to 2 other pre-admission areas and also to PACU in the main hospital OR. Management is very visible and available in our unit, my co-workers are like family to me. The hardest part of my job is when assisting patients and families with difficult diagnosis after a procedure and the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing those same patients and families come back after surgical/medical treatment to receive a clean bill of health!!
Pros
Great opportunity to expand skills, great group of doctors to work with
Workplace that provided a culture of care for every patient
Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 31, 2014
-A typical day at work as a charge nurse would be rounding with physicians. Helping co-workers in needed situations. Making staffing assignments throughout the shift.
-I was provided with several hands-on learning opportunities with different patient situations.
-Management was good, however there was not a lot of interaction within my position.
-I had great co-workers. Most were able to ask questions if they didn't know what they were doing. I knew who to go to for the questions that I did have.
-The hardest part of the job was not knowing what was going to happen throughout the shift and trying to be a head of situations so they did not become out of control.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing patients get better.
Critical Care Nurse
Intensive Care/Bum Unit Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 11, 2013
Typical day was caring for patient in the intensive critical care setting of a hospital. Dealing with complex diagnosis in all areas of the body. Consistent monitoring of vital signs, titrating medication for life stability and effectively communication with Doctor for plan of care and relaying this to the family. Please see resume for further details.
All in all a good place to work with mostly a positive environment.
Sterile Processsing Tech (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 28, 2012
A typical day would be to get organized and make sure everything was ready and prepared for cases. Always learning new procedures to better make things run smoothly. Management to liked sit in office without any hands on activity. Co-workers enjoyed having a good time, at the same time making sure everything was properly taken care of. Hardest part of job I would have to say was having to deal with the different body fluids and blood left on instruments and in trays after surgeries. Not hard actually, but sometimes not a pleasurable experience. Most enjoyable would be the new things I was always learning and working with a great team.
Pros
aways learning new things and working with a great team.
Cons
some nurses seemed to thrive on being rude and acting superior without purpose.
Staff was amazing to work with.
Business Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 8, 2013
My jobs was to maintain patient accounts. I worked closely with patients and insurance company's to be sure the billing process went smoothly. Answered any questions and performed duties to get the bills paid. My co-workers taught me how to be calm and accurate for this position in which helped me grow as a person and co-worker.
Excellent placey to work.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 22, 2012
A typical day of work would be cleaning roomsof the hospital. I learned they had different values everday. The management team were great, nice people. Some of my co-workers were nice people. Hardest part of the job was working long hours while pregnant and working two jobs. The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere.
Pros
pay
Cons
co-workers
Great co-workers.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 11, 2015
Good place to work. Enjoy the staff I work with. Enjoyed the variety of working on all the different floors and areas of the hospital.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avera McKennan. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2