AVERITT

AVERITT Employer Reviews

productive and fun workplace
Package Handler (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 20, 2014
packing and unpacking trucks co workers were great hardest part of job was pallet stacking
Had good medical benefits, 401K, and Employee Insurance
Professional Driver (Former Employee), Cookeville, TNAugust 18, 2014
Pros: cares for employees, personal time off for emergencies and family leave. good benefits.
Cons: often dot requirements clash with load planners delivery times, drivers under stress and duress, lots of sensors in and on truck, too much micro managing now, paid miles less than actual miles, driver is robbed of at least 10% of hub miles, driver's actual miles not accurately recorded, company only records "load miles", load miles are based on some pre-arranged table.
Overall, it was a good job. They had strange rules at first, like not having an inverter, not able to take spouse very much, no pets, and similar. But, after time went by things relaxed and rules were made more reasonable and practical, for the most part (still no pets). Can't believe I got yelled at for having an inverter in my truck, which are very necessary, and it was a company mechanic who installed it. Ambiguous rules and the rationalle was, "they could change the rules at any time". Yet, it wasn't a rule changed by corporate, but a rule based on the personal descretion of a boss, at that time. But, very soon, due to the new laws about truck idle, Tri-Paks were being installed, which included high wattage inverters. I had many hard times making a schedule based on the inexperienced planners and often got scheduled to make a delivery to a customer on a holiday, who was closed that day. No amount of argument would convince my immediate supervisor they were wrong, yet it proved out that I was correct in the first place. Many disagreements were as a result of a bad load planner or a bull headed fleet manager allowing them to cause you to be put in a bad situation with your log and maximum duty time allowed per week as per DOT requirements. I can't say all was bad, as it is a high stress job for all concerned. Most of the time, reasonable minds prevailed, and the more experienced you became, the more your judgement was taken into consideration, and trusted. Averitt was the only trucking company I stayed with, because the good outweighed the bad and they at least allowed me to take personal time off for my church activities and to care for my mother when she had her strokes, and for other emergencies. They were a considerate company overall, that cared for it's employees. I got home most weekends and holidays, and got to take my wife on trips more often. All in all, a good company.
Averitt is flexible and friendly atmosphere
Canadian Export Coordinator (Current Employee), Erlanger KYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: friendly laid back atmosphere, great co-workers
Cons: long commute, office personnel has been left out of pay increases for the last 3 yrs
A typical day at work is interacting with co-workers in a friendly and joking manner all while getting the important stuff done. I have learned a great deal about the shipping industry and how important it is to have reliable co-workers. The hardest part of my job is obtaining the correct paperwork if it is not provided with the shipment at time of pick up. Shippers and Customers do not like the job not being done right at time of pickup. I really enjoy corresponding and helping customers and shippers get their freight into Canada.
na
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNJuly 7, 2014
not a bad company to work for more interested in doing local runs and they don't seem to come along to often
Good Pay, no job security
Dock Associate (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: management, advancement oppurtunity
Was a good job, but working in a place that is based on seniority to advance and is also suceptible to gas prices does not bode well overall. Managment was basically non existent and when they were is was most likely to chastise you for one thing or the other. Positive re inforcement was non existant.
committed/dependable
Dock Worker (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJune 18, 2014
Teamwork / Together everyone achieve mission overall great company to be employed by.
Management at the Nissan Plant.
Yard Switcher (Former Employee), Smyrna, TNJune 11, 2014
Pros: fun people to work with.
Cons: management does not care about you.
This job was a great job. Loved it. But of course it is not perfect. If you need money and have no problem working 6 days a week, when told that 6 days a week happens very rarely but truly the only time you don't have 6 days week is a holiday, also overtime and no time with love ones, this is your job. You have a idea and it works, good luck on you idea working with other shifts. It is the only job I have had that the 3 Managers do not work together to make life easy for everyone. It is the same job every minute for every shift but not for Averitt. Every shift is so mismanaged that all shifts thinks the other is not doing there job. If you want to take it up the flag pole to the next person. No problem just wait 6 months till he finally shows up for your shift to introduce himself. Oh do you want to work your butt off while others do the easy job because you did the stupid thing by showing you are able to do the hard stuff. No problem. But sincerely this job needs to be a 12 hour shift not 8 with 3 shifts. So you get time to be with family. Also rotating jobs so you can learn everything,and feel like everyone pulls there own and not get burned out from doing the same job everyday. It is another job that hopes your are so desperate and broke and to scared to quit that you put up with it all and get paid nothing at all. If you think I am joking get the job they need you and will give you a $1500 bonus just to stay for 6 months. The best part of this job are the people you work with that are not management.
Nice company to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Del Rio, TXMay 19, 2014
Pros: benfits 100
Cons: no cons
Star early in morning, free weekends, exelent pay, vacation and holidays paid too. exelent coworkers
Driver (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits (reasonably cheap), driver rewards/bonuses
Cons: sometimes they miss on the work/life balance and can have really short weekends (as driver)
Been with the company 9 years total. Worked on dock, worked in corporate headquarters and now drive. Overall please with the company. Managers are competent and good in my book. Usually always friendly and willing to help (this goes for the business culture in general). If you have any issues you can always get a hold of someone in the responsible position.
Material Processing Center Team Leader (Former Employee), Vance, ALMay 12, 2014
I worked for Averitt for five years and overall they were a good company to work for. They had great benefits and the atmosphere was a team atmosphere. I really liked this company and I hated when they lost their contract.
Great work for employees who are single or like to work nights
Front Line Leader (Current Employee), Orlando, FLApril 28, 2014
Operational hours are very difficult on workers with families.
Transportation specialist
Account Executive/Transportation Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 25, 2014
Pros: good service organization in my opinion best in ltl/truckload industry
Cons: corporate office has no interest in paying top dollar for great sale sperformance.
Local management and service center staffs are great to work with throughout the company. Pricing dept/corporate office can be frustrating to work with in securing new business. Very inconsistent in pricing offered and company places low to medium value on sales force.
Great Family Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee), CantonApril 20, 2014
Wonderful Company.. Wonderful Opportunities. Wonderful team environment.
Driver Liason at MBUSI (Current Employee), vance, AlApril 14, 2014
Great company but certain terminals can use more integrity
Best place I've ever worked!
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Cookeville, TNApril 6, 2014
Pros: wellness center, fitness center, great insurance
Cons: none!
I've been at Averitt for about 6 months now in the call center and I absolutely love it! The job is challenging, but rewarding. There hasn't been a day that I've dreaded going to work. The leaders are knowledgeable and are willing to work with you if you need time off. Great benefits like the fitness center and wellness center on site! Overall, wonderful place to work!!
Jump Ship While You Can
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: low pay, differential treatment for certain minority groups, poor management
I love and enjoy the benefits for my family. Unfortunately that's about it. The shop is disgusting and I'm sure many OSHA rules are being broken. People are leaving so quickly. Management will write you up for any little thing if you are an African American.

When you go to orientation in TN, they make you feel so special. Then you come to your place and it's as if the whole thing was a scam. The only reason I received a raise is because I found out everyone was making more than me and I am one of the hardest workers they have. Even dock workers made more than me. Can you imagine how that would make someone feel?

I've witnessed many things that has displeased me with this company. I will remain here until I find something better. No overtime pay, special treatment for Hispanics, nasty conditions, and a manager that knows NOTHING about our field.

If they would simply clean the shop, give raises accordingly, provide management training, and have a competitive starting salary, it would be a lot better
Not enough salary for the added responsibility each year
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Florence, SCFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: customer & employee relations
Cons: salary lower than responsibility handed down.
Sheduled drivers and dock workers each day.
Dspatched drivers and constant communication with drivers of any changes during the day.
Motivate the pm dockworkers to get the job done.

Enjoyed interaction with customers throughout the day.
arrasment managment
Truck Driver (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLFebruary 6, 2014
poor company in management hard part when you work with

dispacher like they have
Wonderful place to build a career
Human Resources (Former Employee), Cookeville, TNJanuary 30, 2014
a lot of job advancement opportunities, Managers are very helpful, and are dedicated to help you reach your goals.
Fun job
Mechanic (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJanuary 28, 2014
Repair rigs and trailers with good people to help you along the way.

About AVERITT

We're going somewhere! Working at Averitt isn't about punching the clock. It's about working with people who trust you, serving – Read more