Averitt Employee Reviews in United States

For the most part. A very good crew.
Truck Driver/ Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Richland, MSNovember 18, 2015
Most days are good. This time of the year it get very cold on the dock. Most of my co-work are great people to work with. Once you get use to handle all the different items being shipped, not so bad.
Not really
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNNovember 5, 2015
Grate place to work but some diver manager's did not know their job let you sit for all most 24 hrs without loads . they just don't care. I tried to change my DM so many times but they refused.
Good
Productive and friendly environment
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2015
Fun work with great leadership. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside with my co workers. Very exciting and ability to move up.
Most Associate coworkers are friendly
Truck Load (Current Employee) –  Atlanta GAOctober 20, 2015
Is a decent company to work for to gain exp, Good communication with managers most of the time and Cheap health coverage, cool perks & home weekends (Friday evening sometimes) and going back out Sunday night or Monday morning. Just the headcrack is you might be lucky and get @ least 2,000 miles of better thruout the week or you might be sitting and waiting for a load assignment about 12-23 hrs and only get 1200-1600 miles. Not consistent with what your check going to look like every week when you have bills & being out not home making the same if you was home every night. Plus if you wanting to get something local & be home every day after 6mos...GOOD LUCK! Especially in a the larger service centers like Atlanta coming from coworker associates
Pros
Health Benefits, Reset, fuel, shower & wash trucks at service centers most of the time, less time at truck stops
Cons
lack of miles, Dental plan not so great
great atmosphere
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 20, 2015
good place to work for good people good management and good training been with them for almost a year now and my only complaint is they slow down at certain times in the year
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
down time
best employer in the ltl business
Sales (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 20, 2015
Worker for Averitt for over 17 years and they are the best company that I have ever worked for . Great working environment . The corporate officers are great people to work for and this trickles down to the regional vp's and the terminal managers.
Pros
great working enviroment
Cons
need to increase compensation across the board .
Stress Free working place.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXOctober 18, 2015
I believe that Averitt Express is a great company to work for. Management treats employees with respect. Averitt provides everyone with uniforms and really make you feel apart of the company.
Pros
Good home time, flexible.
Cons
Advancement.
Student...Just a number!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2015
I choose Averitt for the starting pay..600 a week. Unfortunatly I made more money during training that I ever made running loads. My orientation class had over 100 students. .Averitt hires 4000 new employees a year and they run 1500 trucks in their truckload division...meaning I never made full time wages. I would file for partial unemployment benifits the next time this senieario happens to me.
Averitt runs short runs zip to zip this means you'll lose 10% before you leave. Averitt will also have you running days and nights during any given week and expect you to take these loads. I express a fear of doing that and they told me that refusal to take a load was grounds for termination.
Averitt is a great place to train if your only interested in training.
There are other positions you might be able to transfer to but if you come from a large service center chances are you won't be able to because of seniority.. If you apply to OTL ( on tour logistics ) you'll be given good miles and pay otherwise you'll sit in your new uniforms at a service center truck stop or rest area wondering when your next load assignment will come.
The service centers are nice and convient but the Averitt staff that work there are pretty dismissive of your presence because they see so many drivers for truckload and know that they are somewhat like a plastic bag torn from the orientation system about to be replaced by yet another student driver.
Good luck driver.
Pros
Free food, new uniforms, late model equipment
Cons
No miles, not treated like you matter or make a difference no matter how good you are.
Consistently Inconsistent
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  NashvilleOctober 5, 2015
I Choose Averitt because it sold itself as a family company with more home time then the others, A chance for advancement, plenty of miles and new and clean trucks. During orientation, that appears to be all true. After orientation I get my first truck and it was a total wreck. Worse of all it wasn't cleaned at all. After 3 weeks of requesting for repairs to be done it was finally completed. Soon after the APU gave out and I had to get a replacement truck because they refused to fix the truck I worked hard to clean. So they gave me a different truck that was filthy and in need of repairs also. Considering that they charge drivers a cleaning fee after they leave, you would think the trucks would be cleaned before. My other issue is the lack of miles. I've talked to other Averitt drivers who believe like I do that Averitt purposely try to limit miles to the drivers. I never seen a week with more than 1800 miles. So my time away from home seemed to be almost wasted. Fleet managers switched every week, they didn't understand times and distances of deliveries and made it tough to work for.
Pros
Medical is cheap and Service centers
Cons
Everything else
Ok but not the best
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNSeptember 16, 2015
My trainer needs someone undercover person to ride with to see all of the things he's doing wrong. And he needs to learn to talk about things that are job related and not politics. No one wants to hear that.
Pros
Over all good company
Cons
Has a few bad apples needs throwing out.
good truck co
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 15, 2015
OTR driver its a learning experience driving from one state to the next. It is nice to see diffrent part of the country. delivering and unloading trailer
Trucking
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GA - Atlanta, GAAugust 5, 2015
Ran everywhere to get the job done. 10 hour days minimum based on the trucker's log of 600 miles a week or 60 hours at straight time for hourly employees before overtime would be paid.
Job duties included yard work and constant requests to run loads in and out of state.
Management was very guarded and untrusting of hourly employees. Nothing to be learned that I did not already know.
Example of co-workers - Co-workers tried to get the union in, were then promoted to supervisors, and pointed the finger at hourly employees as who initiated the push to become a union.
The hardest part of the job was being maligned daily. The pay was average, but definitely not worth the headache.
Cons
Not a family. Abusive to workers.
Everyday has new challenges and I am always up for a challenge
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 4, 2015
I work the Midnight shift and Unload and Load Trucks for delivery.

I have learned that the trucking industry has more ways to take care of customers and employees.

Management always is there to help and take care of the customer and most of all the employee's.

Co-workers are helpful and fun to work with and to help.

The hardest thing about my job is getting use to working the mid-night shift.

The most Enjoyable part of my job is; the everyday challenges that presents itself with different types of shipments and the way to handle them.
Pros
Profit sharing, co-workers, Managers
Cons
Mid-night shift.
Very awesome place to gain transportation experience
Customer Technology Support (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJune 9, 2015
Struggles with career growth and advancement. It has been a pleasure to meet and learn all of the associates and processes.
Decent Job
Driver (Straight Truck, Sprinter Van)/ Dockhand (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 3, 2015
I work dock in the early morning and deliver freight in a sprinter van after. I learned how to back in trailers with semi-truck. Management is fairly well. Co-workers are decent. Hardest part of the job is working the schedule ( coming in at 1am). I like driving the van to make the deliveries.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
My schedule is not compliant with my off work activities
Welcome back to high school
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJune 1, 2015
"Prestigious" job for the area, and maybe good to work for outside of the billing dept., but definitely not a great place here. Bullies, cliques, and immature bosses.
Cons
15 minutes for lunch, held over every single night (without overtime), frigid bosses, little room for growth, sink-or-swim management style
Productive work place with good atmosphere.
Tractor Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 2, 2015
Productive work place with good atmosphere.Everyone is responsible to make his job well done,good team work.Good opportunity to learn about the new equipment and technology.
not a bad place to work at bad planners good fleet managers
truck load driver (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNMay 2, 2015
they try to get you home but because of the poor planning you get low mileage along with low pay unable to pay bills good fleet managers bad planning causes you to not get the mileage
Pros
good service centers to stay at
Cons
planners need to be more into drivers
Decent to work for
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNApril 29, 2015
Great place to work and very conscious of needs for off time in family emergencies. Claim to be regional but end up being OTR and out more than expected once get on. If want to actually be home as much as they say they can get you home end up with low miles. Have to be willing to stay out few weeks to get decent miles. Other than that a top rate place to work.
Would not recommend anyone to work here.
Dock Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 22, 2015
Treat employees badly we work thru breaks most of the time company moral is very low. Never know when you will be getting off and hours are long.
Bad working hours.
Pros
DECENT PAY
Cons
BAD HOURS, LONG DRIVE FOR SOME, LOW MORAL, WORKING IN THE ENVIRONMENT.