AVI-SPL Employee Reviews

review
Employee (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 16, 2017
No bonuses or raises. Everything would be perfect if they would recognize their long-time employees. Otherwise, they are close to home and I cannot complain there.
Best Job
Customer Service Specialist/ Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 11, 2016
A typical day was busy. Customer service and troubleshooting skills.
Management was awesome. Always willing to fight for you. Could not ask for better co-workers we were a team, a family. Hardest part of the job was having to leave it. The most enjoyable part was working with people all over the world, working with great people, it felt like i was really doing something good.
Pros
great pay great benefits flexible
Cons
schedule
Always changing with Technology
Lead Technician III (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 29, 2016
If you like to travel this is the job for you. From Install, Service and Programming this company does it all. You can make big money if you don't mind travel and overtime.
Pros
Good people, Competitive wages
Cons
Travel, Travel, Tavel
Service Sales Rep - Exclusive Enterprise Accts
Service Renewal Rep - Exclusive Accts (Former Employee) –  Home-officeSeptember 27, 2016
Worked there for almost (2) years.

Renewal of annual ProAV and VTC maintenance for enterprise and exclusive Accounts - East

Hardest part of the job was unstable vendor certification status that would preclude being able to sell customer centric service and often would have to resell manufacturer direct services rather than value- ad AVISPL service offerings

Most enjoyable was working closely with the various sale office staff to position best fit hybrid models to ensure maximum adoption and world class customer satisfaction
Politics a factor
CAD Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33634August 20, 2016
When you are hired to do a specific job and the people you are under seem to control your daily tasks, it makes it difficult to get your job accomplished. Politics played a big factor in this company. When the Project Manager had no knowledge of AutoCAD and depended on generic drawings such as Visual Basics to relay his accomplishments and thoughts and when that was not done, they would run or complain to management that the job or task was not accomplished to their liking or standards.
Pros
Technology, support staff outstanding
Cons
Politics
Same as before
DIRECTOR OF SERVICE OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 15, 2016
As I stated before, I worked here for 15 1/2 years as part of the Hotel and Event Production Services Division. Enjoyed almost every day until th ebusiness was sold.
Great Company for Education
Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 27, 2016
you are never done training here and you are always learning the new, best technology practices.

co-wokers are friendly and knowledgeable, there is a pool of knowledge at this company if you are eager to learn.
Pros
steady income, training
Cons
managment always changing, no pay increases
Not the best place to work
A/V Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 4, 2016
Lead tech threw me under the bus to save his own butt, management didn't even check stories to see what the truth was. Basically got fired just because, even while doing an amazing job.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
can get fired at the drop of a hat
Top of the line great co to work for
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Top of the line, great co to work for. Great benefits and fair pay. Very professional team. Continuing education is always encouraged and often sponsored.
Audio Visual Industry
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 20, 2016
The audio visual industry is a very unique industry to most people however, no day is ever the same. I love how dynamic the field is, with being able to make your own schedules, deal with many different people and cultures. There is a lot of stress that can consume you, but that is the challenge, to have to find a way to work with itt, and not let it take you down.

I love working with customers and people in general. The most enjoyable part of the job is when things are successful.
There seems to be a lack of direction from the CEO
account executive (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 8, 2016
The Management seems to lack direction and there seems to be a lot of finger pointing within the organization when things don't go well.
Pros
They have a good marketing department
Cons
they don't pay technicians or engineers well enough compared to the market.
This was a leader in the Industry
Medical Division Channel Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2015
I learned a lot and worked with a great group of people. AVI lost its way with merger of SPL and the company being more about the numbers rather than the loyal employees.
Very nice company to work for.
Executive Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 16, 2015
AVI-SPL has been great! The management listens to your comments and concerns. The companies AVI has contracts with are also very accommodating and the employees are very friendly.
Fun but hard
Project Manager & CHESM Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAOctober 6, 2015
Get ready to kiss your personal life good bye but at least the people you work with are great. Management is supportive but inconsistent.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
low pay long hours
Nice place to work
Technician, (MIAB) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2015
This company is always giving back to their employees and trying to make it fun. Co-workers are great. Great training's available for employees. Hard to get raises and no 401k match.
Pros
Fun place to work, good schedule
Cons
Hard to get raises and no 401k match.
Not what I expected
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 24, 2015
I was hired as a Technician Level 2, making a half-decent wage, but things went downhill very quickly. Everything is done over the internet at this company. Upon being hired, you're given an Iphone, a Lenovo laptop and a very small van, but don't let that make you feel like you matter to this company, you could be terminated at the slightest concern by management.

Virtually all communications are done through email, and management has little interest in speaking over the phone, or in person, unless absolutely necessary. You'll be put through an OSHA 30 hour course that you take online at home, and the hours are paid. There are a few other little things they make you do, like diversity training and drug and alcohol abuse training, both of which are pretty much a joke, but still have some good points.

The company will make you feel as if you are someone they have every intention of keeping on board, sparing no expense to get you going. My stint lasted about 1 month, at which point I was terminated for some petty and negligible reasons, with zero discussion about why those things even happened, or the severity of the issues and how they could be corrected. A company who actually cares about the people working for it, will make an effort to discuss problems, not just terminate someone without notice, that's unprofessional.

Some of the people who work there are rude or weird, but most are pretty friendly. AVI-SPL uses a lot of sub-contractors, and not so many payrolled employees. I personally think that management does a terrible job, atrocious, actually. They need to
  more... hire people to fill certain positions that will actually improve the company on the ground level, not the corporate level. With all of the time and effort put into building their IT infrastructure, you'd think they would have the bugs worked out as far as engineering, integration, project management, etc. go, but you'd be wrong, it's a complete mess.

I personally would NOT recommend working for this company, as even the slightest little things can get you canned. It's not worth it, and they don't even pay as well as some other companies do.
The benefits are beyond confusing, and didn't seem good to me, but one good thing is, they don't install screens and projectors themselves, they have subs do that, for now, which cuts down on the hard work you have to do as a tech. Just, don't mess up, that's the job of the engineers and managers, they can mess up all day long and nobody bats an eye.
Pros
Paid training, laptop, van, online schedule, paystubs, etc.
Cons
Pay, expectations, management, healthcare, communication, turnover rate, extra phone to deal with
Very Productive
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLMarch 20, 2015
To be honest I find it a very stressful work environment. Work early and late hours. Most of the employees are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is everything is centered around the Production Associate/Operations. Approximately 35 people in our location along plus corporate come to you for answers. Must answer to corporate on all aspects and do your job too. Continuous conference calls and high expectations expected of you.

Most enjoyable part is that I have been in this industry for 27 years now and I know the internal operations of the job. Get along with "everyone" and we do laugh and have fun occasionally.
Pros
I am trusted to make the right decisions for our location.
Cons
No training on how to do the job, work 24/7 bascially via iPhone and the salary for the amount of work performed.
Great Environment and People
AVI-SPL (Current Employee) –  AVI-SPLDecember 1, 2014
This Company has some of the smartest and talented people you'll ever work with in your life. They are very knowledgable and can teach you a whole lot. Being that it is still a Corporation, as much as one might think they are taking care of the employess, there are still a few improvments and lessons to be learned in that area. Over all nothing that would stop one from recomending this Company for a solid work environment, decent paying wages, and job security. So I give it the 4 out of 5 star ratinig.
Pros
Managers, team leads, and even Uppermanagement are Fantastic
Cons
There curretlyis no match on the 401k, There are no individual reviews, There are also no raises - even to employees who've been here 8+ years.
Productive work environment with great business associates
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 8, 2014
This position has been very rewarding and educational. Learning how to implent procedures and execute daily functions to meet deadlines within a structured day has allowed me to continue to add to my skills and make a very valuable asset to my employer.
Pros
Business associates and co-workers.
Cons
Recently added more responsiblities and cut o/t.
Steady Work great hours
OnSite Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2014
What I love most about AVIS-SPL is the steady work and fantastic hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AVI-SPL. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9