AVI-SPL Employee Reviews in United States

Same as before
DIRECTOR OF SERVICE OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 15, 2016
As I stated before, I worked here for 15 1/2 years as part of the Hotel and Event Production Services Division. Enjoyed almost every day until th ebusiness was sold.
Not the best place to work
A/V Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 4, 2016
Lead tech threw me under the bus to save his own butt, management didn't even check stories to see what the truth was. Basically got fired just because, even while doing an amazing job.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
can get fired at the drop of a hat
Top of the line great co to work for
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Top of the line, great co to work for. Great benefits and fair pay. Very professional team. Continuing education is always encouraged and often sponsored.
Audio Visual Industry
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 20, 2016
The audio visual industry is a very unique industry to most people however, no day is ever the same. I love how dynamic the field is, with being able to make your own schedules, deal with many different people and cultures. There is a lot of stress that can consume you, but that is the challenge, to have to find a way to work with itt, and not let it take you down.

I love working with customers and people in general. The most enjoyable part of the job is when things are successful.
There seems to be a lack of direction from the CEO
account executive (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 8, 2016
The Management seems to lack direction and there seems to be a lot of finger pointing within the organization when things don't go well.
Pros
They have a good marketing department
Cons
they don't pay technicians or engineers well enough compared to the market.
This was a leader in the Industry
Medical Division Channel Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2015
I learned a lot and worked with a great group of people. AVI lost its way with merger of SPL and the company being more about the numbers rather than the loyal employees.
Very nice company to work for.
Executive Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 16, 2015
AVI-SPL has been great! The management listens to your comments and concerns. The companies AVI has contracts with are also very accommodating and the employees are very friendly.
Fun but hard
Project Manager & CHESM Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAOctober 6, 2015
Get ready to kiss your personal life good bye but at least the people you work with are great. Management is supportive but inconsistent.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
low pay long hours
Nice place to work
Technician, (MIAB) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2015
This company is always giving back to their employees and trying to make it fun. Co-workers are great. Great training's available for employees. Hard to get raises and no 401k match.
Pros
Fun place to work, good schedule
Cons
Hard to get raises and no 401k match.
Not what I expected
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 24, 2015
I was hired as a Technician Level 2, making a half-decent wage, but things went downhill very quickly. Everything is done over the internet at this company. Upon being hired, you're given an Iphone, a Lenovo laptop and a very small van, but don't let that make you feel like you matter to this company, you could be terminated at the slightest concern by management.

Virtually all communications are done through email, and management has little interest in speaking over the phone, or in person, unless absolutely necessary. You'll be put through an OSHA 30 hour course that you take online at home, and the hours are paid. There are a few other little things they make you do, like diversity training and drug and alcohol abuse training, both of which are pretty much a joke, but still have some good points.

The company will make you feel as if you are someone they have every intention of keeping on board, sparing no expense to get you going. My stint lasted about 1 month, at which point I was terminated for some petty and negligible reasons, with zero discussion about why those things even happened, or the severity of the issues and how they could be corrected. A company who actually cares about the people working for it, will make an effort to discuss problems, not just terminate someone without notice, that's unprofessional.

Some of the people who work there are rude or weird, but most are pretty friendly. AVI-SPL uses a lot of sub-contractors, and not so many payrolled employees. I personally think that management does a terrible job, atrocious, actually. They need to
  more... hire people to fill certain positions that will actually improve the company on the ground level, not the corporate level. With all of the time and effort put into building their IT infrastructure, you'd think they would have the bugs worked out as far as engineering, integration, project management, etc. go, but you'd be wrong, it's a complete mess.

I personally would NOT recommend working for this company, as even the slightest little things can get you canned. It's not worth it, and they don't even pay as well as some other companies do.
The benefits are beyond confusing, and didn't seem good to me, but one good thing is, they don't install screens and projectors themselves, they have subs do that, for now, which cuts down on the hard work you have to do as a tech. Just, don't mess up, that's the job of the engineers and managers, they can mess up all day long and nobody bats an eye.
Pros
Paid training, laptop, van, online schedule, paystubs, etc.
Cons
Pay, expectations, management, healthcare, communication, turnover rate, extra phone to deal with
Very Productive
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLMarch 20, 2015
To be honest I find it a very stressful work environment. Work early and late hours. Most of the employees are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is everything is centered around the Production Associate/Operations. Approximately 35 people in our location along plus corporate come to you for answers. Must answer to corporate on all aspects and do your job too. Continuous conference calls and high expectations expected of you.

Most enjoyable part is that I have been in this industry for 27 years now and I know the internal operations of the job. Get along with "everyone" and we do laugh and have fun occasionally.
Pros
i am trusted to make the right decisions for our location.
Cons
no training on how to do the job, work 24/7 bascially via iphone and the salary for the amount of work performed.
Great Environment and People
AVI-SPL (Current Employee) –  AVI-SPLDecember 1, 2014
This Company has some of the smartest and talented people you'll ever work with in your life. They are very knowledgable and can teach you a whole lot. Being that it is still a Corporation, as much as one might think they are taking care of the employess, there are still a few improvments and lessons to be learned in that area. Over all nothing that would stop one from recomending this Company for a solid work environment, decent paying wages, and job security. So I give it the 4 out of 5 star ratinig.
Pros
managers, team leads, and even uppermanagement are fantastic
Cons
there curretlyis no match on the 401k, there are no individual reviews, there are also no raises - even to employees who've been here 8+ years.
Productive work environment with great business associates
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 8, 2014
This position has been very rewarding and educational. Learning how to implent procedures and execute daily functions to meet deadlines within a structured day has allowed me to continue to add to my skills and make a very valuable asset to my employer.
Pros
business associates and co-workers.
Cons
recently added more responsiblities and cut o/t.
Steady Work great hours
OnSite Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2014
What I love most about AVIS-SPL is the steady work and fantastic hours.
Service Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2014
Great company
Great people to work for
Training provided has been great
Pros
training
Cons
no raise for 3 years
great atmosphere not very friendly or secure
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TampaApril 14, 2014
work to meet the dead line
submit excel spreadsheet for hotel Revenue
occasionally talk to customer about past due account
always new project to approve making sure they have all the requirements for approval.
Pros
cake monday, donuts everyother week
Cons
healthcare
A great place to work.
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMarch 19, 2014
The people are really friendly, and care about what you're going through. It's not just work, it's a family. There are times where you may slip and go unnoticed with your work or exactly what you do. But credit 9/10 is always given where it's due.
Pros
great people, talent, good content, fun
AVI-SPL Great Company - lots of perks..
Account Receivables (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 17, 2014
Work day - well balanced day. some days busy, but mosly under control.work independently.
Learned - I have learned so much about the Top AV companies out there for example naming just a few: Polycom, Panasonic, Sharp, Mitsubishi,Sony, and so much more..
Management - Work direct with VP and Director of the Company. Had great - rapor. and still do..
Co-Workers - Have great co-workers Skills - get along well with all.
Hardest part of my job - was having the transition to NY Location.
Enjoyable part of my Job - was that I was able to work independently, and was fully responsible for my overall task with no issues.. Just missed and love what I did at AVI-SPL..
Pros
free lunch, going to conventions, seminars. meetings etc..
Cons
yes we are entitled to short morning and afternoons breaks.. good thing..
Exciting Industry
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHFebruary 24, 2014
Being in the AV industry is an exciting experience. This industry is forever evolving and I am honored to contribute to this field and to watch its progress throughout the years. This opportunity is invaluable and I will treasure the industry and the skills I have developed always.
Innovative and Always Changing Technologies
Director, Global Conference Production & Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 20, 2014
Each day at AVI-SPL consisted of the following: updates on videoconference cases and tickets, as well as new client projects.

These projects required a cross functional engagement across multiple teams and often channel partners to ensure successful completion.

Although the clients' requests and demands were varied, we were able to support their needs via new processes (automated and manual).
Pros
exposure to new audio / video components
Cons
limited staffing

2.9