AVI-SPL Employee Reviews

Not what I expected
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee), Herndon, VAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Paid training, laptop, van, online schedule, paystubs, etc.
Cons: Pay, expectations, management, healthcare, communication, turnover rate, extra phone to deal with
I was hired as a Technician Level 2, making a half-decent wage, but things went downhill very quickly. Everything is done over the internet at this company. Upon being hired, you're given an Iphone, a Lenovo laptop and a very small van, but don't let that make you feel like you matter to this company, you could be terminated at the slightest concern by management.

Virtually all communications are done through email, and management has little interest in speaking over the phone, or in person, unless absolutely necessary. You'll be put through an OSHA 30 hour course that you take online at home, and the hours are paid. There are a few other little things they make you do, like diversity training and drug and alcohol abuse training, both of which are pretty much a joke, but still have some good points.

The company will make you feel as if you are someone they have every intention of keeping on board, sparing no expense to get you going. My stint lasted about 1 month, at which point I was terminated for some petty and negligible reasons, with zero discussion about why those things even happened, or the severity of the issues and how they could be corrected. A company who actually cares about the people working for it, will make an effort to discuss problems, not just terminate someone without notice, that's unprofessional.

Some of the people who work there are rude or weird, but most are pretty friendly. AVI-SPL uses a lot of sub-contractors, and not so many payrolled employees. I personally think that management does a terrible job, atrocious, actually. They need to – more... hire people to fill certain positions that will actually improve the company on the ground level, not the corporate level. With all of the time and effort put into building their IT infrastructure, you'd think they would have the bugs worked out as far as engineering, integration, project management, etc. go, but you'd be wrong, it's a complete mess.

I personally would NOT recommend working for this company, as even the slightest little things can get you canned. It's not worth it, and they don't even pay as well as some other companies do.
The benefits are beyond confusing, and didn't seem good to me, but one good thing is, they don't install screens and projectors themselves, they have subs do that, for now, which cuts down on the hard work you have to do as a tech. Just, don't mess up, that's the job of the engineers and managers, they can mess up all day long and nobody bats an eye. – less
Very Productive
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Deerfield Beach, FLMarch 20, 2015
Pros: i am trusted to make the right decisions for our location.
Cons: no training on how to do the job, work 24/7 bascially via iphone and the salary for the amount of work performed.
To be honest I find it a very stressful work environment. Work early and late hours. Most of the employees are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is everything is centered around the Production Associate/Operations. Approximately 35 people in our location along plus corporate come to you for answers. Must answer to corporate on all aspects and do your job too. Continuous conference calls and high expectations expected of you.

Most enjoyable part is that I have been in this industry for 27 years now and I know the internal operations of the job. Get along with "everyone" and we do laugh and have fun occasionally.
Great Environment and People
AVI-SPL (Current Employee), AVI-SPLDecember 1, 2014
Pros: managers, team leads, and even uppermanagement are fantastic
Cons: there curretlyis no match on the 401k, there are no individual reviews, there are also no raises - even to employees who've been here 8+ years.
This Company has some of the smartest and talented people you'll ever work with in your life. They are very knowledgable and can teach you a whole lot. Being that it is still a Corporation, as much as one might think they are taking care of the employess, there are still a few improvments and lessons to be learned in that area. Over all nothing that would stop one from recomending this Company for a solid work environment, decent paying wages, and job security. So I give it the 4 out of 5 star ratinig.
Productive work environment with great business associates
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: business associates and co-workers.
Cons: recently added more responsiblities and cut o/t.
This position has been very rewarding and educational. Learning how to implent procedures and execute daily functions to meet deadlines within a structured day has allowed me to continue to add to my skills and make a very valuable asset to my employer.
Steady Work great hours
OnSite Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2014
What I love most about AVIS-SPL is the steady work and fantastic hours.
Service Support Engineer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 22, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: no raise for 3 years
Great company
Great people to work for
Training provided has been great
great atmosphere not very friendly or secure
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee), TampaApril 14, 2014
Pros: cake monday, donuts everyother week
Cons: healthcare
work to meet the dead line
submit excel spreadsheet for hotel Revenue
occasionally talk to customer about past due account
always new project to approve making sure they have all the requirements for approval.
A great place to work.
Production Assistant (Current Employee), Midland, MIMarch 19, 2014
Pros: great people, talent, good content, fun
The people are really friendly, and care about what you're going through. It's not just work, it's a family. There are times where you may slip and go unnoticed with your work or exactly what you do. But credit 9/10 is always given where it's due.
AVI-SPL Great Company - lots of perks..
Account Receivables (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch, going to conventions, seminars. meetings etc..
Cons: yes we are entitled to short morning and afternoons breaks.. good thing..
Work day - well balanced day. some days busy, but mosly under control.work independently.
Learned - I have learned so much about the Top AV companies out there for example naming just a few: Polycom, Panasonic, Sharp, Mitsubishi,Sony, and so much more..
Management - Work direct with VP and Director of the Company. Had great - rapor. and still do..
Co-Workers - Have great co-workers Skills - get along well with all.
Hardest part of my job - was having the transition to NY Location.
Enjoyable part of my Job - was that I was able to work independently, and was fully responsible for my overall task with no issues.. Just missed and love what I did at AVI-SPL..
Exciting Industry
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Vandalia, OHFebruary 24, 2014
Being in the AV industry is an exciting experience. This industry is forever evolving and I am honored to contribute to this field and to watch its progress throughout the years. This opportunity is invaluable and I will treasure the industry and the skills I have developed always.
Innovative and Always Changing Technologies
Director, Global Conference Production & Helpdesk (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: exposure to new audio / video components
Cons: limited staffing
Each day at AVI-SPL consisted of the following: updates on videoconference cases and tickets, as well as new client projects.

These projects required a cross functional engagement across multiple teams and often channel partners to ensure successful completion.

Although the clients' requests and demands were varied, we were able to support their needs via new processes (automated and manual).
It was good working with team
Software Developer (Former Employee), TampaJanuary 27, 2014
Project started from scratch , deadlines were critical as it was less duration project.
Bootstrap , GIT
family
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Lanham, MDJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: pizza parties
Cons: doing deliveries, sometimes dont have time to stop for lunch
good group of employees to work with, and i learn something new everyday. thats the exciting part.
we all work and help as one and have each others back.
It was my home away from home
Sales order fulfillment (Former Employee), tampa, FLJanuary 14, 2014
It was a family oriented atmosphere, very busy always something to do, co-workers became family
Helped establish new Medical Video Integration Solutions Division
Regional Account Manager-Western United States (Current Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 10, 2013
Sales and business development of new healthcare video integration customers in hospital operating rooms, administration, ICU, and Emergency Department Managers, CIO.
Senior Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee), Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2013
• Efficiently handle inquiries on all past due balances and vendor credits, as well as inquiry on double shipment of products & shipment of replacement products
• Provide assistance and support in preparation and updates of all financial reports for yearly audit
• Review, analyze and update all reporting changes to GAAP
• Extensively manage quarterly budget for the entire AP department
• Collaborate with all accounting departments for quarter and year-end reporting and with the returns department for finalizing credits on vendor returns
• Effectively negotiate early payment discounts and rebates with all vendors
TOTALLY SUCKS!
Production Technician (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: no benefit
Cons: bully's
They let me go because they don't want to pay my healthcare benefits. Don't work for this company !!!! I hope they fail.

I tried to be my best.

The company is not diverse and the management doesn't police harassment in the atmosphere. They can eat my hole.
Large AV company
System Administrator / Technical Support (Current Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 11, 2013
Enjoy working with AVISPL. The teams are very professional.
A place to work
Undisclosed (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 28, 2013
Pros: paycheck
Cons: feels like a factory.
Working for AVI-SPL is just work. It's not enjoyable or fulfilling, but it is a paycheck. If a person has multiple job offers and AVI-SPL is one of them, take some time a weight the offers seriously.
Great offerings, TERRIBLE execution and employee support
Account Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaMay 7, 2013
Pros: very cutting edge on innovation and service offerings
Cons: engineering quality and speed/reliability, management at all levels, no longevity at any level.
I worked for this company for 5 years. I transitioned from Education sales into the main arm of the company after 3 years with a "Promotion" based on my performance and product knowledge.
It was the worst mistake of my career. I made the transition shortly after the company was bought by a Technology investment firm - Silverlake - and things went downhill almost immediately. The company was bought officially in April and I changed divisions in September of that year and in January of the next the Quota and Commission system changed so drastically it was like getting a 15% cut in pay, after already taking a significant cut in guaranteed pay from the Ed. position. And there was zero input allowed from sales staff. You signed a document agreeing to the new terms or you chose to leave.

Engineers had no incentive to maintain profit margins, stay on track with labor hour usage or stay within customers' budgetary limitations. Since commission pay was based on job profitability you got hammered if Engineering or Project Management burned through labor hours - which happened almost every project.

When I first went to work for this company I didn't know such a quality employer remained in the private sector. less than 3 years later I hated going to work (after the buy-out).

Engineering and General management in my region was terrible. If your market is sensitive to competitive price, you will NOT win business working for AVI-SPL.
P&L Costs are reflective of being several times the size of the next largest AV integrator.

There is a running joke in the company about how easy it is to become a VP of something. In a company with only 1400 employees (give or take a few) there are over 200 "VP" or Director and above level personnel.