AVI-SPL Employee Reviews

Not what I expected
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 24, 2015
I was hired as a Technician Level 2, making a half-decent wage, but things went downhill very quickly. Everything is done over the internet at this company. Upon being hired, you're given an Iphone, a Lenovo laptop and a very small van, but don't let that make you feel like you matter to this company, you could be terminated at the slightest concern by management.

Virtually all communications are done through email, and management has little interest in speaking over the phone, or in person, unless absolutely necessary. You'll be put through an OSHA 30 hour course that you take online at home, and the hours are paid. There are a few other little things they make you do, like diversity training and drug and alcohol abuse training, both of which are pretty much a joke, but still have some good points.

The company will make you feel as if you are someone they have every intention of keeping on board, sparing no expense to get you going. My stint lasted about 1 month, at which point I was terminated for some petty and negligible reasons, with zero discussion about why those things even happened, or the severity of the issues and how they could be corrected. A company who actually cares about the people working for it, will make an effort to discuss problems, not just terminate someone without notice, that's unprofessional.

Some of the people who work there are rude or weird, but most are pretty friendly. AVI-SPL uses a lot of sub-contractors, and not so many payrolled employees. I personally think that management does a terrible job, atrocious, actually. They need to
  more... hire people to fill certain positions that will actually improve the company on the ground level, not the corporate level. With all of the time and effort put into building their IT infrastructure, you'd think they would have the bugs worked out as far as engineering, integration, project management, etc. go, but you'd be wrong, it's a complete mess.

I personally would NOT recommend working for this company, as even the slightest little things can get you canned. It's not worth it, and they don't even pay as well as some other companies do.
The benefits are beyond confusing, and didn't seem good to me, but one good thing is, they don't install screens and projectors themselves, they have subs do that, for now, which cuts down on the hard work you have to do as a tech. Just, don't mess up, that's the job of the engineers and managers, they can mess up all day long and nobody bats an eye.
Pros
Paid training, laptop, van, online schedule, paystubs, etc.
Cons
Pay, expectations, management, healthcare, communication, turnover rate, extra phone to deal with
Great offerings, TERRIBLE execution and employee support
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaMay 7, 2013
I worked for this company for 5 years. I transitioned from Education sales into the main arm of the company after 3 years with a "Promotion" based on my performance and product knowledge.
It was the worst mistake of my career. I made the transition shortly after the company was bought by a Technology investment firm - Silverlake - and things went downhill almost immediately. The company was bought officially in April and I changed divisions in September of that year and in January of the next the Quota and Commission system changed so drastically it was like getting a 15% cut in pay, after already taking a significant cut in guaranteed pay from the Ed. position. And there was zero input allowed from sales staff. You signed a document agreeing to the new terms or you chose to leave.

Engineers had no incentive to maintain profit margins, stay on track with labor hour usage or stay within customers' budgetary limitations. Since commission pay was based on job profitability you got hammered if Engineering or Project Management burned through labor hours - which happened almost every project.

When I first went to work for this company I didn't know such a quality employer remained in the private sector. less than 3 years later I hated going to work (after the buy-out).

Engineering and General management in my region was terrible. If your market is sensitive to competitive price, you will NOT win business working for AVI-SPL.
P&L Costs are reflective of being several times the size of the next largest AV integrator.

There is a running joke in the company about how easy it is to
  more... become a VP of something. In a company with only 1400 employees (give or take a few) there are over 200 "VP" or Director and above level personnel.  less
Pros
very cutting edge on innovation and service offerings
Cons
engineering quality and speed/reliability, management at all levels, no longevity at any level.
Very Productive
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLMarch 20, 2015
To be honest I find it a very stressful work environment. Work early and late hours. Most of the employees are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is everything is centered around the Production Associate/Operations. Approximately 35 people in our location along plus corporate come to you for answers. Must answer to corporate on all aspects and do your job too. Continuous conference calls and high expectations expected of you.

Most enjoyable part is that I have been in this industry for 27 years now and I know the internal operations of the job. Get along with "everyone" and we do laugh and have fun occasionally.
Pros
i am trusted to make the right decisions for our location.
Cons
no training on how to do the job, work 24/7 bascially via iphone and the salary for the amount of work performed.
AVI-SPL Great Company - lots of perks..
Account Receivables (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 17, 2014
Work day - well balanced day. some days busy, but mosly under control.work independently.
Learned - I have learned so much about the Top AV companies out there for example naming just a few: Polycom, Panasonic, Sharp, Mitsubishi,Sony, and so much more..
Management - Work direct with VP and Director of the Company. Had great - rapor. and still do..
Co-Workers - Have great co-workers Skills - get along well with all.
Hardest part of my job - was having the transition to NY Location.
Enjoyable part of my Job - was that I was able to work independently, and was fully responsible for my overall task with no issues.. Just missed and love what I did at AVI-SPL..
Pros
free lunch, going to conventions, seminars. meetings etc..
Cons
yes we are entitled to short morning and afternoons breaks.. good thing..
Great Environment and People
AVI-SPL (Current Employee) –  AVI-SPLDecember 1, 2014
This Company has some of the smartest and talented people you'll ever work with in your life. They are very knowledgable and can teach you a whole lot. Being that it is still a Corporation, as much as one might think they are taking care of the employess, there are still a few improvments and lessons to be learned in that area. Over all nothing that would stop one from recomending this Company for a solid work environment, decent paying wages, and job security. So I give it the 4 out of 5 star ratinig.
Pros
managers, team leads, and even uppermanagement are fantastic
Cons
there curretlyis no match on the 401k, there are no individual reviews, there are also no raises - even to employees who've been here 8+ years.
Consider working for them very Cautiously!!!
Sales (Former Employee) –  U.S.April 3, 2013
They treat employees in a very negative way... Most of their VP's who helped found and grow the company have left the company because they are going through so many changes with the equity investor (bean coutners) at the helm. I witnessed several extremely talented employees get axed within their first year with no documentation or employee reviews because of bean counting and profit shifting. They fire employees then do not pay them commissions they have earned from sales. They have no regard for most of their employees.
Pros
experienced av company
Cons
constatnly laying off & firing, they change rules on commissions you earn
Senior Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2013
• Efficiently handle inquiries on all past due balances and vendor credits, as well as inquiry on double shipment of products & shipment of replacement products
• Provide assistance and support in preparation and updates of all financial reports for yearly audit
• Review, analyze and update all reporting changes to GAAP
• Extensively manage quarterly budget for the entire AP department
• Collaborate with all accounting departments for quarter and year-end reporting and with the returns department for finalizing credits on vendor returns
• Effectively negotiate early payment discounts and rebates with all vendors
great place to advance
Audio Visual Installation Tech 2 (Former Employee) –  tampa flOctober 29, 2012
You can learn a lot in this company as they pay for all training necessary to advance in the industry. I moved up quickly and gained an amazing amount of knowledge in the AV field. Co-workers are ok but they are dependant on who the boss gets along with. the only problem about the company is job security. You will be wise to watch every single step you take. One minor mess up and they will fire you. No write ups, or warnings. The health care benefits are garbage, your better off looking elsewhere for coverage.
Pros
move up fast, pay is great
Cons
job security is difficult, always have to kiss up to move up
Fairly Good Company
Corporate AP Manager/Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD / Remote work from homeJune 26, 2012
It was a fast paced company with a very high demand and volume.

I learned how to use The Project System (purchasing system) as well as the personalized Sage accounting system that AVI SPL changed to after the merger.

My fellow employees were a joy to work with for the most part

The hardest part of my job was dealing with confusion from the merger

The most enjoyable part of my job was the success of department. Watching it change and grow over the years
Pros
great benefits, good co-workers
Cons
mass confusion after the merger.
Innovative and Always Changing Technologies
Director, Global Conference Production & Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 20, 2014
Each day at AVI-SPL consisted of the following: updates on videoconference cases and tickets, as well as new client projects.

These projects required a cross functional engagement across multiple teams and often channel partners to ensure successful completion.

Although the clients' requests and demands were varied, we were able to support their needs via new processes (automated and manual).
Pros
exposure to new audio / video components
Cons
limited staffing

Want to know more about AVI-SPL?

Ask a question
Audio Visual Industry
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 20, 2016
The audio visual industry is a very unique industry to most people however, no day is ever the same. I love how dynamic the field is, with being able to make your own schedules, deal with many different people and cultures. There is a lot of stress that can consume you, but that is the challenge, to have to find a way to work with itt, and not let it take you down.

I love working with customers and people in general. The most enjoyable part of the job is when things are successful.
Productive work environment with great business associates
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 8, 2014
This position has been very rewarding and educational. Learning how to implent procedures and execute daily functions to meet deadlines within a structured day has allowed me to continue to add to my skills and make a very valuable asset to my employer.
Pros
business associates and co-workers.
Cons
recently added more responsiblities and cut o/t.
Very relaxed enviorment
Warehouse Coordinator/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 19, 2013
My task everyday is shipping customer orders, receiving inbound shipments, ship out transfers to other AVI locations, and deliver inner office mail. Management has been great with me, and to this day it has been a pleasure to work with all my co-workers.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
benefits and compensation
great atmosphere not very friendly or secure
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TampaApril 14, 2014
work to meet the dead line
submit excel spreadsheet for hotel Revenue
occasionally talk to customer about past due account
always new project to approve making sure they have all the requirements for approval.
Pros
cake monday, donuts everyother week
Cons
healthcare
Exciting Industry
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHFebruary 24, 2014
Being in the AV industry is an exciting experience. This industry is forever evolving and I am honored to contribute to this field and to watch its progress throughout the years. This opportunity is invaluable and I will treasure the industry and the skills I have developed always.
There seems to be a lack of direction from the CEO
account executive (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 8, 2016
The Management seems to lack direction and there seems to be a lot of finger pointing within the organization when things don't go well.
Pros
They have a good marketing department
Cons
they don't pay technicians or engineers well enough compared to the market.
A great place to work.
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMarch 19, 2014
The people are really friendly, and care about what you're going through. It's not just work, it's a family. There are times where you may slip and go unnoticed with your work or exactly what you do. But credit 9/10 is always given where it's due.
Pros
great people, talent, good content, fun
Helped establish new Medical Video Integration Solutions Division
Regional Account Manager-Western United States (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 10, 2013
Sales and business development of new healthcare video integration customers in hospital operating rooms, administration, ICU, and Emergency Department Managers, CIO.
Nice place to work
Technician, (MIAB) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2015
This company is always giving back to their employees and trying to make it fun. Co-workers are great. Great training's available for employees. Hard to get raises and no 401k match.
Pros
Fun place to work, good schedule
Cons
Hard to get raises and no 401k match.
handle of a 600K property and staff
Director of Audio/Visual (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 19, 2012
great company to work for but managment need to pay close attention when there is an issue and needs to be discuss before taking action
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
poor managment comunication