Aviacode Employee Reviews

management
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 5, 2017
Management at this company is good...I work when there is work available.. this year has been the hardest for getting work. I do like working for them and don't plan to leave, just need more work.
Pros
work from home
Cons
not enought work available
company has now regrouped and I am sure it is better managed
Practicode Content Curation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 29, 2017
It was a growing company and sometimes there were many bosses giving you different answers to a question. It has now regrouped and i am sure the atmosphere is different.
Pros
Work for home
Cons
Needed only one supervisor not many
Review
Remote Outpatient Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 5, 2017
good company, staff are great to work for.
Work typical 8 hour day
hardest part is not any job security'
enjoy interacting with clients and other fellow coworkers
Pros
great staff
Cons
security
Experience
Surgical Coding Supervisor/ Auditor/Remote (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 26, 2017
Good place to work for education and stable job environment. Management will work to better billing processes and communication is open and welcome in all levels
great learning experience
Remote Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  remoteJune 4, 2017
Managers are very supportive and helpful, pay is not always the best on a pay per chart, projects can end with a week notice, some managers like to micromanage. Training can be good or bad based on project leader.
Pros
no set hours
Cons
projects can end within a week
Laid back environment with no micro-management
Medical Auditor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 10, 2017
Aviacode is very laid back and goes with flow; but when hig demands hit, they hit the floor, so they are their feet when needed but layed back when it is good to go with the flow
The Pay isn't very good
Remote Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 15, 2017
I'm fairly new with Aviacode. However, this isn't my first rodeo remote coding. The pay is minuscule - $1 p/chart; $2 w/data entry. I estimate $10-$12 p/hr which pennies for a remote coder This would be of no consequence if it were simply diagnosis or ancillary coding but that is not the case. The systems are not the friendliest to use either. In light of the work and what the job market deems appropriate it should be $2-$4 p/chart and $5 with data entry. I'm eager to find something else because the cost-benefit analysis isn't adding up.
Communication doesn't appear to be a strong suit either. Training is ad hoc. Need an updated policy & procedure manual that a remote coder code use as a guide to work efficiently.
Pros
Flexible Hours; Working From Home
Cons
Pay is not up to par with job market
My overall experience with Aviacode has been good.
Professional Medical Coding Q&A SDI (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 3, 2017
Due to my living on a working farm/ranch I have chores that need to be performed during daylight hours. My supervisors/managers have been good to work with me.
A typical work day starts about noon (MST). Break for evening chores 4-6 and back to work between 6-7 until midnight or later.
My current position is as a member of a team of Q&A people. I absolutely love the position and have enjoyed reviewing the off-shore coder's work. I regret not being able to produce the necessary charts-per-hour required for the position due to slow upload Internet speed. But, every cloud has a silver lining so-to-speak. Slow upload means the chart is on the screen longer which allows the opportunity to double study work for errors which has lead to excellent accuracy levels.
My manager has been a joy to work for. She is refreshingly approachable, helpful and offers on-going encouragement. Sadly she recently experienced health issues and my time with her department ended while she was away. I hope to cross paths with her again.
My co-workers are amazing. Talk about a hard-working team! We maintain an open, supportive line of communication and have the utmost respect for one another.
The hardest part of the job, personally, has been the fear of losing it. I know business is business and that high production numbers are imperative to the bottom line. Although I was 100% upfront about my Internet limitations from the beginning, I wasn't able to make up for the slow speed with accuracy, etc.
It is my hope to find a position that needs a worker who pays attention
  more... to detail, is committed to Aviacode, and has the desire to shine in the field of Medical Coding as someone's best supporting worker. Thank You  less
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Great place to learn
Internship (Former Employee) –  Price, UTOctober 12, 2016
I interned with Aviacode while I was completing my schooling. It was a great place to learn. I only wish I did not have so much on my plate at that time.
Professional Auditor for a multi-specialty medical group
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 18, 2016
You are given a group of accounts and you may or may not be given a time frame or specifics on how that group is to be accomplished. You are paid per chart and you use their in house software or go through a facility VPN.
New Cutting Edge Techonology
Coding Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 12, 2016
Great place for new coder to get experience, a large pool of contract coders and plenty of work to go around.

Not really any Con's I enjoy working here.
Pros
Really relaxed place to work.
Cons
not a lot of room to advance from coding manager role
Great company
Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 12, 2016
Love the flexibility of managing my hours. As long as your work is done by deadline they are happy. I am a contract worker I just wish the projects would come up faster.
Aviacode
Behavioral Health Auditor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84111March 16, 2016
Great company to work for! Auditing behavioral health facilities and getting to travel to other places and states in a perfect fit for me. There's few things that I enjoy as much!
Pros
I love Travel. I love Auditing. I love my managers. I love my co-workers.
Cons
Would love more Travel Auditing assignments!
Excellent place to work
Audit and Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 21, 2014
Great company to work for. Open communication with superiors, room for advancement and a friendly work enviornment. Every day is a different and welcome challenge.
Pros
Remote, CEUs provided, friendly atmosphere
Great to practice Coding skills
Medical Coding ICD-9 and ICD 10 (Former Employee) –  remoteNovember 18, 2014
great company, really cares about quality of employees. They set up Practicode as a forum to practice and gain proficiency and then they have a good way to judge their applicants.
Great management team.
Inpatient Coder (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 2, 2014
Inpatient Coder. Excellent training. Great experience coding inpatient charts, ESRD, hemodialysis, Critical Care.
The last reviewer has it right - slave labor and idiots for managers
coder (Current Employee) –  telecommuteDecember 16, 2013
They pay $.90 to $1.20 per chart coded- no matter what kind of chart is being coded. So no matter how detailed the record is - inpatient records included, this is what they pay.
Pros
work from home
Cons
bad pay, managers that have no idea what they're doing, inconsistency all throughout the company
Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 15, 2013
Work from home and a very user friendly program. Great supervisors.
Aviacode - Slave Labor With The Comforts Of Home
Certified Coding Professional (Current Employee) –  HomeSeptember 6, 2012
Aviacode has a policy which is inconsistently implemented from manager to manager. The general policy states if your percentage of accurate charts fall below a particular number then they drop your per chart rate from $0.30 to $0.24 for a full quarter until your numbers come back up. Audits are done every week so a single bad week in the first month of a quarter justifies the rate cut for the remainder of the quarter. Some managers will require you go another full three months at the reduced rate to prove your numbers are going to stay up. Depending on the manager, once you achieve moving target goal they set for you, they will tell you that you have a new goal and must go another three months before you gain your contract amount of $0.30 per chart back. This is not in the original contract and will likely result in law suites for back pay and damages. Well guess what, this game goes on and on and you never get the money back. Most people slow down production at this point in hopes of improving the quality while also being disgruntled by the breach of promise. Lack of volume on their part causes the manager to become more aggressive and well, it all goes down hill from there.

The most interesting fact clients will be interested in is, the auditors that critique the coders routinely disagree on a solution for a given chart. For the coder this means you can never maintain $0.30 per chart status as the different auditors have different ideas about how things should be coded and you never know who will be grading you for the week. One event I will share (which is typical of Aviacode)
  more... is where the auditor didn't like the way I coded a particular scenario and we had email discussions on it as she would mark it wrong every time it came up. I explained this is how the manager has required us to code this type chart per her emails and phone calls. Eventually I changed to the auditor’s point of view to save my numbers. The manager does a random audit on the auditor and blasts her for doing it wrong and ridiculed me for her having previously told me different. The manager wanted to train everyone on the team so she copied the entire team on her holyer than thou email as she shamed the auditor. Since that time, every time I get this auditor she systematically beats down most of my work.

Aviacode advertises like crazy about the on going training within. Well, I suggest they start with the managers and auditors as I have rarely seen them agree on the results of some coding situations. And by the way, I have been coding from home as a contractor for multiple companies at the same time for most of 5 years and have 10 years experience in office coding in a variety of fields so this isn't my first rodeo. I have been awarded and commended for being a very high volume producer with high level of accuracy. Even one of my Aviacode managers said the same. So it makes me wonder what is different now? With that said, overall this is the single worst company I have had the misfortune to try and work with.

By the way, check the internet and you will see that $0.30 per chart is way cheap compared to others. They changed the software last year which became more bloated and now it takes more time to get from one screen to the next and moving from one chart to the next. So do the math coders, 100 charts will get you $24 after they cut your per chart rate in the first quarter. I've had companies pay me as much as $4.50 per chart for doing less work, so do not sell yourself short and shop around. After all, you are a trained, educated and certified professional that has memorized codes to be proficient.

This is America and sweat shops are a thing of the past. Other professionals get paid for their knowledge and so should you. Good Luck and God Bless.
Pros
benefits of home, work anytime during the day to meet appointments and run kids
Cons
coder is isolated, controlled, manipulated, cheated, policy not followed, lowest pay rates in industry, company has systems in place to further reduce rates, require no compete agreement