AVID

AVID Employer Reviews

Productive and fun environment with ping pong table.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: free coffee
There were musical instruments and a pool table as well. Passionate and creative employees who obviously enjoy their job.
AVID Tutor (Former Employee), Glendora, CADecember 3, 2013
Hours are crazy and unstable. They interfere with other commitments or jobs.
low stakes, low reward
Tutor (Former Employee), Anaheim, CANovember 21, 2013
Pros: it offered experience teaching
Cons: low pay, few hours
I would help high school children with there homework serving as an aid to the acting teacher in the room. Most students did not really want my help, and the ones that did had a hard time hearing me in the noisy room.
AVID (Current Employee), Green Bay, WINovember 13, 2013
It was a fun and productive experience; I enjoyed working with my class mates in projects to help our school.
Productive and energetic students; great learning environment.
Tutor (Current Employee), Leander, TexasNovember 1, 2013
Pros: continued learning; networking
Cons: temporary employment
We run tutorials as well grade AVID student materials; monitor students development as well as motivate them to achieve. Co-workers are great and well-informed to AVID practices. Hardest part is managing a plethora of personalities and different subject-matter, simultaneously.
Avid
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee), St. Croix, USVISeptember 22, 2013
Preparing avid students to always strive for success at all times
What I learned
Educational Aide III, Woodrow Wilson Senior High (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 13, 2013
Pros: working with college bound students
Cons: not being able to work more hours.
This job really showed me the inner workings and politics of a high school. I learned how other staff members interact and work with each other. I learned have to navigate through the administration and other aspects of a public school.
Productive and fun work place.
Tutor (Current Employee), Palmdale, CAJuly 31, 2013
Well working as a tutor one of the most difficult challenges has been inspiring the students that don't want to work.
Productive, Meaningful, Great Experience
Tutor, VISD (Former Employee), Victoria, TXJune 24, 2013
Pros: can't beat school hours and schedule
Cons: discipline issues do come up often
School hours, scheduled lunch, work with children, change lives. Doesn't get much better!
Nice to make an impact on kids' lives through education
Tutor (Current Employee), Kissimmee, FLJune 5, 2013
Pros: nice paycheck, laid back environment, fixed schedule, field trips, great for someone who likes kids!
Cons: not the answer for someone who doesn't remember much of what these students are learning
Nice schedule and light work. Pay is decent and coordinators are great! Hardest part is trying to dig up past knowledge of middle-school/high-school curriculum to be able to help students out with their points of confusion. Once past that, job is fun, and you get to go on field trips!
FUN great workplace environment
AVID Tutor (Current Employee), Fresno, CAJune 3, 2013
Co-workers are amazing other students just like myself and my boss is the greatest.
Fun and Productive Workplace
Tutor (Current Employee), Yuma, AZMay 29, 2013
Learned to have more patience with kids that learn different speeds. Very kind coworkers and flexible hours. Management was sometimes hard to get a hold of, but did their job. Had fun joking with the kids to keep their spirits up and make learning fun and easy.
Helped me to graduation
Vice President (Former Employee), Redlands, CAMay 28, 2013
Pros: lots of trips
Cons: management is brutally honest
Advancement Via Individual Determination was an hour of my day Monday-Friday. I learned how to take notes, organization skills, how to be a team player, and most importantly how to make it in a university setting. My colleagues are now just as close as my family is to me. The hardest part of working in AVID is getting used to the habits it instills – more... and breaking the old ones. The best part is knowing that you leave there with the skills and mindset that set you apart from other candidates. – less
Experience
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAMay 25, 2013
• Conduct tutorial sessions in all areas of sciences and mathematics
• Determine from student notes and discussions
• Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and textbook notes, etc.
• Assist teachers in conducting mini-lessons in the process of writing in all subject areas, study skills, and other aspects of college preparation
• Work – more... with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, revision, and editing – less
AVID is an amazing job; however, it only lasts during the school year.
Tutor (Current Employee), Marshall, TXMay 7, 2013
A typical work day consists of me assisting students with essays, teaching me how to work with others. Management is consistent. My co-workers are very ambitious and helpful. My most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist others in their academic endeavors.
Fantastic learning and working experience
Academic Peer Tutor (Former Employee), Union MIne High School, El Dorado, CaliforniaApril 23, 2013
Pros: great learning and working opportunity, happy to make a difference, awesome co-workers
Cons: struggled with unfamiliar problems
The Advancedment Via Individual Determination or AVID program provided at Union Mine High School is a college preperation course which ultimately helps students devise a better understanding of what they will be expecting in college. As Mike Ziegler, coordinator of the AVID program at Union Mine High School, once said, ""It started with one high school – more... and 32 students and now it's in 4,900 high schools and post-secondary institutions and serves 700,000 students". Being an AVID tutor really informed me of the different techniques the students utilized to better inform and prepare themselves for college. I would help out an individual who was struggling with a problem and help them try to grasp a better understanding of how to solve that problem. Overall, it was an unforggetable and pleasant experience working with several of these students and watching them grow to professional students representing their fabulous Union Mine High School. – less
workplace as a tutor & waiter
Tutor (Current Employee), Tyler, TXApril 20, 2013
Pros: free lunch, great networking
Cons: health care
- Cleaning up and getting ready for the shift.

- How to work on my mulit - task skills.

- My management were great and very friendly.

- My co-workers were very helpful.

- Making sure the the member is well taking care of.

- Seeing the smile on the members face for giving them great service.
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee), Worcester, MAApril 16, 2013
I tutored high school kids in a program called AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination). As a tutor I worked with students to help them in subjects they were struggling in. I motivated students to achieve their academic goals and to attend college after they graduated high school.
Rewarding workplace with a compassionate staff.
Teacher (Former Employee), Virginia BeachMarch 14, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of constructing plans, people interface, and organizing plans. My co-workers were professional and easy-goiong. The hardest part of the job was there never seemed to be enough time to get everything done, but I enjoyed it so much it wasn't a sacrifice to stay late or come in early.
Great team of colleagues
Field Marketing Executive (Former Employee), Dubai, UAEJuly 3, 2012
Pros: great medical coverage
Great place to work. Amazing people in the Dubai office. Diverse team across the globe.