AVID Employee Reviews

Energetic atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee), Davis, CAJune 26, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere, great coworkers
Cons: large groups made it harder to get to every student
I helped students develop inquiry-based learning skills through group discussions and one-on-one tutoring. The most difficult part was helping every student when groups got too large.
Challenging but rewarding...
Program Tutor (Former Employee), Killeen, TXJune 24, 2015
Pros: Lunch was long enough for me to attend one college class and then go back to work.
Cons: There were not enough work days and hours for me to make a living (it was part-time)
AVID is a program designed to help student with organization and prepare for college. I took the job because I had been in the program myself when I was a student and because I plan to be a teacher. Even though it is not the subject I plan to teach, I did learn quite a bit as far as classroom management and what it's like to interact with over 100 students on a day to day basis. I learned patience, discipline and what it means to be looked up to by students who are younger than me (I am a college student). The teacher I worked with was quite the character. She was strong-willed but she cared and we got things done. I only wish we had more support from administration but, from what I have observed, that seems to be a common problem in public schools. Other teachers were supportive and cooperative enough. The hardest part of the job was dealing with students who did not believe in their own worth enough to invest time and effort into their education. Nothing is sadder than a student who has given up on themselves before you have- you don't give up on them, actually. Despite that, it was rewarding to be able to forge bonds with the children over the course of the year and instill knowledge in them that they will carry with them forever.
company has a good idea behind it, just depends on where you work.
Tutor (Former Employee), Nacogdoches, TXJune 16, 2015
-hard work
-middle of nowhere
-good temporary job in college if you really need the money
-wouldn't recommend it
-was in a toxic work environment
-children are very much in need and was difficult due to negative work environment at the school I was zoned at
-not the best place to work at by any means, even if you really need a job
Amazingly creative and out-of-the-box design work. Rode the audio and video innovation era.
Product Designer/Test Engineer (Former Employee), Daly City, CAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Creative culture
Cons: Low pay, poor product marketing, too many egos
Loved our band of Oscar, Grammy and Emmy award-winning design and quality assurance team. The executive team made many shortsighted, downfall decisions.
Where students go to build friendship and good study habits
Tutor (Current Employee), TXMay 18, 2015
Pros: Helping others, working as a team
Cons: Not enough hours
The typical work day consists of gathering all of the students Tutorial Request Forms and separating the forms into groups. The groups were separated by core classes the students needed assistance with. Students and tutors will help students by reviewing notes, text books, and knowledge obtained from the classroom.
I learned that reaching out for assistance can be crucial to a student's success. Every classroom that provided AVID tutorials had an AVID teacher. During tutorials the teacher made sure sessions ran smoothly without interruptions or undesired behaviors. When tutorials were not running the teacher provided team building activities. Everybody I worked with supported each other. Every tutor had their own group however, had the same objectives; a successful tutorial. If one tutor was more prominent on a subject we would sometimes call upon each other to assist the student. The hardest part about the job was learning how other teachers taught a subject. The tutor may know how to assist the student however, not in the way the teacher taught the student. Looking over the student's notes or visiting the teacher to learn their preferred method helped. The most enjoyable part about the job was witnessing the student's growth in education and team work/family building.
Cool workplace
Salesforce Developer (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAApril 30, 2015
I mastered my skills in Salesforce development. I worked on Apex triggers, REST, SOAP web services, Apex schedular and Email notification functionality. The work was challenging but it has given me an opportunity to learn all these technologies.
The officers shows a great amount of hospitality.
Student (Current Employee), Jacksonville,FLApril 7, 2015
Pros: Free Food
Cons: no cons
This was a long 8 hour job. I filed papers, moved boxes, and made copies. Lunch was always handled for me by one of the officers. I had no worry in the world at the sheriffs department.
great environment
Tutor (Former Employee), Oceanside, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Helped students with work that they struggled with for their classes. Spoke to them about college, and scholarship opportunities/
Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 20, 2015
Worked closely with the students to watch them become better in subjects the had trouble with. Great place to see students grow into motivated individuals ready to go to college.
AVID Teacher
Teacher/Football Coach (Current Employee), Dickinson,TXFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: seeing students determined and motivated to learn
Cons: seeing students not tap in to what they are capable of achieving
As an educator, I get to positively influence a lot of students. I teach them survival skills for college to better make them college ready.
A lot of fun
AVID Tutor with the PSUSD (Former Employee), Desert Hot Springs, CAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: flexable schedules, field-trips
Cons: not a full time position
Duties consist of tutoring and assisting children individually or in small group(s) in order to help student master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teacher(s).
One of the greatest contributions to humanity
Tutor (Former Employee), Alexandria, VaDecember 4, 2014
AVID is awesome. Every student should have the opportunity to at least try AVID. The teachers and the tutor work together as a team to ensure that the students succeed. By far the most rewarding position that I have ever held.
Great Company and Legacy
Business Development Rep (Former Employee), Burlington, MASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: excellent work culture, great people, and valuable training
Cons: management and communication structure needs help.
AVID is one of the most fun companies I've ever worked for in my professional career. It's a very laid back and transparent work culture, and the people are extremely smart, down to earth, and driven to succeed. AVID is very much based on quality, and the products are highly innovative and derived from a long legacy of successful workflow solutions.

The training and on-boarding process is one of the best parts of joining AVID, and they really put a lot of effort in investing in their staff. I would say the compensation and management structure can definitely be better, but there can always be improvements in that area. I would also say there's not much job security, and they have been going through tough times recently so this can affect anyone.

I have walked away with nothing but great experience, and I'd recommend anyone work for AVID when they start to stabilize.
Great company to work for
Tutor (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 20, 2014
The company is based around providing higher education pathways for disenfranchised high school students. The hours for the employees are the same hours as the school so it is quite easy to balance around other jobs and school.
helping kids at schools
Lancaster Intern (Former Employee), Lancaster, TXJuly 10, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
helping out students with home work and classwork, and also helping out high school students with college choices
AVID Tutor
Tutor (Current Employee), Saint Charles, ILJuly 8, 2014
Good experience for those trying to get into the education field.
It was a pleasure working as an AVID Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee), Harlingen TXJune 30, 2014
I loved it, Go in everyday to see your students sometimes you have to pump them up and get them laughing and smiling just to make they're day. I learned to get along with students very easily, The teacher that I assisted was so nice. My co worker was fun and easy to get alone with. The hardest part was to get some of the students to do the work or turn it in. Being able to help children learn something everyday.
Great Volunteer Opportunites
AVID Car Wash (Former Employee), Eastvale, CAJune 29, 2014
AVID ensured we had every oppotunity possible during high school, during college, and later on in life
Fun workplace, learned alot
Tutor (Former Employee), Visalia, CAMay 21, 2014
Pros: easy, fun, knew the people i was working with
Cons: no cons, very easy environment
Worked with freshmens and juniors in highschool and helped them with schoolwork.
Was a great oppurtunity to help disadvantaged kids
Tutor (Former Employee), Mansfield, TXApril 29, 2014
Worked at 2 high schools and 4 middle schools leading group or individual tutorials. Mentored the student on what college was really like and how to succeed at getting into college. Helped write many scholarship letters. I learned much about how people learn at Avid. The management was in the form of individual teachers at the schools I worked at. The hardest part of the job was getting some students to really use the programs benefits. The most enjoyable aspect was knowing that I was helping so many students have a chance they might not otherwise have.