AVID Employee Reviews

Tutoring AVID students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2016
As an AVID tutor for the past six years I can say that I enjoy this job as practice for my pursuit of a teaching credential. Given that this job is seasonal and is based on the school schedule and the AVID program's individual schedule, the hours vary per month and there is no work between June and early September. Days are broken into two different styles. One day there is grading of students binders for organization and quality of notes. This is to ensure that students are learning good note-taking and study habits before they enter high school and/or college. Other days there are tutorials, in which as a tutor I am responsible for facilitating tutorial groups of 7 students in any academic subject that they need assistance with. Students use an inquiry process to present and uncover the answer to their questions. From my experience the AVID program is wonderful at helping students enter college who may not normally pursue higher education due to several factors (first generation college student, poverty, lack of academic achievement, etc.). This program is valuable for first generation college students such as myself. My only negative comment is that the hours are not as consistent as other part-time jobs. The seasonal work and the changes in schedule hours due to the school schedule makes it so that a second job is needed for those in college who need to save money.
Pros
helping students
Cons
no healthcare, no paid leave, inconsistent hours
Very productive and great environment
Avid Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 29, 2016
This is an education oriented job- around the RISD school district. I tutored students on core subject areas. I kept 6 + students on task. I also guided students to help other students complete tasks and cooperate together.
Pros
Free snacks from staff parties, great experience
Cons
not any cons
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 23, 2016
As a tutor I could take the responsibility to help students in different areas of the middle school and high school curriculum. I engaged students in conversations, sharing ideas and helping each other with Mathematics, Science and Social Studies questions. The hardest part of the job was to keep students engaged and motivated to share ideas and conversations.
Pros
Help students with different questions of the curriculum
Cons
keep students motivated and communication
school productive
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76103May 4, 2016
I learned that helping the community is always a way to please others. The hardest part of being an avid volunteer is leaving during school hours to help the community then coming back to make up all the work i missed that day.
Pros
positive community responses
Cons
during school hours
Great Place to Work
AVID Alumni (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 31, 2016
The AVID program is centralized around research-based practices to be successful for college called WICOR strategies which consists of: Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading. Additionally, within AVID there are three main keynotes: organization – by requiring the possession of a three-ring binder and doing binder checks; Cornell notes – which teaches students how to take effective notes and how to use them as a study tool; lastly, tutorial – which emulate college-level thinking by having a somewhat Socratic Seminar and asking questions to help the asker be guided to the answer. Working with the students has been very eye-opening to me and has taught me a lot about myself and them because in a sense we teach each other whether intended or not. It makes me very satisfied to see the wonderful "ah-ha" moment when a student finds the answer to their point of confusion. It makes this job all the worthwhile.
Pros
helping students, teaching, listening to students' points of view
Cons
helping students, teaching, listening to students' points of view
Its ok
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 2, 2016
I was not overall happy with the treatment I received from AVID, however I found it to beneficial to my work experience and so there's a bright side to it.
Productive work place
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZFebruary 10, 2016
amazing non-profit organization that includes many benefits to the employees there, fast paced work environment with a purpose to help high school students succeed academically
Hands down the best!
Business services administrative assistant ll (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 27, 2015
Best company I have ever worked for! I recently lest this company as an Admin Assistant, it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. They treat their employees so well!
Pros
Environment, Cause, People, Compensation
Great learning environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Alvin, TXDecember 10, 2015
Working with the students was by far the best part of being a tutor. Supportive staff/supervisors and co-workers. Flexible schedule. Low energy but high-spirited environment most work days unless when Field Trips are considered.
Pros
field trips, long lunch
Cons
little advancement opprotunities
Avid was a fun, creative environment to work in
Program Manager - Digidesign (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CANovember 15, 2015
I was hired to improve the performance of the R&D procurement group. I revised roles and responsibilities based on project needs and individual strengths. My efforts created a group that essentially ran itself, giving me the wonderful opportunity to manage a new product from design to production. I enjoyed working with some of the most creative and wonderful people I've ever known.
Difficult Times at Avid
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAOctober 23, 2015
Avid is a difficult place to work over the last several years. The company is trying to totally change how we deliver our products which is causing a lot of churn internally.
Productive/Exciting learning experience with students.
Avid Tutor (Former Employee) –  Trona, CAAugust 25, 2015
Classes would turn in TRF papers for tutorial sessions. Tutors would document which students turned in papers on time for the day while students set up desks into two groups. From there the tutors would separate the students into those groups based on school subjects. Each tutor was in charge of their own group. This is when the specialized AVID tutorial process begins; students present their questions, the tutor leads the other students in asking questions to help student presenter find the answer to their own questions. The process is repeated until all students have presented or time runs out. Tutor then collects TRF papers and notes to grade at the end of the day. Finally, once the bell rings and the students are gone, all tutors ad the classroom Avid advisor sit down to discuss the day (who is/isn't struggling, turning in work, paying attention, improving, etc.).
For me the hardest part of the job was to find ways to help students in their own issues without being able to read their own source material.
The most enjoyable part was relating to all students in a professional but friendly manner. It truly helped me gain respect among the students which made for very smooth interactions and tutorial sessions.
Energetic atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 26, 2015
I helped students develop inquiry-based learning skills through group discussions and one-on-one tutoring. The most difficult part was helping every student when groups got too large.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great coworkers
Cons
large groups made it harder to get to every student
Challenging but rewarding...
Program Tutor (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 24, 2015
AVID is a program designed to help student with organization and prepare for college. I took the job because I had been in the program myself when I was a student and because I plan to be a teacher. Even though it is not the subject I plan to teach, I did learn quite a bit as far as classroom management and what it's like to interact with over 100 students on a day to day basis. I learned patience, discipline and what it means to be looked up to by students who are younger than me (I am a college student). The teacher I worked with was quite the character. She was strong-willed but she cared and we got things done. I only wish we had more support from administration but, from what I have observed, that seems to be a common problem in public schools. Other teachers were supportive and cooperative enough. The hardest part of the job was dealing with students who did not believe in their own worth enough to invest time and effort into their education. Nothing is sadder than a student who has given up on themselves before you have- you don't give up on them, actually. Despite that, it was rewarding to be able to forge bonds with the children over the course of the year and instill knowledge in them that they will carry with them forever.
Pros
Lunch was long enough for me to attend one college class and then go back to work.
Cons
There were not enough work days and hours for me to make a living (it was part-time)
company has a good idea behind it, just depends on where you work.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 16, 2015
-hard work
-middle of nowhere
-good temporary job in college if you really need the money
-wouldn't recommend it
-was in a toxic work environment
-children are very much in need and was difficult due to negative work environment at the school I was zoned at
-not the best place to work at by any means, even if you really need a job
Amazingly creative and out-of-the-box design work. Rode the audio and video innovation era.
Product Designer/Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAMay 26, 2015
Loved our band of Oscar, Grammy and Emmy award-winning design and quality assurance team. The executive team made many shortsighted, downfall decisions.
Pros
Creative culture
Cons
Low pay, poor product marketing, too many egos
Where students go to build friendship and good study habits
Tutor (Current Employee) –  TXMay 18, 2015
The typical work day consists of gathering all of the students Tutorial Request Forms and separating the forms into groups. The groups were separated by core classes the students needed assistance with. Students and tutors will help students by reviewing notes, text books, and knowledge obtained from the classroom.
I learned that reaching out for assistance can be crucial to a student's success. Every classroom that provided AVID tutorials had an AVID teacher. During tutorials the teacher made sure sessions ran smoothly without interruptions or undesired behaviors. When tutorials were not running the teacher provided team building activities. Everybody I worked with supported each other. Every tutor had their own group however, had the same objectives; a successful tutorial. If one tutor was more prominent on a subject we would sometimes call upon each other to assist the student. The hardest part about the job was learning how other teachers taught a subject. The tutor may know how to assist the student however, not in the way the teacher taught the student. Looking over the student's notes or visiting the teacher to learn their preferred method helped. The most enjoyable part about the job was witnessing the student's growth in education and team work/family building.
Pros
Helping others, working as a team
Cons
Not enough hours
Cool workplace
Salesforce Developer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 30, 2015
I mastered my skills in Salesforce development. I worked on Apex triggers, REST, SOAP web services, Apex schedular and Email notification functionality. The work was challenging but it has given me an opportunity to learn all these technologies.
The officers shows a great amount of hospitality.
Student (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville,FLApril 7, 2015
This was a long 8 hour job. I filed papers, moved boxes, and made copies. Lunch was always handled for me by one of the officers. I had no worry in the world at the sheriffs department.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
no cons
great environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Helped students with work that they struggled with for their classes. Spoke to them about college, and scholarship opportunities/

4.4