Avis Budget Group

Avis Budget Group Employer Reviews

productive
Rental sales (Former Employee), norfolk,vaJune 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: hours where bad & managers as well
this is the job that opened my eyes on why i enjoyed sell things to people. i why i enjoy people in general. i was just great at what i did and made the company alot of money.
Dealing with people all around the world.
Rental Sales Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TX Bush AirportJune 27, 2014
I currently work at Avis Budget group located at Bush Intercontinental airport. When I walk into work on the days I'm scheduled I wonder how the day will turn out. For example; the environment at the airport isn't like your normal local rental car branch, its more of dealing with high end companies that travel all around the world. You deal with all – more... types of people from different countries. – less
driver
Courtesy Bus Driver (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 26, 2014
Subcontractor with avis rent a car.
No schedule.
Driver all day
One brake
I learned a lot about HR in this position.
Human Resource Administrator (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJune 25, 2014
Budget was a great company to work for. I worked with a great group of people. Too bad I moved across the country.
Productive place to work
Rental Sales Agent (Current Employee), Christiansted, VIJune 22, 2014
Pros: great job and benefits
Cons: challenging
Productive place to work.A place that you are constantly gaining knowledge and always challenged to pursue firther.
Corporate is great. Franchise is NOT
Rental Sales Agent (Current Employee), Jacksonville, NC/New Hanover Car RentalJune 22, 2014
Cons: the owner. period
Local franchise and the pay is an insult. No benefits, no promotion, no compassion, treated like uneducated labor employees. I am not exaggerating in any capacity.
Corporate locations have great pay and opportunity to move up. Not here. $11 hr after 5 years
OK
Rental Agent/Customer Service, (Former Employee), Abilene, TXJune 21, 2014
Pros: beginning it was an enjoyable experience, learn new things, meet new challenges.
Cons: i wasn't given a chance to succeed in growing with the company because of illegal practices.
When I first started working there things went very smoothely. I took care of customer's requests for renting the right size car, cleaned and maintained the vehicles as they came in, kept rental logs updated and helped with any other office tasks as directed.

Then the manager decided to retire and in his place, instead of giving me the opportunity, – more... the owners hired another man, sight-unseen over the phone. This manager was very secretive and tried to involve me in his illegal dealings. When I refused, he fired me after changing the rental logs that caused a problem with a customer.

Not long after my departure, that manger was arrested and charged with criminal offenses stemming from the company finances and rentals. – less
Scattered and Unorganized Management
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2014
Pros: job security due to union
Cons: lowkey unhappy work environment
A place to become complacent in. Says that there is room for growth, but if you're not a rental sales agent, not really. Long hours and stressful. Not the ideal place to work if you have young children as a single parent or you're trying to go back to school.
Great Company
District Manager (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 16, 2014
Great pay and benifits with internal growth. I have a total of 10 years with ABG and love it.
pleasant
Office Manager (Former Employee), Yuba City, CAJune 13, 2014
pleasant place to work at . Great company. Good Management.
Horrible management / company dose not care about you. only the money you put in their pockets
Rental Agent / Sales Agent (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 10, 2014
Cons: run away very very fast.
Horrible place to work, not like it use to be. Commission is minimal if any. If you don't work at the airport or corporate they will treat you like step children. No growth opportunity. Everything is done half way. They do not care about their customers only profit. Word of advice fire everyone and start fresh. The company has turned into an abyss of – more... repetition. If you managed to bring in corporate accounts for them you get 0 compensation. District manager literally told me " No ones ever done that in years" Now you know why. – less
easy workplace
Service Agent (Current Employee), Columbus, MSJune 6, 2014
Pros: good work environment and co-workers
Cons: no benefits
I clean and service cars everyday, make sure there ready for upcoming reservations. I also have to clean and maintain my work area before clocking out. I've learned how to do inventory on our fleets, change tires, jump off dead batteries and check fluids in vehicles. My co- workers are very easy to get along with. There's nothing really difficult about – more... my job, just basically make sure to stay on top of the game. The most enjoyable part of my job is the majority of my shift, I get to be outside. – less
Not so great
Customer service agent (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJune 5, 2014
Pros: pay opportunity is great
Cons: too many factors against the commission
You have the opportunity to make a lot of money working for this company but there are too many things that count against you on the way to make the money.
A little bit of everything.
Rental Agent (Current Employee), Montclair, CAJune 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches, bonus every paycheck
Cons: unstable work schedule, only one person working per day
Working for Avis is very lonesome. Usually, I'm the only one working. I have to attend to customers, detail vehicles for the next day, answer calls. It gets a bit overwhelming when no one else is there to help you with customers when you're already with a customer and the other ones are impatiently waiting. I learned a lot from Avis. Working by yourself – more... prepares you in so many ways for future jobs. This job prepares you for future jobs knowing that you can basically handle anything that is thrown in my path. – less
fast paced job with multiple job duties
Manager (Former Employee), Manchester, CTMay 29, 2014
typical day at work would include: selling optional products as well as upgrading to larger vehicles, cleaning cars, doing manager reports, assisting customers, handling complaints, using a cash drawer, answering multi line phone
Horrible Management Practice and No Products, but Expected to Sell to Keep Job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 27, 2014
Pros: 8 hour shift, 30 minutes included; benefits.
Cons: managers, no cars, no hr, high school drama complete with coveting locker space, part-time college load capable only, and broken equipment fixed by india.
You apply online, take the typical personality assessment (choose extreme answers so you can remember your position), take a common sense sales scenario assessment if you're going for RSA, and follow up with drug test. They offer paid training for 3 months with a performance review at the end (never consistent unless managers can remember to do so).

You – more... get to clock in 6 minutes before or after your start time, before being considered late. Same method for finishing your shift; overtime is always available due to high turnover rate. You get 24 points to call in sick (2 pts each) or be tardy on (1 pt) in one year. If it becomes a habit, they have a disclaimer saying they can tack on points as they see fit and fire you. Shifts are based on seniority; meaning you'll be stationed to receive returning cars on "the hill" unless you can learn the 40 year old Wizard DoS system that they established their User Interface software upon or can handle customers yelling in your face. The system never integrates properly with 3rd party software (Amex, Concur) used by corporations (Lockheed, HP, Boeing, J&J, and Black&Veatch), so be prepared to answer the ultimate question "Why is my name not on the board?". Denver's Avis location uses union members with low cleaning quota of 4 cars per hour, while their Budget side uses GCA with no set limit. If you work on the Avis lot, you will never have vehicles due to this stipulation or if managers did not do last night's car head count correctly; morning shift involves a lot of smooth talking from managers to placate customers for lack of vehicles. Every Monday you have no cars and lots of customers. Every Thursday you have lots of car returns, and not enough agents; leading to a trickling in car inventory. You will feel like walking off the job when you expect 200 customers per hour, have room for 500 cars on the lot, and only see 80 cars online; they will be either a Toyota Yaris, a Dodge Grand Caravan, an F150 truck, or a Suburban, and your customer ordered a BMW x5; butter up your smile and sales pitch. Outsourced company, GCA, transports your vehicles and inserts them onto the inventory; as in your cars will go missing to get cleaned or not brought to proper location due to language barrier and miscommunication between manager and lead, but hey, everyone needs to get hired right?

They expect everyone to sell, CSRs are given a $400 a night quota in the winter and RSAs will be expected to acquire $14 revenue per night. The RSA quota is $12.50 in the summer. They hire anyone for the summer, and if you can't maintain sales, they'll fire you (RSAs) at the end of summer when it hits slow season. Airport manager will advise you to lie/omit, cheat, add products fraudulently and stand firm to maintain sales for their bonuses. Expect to go to the bar after your shift to complain about being expected to sell when managers finish their shift and leave with you broken windshield, manufacturer recalled, hard oil change, cars with no keys and technical issue vehicles; by the way you'll have to clean these vehicles yourself after 11pm when both crews have gone home.

Try to avoid working Saturday nights, since Wizard goes down twice a month, leaving you to manually write down contracts, search a vehicle, and call in for credit card authorizations. Try to learn the system quickly so you can stay in the Preferred or Fastbreak booth, or they will push you to return vehicles in extreme hot and cold temperatures with dropping network coverage for fractured handhelds and share one working portable printer. If you hate customers and can't handle technology, ask to work at "the gate" and your shift will involve scanning cars and forcing customers to return to the building if they don't have their license. Your coworkers at the gate will hand their job off to you to perform past vehicle exchanges, even if they've had retraining they will not retain the information at their age and seniority level.

If you have problems at work, do not bring it up to their attention. They will fire you under other premises to get you out. Do not consult HR, they don't even live in your state, but in your region. HR never returns voicemails. Do not go up the corporate ladder (operations manager > airport manager > city manager) with your written statements to complain as they do not notice conflict of interest and cover for each other. Incompetency goes pretty high up that ladder, hence why the district manager and the city's manager's boss was recently fired and the previous city manager retired. Thankfully, they have a no retaliation integrity hotline for you to use.

The most enjoyable part is your work crew. They make life there bearable, I will say they hire some people with good heart. RSAs get priority on VTOing on slow days versus CSRs, expect to work your full shift. Also, your benefits go into effect after a year with a 6% matching 401k to Merrill Lynch, 2 weeks vacation, 4 days PTO, 1.5x overtime and holiday pay.

The hardest part is dealing with incompetent management. They love people who suck up and do their work for them when it comes to the reports (exceptions, missing mileage), car counts, gas logs, and shift schedules. Some of your managers were hired without leadership qualifications or a degree, but through referrals. Your coworkers will leave their stations due to inability to sell or to stay above their already achieved Revenue per Day goal. It is the operation management's job to track these people to the bathroom, cafeteria, or wandering around the lot. Sometimes your coworkers will hold hands and leave for lunch at the same time leaving the front unmanned. Sucking up leads to preferential treatment and they will not be disciplined. Watch your E-time schedule to confirm management is not adjusting it as they please and you are getting paid correctly. For RSAs, there's no point to filling out missing revenue paperwork, they forget to reimburse or quote SOL on time to request.

One last thing, technical issues are resolved through India. Broken equipment, lost GUI passwords, wizard outage confirmations all involve India. Good luck understanding their advice. – less
Car Rentals
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches, commissions, incentives including gift cards, completely paid out of town training, discounts on company products, discounts on partner companies' products, healthcare/insurance plans
Cons: management, lack of support, high turnover, inflexibility in scheduling
Of all the jobs, I've held, I learned the most from Avis Budget Group. It was a relaxed environment as far as management. However, as with any job dealing with the general public, it had its stressful moments, especially given that it was in the travel industry. The support system set up for employees was as best as could be realistically expected for – more... this line of work, but it really was a job that required an individual to be cut out for that line of business. I saw many new hires not make it through the probation period. For me, the hardest part of the job was the lack of support in training given there was a strict and ever changing script to follow. There was a week of computerized training, another week of hands on training, then the rest one was expected to pick up on their own through mentors who hopefully, were willing to train. I saw a lot of new hires leave for this reason as well. It was a challenge, but not impossible for me, but I am also a quick learn and a highly social person. Those who could make it through the probation period found themselves surrounded by one of the best company support systems I've ever seen. These people truly were like a family to each other. Many people had been with the company for years stretching into decades. The potential commission was unrivaled and the insurance plans were very affordable. I ultimately left the company due to inflexibility with scheduling and family emergencies. – less
fun and fast paced
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 17, 2014
Fast paced environment that you can make a lot of money in as long as you are commission driven.
It is a job
Rental Sales Agent (Current Employee), Greenville, NCMay 16, 2014
There is no career advancement at this job. You can work 10 years and will only ever be what you are when you get hired. They do not offer raises. I have worked for 3 and a half years and only ever got one raise after my 90 days. I would not recommend this job at all.
Would never work for $7.40/hr Thats Immoral!
DRIVER/HIKER (Former Employee), TRAVERSE CITY, MIMay 15, 2014
Cons: everything
When average rent in traverse city is 600a month, bills up to 200 and gas around 200 and food around 150. THIS MANAGER NEEDS TO RETHINK WHAT HE/SHE IS OFFERING! PATHETIC!

ANY NEWBIES PLEASE DONT EVER ACCEPT A JOB AT THIS LOW RATE. IT IS COMPARABLE TO ALLOWING SOMEONE ON YOUR STREET TO BUY A HOUSE FOR 50%BELOW VALUE OF YOURS! IT RUINS THE ECONOMY

THESE – more... PEOPLE NEED TO DO PRISON TIME BECAUSE IT IS A CRIME TO HAVE TO WORK FOR LOW WAGES HERE! – less

About Avis Budget Group

Whether you're a business traveler on an expense account or a family on vacation counting every penny, Avis Budget Group has a – Read more

Avis Budget Group Photos