AvMed Health Plans Employee Reviews

Never work for Avmed in Sunrise, The Supervisor will burn you to the stake
Inpatient Case Manager UM (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FloridaAugust 19, 2013
1- Your training is a joke at Avmed, if you are a temp I feel bad for you, if you get hired full time, may the higher powers be with you. Your training will be you sitting across the supervisor's desk who will inform you not to take notes. Her English accent is so thick you are afraid to ask her to slow down or 'Im sorry I do not understand you'. She speaks very fast and she is very difficult to understand, yet will say to you after the '3 - 5 day' drive thru training, I call it.

The day you say you dont remember that part of the training, you will hear " I remembered telling you that (when I was training you). Im sorry I didnt get that the first time around it wasnt in english. As much as I wanted to say that, I took the hit and the felt the feeling of incompetence when reproached in that manner. As the supervisor is always right, right? This training was you either get it for the next 3 months or we get rid of you. Im glad I had some real training? or a real class? What a joke. I got it better than most, and they still got rid of me, so what does that tell you about Avmed.

Very high turnover rate with temps, as I noticed they treated them badly. They also received a drive "thru training" and it was worse than ours, and was still expected to do a job well done. They were talked down to by the supervisor and the medical Director, who literally ignored the temps, and treated them like dirt, the trainer never worked as a real nurse in a hospital and her spanish accent was as thick as mud.You might as well say you are part Latin, or you chances to stay on will continue to be
  more... very slim.

2-Your name is temp or the 'that new person' with no photo to your badge, ask for a photo and get a promise and an excuse the camera is broken. You will work well pass your hours and your days will turn into nights because you will still be there trying to finish all the work that nobody wanted and those assignments will be the worse. They tell you will get to go to the hospital at times, you will never get there if you dont work your fingers into the keyboard first. You will not get paid for more than 8 hours, so, the sooner you get done with the work the better. You will be accountable for time spent after cut off time.

3- 3 mths will go by and you will still be there hanging on working like an animal on the abusive job wondering if you passed probation, or better yet if you're a temp, you will never be offered a full time position. You will think you put in the time, the extra hours without pay and think you have landed the job. Then again they can say “well we abused you for 3 mths and everyone went on vacation, therefore without warning we don’t need you anymore, can’t afford you full time”. Please dont contact us, this is a right to work state, GOOD LUCK.

4- Will they tell you that, well not in your face, they will be deactivating all your access as the day go along, you will be experiencing TECHNOLOGICAL issues towards the end of the day, not understanding why and when you log out, that will be your last day. As they were monitoring your computer all day to see when to shut you down.

5- The last nurse there lasted 8 mths without a full time job offer and they threw her to the curb. Another nurse, was on the cusp of her 10 – 12 weeks and they also threw her to the curb, they have no intentions of bringing anyone in full time, unless you really know how to brown nose very nicely, because it will just cost them more money, versus getting a fresh body.

6- They will convince to stay as along as possible and tell you to stay calm while telling you what you want to hear. You know the line, 'you doing a good job, hang in there, what a joke. If you like your nursing license, preserve it and never work there. The stress level for you will be very high and it will send you into a whirlwind of questions, once that starts, its over for you. This is where your replacement begins, they know the s/s of 'what kind of place is this?'

7- If you have questions on how to complete your job, your manager is never around “always in the other office”, she is always in Miami, you might as well pack it up because no one will have time to help you do your job and their job. Remember you are new and you do not count yet. If you ask anyone what’s going on here?, you can call it a day.

8- The hardest part of the job is “ knowing you work so hard and they will kick you to the curb too, when you least expect it" “ The most enjoyable part was getting a chance to run to the car, without turning back, and that’s one hour later after the time you are supposed to go home. No one cares if you stay or work late, and it will be frowned upon.

9- Take a job from Avmed in Sunrise, Fort Lauderdale and you will be burnt to the ground, you might even go home upset and weepy. Your family will suffer, you will be stressed out and you will go home and kick the dog, cat, bird, etc, you may even get sick and you wont be able to go to the Doctor, because no one will believe you are sick. I got THROWN to the curbside like an animal with minge and I was doing a great job, yet I was looking haggard and it showed, so my clock was ticking with them obviously. You will never know they will be kicking you to the curb, everyone is soooooooooo nice.

10- I have always told them this is too much work for such little training, too much is expected for a new person. They said the more experience you have the more work you will get. I was out of a job at the blink of eye because I had a voice., sink or swim. Home or homeless, you decide. They do not care.

The next day, after I picked myself up from the floor, and wondered how fellow nurses can be so cruel and heartless especially from an insurance company in Sunrise, Fl.

Now I understand why the medicare generation does not want this Insurance Healthplan. If they can get scammed, so can the new employees. Now you know what to do fellow nurses, You decide if you want to work at Avmed.
Pros
just disappointments, going home was the best pro i could think of, oh wait if you speak spanish you might be on the supervisor good side, because you cant understand her horrible english accent while be trained by her.
Cons
you will work so hard, you will be unappreciated, and no one will care. you will be spoken to as if you are an idiot, you will be expected to the job done with very little training, no one will help you unless you beg, try never to get sick you will get terminated, finally all new personnel gets paid the same dollar amount regardless of experience or degree, your supervisor is threaten by your degree if its higher than hers.
Service Desk Field Tech II (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 21, 2015
A day at AvMed is busy and highly demanding in getting things done. I consistently delivered a superior technical and customer service experience to the users. For most tickets I responded as fast as I could, depending on how much work there was. I figured out the appropriate solution or work around as fast as anyone else and reported results back to the manager to help the team if the problem came up again. If a user let the manager know I didn't do everything as well as they wanted, I would listen to what was said and try to apply it as I continued to learn how IT works at AvMed so I was getting better all year long. My co-workers were awesome and very nice. We were all happy to work with each other. We would share knowledge with each and make sure the left hand knew what the right hand was doing. The hardest part of the job is trying to reach end users to resolve their issue in a timely manor. The most enjoyable part of the job is the employees are so nice when they call the service desk. I've never spoken to anyone angry or upset about anything.
Pros
all employees at avmed are nice and courteous
Cons
the company has a high turnaround rate they higher allot of temp employees
Avmed
Member Services Representative Level III (Current Employee) –  miami flJanuary 21, 2013
Member Services Representative Level III-Provide accurate information for claims process to members or members representatives in a professional timely manner Offer understanding of plan offerings including co-insurance/deductible
• Properly document calls/contacts as required by departments standards
• Maintaining up to date and thorough knowledge of Avmed’s products
• Provide accurate research and resolution to member issues
• Maintain an accurate filing system to ensure proper follow-up and resolution of cases
• Escalate unresolved issues to the next level
• Maintain strict confidentiality of all sensitive information
• Demonstrate and promote Avmed values
Pros
thursday treats
Cons
no cons
Productive excellent place to work for and free coffee.
Senior Clerk / Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 30, 2014
Taking in coming calls in a call center setting. Helping customers understand their health benefits. Filed grievances as needed if a customer was billed when they were not supposed to be billed. Helped providers get authorizations for customers medications, surgeries, etc. I learned to take more than 30 calls an hour. Management was great. My co-workers were the best. Hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
helping customers. great benefits.
Cons
short lunches
A stagnant Company with high turnover
Sales (Former Employee) –  North RegionJanuary 20, 2014
North Region is the "forgotten stepchild" in the eyes of senior management in Miami, the Corporate headquarters. Overall, SanteFe Healthcare is a very good Company, but AvMed is a dinosaur in today's health insurance marketplace. The North Region is given little to no support from senior management in regard to advertising, pricing strategy or strategic direction. There have been several Sales Directors in recent years in the North.
This should tell you something.
Pros
fair benefits package, community involvement activities
Cons
favoritism, job uncertainty, rude senior management
Outisde Sales
Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 30, 2012
I work with brokers and financial consultants, specializing in health care solutions for employer groups. Present to c-level decision makers and conduct employee benefit meetings. Work involves travel within assigned territory and hitting monthly sales metrics. Present and assess for Senior Leadership, market conditions related to communications, advertising, product, pricing, agent/consultant service, and client service needs. Typical work day includes making sales phone calls as well as face to face calls.
Great introduction to Health Care
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 21, 2012
This was a great company to work for. I learned a lot about health benefits, claims processing and billing practices. I think the most challenging part of a member representative job is learning to diffuse angry callers and to find a resolution to complex claim/billing issues. The most enjoyable part is definitely being able to help someone in need.
Pros
you learn a lot about the health care
Cons
constant high call volume, this can be stressful at times
Nice people in my department to work with.
Quality Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 16, 2012
AvMed is a fair company to work for. The company abides by it core values. They are always trying to improve processes. I enjoy working for this company, however, I am unhappy with some of the management styles and feel like I am not being challenged.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
new management style
Professional friendly company
HEDIS Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 21, 2014
People who work here are wonderful: intelligent, ambitious, motivated, and perhaps most important - FUN! They work together as a team that team camaraderie allows you to stay motivated. Everyone is encouraged to work hard, and is rewarded for that. The management team welcomes constructive feedback
Pros
stable company
Cons
short term (temporary) job assignment
Senior Analytical Consultant, Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FloridaApril 27, 2015
Great people who enjoy what they do. You work hard, but collaborative co-workers and managers provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
Pros
Great people, competitive benefits/salary
Cons
Outdated data mining software, which requires more manual intervention than ideal

Want to know more about AvMed Health Plans?

Ask a question
Very productive and great place to work at
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 21, 2014
I enjoy what I do and love working with people overall, especially the elderly at this moment here at Av-Med.

Love working with people and assisting them in their needs as well.

I enjoy going the extra mile for my clients at all times.
I enjoy this place of employment
Clinical Coordination Technician (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 18, 2015
I enjoy the family atmosphere and the AvMed care values that are displayed daily on and off the clock. I have learned alot, worked with a very good, diverse group of people.
Pros
family environment; loving staff
Enjoyable environment full of highly skilled employees
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FloridaFebruary 16, 2015
-Hospital admissions
-Insurance authorizations
-Call center customer service
Everyone willing to help each other to ensure the success of learning the job and completing the tasks at hand.
Productive environment. High Pressure. Management turnover.
MANAGER SPECIALTY MARKETING MEDICARE (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 6, 2014
Managed all Medicare marketing efforts. 50 events in a 10 week period and all other strategic initiatives for the Senior marketing.
Met all Federal regulations and compliance issues regularly.
Enjoyed working with AvMed, loved my position there.
Sr. Treasury Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 29, 2012
AvMed is a good company to work for, they offer great benefits, work hours are great and the employees there are extreamly helpful and pleasant to work with.
Pros
on premesis gym
Friendly culture, no growth, scattered leadership
Program Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 16, 2015
Friendly culture, no growth, scattered leadership and compensation tends to be below market, encouraging management to continually shoot for lower quality staff.
Pros
Cons
Leadership changes course frequently, below market compensation
provider service rep
Verification Representative for Provider Services (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 10, 2014
I enjoyed going into work everyday. I loved speaking on the phone with the providers . I gained a lot of knowledge throughout my time at Avmed.
Inpt Case Manager
Inpt Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami & Fort Lauderdale, FloridaJuly 18, 2013
Looking for abuse work there. There is no other review out there about this position. They all quit. Staff belongs to clicks.
Pros
theres lots of work
Cons
work till you drop dead
Competitive compensation
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 3, 2012
Fair and ethical company. Lots of VPs and Senior VPs but there are serious issues they need to fix.
Pros
yearly townhall meetings
Cons
does anyone every take a lunch break?
Long term employees at company
Provider Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 27, 2013
There is a lot of team work within a department and assistance from outside departments. Manager is helpful with issues and professional progress.