AVX Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to work with smiling faces, multi-culture workfore
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at work was being productive.
What I learned for the day is manufacture the best product
Knowing management give me the best opportunity to do my job.
Knowing my co-workers was willing to give 100%.
The hardest part of my job was the language barrier with the difference multi-culture workforce.
The most enjoyable part of the job was manufacturing a quality product.
Pros
Great company, good people
Cons
Needed better healthcare and retirement benefits
Great people, from top to bottom
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 23, 2015
Working for AVX the ten years i was there, was one of the more positive experiences of my working history. Supervisors and management were VERY suportive and brought out the best of all employees working within the company.Working at AVX was like working with family, we all worked together and helped each other, didn't matter if you were Department Manager or machine operator.
Pros
Great company, managers, supervisors best i worked with (my 35yrs exp.)
the best job i ever had
Data Entry, Material Support (Former Employee) –  myrtle beachAugust 24, 2015
I loved everything about AVX. the pay was good, vacation was good, the work environment was safe, and the job security was great until the plant closed
More suitable for older people
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCJune 17, 2015
Very gloomy atmosphere, no real prospect for advancement, not recommended for new grads. Management is too hands off. Typical work day is secluded and routine, with a lot of isolated equipment maintenance issues. The most enjoyable park would be sort of hands off atmosphere which also doubles as the worst part.
Working at AVX Corporation, was actually, the best job that I ever had. The employees were very happy, and once you were there, you stayed.
Electronics Technician, I (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 5, 2015
AVX Corporation, was the place that workers would come to work, and decide to retire from there. Every body liked their jobs, there was plenty of room for advancement, and the workers were happy. I enjoyed going to work, every day. My life has not been the same, since they were forced to lay-off, due to the slump in the electronics market, before the cell phone boom. I have not been able to find that level of employment, anywhere since.
Pros
everything about working there, was the best.
Cons
i can not think of a single thing, about being employed there, that i did not like. they are awesome.
A Waste Of Your Professional Time
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 4, 2015
Company pays below market salaries, provides no support for training or professional development, uses antiquated technology, is significantly understaffed. Dramatic increase in turnover following the relocation to Greenville. Every day spent working for AVX is a wasted day of your professional life.
Pros
still some talented people at the company
Cons
short sighted management, low pay, no future
Had several differnet jobs over the years there.
Clerical/Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 28, 2014
Started as clerical in the Human Relations Department. Moved to Engineering as a Secretary. Started attending school for computer aided design. Promoted to CAD operator/designer. Finally was a lab technician in Research and Development. Enjoyed working many different jobs and people.
Pros
steady job monday through friday
ship work to other plants with the company
Line operator (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 22, 2014
Line operator, customer services, Ability to handle a variety of tats
simultaneously, motivating to other,
Very nice place to work, before its closure.
Chemical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 27, 2014
AVX was a nice corporation to work for, before its closure. The company moved its business overseas about a year after a massive lay-off, which I was included in. The environment was very laid back and everyone had their own assignments to complete, which determined how long or short your day would be.
Pros
paid holidays, no-pressure workload
Cons
sudden closure, many jobs were lost
Mechanical Technician
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 21, 2013
I'm more of an outdoors person however I enjoyed working for this company.
Cons
healthcare
Stay away
Sales (Former Employee) –  Fountain inn, SCNovember 29, 2013
Only if you are desperate for a job. No training, highly stressful, poor management, low wages, poor working environment, employees are not valued. Turnover is like a revolving door. No incentive to perform. Merit reviews are a joke and predetermined. Very good employees receive low rating to keep raise very low. Out of date systems and don't expect a clean safe work environment. Company will do anything to save a penny. No work/life balance.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
low wages, lousy benefits, sr mngmt is disconnected
Operating a machine in a productive and timely manner
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCOctober 31, 2013
A production machine operator and was also trained in quality control to make sure that the quality of the work was satisfactory to be shipped to consumers.
Pros
enjoy my co- workers
Cons
health care
Attrition rate was high, lay-off fear constant, otherwise good conditions
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 22, 2013
Although the work place was an excellent environment to work within, the stress of the every day threat of lay-off was monumental, and it was evident everywhere you looked. In my estimation, it lead to poor efforts in the work force, hampered the precise work that was necessary in that type of work and at times affected poor results in achieving a good product. At times when good results were gained, the product and it's formulation was sent to Japan for final production. It was a slap in the face for those who developed the product. Their reward was a possible lay- off. Out sourcing the demise of the American work force..
Pros
good co-workers, and excellent environment
Cons
poor policies and poor future for workers
The Best Executives and Company
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 9, 2013
Typical day was to organize meetings, itineraries, minutes, booklets, answer phones, all equipment, etc... I learned so much I cant even begin to write it all down. Deligation and patience. Very competivie co-workers, they all wanted my job, second to the very top. Hardest part of the job was always striving for perfection. Most enjoyable, knowing I was working for the best of the best.
Pros
notoriety.
Cons
none.
it was a good job and I enjoyed working there
Screen And Midas Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 19, 2013
My typical day at work was given a clean smocks every morning because, we worked in an area that was considered a clean room where we made and punched the computer chips. Through the three year's that I've worked there I learned to become better skilled as both Screen and Midas Operator's. Management was good and my co-workers and I were always laughing and cracking jokes just to past the time at work. The hardest part of the job was having to leave because, my husband and I were leaving for Germany. The enjoyable part was having pot-lucks.
Pros
we had pot-luck
Cons
healthcare was given to all employees
Stressful but rewarding place to work
Sr. Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 18, 2013
As a whole AVX is an okay place to work. One of their drawbacks is that it is top heavy, meaning there are too many layers of management.
I enjoyed my job
Field Sales Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 16, 2013
There was no typical day and I enjoyed that the most as it gave me a change of pace daily. My co-workers were the best you could find anywhere. The best part was assisting the customers and co-workers alike.
Assembling Testing
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 25, 2012
Worked in a clean room and performed various tests on
electronic circuit cards and equipment. Electronic assembler
assembling interface devices requiring wire wrapping and
soldering. Electronic cables requiring splicing, crimping wires
and connectors. Review and understand sediments protocols
and the relationship of procedures to agency guidelines.
-Testing, micro-soldering, and assembling breaker boards,
electronic circuit cards and equipment.
-Great communication skills with external and internal customers.
Only if you are desperate for a job
rather not say (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 17, 2012
If you are on your last buck, then do it. Otherwise, stay away.
Most political environment I have ever worked. Senior management is clueless and only wants to pad their bank accounts before they retire. Pay and benefits are not competitive. Systems are ancient. Office supplies are scarce. Be prepared to steal pens and paper from hotels when traveling.
Pros
they don't make you supply your own toilet paper
Cons
bad management, lousy benefits, low pay, no advancement
Great Company to work for.
Sr. Sales Operation Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 20, 2012
Great company to work for. Awesome team spirit. Learn a great deal from my co workers.

2.8