AVX Corporation Employee Reviews

AVX has (had) lot of great and talented people, they keep going away as a result of horible management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  otherFebruary 3, 2017
Working at AVX is definitely interesting, one can learn a lot. There are areas where the company develops and produces technology which is leading among competition.
Given the low investment policy, low salary policy and bully type of management, one wonders how is this great circus still keeps running. There is a number of totally incompetent people working in the top management making decisions which lead to total collapse.
Pros
Great technology
Cons
Low salaries, no advancements, no hope
Horrible place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 14, 2016
Constant harassment and threats by coworkers protected by management. Extremely high turn over and no opportunities for advancement or incentives for efficient workers. Suffers from bootlicker syndrome if you do a good job coworkers will spread nasty rumors and create problems for you with a managment too lazy to look into the issue past the fact that someone is complaining. Several shot out windows from gunfire in the administration building visible from 385. Do not work here if you can help it plenty of other jobs In the area.
Pros
Good company benefits
Cons
Everything else
Not a bad place to work. Pay is low.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 12, 2016
Over 17.5 years at AVX. The last 8 years I was there,I had no pay increase at all. None of the factory.employees had either. Theyre consolidating their manufacturing.lines,which.led to.my.being laid off.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
No pay increases
Avx
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 3, 2017
The best day at work was my last day. I worked a weekend shift - 12 hours days and that was a rough schedule being stuck in a manufacturing room with no windows. Plus I hated wearing the clean room uniforms. Most coworkers were closed minded.
AP Clerk
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCSeptember 9, 2016
I worked there almost four years. Turnover is horrible. Pay is extremely bad. Management is completely out of touch. No room for advancement...they let hard working people go...and keep the slackers. Worst company I have ever worked for...Look somewhere else!!!
Cons
poor management, poor pay...high turnover
n/a
CMAP MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 4, 2017
Would not recommend emp. at AVX. Sending all of there work over seas, and after 30years with the company all I was sent home with was just paperwork. .
I feel that it's not what you know but who you know that gets you a better break
Component Operator (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 15, 2016
The pay is lousy for the labors, we need a raise and their is no room for advancement.

Management show favor to some employees.

Some of the employees are bullies and show harassment to their co-workers.

I feel like it is a unsafe place to work, because the workers are getting tired of the unfairness and one day someone is going to snap.

The hardest part of my job is when co-workers come in my area and work overtime and get paid more than me and do less work.

The enjoyable part of the job is pay day and when we do see something happen that is fair for the workers.
Pros
We don't get bounes
Cons
That's what we get short breaks and bad health care rates
Productive and fun place to work with smiling faces, multi-culture workfore
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at work was being productive.
What I learned for the day is manufacture the best product
Knowing management give me the best opportunity to do my job.
Knowing my co-workers was willing to give 100%.
The hardest part of my job was the language barrier with the difference multi-culture workforce.
The most enjoyable part of the job was manufacturing a quality product.
Pros
Great company, good people
Cons
Needed better healthcare and retirement benefits
Great people, from top to bottom
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCSeptember 23, 2015
Working for AVX the ten years i was there, was one of the more positive experiences of my working history. Supervisors and management were VERY suportive and brought out the best of all employees working within the company.Working at AVX was like working with family, we all worked together and helped each other, didn't matter if you were Department Manager or machine operator.
Pros
Great company, managers, supervisors best i worked with (my 35yrs exp.)
Cons
More suitable for older people
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCJune 17, 2015
Very gloomy atmosphere, no real prospect for advancement, not recommended for new grads. Management is too hands off. Typical work day is secluded and routine, with a lot of isolated equipment maintenance issues. The most enjoyable park would be sort of hands off atmosphere which also doubles as the worst part.

Want to know more about AVX Corporation?

Ask a question
Working at AVX Corporation, was actually, the best job that I ever had. The employees were very happy, and once you were there, you stayed.
Electronics Technician, I (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 5, 2015
AVX Corporation, was the place that workers would come to work, and decide to retire from there. Every body liked their jobs, there was plenty of room for advancement, and the workers were happy. I enjoyed going to work, every day. My life has not been the same, since they were forced to lay-off, due to the slump in the electronics market, before the cell phone boom. I have not been able to find that level of employment, anywhere since.
Pros
Everything about working there, was the best.
Cons
I can not think of a single thing, about being employed there, that I did not like. They are Awesome.
A Waste Of Your Professional Time
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 4, 2015
Company pays below market salaries, provides no support for training or professional development, uses antiquated technology, is significantly understaffed. Dramatic increase in turnover following the relocation to Greenville. Every day spent working for AVX is a wasted day of your professional life.
Pros
Still some talented people at the company
Cons
Short sighted management, low pay, no future
Cut throat place to work, highly political
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 9, 2012
I worked here for about 4 years. The number one rule at this place is that they will do anything to save a buck. Don't expect to make much money. Highly political environment. When I worked there, seemed to be a lot of shady stuff going on. How you do in your job really doesn't matter, it's all based on politics. They also won't hesitate to cut people that don't "fit in".
Pros
they don't micro manage, and made a lot of friends there
Cons
highly political
Only if you are desperate for a job
rather not say (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 17, 2012
If you are on your last buck, then do it. Otherwise, stay away.
Most political environment I have ever worked. Senior management is clueless and only wants to pad their bank accounts before they retire. Pay and benefits are not competitive. Systems are ancient. Office supplies are scarce. Be prepared to steal pens and paper from hotels when traveling.
Pros
they don't make you supply your own toilet paper
Cons
bad management, lousy benefits, low pay, no advancement
Stay away
Sales (Former Employee) –  Fountain inn, SCNovember 29, 2013
Only if you are desperate for a job. No training, highly stressful, poor management, low wages, poor working environment, employees are not valued. Turnover is like a revolving door. No incentive to perform. Merit reviews are a joke and predetermined. Very good employees receive low rating to keep raise very low. Out of date systems and don't expect a clean safe work environment. Company will do anything to save a penny. No work/life balance.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low wages, lousy benefits, Sr mngmt is disconnected
Assembling Testing
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 25, 2012
Worked in a clean room and performed various tests on
electronic circuit cards and equipment. Electronic assembler
assembling interface devices requiring wire wrapping and
soldering. Electronic cables requiring splicing, crimping wires
and connectors. Review and understand sediments protocols
and the relationship of procedures to agency guidelines.
-Testing, micro-soldering, and assembling breaker boards,
electronic circuit cards and equipment.
-Great communication skills with external and internal customers.
it was a good job and I enjoyed working there
Screen And Midas Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 19, 2013
My typical day at work was given a clean smocks every morning because, we worked in an area that was considered a clean room where we made and punched the computer chips. Through the three year's that I've worked there I learned to become better skilled as both Screen and Midas Operator's. Management was good and my co-workers and I were always laughing and cracking jokes just to past the time at work. The hardest part of the job was having to leave because, my husband and I were leaving for Germany. The enjoyable part was having pot-lucks.
Pros
we had pot-luck
Cons
healthcare was given to all employees
Very nice place to work, before its closure.
Chemical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 27, 2014
AVX was a nice corporation to work for, before its closure. The company moved its business overseas about a year after a massive lay-off, which I was included in. The environment was very laid back and everyone had their own assignments to complete, which determined how long or short your day would be.
Pros
Paid holidays, no-pressure workload
Cons
Sudden closure, many jobs were lost
The Best Executives and Company
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 9, 2013
Typical day was to organize meetings, itineraries, minutes, booklets, answer phones, all equipment, etc... I learned so much I cant even begin to write it all down. Deligation and patience. Very competivie co-workers, they all wanted my job, second to the very top. Hardest part of the job was always striving for perfection. Most enjoyable, knowing I was working for the best of the best.
Pros
Notoriety.
Cons
None.
Attrition rate was high, lay-off fear constant, otherwise good conditions
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 22, 2013
Although the work place was an excellent environment to work within, the stress of the every day threat of lay-off was monumental, and it was evident everywhere you looked. In my estimation, it lead to poor efforts in the work force, hampered the precise work that was necessary in that type of work and at times affected poor results in achieving a good product. At times when good results were gained, the product and it's formulation was sent to Japan for final production. It was a slap in the face for those who developed the product. Their reward was a possible lay- off. Out sourcing the demise of the American work force..
Pros
good co-workers, and excellent environment
Cons
poor policies and poor future for workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AVX Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9