AVX Corporation

AVX Corporation Employer Reviews

Very nice place to work, before its closure.
Chemical Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: paid holidays, no-pressure workload
Cons: sudden closure, many jobs were lost
AVX was a nice corporation to work for, before its closure. The company moved its business overseas about a year after a massive lay-off, which I was included in. The environment was very laid back and everyone had their own assignments to complete, which determined how long or short your day would be.
Mechanical Technician
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee), Conway, SCDecember 21, 2013
Cons: healthcare
I'm more of an outdoors person however I enjoyed working for this company.
Stay away
Sales (Former Employee), Fountain inn, SCNovember 29, 2013
Pros: coworkers
Cons: low wages, lousy benefits, sr mngmt is disconnected
Only if you are desperate for a job. No training, highly stressful, poor management, low wages, poor working environment, employees are not valued. Turnover is like a revolving door. No incentive to perform. Merit reviews are a joke and predetermined. Very good employees receive low rating to keep raise very low. Out of date systems and don't expect – more... a clean safe work environment. Company will do anything to save a penny. No work/life balance. – less
Operating a machine in a productive and timely manner
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Conway, SCOctober 31, 2013
Pros: enjoy my co- workers
Cons: health care
A production machine operator and was also trained in quality control to make sure that the quality of the work was satisfactory to be shipped to consumers.
Attrition rate was high, lay-off fear constant, otherwise good conditions
Research Technician (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 22, 2013
Pros: good co-workers, and excellent environment
Cons: poor policies and poor future for workers
Although the work place was an excellent environment to work within, the stress of the every day threat of lay-off was monumental, and it was evident everywhere you looked. In my estimation, it lead to poor efforts in the work force, hampered the precise work that was necessary in that type of work and at times affected poor results in achieving a good – more... product. At times when good results were gained, the product and it's formulation was sent to Japan for final production. It was a slap in the face for those who developed the product. Their reward was a possible lay- off. Out sourcing the demise of the American work force.. – less
The Best Executives and Company
Executive Secretary (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 9, 2013
Pros: notoriety.
Cons: none.
Typical day was to organize meetings, itineraries, minutes, booklets, answer phones, all equipment, etc... I learned so much I cant even begin to write it all down. Deligation and patience. Very competivie co-workers, they all wanted my job, second to the very top. Hardest part of the job was always striving for perfection. Most enjoyable, knowing I – more... was working for the best of the best. – less
it was a good job and I enjoyed working there
Screen And Midas Operator (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 19, 2013
Pros: we had pot-luck
Cons: healthcare was given to all employees
My typical day at work was given a clean smocks every morning because, we worked in an area that was considered a clean room where we made and punched the computer chips. Through the three year's that I've worked there I learned to become better skilled as both Screen and Midas Operator's. Management was good and my co-workers and I were always laughing – more... and cracking jokes just to past the time at work. The hardest part of the job was having to leave because, my husband and I were leaving for Germany. The enjoyable part was having pot-lucks. – less
Stressful but rewarding place to work
Sr. Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCJune 18, 2013
As a whole AVX is an okay place to work. One of their drawbacks is that it is top heavy, meaning there are too many layers of management.
I enjoyed my job
Field Sales Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAApril 16, 2013
There was no typical day and I enjoyed that the most as it gave me a change of pace daily. My co-workers were the best you could find anywhere. The best part was assisting the customers and co-workers alike.
Assembling Testing
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, CODecember 25, 2012
Worked in a clean room and performed various tests on
electronic circuit cards and equipment. Electronic assembler
assembling interface devices requiring wire wrapping and
soldering. Electronic cables requiring splicing, crimping wires
and connectors. Review and understand sediments protocols
and the relationship of procedures to agency guidelines.
-Testing, – more... micro-soldering, and assembling breaker boards,
electronic circuit cards and equipment.
-Great communication skills with external and internal customers. – less
Only if you are desperate for a job
rather not say (Former Employee), Greenville, SCDecember 17, 2012
Pros: they don't make you supply your own toilet paper
Cons: bad management, lousy benefits, low pay, no advancement
If you are on your last buck, then do it. Otherwise, stay away.
Most political environment I have ever worked. Senior management is clueless and only wants to pad their bank accounts before they retire. Pay and benefits are not competitive. Systems are ancient. Office supplies are scarce. Be prepared to steal pens and paper from hotels when traveling.
Great Company to work for.
Sr. Sales Operation Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 20, 2012
Great company to work for. Awesome team spirit. Learn a great deal from my co workers.
Great Job
Employee (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 14, 2012
Mentored me and gained so many skills that have helped build my skill base.
Was very nice place to work with good coworkers & advancement opportunities.
Assistant Credit Manager (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 18, 2012
This postion had good benefits & a very up to date work culture. In this position I learned good collection & credit rating skills that I have used in other postions.
OK place to work but not technically challenging.
Capacitor Manufacturing Automated Process Tech (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COOctober 16, 2012
AVX was a nice place to work. Work enviroment was pleasant and employees were recognized for a job well done. I personally did not find the work my position was as technically challenging as positions in which I held with other employers.
Sometimes there was no advancement because of the economy
Production Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Conway, SCOctober 15, 2012
Quality and safety come first. This company really didn't take care of their own, ask anybody. They will lay off a dedicated 20+ person, keep a 2 year person just to save a buck.
High stress / turnover
Sales & Marketing (Current Employee), Greenville, SCOctober 14, 2012
Pros: .... turkey at christmas?
Cons: no work / personal life balance. no training.
Turnover rate is extremely high after relocation to Upstate, SC. "Could" be a great place to work.. Constant aggressive verbal altercations in offices. Employees openly discussing other job interviews and searches. Demoralizing environment. Very talented coworkers, but unfortunately many are looking to leave.
Excellent place to work
Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 1, 2012
I had the opportunity to work with international teams on a variety of different product development effort. Furthermore a number of different process improvements were accomplished during my tenure.
Everyone is looking to quit...
Project Manager/Industrial Engineer (Current Employee), Greenville, SCSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: no comment.
Cons: everything else.
I'd rather not comment.

"If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all."
Unprofessional, unethical leadership.
Product Marketing (Current Employee), Greenville, SCJuly 2, 2012
Pros: talented peers.
Cons: uncompetitive compensation packages. hostile workplace. no training.
Hostile work environment due to leadership. Leadership sees no value in human resources. No training is offered. Business runs too lean, with outdated systems and tools. Uncompetitive compensation and benefits.

On the positive side, peers are talented.

About AVX Corporation

AVX proves that tiny parts can add up to big business. The company's largest segment, passive components, makes passive electronic – Read more