Awana Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Fun, rewarding work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Lansdale, PAOctober 21, 2015
It was fun to get together with my group each week, getting to hear how they were and catching up with them. It was also great to see their friendships and how they got along.
Awana
Child Care & Nursery Worker (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TexasMay 5, 2015
Working with 3 and 4 year old children. Helping them learn Bible verses, play games that encourage team work and learning to work with others. Keeping records of the children and their attendance and the verses they say; giving out patches for a certain amount of verses the children say. At the end of the school year we have an award ceremony. All voluntary.
Pros
free, working with children, teaching, hands on, helping and loving on kids
Cons
short amount of time working with children
fun place to work if you like kids
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 15, 2015
the most fun part about working there was working with the kids. There wasn't anything really hard about the job. the people I worked with were great.
Challenging and has opportunities to enhance leadership
Leader -JBLM Main Post Chapel (Former Employee) –  Spanaway, WAJune 9, 2014
You would get to your spot when preparing to begin, learned to deal with those who are very difficult to work with, great co-workers, hard to get everyone in order and focused and the planning ahead and management of the group is challenging
Pros
great opportunities to build leadership
Cons
group could get reassigned at the most unexpected times
A great place to do volunteer work that gives back in heart touching moments
Leader (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 4, 2012
Although it may have been volunteer work, I always thought of the kids as my own. Sure they could be a bit rowdy at times, but seeing the cute smiles on their faces and the knowledge that these children were actually learning from me made it all worth it. Everyone was nice and polite and willing to help co-workers and parents find what they need.
Pros
job satisfaction
Misleading reviews - Toxic culture
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Streamwood, ILJuly 13, 2015
The problem is that the reviews on here are primarily from volunteers at the local level and interns who had a very short tenure with this organization. This is a ministry organization, a nonprofit that is having impact locally around the world. BUT the office environment and culture is exceedingly toxic. Leadership again and again has proven itself narcissistic and short-sighted. Staff generally fear for their jobs - out of the reality that a LARGE number of people (a decidedly disproportionate number) have been terminated or laid off over the past three to five years. The result has had the effect of paralyzing those who do work here still with "survivor guilt" as they continue to be treated in ways that are visibly palatable but nobody is being fooled by it. Staff know the score. Leadership's lack of truly leading as Jesus would, plus the threat of being next in line out the door has prompted many more to leave voluntarily.

Speaking as a former employee (and yes, I do have an ax to grind here), I felt compelled to give balance to reviews on Indeed. This place is poorly managed and leadership is grasping at straws trying to figure out how to repackage a product whose day has come and gone.

Could not give lower scores.
A typical AWANA meeting night
Leader / Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nettleton Baptist ChurchJuly 6, 2012
AWANA is not a company it is a club for children at our Church. We had approximately 160-200 children attend weekly on Wednesday evenings. I taught Second grade for two years and was a secretary for one year. The age range for AWANA is 2 yrs to 6th grade. Children are like sponges, the can soak up the Word of God and apply it in ways we never dreamed. The have a game time, hand book time, mission time and snack time. They truly enjoy this. Most children memorize at least 6 scripture verses each night! They earn awards and have special challenges and have contests...it is great fun! Seeing the kids run in the door to check in, so they can say the verses they have learned is so enjoyable. The hardest part would be the fatigue and the noise that many children can produce...but it's a good tired. We all feel that way (the other workers). My husband kept working at it for many years, then began working with older children as our son aged, I again began Youth work.
Pros
children learning about jesus!
Cons
the noise.
kids
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Hickvill, NYOctober 27, 2014
As a associate director working with kids and understanding their mind is beautiful. its not easy handling 100 kids coming from different background and cultures.
Pros
free
Beneficial non-profit with a desire to change Teen's lives
Assistant Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence,MAJuly 30, 2015
I love volunteering at AWANA's Trek program because I connect well with the kids, and I have an opportunity to make a positive impact in my student's lives. I just wish that the program had more funding so that the kids could have all of their materials, ETC.

Typically, we meet with the kids and open up the evening in prayer. We go around the circle talking about the high points and low points of our week, then we move into the evening's lesson before ending the night with a fun, active, and interactive activity.

I've learned to appreciate the role of a mentor more because I've seen how much the kids look up to us and actually consider and apply the formal and informal things that we teach them. My wife and I are the assistants to the main instructor, but we all play a part in managing the classroom, however we all answer to the on-site Program Director; a very understanding and committed woman whom shows sincere concern for these kid's wellbeing.

I love my co-workers because we support each other in and out of the classroom, and we are constantly learning from each other.

The hardest part of the job was thinking of creative ways to keep the kids coming back each week, but that became the least of our concerns, with time, because the kids loved being there with us, and it felt like being with family.

I enjoyed teaching my kids how to be critical-thinkers and to use good judgement, the most.
Pros
mentoring opportunity, a safe haven for kids, pushes you to be creative
Cons
a lack of materials for the students and instructors