B&H Photo Video Employee Reviews

Great for Hasidic Jewish Men. Not great for everyone else!
Content Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
This is a company designed for and around the Hasidic Jewish culture. If this applies to you, and if you are a man especially, then this is the optimal environment for you. If you are not - especially if you are a non-Jewish woman, gay, or a person of color, look elsewhere.
Pros
Pretty good health insurance plan.
Cons
Everything else.
Stresful
Front Store Check In (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 17, 2018
B&H was an ok place to work at. Very busy and can be a little stressful. Some employees weren't so nice also very competitive. The hours were good but wasn't able to take vacation.
Pros
made new friends
Cons
short breaks
Productive workplace
Ground Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2018
Not bad of a workplace. Very diversified in terms of race/ culture. Hours weren't an issue as far as work was concerned. Only con was management, room for improvement on that end.
Stressful
Store Stocker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2017
I've experienced much discrimination, disrespect, prejudice behavior, and racism from the workers,, supervisors and managers. I would never recommend this job to any human being that carries respect for themselves. I've learned my lesson.
Very fast paced store
Retail Sales/ coat check (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 15, 2017
I was doing coat check and also retail, you have to multitask and be in point .a lot of visitors from different cities come shop there an it is very busy . Great people everybody was getting their job done an treat eachother well respect.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Break an health coverage
the most enjoyable part of the job
stock worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
interacting with the customers ,friendly environment.break rooms is clean and well stocked .lockers are provided.always busy sometimes it get stressful.
Pros
employees are great to work witth
Cons
no benefits
great place to work
SALES & PURCHASING (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2017
very good pay takes very good care of there employees

never paid late good bonuses good co workers

fun place to work get to know all the latest gadgets etc
Pros
on time pay good bonuses
Cons
very little room for growth
Great Company
TECHNICAL WRITER & PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2017
Excellent job security and benefits! Fast-paced work environment and a lot of opportunities for collaboration. The tolerant atmosphere, fair scheduling, eccentric mix of co-workers all contributed to a pleasant work environment.
Good benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2017
Good benefits plus a good set amount of time off every year, between personal days, vacations and jewish holidays. The people here are professionals in their field.
Pros
Professional employees who know what they are doing
Cons
Zero room to grow if you are NOT jewish.
It's like high school in there
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 10, 2017
They discriminate against the workers that come from the united staffing agency.. they over work you with no kind of raise. Not even a thank you. There attitude stinks!
Pros
None!
Cons
Just working there period!
Fast Pace
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2017
Helped Customers with transactions
Provided customer assistance when needed
Assisted Customers in finding the right material needed.
A typical day would be very busy.
Overall It was a learning experience, I got the chance to gain more experience operating heavy machinery.
Packing, Forklift, Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Florence, NJMay 26, 2017
I generally would start of packing, then cleaning, then unloading or loading trucks. I pretty much was a wild card, what ever the boss needed me to do from packing, to forklift, pallet jack, or picker. I received my forklift certification there. I learned how to properly load and unload trucks, how to properly pick, label, and wrap merchandise. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the disrespect and attitudes from my manager and co-workers. the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing i had a job to support my family.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
one half hour lunch break, unprofessional, rudeness
fun and interesting.
Cashier/Greeter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2017
B&H Photo was a great store that I had the privilege to work in. The manager was always on the floor making sure everything was running smoothly. The Boss would come down to the floor as well everyday to supervise the floor and his employees. One thing i learned working in B&H Photo was to keep my composure no matter who i seen or what pressure we were under, especially when famous people would come in to buy very expensive equipment's, we still had to treat them as normal people and still ask them for ID. We treated everyone all the customers equally. Yes, their was a set schedule and they didn't go around it, if you had a doctors appointment you just had to call of you couldn't start in a later time, but you get used to it. I enjoyed it we all started at the same time and finished work at the same time. Store opened & closed at the time everyday. I do wish that they was a way move from floor, more people to meet and socialize with.
Not what everyone thinks.
Cashier, trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2017
The company will propose that the employees have to work on the holidays and on the week of the holidays they hand out a paper to be consented by the employees. Even though if it is not signed because you don't not agree and was not told this upon accepting the job offer they still terminate you because of failure to show up on your rightful day off. They are inconsiderate and toy with peoples lives. There is no chance for improvement and if promoted chances are that person is likely to get fired after 2/3 weeks.
Pros
Full time employment
Cons
One 30 minute break, could not walk sales floor, could not dress the way we normally would feel comfortable.
Nicest People and Great Benefits
Full Stack Web Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2017
I work with the nicest people. They are very reasonable and respectful, especially with work/life balance. The health benefits are great, but the salary is maybe a bit lower than average for my given job / experience. We are really always trying to use the most cutting edge technologies in software development, which I appreciate.
Pros
Lots of vacation, nice people, nice health benefits, great work-life balance
Cons
salaries are a bit low
B&H is one of the best companies to work for.
Search Engine Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11213March 15, 2017
I loved working at B&H and found the company to be really appreciative of the employees. The management was great and the CEO was fantastic, really a great place to work.
a typical day at work
Customer service Greet and guide customers (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2017
i was hire by an agency so we didn't get pay the whole amount, but the hours and the amount of things to remember was not worth the pay but i manage to work with that and made a sad situation positive. i learn and gain a lot of skills from working at this job.
Pros
half of my pay check was giving to the agency
Cons
the skills i gain from the job
Better to work directly for B&H then through United Staffing Agency
Store Shelf (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2017
Not so great your pushed and constantly yelled at for a low rate pay of $9.00
It is owned by jewish people they do play the favorite role
Was hired through a staffing company called united Staffing solutions. No benefits no room to grow you get the boot over any little reason.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Managers pay & schedules
Fast paced workspace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2017
It's a really fast paced work environment, you must learn how to do things quickly or else you'll get the boot. However it is a place where you can make great friends and your coworkers respect you as much as you respect them. The customers are also great.
Pros
You get lunch and a break
Good company
Display worker (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 3, 2017
The hardest part of the job was the labor. For the most part I would be placing items on the correct display. I would also organize the items on a computer system to be labeled as inefficient, to a certain location etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&H Photo Video. Our community is ready to answer.

B&H Photo Video Reviews by Location