B&W Pantex Employee Reviews

A typical "goverment" job
Engineer 1 Maintained a "Q" Clearance (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 15, 2016
Company did not offer challenges and advancement. Too much "twittle" your thumb time and as a new engineer I was looking for a learning experience and a place to grow . They did not encouraged their employees to be the best they could be. The company did not promote community projects and did not have an active program of serving the community.
Pros
extremely tight security
Cons
Poor management
Lots of red tape and politics
Firefighter/EMT (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 9, 2016
Not a bad place to work if you don't mind a ton of red tape and politics for every single thing that has to be done. Understandably, I see the need for all the security and red tape, for the most part. But some of it makes absolutely no sense at all. The pay is excellent and the benefits are very good. However, until the clearance process is completed, most of your time is spend either sitting around in a cubicle staring at 4 walls, or following someone around doing senseless odd jobs. Occasionally, there are things to do that don't require a babysitter.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Lots of red tape, politics, extremely slow clearance process with nothing to do while waiting
Great place to start a career
Information Management Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 22, 2014
Learned quite a bit in government realm. People make working at the company fun.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Budget restraints and uncertainty
Solid place to work, too much politics and not enough people fundamentals
Director of Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 9, 2014
B&W Pantex was a great place to work when they first took over the contract in 2001. However after too many top level i.e. Plant manager changes the culture became one of "good ole boys club" Consequently the work performance suffered and many talented people left including me. B&W subsequently lost the contract as a result of poor results and ineffective management.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor work culture
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Ama. txApril 14, 2014
Average day at work
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 20, 2014
It is a good job but I have a very high level of energy an thi job requires sitting and doing repetitive paper work on physicals then it's alot of down time. So I a feeling bored and upset at my self that I am not using my nursing skills in wich I am a very good and special nurse.
Pros
weekends/holidays off, health care, pay
Cons
not using my skills, alot of down time, Supervisor doesn't communicate with nursing staff verbally
Energetic Environment
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 14, 2013
In this industry there was no such thing as a typical day as the processes completed at this location were constantly changing. After arriving at work, I would access my workload and prioritize those tasks. Begin processing procedures, when the phone rings and there is another project being sent immediately that must be processed first. On most days as a team we could make the earth move to accomplish the processing of a procedure in order to keep the Plant moving.
Pros
Fast Pace, Changing Continually and Helpful Co-workers
Cons
Unpredictable hours from time to time
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Amarillo TXJune 1, 2013
A good company to work for with over 3500 employees but with a small company atmosphere. The company has great health benefits, pension plan, and 401k. Also, encourages educational advancement by offering an Educational Assistance Program.
Procedure driven company with opportunity for growth.
Administrative Specialist V (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 10, 2013
I love my current job. I recognized my technical skills in this postition.
Productive and positive work environment.
Systems Configuration Analyst (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 15, 2013
A typical day at work consists of running work orders, checking with customers to make sure all systems are operational, and working 2-3 service center shifts throughout the week to provide customer service to our employees.

I have obtained various customer service skills while employed at Pantex. This is key in order to gain the customers confidence and trust in my work. I am able to listen and communicate effectively in order to execute the customer’s needs.

I work for a great manager who allows me to earn my respect within my department and my customers by not micromanaging my work. He allows me to take on responsibility and set my work for the day. My manager has trust in me to follow through and do my job to the best of my ability.

My co-workers are great to work with. We work very well together as a team to support our customers. I consider most of my co-workers good team-members as we rely on each other for help to be successful in supporting our plant.

The hardest part of the job is the uncertainty of what the next few months hold for me. I work as a sub-contractor to Pantex with GenQuest Inc. and we are only limited to work for 2 years at a time set by DOE and the Pantex legal department. I love where I work, but I am looking for a full time job that does not end after a period of time. This will allow me to begin planning for my future and obtain job security.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the work environment and being able to utilize my skills. I enjoy working for the CIO department and being able to interact with all of my customers and co-workers. I
  more... receive positive feedback from my customers and management which motivates me to thrive and better serve them.  less
Pros
great work environment, friendly oriented, and great relationships with my supervisor and co-workers.
Cons
contract work with no job security
Good job security
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 24, 2012
Up and down workplace with not alot of room to grow. Co-workers are great.
The most security I have ever seen on a project.
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 17, 2012
The project was out side of the major operating site so things were a little layback but high on safety.
Pros
the workers were outstanding on this project.
Cons
the sun was hot, and the wind never stopped blowing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&W Pantex. Our community is ready to answer.

B&W Pantex Reviews by Location