BEST Life and Health Insurance Company is searching for a qualified Technical Support Specialist/System Administrator for our corporate office located in Irvine, California.
POSITION TITLE: Technical Support Specialist/System Administrator
FLSA STATUS: Non Exempt
PAY RANGE: $21.00 - $24.00 hourly (depending on experience)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING:
Possess an Associates Arts Degree in a computer related technology or equivalent experience. Must have a working knowledge of SQL, Access, DB, and network technologies including TCP/IP protocols. Data Processing, Data Center Experience, Desktop and Computer Performance Tuning, Reporting Skills, Supply Management, Independence, Productivity, Confidentiality, Documentation Skills, Equipment Maintenance, Good Trouble Shooting and Problem Solving Skills.
Knowledge/familiarity with V-LAN Network protocols, LINUX not required but a plus.
Possess at least 5 years in mainframe or data center experience, desktop, computer, software and network applications.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under general supervision, provides technical guidance for directing and monitoring information systems operations. Implements machine modifications to increase the capacity of the system. Directs compilation of records and reports concerning production, machine malfunctioning and maintenance. May advise on organizational, procedural, and work-flow plans, methods, and procedures analysis. Analyzes the results of monitoring the operating system(s) and recommends changes to improve processing and utilization.
Monitors multiple systems platforms (Alpha Open VMS, HP MPE/ix, and Windows Server 2003 and 2008) to support batch processing, networking, e-mail, and overall system resource utilization, ensuring delivery of computer services enterprise-wide. Monitors and operates mainframe computer units and peripheral equipment to process data according to operating procedures. Manipulates controls on equipment such as tape/disk devices, printers, and computer control console. Performs system backup and data recovery. Observes equipment and control panels for operator messages or error indicators and report malfunctions to superior.
Performs desktop, computer, and network performance tuning, software and hardware installations and upgrades. Serves as a back-up to IT/IS Professional.
Essential functions may include but not limited to:
- Thorough knowledge of printers, computer systems, desktop and computer operations.
- Medium level working knowledge of Windows operating system.
- Medium level knowledge of mainframe job scheduling and spooling software.
- Medium working knowledge of HP MPE/ix and Open VMS operating systems and third party software.
- Moderate working knowledge of MS applications (Excel, Word, Access, Outlook).
- Very good written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to communicate professionally at all levels within and outside of the organization.
- Able to interact cordially with other employees to accomplish common tasks.
- Able to adhere to the regular work schedule, one weekend once a month and/or additional after-hours work as needed.
Employees in this position must have the ability to:
- Exert high physical effort.
- Walk and stand for considerable length of time.
- See and read a computer screen and printed matter with or without vision aids.
- Hear and understand normal speech at normal levels and on the telephone.
- Handle moderate to heavy pieces of equipment and lift up to fifty pounds.
Who is BEST Life?
BEST Life has been providing affordable medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance products to small and large employers in 39 states. Headquartered in Southern California, BEST Life is a fully-insured carrier specializing in group insurance and employee benefits.
What makes BEST Life the best?
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits and an employee assistance program
- 3 Weeks of Accrued Paid Time Off per year
- 10 company-paid holidays plus one floating holiday
- 401(k) and ROTH
- Tuition reimbursement
- Discounts on Hartville Pet Insurance, Jenny Craig, EyeMed Vision Care®, QualSight® LASIK, Avis®, Sears Commercial and HealthScreen.