Babcock & Wilcox Employee Reviews

Design Engineering
Technical Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2016
Great team work environment and it was a great experience working with such experienced co-workers, we have worked on a lot of projects together.
Company in Change
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHJuly 13, 2016
I learned a lot during my time at this firm. However, due to a decline in the coal market, significant cuts are being made.
New to this type of work
Electrical Planner/Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Welch, MNJuly 6, 2016
I enjoyed working for B&W even though there was seemingly a lot of disorganization on how things were to be done, which created some confusion.
Everyday was hectic, always fast and furious.
I learned things aren't always perfect and you just take things as they come with a good attitude and make the best of. (making lemonade out of lemons)
Most of my coworkers were very good to work with, especially my craft and craft supervisor.
The hardest part of any day was just getting the information needed from the previous shift that you needed to get your shift moving in the right direction.
Of course the best of any day was when you could look back at all that had been accomplished and accomplished safely with no injuries and on time.
Wonderful job
HR Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJune 30, 2016
Even working as a temp, it was a great place to work for my first job. The days did get long after a while but it was well worth it.
Good place to work. Old culture set in their ways.
Project Engineering (Current Employee) –  West Point, MSMarch 12, 2016
The typical day starts with reviewing night shift notes, walking the shop floor to check status of the projects, taking care of any engineering needs, preparing a projection report for Thursday meeting. Reviewing up-coming over-time, schedule and engineering needs. Holding periodic team meeting with shop supervision and hourly employees to review remaining scope and hours on current jobs, as well, as determining needs on any up-coming jobs.
Pros
Good work, life balance
Cons
Old culture work place. Needs to be more focused on productivity
Great place to work.
Bearing Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Euclid, OHJanuary 23, 2016
Was a very good, safe place to work. Honestly still kick myself for leaving. Killer benefits and fantastic pay. Strong union to back it up. Just a long drive to get to work.
Great undergrad research opportunity.
Undergrad Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of AkronSeptember 22, 2015
Really enjoyed my time as part of the research group for Babcock & Wilcox at the University of Akron. I was able to hone my skills of data analysis and experimentation which are very much needed in any technical field.
Hired to start new shipping operation
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 4, 2015
I was hired to implement a new dock operation for a company that previously used 3rd party operations. the company made parts for the military that required a lot of DOD interactions. This required a security clearance for me. Once getting things into place the actual level of work dropped drastically. One part that was shipped to the customer took 5 years to make, so there was little action through the dock on daily basis. It was very cool to see and experience the nature of what we were producing. Unfortunately not enough work for me.
Pros
The technology
Cons
lack of work
Good place
Manager (Current Employee) –  VAApril 18, 2015
Overall good place to work, especially in an area with a general lack of industry. Co workers are friendly and the environment is nice.
Pros
good pay, flexible work schedules
Cons
cutting of benefits, pension plan, etc
Tight knit group that works well together
Production Planner (Current Employee) –  Euclid, OHFebruary 23, 2015
Busy days planning 5 year projects.
Learned Project Management, Scheduling, Planning, Inventory Management.
I enjoy my co-workers, learning from them and passing along 10 years of knowledge, one of the most valuable assets to have.
Pros
fun working environment
Cons
not much room for advancement
Productive and incentives
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Euclid, OHFebruary 12, 2015
Steady work-flow, sometimes fast-paced. Great co-workers, good incentives. Viable business. Have learned how to move a variety of heavy material in a variety of weights and sizes with a fork-lift. Hardest part of the job was overcoming the fear of creating a mistake. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a reliable job for as long as I did.
Decent Place To Work
Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHJanuary 20, 2015
It's a good starter job, but depending on what department you are in, it can be very difficult to move up in the company. Often times management makes decisions that don't entirely make sense and promotions are given to people who don't deserve them.
Pros
9/80 work schedule
Cons
located in barberton, oh
Very good place to work
Machine Operator/ Crane Operator/ Helper (Former Employee) –  West Point, MSOctober 28, 2014
We would work 10 hours days and be off on Fridays unless working over-time. My co-workers and I would always work as team to help get the job done that much faster. Management was good they allowed us to work at a pace that we were comfortable with. I learned to lead and to help others. I also learn that there is no I in team. The hardest part of my job is being laid off.
Pros
10 hours shifts long weekends
Cons
working in the heat
Not Applicable
Welder (Former Employee) –  Westpoint, MSSeptember 16, 2014
Great Company-Current Lay Off after 25 years. Health Insurance deductible is costly. Otherwise, great company.
Pros
excellent company
Cons
job security
It used to be great
QAE Engineer (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHSeptember 11, 2014
Things are not like they used to be. I believe upper management has their jobs on the line and have been systematically releasing employees that stand up for what is right.
Good work place
Stud gun operator, Mill operator (Former Employee) –  West Point, MSJuly 12, 2014
I like working here. I milled end of tubes. It was one of my best jobs with good benefits.
Pros
good job
welding and rigging for an overhaul project
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 12, 2014
In this job I really enjoyed the welding and the rigging. use my hands and did a lot of blueprint reading. repaired welding and replacement of boiler area of station. used a lot of tools involved with welding like grinders, welding machines and small simple tools in the prcess of the job.
Pros
there was alot i learned from this job. and i loved that fact that it was all hands on.
Cons
the job ended
Free Fitness Center on site, safe environment
Sr. Accounts Payable Processor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 17, 2014
I have enjoyed most of my years employed by B&W. The benefits are great and the environment is safe and clean. Flexible working hours.

Lack of communication via my immediate management team is a great deterrent.
Serious productive work environment
Advisory Engineer, PhD (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHMay 2, 2014
Competent personnel.
Interesting projects.
Solid corporate culture.
Understanding management.
Week on IT side.
Pros
each other friday free.
Cons
a bit too conservative and formal.
First professional job out of college.
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 21, 2014
After graduation from college, I accepted my first job at Babcock & Wilcox. I was very fortunate to have an excellent unit manager to mentor me and I am very grateful for this experience. I had an excellent team to work with on various classified programs.

The hardest part of the job, was the many government code books I had to review and this was a very document laden position.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with a team on a variety of very technical programs. These were very challenging!
Pros
very professional environment and worked with highly educated team engineers
Cons
hours of reading code books and micro-film. very tedious work at times

4.2