Babcock & Wilcox Employee Reviews

Lack of leadership
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 29, 2017
Total lack of leadership and back stabbing management. The project managers I worked with were awesome but other management would throw you under the bus even while you were listening and it wasn't your issue.
It was a great place
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHNovember 18, 2017
someone is taking the company down the tubes.. many layoffs in the past year and many more coming because of the company losing a ton of money on bad decisions
Fast-Paced project based work
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHNovember 15, 2017
I was here for 20+ year, and it was a great place to work until 2013, when external management took over. We are based in Barberton, OH, and HQ was moved to Charlotte, NC. Once this occured, employee moral tanked!
Pros
Every other Friday off
Cons
Management Dictated from a distance
Senior Project Manager, Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHNovember 14, 2017
I was given an amazing opportunity to project manage a new initiative and was given the tools, autonomy and support to execute. The people operated with integrity and everyone was treated with high regard. Clearly people are their most important asset.
Pros
Balance in work life
Cons
No Projects coming in - Coal industry declining
Unknown future
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHNovember 12, 2017
Great people, interesting projects, challenging work, and wonderful benefits. Poor market and lack of execution on projects hurts the whole company, even the departments that performed well.
Too much work and too few people to do the work
Purchasing Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHNovember 3, 2017
Economy is poor at this point in time for this company. So people are being let go if they are older and replaced with younger people. There isn't enough work right now.
Pros
Compressed work week
Cons
Lay offs
Good Company Trying to be Great Again
SCM/Logistics (Current Employee) –  Barberton OhioOctober 30, 2017
Company is trying to get through the downturn in the Coal Power Generation industry. Doing a good job diversifying itself from coal.

Acquisitions have been well thought out and incorporations are ongoing.
Pros
Great environment, good co-workers, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Lack of cohesive information backbone - each divison is on an island
Exciting place to work
Draftsman/Layout Specialist/Designer/Checker (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHOctober 13, 2017
Start 6:30 am till 5:00 pm. 1 hr for lunch. I learned how to interact between B&W and our clients or vendors. Manage was OK. Casual dress code, no ties, jeans, tee's or flip flops. The hardest part was having to wait for info from someone else. Bring the job in under budget, a head of time and no assembly problems.
Pros
Liberal work schedule, vacation timing, every other week you had a 3 day weekend.
Cons
Some foreign companies don't reconize our holidays. Had to work a lot over the Christmas, new years.
Stressful job environment,understaffed in most areas
Manager (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHOctober 3, 2017
The company has slowly been getting worse along with the related business market. Management cuts have affect the culture that once was an enjoyable place to work. Employees are expected to work with far less than before while still meeting the requirements of the job. The executive vision is unclear and employees are unsettled with where the business is headed. Poor management all around.
Pros
Insurance and pay are fair
Cons
Suffering business
Great Place to Get Job Experience, Very Low Compensation
PROCESS / PROJECT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHSeptember 29, 2017
Relaxed and interesting day. Great place to obtain considerable and wide-ranging job experience. Management was poor. Compensation was extremely low.
Pros
Great Job Experience
Cons
Very Low Compensation
OK place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHSeptember 27, 2017
Benefits of pay and work life balance were good. No accountability means it's disorganized, inefficient but also a very relaxed environment. No desire to improve internal processes or meet customer needs/industry standards until many years too late.
Pros
9/80 work week
Cons
No accountability anywhere, lack of direction from managment, continuous reorgs and cuts
No strategy from the top leadership
Senior Manager, Global Indirect Spend (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHSeptember 23, 2017
The direction of the company is lacking. Barberton employees do not leave because they are locals and do not have many other options within the desired radius.
Contract Position
Project Manager-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Exton, PASeptember 13, 2017
I was hired for a 6 month-pen contract that ended abruptly due to lack of funding. During my short timeshare the staff and management was extremely helpful and willing to spend time to offer informal training.
Pros
Flexible, Alternate Work Schedules
Cons
Commute
Used to be great...
Cost Estimator (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHAugust 14, 2017
Good pay & like the flexible 9/80 work week. Unfortunately the company has been through many layoffs & restructurings, too many VP's & directors, mangers, etc. Not much value on the technical employees that made the business great. Used to be a great place to work...
Pros
Flexible work week
Cons
Too many layoffs
Good culture/work environment but job stability questions
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHAugust 8, 2017
Culture of collaboration and mutual respect between employees/departments.
Lower level supervisors are actively involved in daily business and project activities. In most cases, minimal micromanaging. Supervision shows concern for well-being of employees.
The company promotes social interaction among employees which leads to a better spirit of teamwork.
Much of the company business is reliant on the power industry, primarily fossil fuels. For this reason, growth has only been achieved recently through acquisitions of non-coal related businesses.
Pros
Good culture/work environment. Highly qualified engineers.
Cons
Average pay. Questionable job security.
Great Company Overall
Director, Global Networks (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2017
B&W is a good company with a lot of diversity. The 9/80 work schedule is great for work life balance, the people are good to work with. There is a lot of change all the time, this is one draw back, it seems there is to much change and therefore a lot of turnover in upper management and below.
Productive for me. You have to be self motivated.
Temporary File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHJuly 14, 2017
Once you get trained, your pretty much on your own. I really enjoyed my work. I am a go- getter. I really enjoyed helping the writers of the purchase orders.
Pros
I always had my work done on time.
No personal life, work is rarely interesting
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 14, 2017
constantly on call to travel to a site to work not allowing to make plans for a personal life without taking vacation days.
Work is often slow when arriving waiting on things out of my control.
I do not find the work very interesting because we are just there for technical advice and consulting.
The work can be interesting sometimes because some problems found in the field are interesting and require good problem solving and critical thinking.
90% Travel.
Management seems like it could be run better because many of the plant schedules are very planned. at similar times each year.
There isn't much for workplace culture because you are constantly traveling.
The hardest part of the job correctly communicating through several groups of people.
The most enjoyable part of the job is witnessing everything in action in the field.
Pros
Good Benefits, Competitive pay
Cons
Long hours, contant on call travel
A good company to work for
Boilermaker (Former Employee) –  WyomingJune 5, 2017
A good company to work. . up to date. . pays per diem. . 8hours a day often more 10+ . . good managements. . good safety managements . . cook out on weekend's
Integrity
Field Service and Commissioning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHJune 5, 2017
Working at the Babcock and Wilcox company has allowed me to understand the needs of the customers of which we serve, enable me with the tools and integrity to delivery on every project promise. but most of all this company have allowed me to grow under the mentorship of some well seasoned engineer
Pros
Every other Friday off
Cons
Very cutthroat