Back On My Feet

Back On My Feet United States Employee Reviews

Productive and Fast Pace Workplace
Program Director (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2013
Productive and fast pace workplace for self starters and career centered individuals
Great for young, upcoming ambitious type
Director (Current Employee), BoMFFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: unlimited vacation!
Cons: who has time to take a vacation?
You'll love the mission, you'll love the Members, you'll love your co-workers. But you'll work harder than you've ever worked before and don't look to headquarters to show you their appreciation--you'll need to look to the Members you help overcome homeless if you want to feel good about why you've neglected your family, friends and self to make Back on My Feet succeed.

The job offers great opportunities to advance your career in terms of the scope of work you will be able to add to your resume--but there are no real opportunities to advance within the company. The best part: the flexibility and autonomy. The worst part: that flexibility means you may find yourself working past midnight or through vacations and that autonomy means that there's no one to help you with your work load.

Would I recommend this job? Sure, as long as you have the ability to set boundaries, but even then expect that your work/life balance will be skewed FAR in favor of work. This job is a fantastic stepping stone to set you in the right direction. And there are ample opportunities to make the job your own and feel great about the impact you have on the organization and in your city and, most amazingly, in someone's life. However, I wouldn't recommend this to the person who has family obligations or is more settled in their career. It's a young company with young professionals at the helm but in a few years I suspect they'll have mastered the waves and as long as you don't get seasick you may enjoy the ride.

(P.S. The start date on this review is bogus to provide anonymity since there are only about 50 employees nationwide.)
Engaging work for a worthy cause
Director of Communications and Corporate Relations (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: working for a good cause, friendships formed with coworkers, extremely flexible work environment
Cons: compensation, health care, professional development
This fast paced, creative content creation, development, and corporate communications role was a baptism by fire and has taught me so many invaluable life and professional lessons. After close to three years in this position, I am have strong corporate ties to the Boston business community and beyond, as well as confidence in almost any situation, such as communications development, fundraising, and event management. I have led board meetings and regularly take the lead role within the organization for projects and outreach. I am responsible for every piece of written word that leaves the organization -- from messaging to brochures to social media -- and have an expertise in brand management.

I work closely with my colleagues and enjoy the solidarity of large group efforts as well as the responsibility of solo assignments. I work well under pressure and meet deliverables.

It's been an honor to devote so much of myself to Back on My Feet, but I am ready for the next move in my personal and professional growth.