Backcountry.com

Backcountry.com Employer Reviews

The worst job I've ever had.
Warehouse worker (Former Employee), West Valley, UTJuly 16, 2014
Pros: none to speak of.
Cons: bad management, poor work environment.
Worked all through one of the hottest summers on record in a windowless warehouse, the management laughs when you mention air conditioning or even added water stations (there's one). Prepare to be treated like a criminal with no job security, no room for advancement. You'll be getting plenty of time off with all the random furloughs. I trained with about eleven other people, I quit four months later and there were three of us left. This place absolutely deserves its high turnover rate; you'd have to put a gun to my head before I ever thought about working here again.
Productive and fun place to work with AWESOME PERKS
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityJune 11, 2014
Pros: free gear
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work was coming into the "office" which was more like an outdoor warehouse with rock climbing walls and such to sell awesome outdoor gear.
I learned a lot about what others around the world enjoyed to do with spare time and all the awesome fun things there are to do in this world instead of sitting inside your house watching a television.
management and co-workers were the same people everyone treated everyone with respect and your management never thought they were above you.
The hardest part of the job was not making a sell cause you knew how bad they wanted the gear and they for some reason could not get it.
The best part was hooking people up and getting them all excited to get out and explore the world.
fun, outdoorsy atmosphere,
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 22, 2014
a great company if you love the out doors, really nice people, lots of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors
Poor Leadership
Buying/Planning (Former Employee), Park City, UTFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great discounts on gear!
Cons: everything else.
Worked extensive hours, mixed goals and priorities from management and just a really bad (almost hostile) work environment.
Great people, fun environment
Web Analytics Manager (Former Employee), Park City, UTFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: pay-day friday bbq! loved the daily drive to park city through the canyons.
Backcountry gave me the opportunity to expand my experience into areas where I had interests, along with the chance to work with several teams to accomplish their goals.
Fun for a few months then its all down hill
merchandise processor (Current Employee), Christiansburg VaDecember 27, 2013
Pros: discount on gear
Cons: poor management, no regards for all employees, only 1 person a month out of 250.
Numbers, Numbers, Numbers is all this company cares about with very little to no reconition for the employees. Hardest part of this job is working yourself to death and still getting fussed at for some reason.The only good thing about this job is getting discounts on gear.Management has no clue as to what they are doing and always stressing the employees out to the max. Everyone that works here has to drink some type of stimulant (Mt Dew, Red Bull, Etc) to meet the numbers of the company.Management says they like to hear feedback from workers but often brushes it off. Moral here is very low. Interchange system doesnt work half the time but they expect workers to meet their numbers. Must be healthy and fit to work here cause no matter age, gender, height, health conditions, You are expected to the same job as everyone. Would love to see supervisors and management do mp jobs for a month and make the required numbers.
Productive workday
Merchandise Processor 1 (Current Employee), Christiansburg, VADecember 11, 2013
Pros: free lunches once a month
Cons: working 7 days a week alot or 10 hours a day.
Productive workday laid back very good discounts for the employees.
Awesome work environment
Team lead, RF (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 4, 2013
Picking and shipping next day, 2, 3, day orders. Meeting shipping goals. Problem resolution.
Fun environment
Warehouse Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTApril 25, 2013
Pros: free snacks
Cons: bad benefits
Unload trucks and summit all company material into the company data base using a computer.
Managent was not very good.
There were some hard people to work with.
Fun place to work!
Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee), Christiansburg, VAJanuary 3, 2013
I greatly enjoy working at Backcountry. The culture is fun loving and enjoyable and the benefits ROCK!
Great when I worked there but I've heard it's gone very far downhill
Gearhead (Sales and Customer Service) (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 5, 2012
Pros: unknown now.
Cons: unknown now, i've heard the upper management is making it a bad place to work
This used to be a great place to work. Great company, great management, great co-workers, great building and environment (ping pong, xbox, Foosball, snack and drink machines), good benifits, great deals on gear and probably some stuff I'm missing. I have friends and family that recently quite their jobs there, though because of a change in upper management. Apparently working there is bad enough to drive away many of their employees. I've been made aware of around 20 people that I know personally or at least met outside of work a few times that have quite because of the change. I'm sure the pay is still about the same, although it's not competitive anymore from what I've heard and the building probably still has all the amenities as when I worked there. Just a foreword. A typical day at work for me was showing up at 8:00, taking customer's requests for information on different pieces of gear that we sold and suggesting what I thought would work best for them. It was a non-commissioned based sales job for the most part, which I liked because we weren't pressured to sale at the time. The customers were all very nice because we weren't trying to upsale things we sold or pressure them into buying anything. We also had an amazing return policy so I think I only had one upset customer during my time there and he quickly calmed down when I told him I would give him what he wanted. Later on, I was allowed to work from home. I was one of the "gearheads" who worked on chat rather than phone, which I liked as well. This was where I got my first QA experience so I learned a lot about finding – more... bugs, rating bugs, tracking them and a lot more basic QA knowledge. I also learned how to mega-multi-task on a computer. We would have three chats going at once. It made for a busy but fast work day. When I was there, the management was great. Good feedback, good attitudes, good personalities etc. Most of my co-workers were great people too. With a company that big, you should expect to not mesh with a couple people here and there but overall, this company only employed people that fit the culture. I've heard that changed. The hardest part of the job was learning how to give equal time to each customer I was online with even though one customer had an easy question and another had a very hard question. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably the people I worked with, and just the job in general. I really enjoyed helping people find the gear they would enjoy the most and letting them know that if they didn't like it as much as they thought they would, they could send it back and try something else out. It was a fun job. – less

About Backcountry.com

Liberty Interactive Corp. (formerly Liberty Media Corp.) stands by your right to shop at home and online. The company┬áis focused – Read more