Baked by Melissa Employee Reviews in United States

fun workplace!
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2016
Great people to work with and great experience. The level of respect they have and treat you with is great as well. I learned more ways around the city, and also seen very different important cooperate offices meeting excellent people.
Pros
great hours, great communication
Cons
trains to different locations
easy job
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  jfk airportOctober 16, 2015
Coworkers were awesome, management was all over the place. Nothing is really hard about the job just socializing with customers and selling cupcakes that you don't even have to bake.
Pros
Transit chek
Cons
management
Busy but Great
Back of House Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York NYSeptember 15, 2015
The day is very energetic lots of friendly customers coming in and out also deliveries being made to various places in NYC.
A great place to go if you don't care about your career
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2015
An absolute joke. They need to hire someone who knows what they're doing to come in and give a reality check to all the children they have in "big people" jobs.

Not a total waste of 5 months... I got really fat eating those disgusting cupcakes which were provided, gratis, to all staff while they worked. I mean... Why not? They sat in a freezer for 5 days anyway!
Pros
Easy schedule
Cons
Salary (what salary?) non existent bonus, keeping angry employees motivated for 20 hours a week, stale cupcakes, and a half hour break and a ten hour shift. Also, no benefits or holiday/overtime to speak of for them. Fun!
Unhappy
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  Roosevelt, NYMay 29, 2015
Horrible Job! Basically can get fired for any reason. Don"t apply im warning you ahead! Been there for a year and a half and they wouldn't promote me, but promoted people who was the bosses favorite!
Productive and fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day is always fun and busy, never a dull moment and always learning something new. Management is friendly and beyond helpful, coworkers are quick studies but always excited and eager. The hardest part to job is resisting the cupcakes, they are beyond delicious and addictive. The most enjoyable and meeting new people and having returning customers, where they in turn become extended Baked By Melissa family.
Pros
growth opportunity
Cons
i haven't seen any yet
hands on with customers
counter associate (Current Employee) –  westbury nySeptember 15, 2014
very fast an up paced working environment

I've learned that just a pleasant smile and enjoy your day could change a persons mood.
Pros
didnt have to clock out for lunch
Cons
no benefits, holdiay pay
Fun Service Job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2014
I prepared customer orders, performed cashier transactions, prepared materials and cleaned. I learned patience at this job because the clientele is uniquely difficult they appear to have neither the ability to read or hear( by choice not physical ailment). In store management was relatively okay. Coworkers are young and fun; certainly the best part of the job because they get you through the day. The hardest part of the job would probably be the hours generally once I worked one weekend I ended up working every weekend.
Pros
eat while you work
Cons
short breaks, high turnover rate, scheduling
New Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Most of the employees are very unhappy. Mural is very low. The company is new so they don't have everything figured out yet. Few rewards. Lack of respect.
Bbm will suck you dry
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Applied for a part time seasonal position that never ended. Failed classes in school because work life balance did not exist. They claim there are no full time positions but they will fire everyone in your store and you'll be forced to take up empty shifts. If you accept them, corporate will pretend you did them a huge favor and tell you they appreciate it, but the minute you decide that your life means more than baked by Melissa, they're cold and unforgiving. I went to school full time, only expecting to work the 15 hours I signed up for, only for managers to give me 10 hour shifts every day, closing the store at 11:30 and getting home at nearly 2:30 in the morning to wake up and go to school the next day. They didn't care. There's no such thing as promotions, they will not promote you. They could have no shift leaders left, they will not promote you. Counters did the work for shift leaders, sometimes being harassed, put in uncomfortable situations, only to be ignored by management.

Baked by Melissa will suck you dry.
Pros
free cupcakes, cupcake art events
Cons
short breaks, bad management, a lot of hostile customers, high turnover rate, nepotism
Cool culture but really poor management
Management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
Obvious problems within management that could easily be rectified. Family owned business, so it would be difficult to move up and a lot of nepotism.
Pros
relaxed, non corporate environment
Cons
short breaks, work every holiday, poor management, high turnover
No sense of community
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2013
When you are first hired you are led to believe that it's all one big family. That changes soon. Store was slow as hell in the evenings and management still decided to extend hours after lying and saying business was fast at that time. Upper management will never get to know you. The main benefit of this job is getting to eat cupcakes. Big fat deal. They are open ALL HOLIDAYS. I felt no support from management whatsoever and was let go in a very cold manner. Made some good friends, but I don't have many nice things to say about this company. Hated every day for the last few months I was there.
Pros
free cupcakes, laid back
Cons
rude upper management, cold and disconnected, open 365 days a year, the don't care about you
Plantation
STAFF (Former Employee) –  NEW YORKAugust 16, 2013
Its like the government they take take take and give you bread crumbs while the higher ups eat good and treat you like rats they smile in your face and snitch on you behind your back . Its like being at a party no one wants you at . They will demoralize you . They feel just cause they give you a pay check they own you .
Pros
lots of work
Cons
expect so much and give so little
Productive and calm environment
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2013
Baked By Melissa's Financial District location is a very productive and calm environment. Since the area is business-based, many of our clients are day-to-day business owners, corporations and young children with a sweet tooth. Everyone who I have encountered so far has been pleasant to deal with. It is a chill place to work and definitely allows for some down-time that can be productive or completely stagnant based on your ability and dedication to working.
It was better as a part-time job ...
General Manager/ Store Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2013
-The Customers and employees were awesome and I met and made some great friends while working there.
-I learned when running a company appreciating your employees is very important.
-I was a General Manager and I felt that upper management had no clue what they were doing. They had systems that were faulty and weren't very open to ideas to fix them. They expected so much and the pay off was so little. No health benefits for hourly or salary based employees, no holiday pay, there wasn't even holiday hours. As managers we were expected to work all holidays and put in overtime but weren't paid overtime.
The owner herself was rude to her employees frequently and frequently turned down requests for raises or advancements from long-term employees. They also discriminate against prospect employees that were male or females that have children.
Pros
no benefits
Cons
too much to put down

2.8