Baked by Melissa Employee Reviews

Fast-paced, no place of company direction
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2017
It started out as a cute cupcake store but later turned out to be the most stressful job I have ever worked at. There is no straight forward company goal. They come out with a new product, expect us to master the information in a day and if we don't we get written up. A slave company if you will.
Pros
Free cupcakes, weekly pay
Cons
Small space, No overall company goal
cool
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  7th aveAugust 23, 2017
it was a cool experience, cool co-workers, easy job, met so many different kinds of people, cupcakes are pretty good, not really any cheap spots to buy food exceept dollar pizza
no training
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2017
no training. a lot of associates and managers are rude. you have to open the store early in the morning for no reason. the only fun part is eating the cupcakes for free.
Pros
eating all the cupcakes
Cons
opening super early
Stressful Environment and Poor Leadership
N/A (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
Management plays games, very clique-y, barely/no communication, no support to fulfill duties ("work with what you got" mentality), & poor compensation
Pros
Unlimited PTO
Cons
One-man-department = NO PTO
Fun workpace.
Counter Associate (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 11, 2017
This job is a great place for me to use my years of customer service experience to my community. It is a job that I can work on a team to make sales goals.
DONT bother working here! Not even worth it!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gramercy Park, NYJuly 29, 2017
My experience at Baked by Melissa was horrible. Management is terrible, only care about themselves. My manager at the Gramercry location was terrible and nasty and purposely made life difficult for me. Horrible company and the cupcakes aren't really that great to be honest. The pay sucks! Who can live off of $11 minimum wage and 15 hours a week? Really?!
Pros
nothing
Interesting and fun workplace
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 28, 2017
It is a fun place to start if its your first job, Amazing hourly pay for all positions, bad thing is there isn't any position progress if you're doing well -- there isn't any raise, work benefits if you aren't a manager ( no 401k plan), Hours are tricky to work with because it only runs as 5-6 hours a shift ( at least in JFK location) , Maximum of 20-25 hours a week .
Pros
Free cupcakes, pay rate
Cons
No benefits, Not enough hours
Productive Environment
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  7 E 14th St, New York, NY 10003July 27, 2017
A typical day at work at Baked by Melissa started at 6:00 AM. As the shift manager and key holder, I opened and closed the store every day. While working here, I learned how to be responsible, how to be punctual, and how to deal with clients. The management at this job were very professional and helped me become a better individual because they taught me how to treat others and to strive for the best. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that the staff arrived on time when they were supposed to and dealing with staff who did not want to do their jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new clients and putting a smile on the client's faces.
Pros
Meeting new people, being responsible for the upkeep of the store
Cons
Covering shifts for workers who don't show up
fun place to work.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2017
Baked by Melissa is a fun place to work for young people. Each day you get to meet people from all over the world as well as catch up with locals who are regular customers. This is a great place to get a quick sugar rush and we try our best to ensure a great customer experience. Management is great, they try their best to take care of their employees either it be with scheduling or our day to day tasks.
Pros
free sweets
Cons
pay
Pros and Cons
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2017
I loved working here. You can have as much to eat while working. The managers are very understanding and become more like friends over the period of time. If I couldn't work one day, they always found coverage for me. The work load was not bad. Uniforms were cute. We got sick time which we got to use even if we weren't sick and just decided to call out. I miss this place! Wish they would bring it to florida so I could work there.

Want to know more about Baked by Melissa?

Ask a question
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 2, 2017
Great fun workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers and eating as much cupcakes as you like. I learned to deal with different attitudes and seeing different people from all across the world.
Good place to work at
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJMarch 24, 2017
When I first started this job, it was amazing until we got a new general manager. He would put me on schedule every single day and because of him putting me on schedule everyday, I was falling behind my classes badly and so I had to quit. Nobody could cover for me because everyone's availability was very limited and he didn't want to hire one more worker. It was ridiculous with the scheduling; the job overall was amazing.
Pros
Work compensation, eat free cupcakes, easy job.
Cons
Schedule
Fun filled work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
I had a great time working for Baked by Melissa, This pay was fair but most of all the environment mad work fun and not a drag. If you're a upbeat person this is definetly a good place to work.
Pros
Free cupcakes
Cons
Short breaks
Not the best place of work because of management
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 12, 2017
My managers used threat tactics to get not only sales leads but counter associates afraid of losing their job, my manager in garden city told associates work was more important than school, she forced me to come into work sick(against food a health code standards). She was an overall tyrant who lost half her staff in 4 months.
Pros
Paid well. But overall it sucked
Cons
Short breaks or no breaks.
Creative and fun place to work
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Union Square Park, NYJanuary 24, 2017
Working at Baked by Melissa was a fun experience. As a sales lead, I did have many responsibilities. Felt as though I was more of an assistant manager. Taught me about working with food, certain rules such as changing your gloves after touching peanut butter can be vital. Overall it was a new experience, I would have stayed longer if I could have.
Pros
Unlimited free cupcakes
Cons
Closed after midnight sometimes.
nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoyed serving customers the location was great the people were nice. I would work there again. the commute was a lot but nice area.
Sales Lead
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2017
This job was a fun experience. Learned a lot about sales and how to get people to want to buy. This job also taught me to lead my team in the best ways possible.
Pros
great environment, great staff
Cons
needed more hours
sales le (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2017
the company is growing and changing RAPIDLY and you have to agree to it or they will leave you behind and with out a job. It is a nice company you get free cupcakes on shift and they pay really well.
Pros
small company
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Productive environment but poor corporate decisions
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
Baked By Melissa was a fun and great work environment because of the employees on a store level. But there is a lot of micro managing and promised promotions from corporate that you have to jump through hoops for. Easily let go and they set you up for failure.
Pros
store managers, great environment
Cons
Poor corporate office
Baked by melissa is a very fun and happy place to work for
Counter Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  59 and lexingtonNovember 15, 2016
Although i havent had the. Amount of days that i needed to be financially stable i do very quiet well enjoy Baked by melissa.
Its a fun happy place were bite sze cupcakes can enlight people moods .
Pros
Able to eat as many cupcakes as we desire
Cons
30 min breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baked by Melissa. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9