Baked by Melissa Employee Reviews

Fun filled work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
I had a great time working for Baked by Melissa, This pay was fair but most of all the environment mad work fun and not a drag. If you're a upbeat person this is definetly a good place to work.
Pros
Free cupcakes
Cons
Short breaks
Not the best place of work because of management
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 12, 2017
My managers used threat tactics to get not only sales leads but counter associates afraid of losing their job, my manager in garden city told associates work was more important than school, she forced me to come into work sick(against food a health code standards). She was an overall tyrant who lost half her staff in 4 months.
Pros
Paid well. But overall it sucked
Cons
Short breaks or no breaks.
nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoyed serving customers the location was great the people were nice. I would work there again. the commute was a lot but nice area.
Sales Lead
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2017
This job was a fun experience. Learned a lot about sales and how to get people to want to buy. This job also taught me to lead my team in the best ways possible.
Pros
great environment, great staff
Cons
needed more hours
sales le (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2017
the company is growing and changing RAPIDLY and you have to agree to it or they will leave you behind and with out a job. It is a nice company you get free cupcakes on shift and they pay really well.
Pros
small company
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Productive environment but poor corporate decisions
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
Baked By Melissa was a fun and great work environment because of the employees on a store level. But there is a lot of micro managing and promised promotions from corporate that you have to jump through hoops for. Easily let go and they set you up for failure.
Pros
store managers, great environment
Cons
Poor corporate office
Baked by melissa is a very fun and happy place to work for
Counter Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  59 and lexingtonNovember 15, 2016
Although i havent had the. Amount of days that i needed to be financially stable i do very quiet well enjoy Baked by melissa.
Its a fun happy place were bite sze cupcakes can enlight people moods .
Pros
Able to eat as many cupcakes as we desire
Cons
30 min breaks
Could be so much better.
Director of Retail and Operations (Current Employee) –  Corporate officeSeptember 14, 2016
Great product. The 4 flights of stairs you have to climb never get easy, but at least you feel like you got your working for the day.
Pros
Best Cupcakes ever!
Cons
People are constantly being fired.
A decent first or second job
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Pays pretty decently, the company is still growing so the rules change occasionally, so stay on your toes.
Not bad, decent coworkers, decent workers, good management, scarey corporate. typical stuff
It was productive working environment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New York StateJuly 15, 2016
The job had good costumer service as far as employees. A typical day at work is coming in, and getting greeting guest. Someone had to stand in the front to greet costumers with the door open. The hardest part of the job was standing outside on a very HOT day to pass out flyers. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I got recognized for my job and how nice some of my guest were.

Want to know more about Baked by Melissa?

Ask a question
Great Startup Company...Needs Work on Management
Customer Happiness Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2016
The parts about this job is the environment. Alot of the people who work there are SUPER friendly! There is free lunch almost every other day, plus a fully stocked kitchen where you can make yourself snacks and lunch. AND all the free cupcakes you want! Plus you get to try the new flavors that are being considered to sell next.

The only thing I had to complain about was the Management. When things were quite hectic, the manager would take out their frustrations on the new employees when asked questions on how to handle certain situations. So if I were you, I would brown nose, and brown nose HARD. It seems doing your job just doesn't cut it as much any more.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers when it comes to situations that even you cant fix. Like shipping issues (which happened WAY too often). They would yell and scream at you as if you are the person that handled their package.
Pros
Free Cupcakes, Free lunches, Fully Stocked Fridge to Eat From, Great Pay
Cons
Not so Great Management, Needs Work on Organization
Horrible management
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2016
Baked by Melissa started out as a wonderful and easy job, until they revealed how little they cared about their staff. They would rarely promote their workers but constantly have outside hires and request the current staff to train them for the position they themselves were not good enough to have. They constantly tried to add new responsibilities to our job description with out consulting us or discussing a raise. They expected us to stay quite about it until we fought back. They were not taking our view on the company serious when our goal was to increase to sales within our stores and reduce the amount of times the company hits there bottom line. Sooner than later I have to move on to better.
Pros
free cupcakes and 6 hour shifts
Cons
Management.
fun workplace!
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2016
Great people to work with and great experience. The level of respect they have and treat you with is great as well. I learned more ways around the city, and also seen very different important cooperate offices meeting excellent people.
Pros
great hours, great communication
Cons
trains to different locations
Fun workplace when management doesn't take anger out on us.
Counter Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2016
When I first started, my general manager stated that it was easy to move up in the company. 6 months later I'm still waiting to be set up with a district manage to interview for a position I applied for 5 months in. The same general manager is never in store but works from a company provided cell phone. Management tends to pick and choose people they want to like and dislike.
Pros
Free Cupcakes
Cons
Big brother like management, higher ups focus on things you do wrong instead of everything you do right.
easy job
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  jfk airportOctober 16, 2015
Coworkers were awesome, management was all over the place. Nothing is really hard about the job just socializing with customers and selling cupcakes that you don't even have to bake.
Pros
Transit chek
Cons
management
Busy but Great
Back of House Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York NYSeptember 15, 2015
The day is very energetic lots of friendly customers coming in and out also deliveries being made to various places in NYC.
A great place to go if you don't care about your career
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2015
An absolute joke. They need to hire someone who knows what they're doing to come in and give a reality check to all the children they have in "big people" jobs.

Not a total waste of 5 months... I got really fat eating those disgusting cupcakes which were provided, gratis, to all staff while they worked. I mean... Why not? They sat in a freezer for 5 days anyway!
Pros
Easy schedule
Cons
Salary (what salary?) non existent bonus, keeping angry employees motivated for 20 hours a week, stale cupcakes, and a half hour break and a ten hour shift. Also, no benefits or holiday/overtime to speak of for them. Fun!
Unhappy
Counter Associate (Former Employee) –  Roosevelt, NYMay 29, 2015
Horrible Job! Basically can get fired for any reason. Don"t apply im warning you ahead! Been there for a year and a half and they wouldn't promote me, but promoted people who was the bosses favorite!
Productive and fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day is always fun and busy, never a dull moment and always learning something new. Management is friendly and beyond helpful, coworkers are quick studies but always excited and eager. The hardest part to job is resisting the cupcakes, they are beyond delicious and addictive. The most enjoyable and meeting new people and having returning customers, where they in turn become extended Baked By Melissa family.
Pros
Growth Opportunity
Cons
I haven't seen any yet
hands on with customers
counter associate (Current Employee) –  westbury nySeptember 15, 2014
very fast an up paced working environment

I've learned that just a pleasant smile and enjoy your day could change a persons mood.
Pros
didnt have to clock out for lunch
Cons
no benefits, holdiay pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baked by Melissa. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3