Baker & Hostetler LLP Employee Reviews

Fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2017
A good place to work with great people and very diverse. The law firm recently celebrated our 100th Anniversary and the employees were treated with gifts throughout the year and a free day off!!
Pros
Beautiful offices with some great views of D.C.
Cons
Not any to speak of .
Excellent Place to Work
Associate - Intellectual Property/FDA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2017
A friendly, warm environment that welcomes you and bestows upon you an abundance of positive energy. Almost immediately, I found myself a part of a family that treated me with respect and drove me to be a better attorney.
Its a great place to be
User Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 6, 2017
However in Cleveland, if you're not one of the chosen few, your ability to move up is determined prior to even starting. The path for improvement, regardless of your technical knowledge is dependent on who you know rather than what you know.
Pros
great people
Cons
good ol' boy enviroment
They tolerate bad employees
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
Recurring legal secretary opening in the health law department is due to a paralegal that gets all the secretaries fired. Her attitude and unprofessionalism is tolerated by her Partner and HR.
Very compartmentalized
Intellectual Property Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 14, 2014
Each department is extremely compartmentalized, with little cross-department cooperation and no cross-training. This makes for a disjointed sensation of working in complete isolation from one's colleagues, at least until someone complains that they can't find the print job that was left on your printer for several hours.
Productive place to work
Intellectual Property Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2014
a typical day at work is all work. I have so much work from clients and Patent & Trademark office . They do a really good job in getting you time off for vacation and being with family.
Wonderful
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 27, 2013
Baker was a fantastic place to work. They treated their staff very well and really cared.
Very busy I.P. practice
Intellectual Property Secretary (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAOctober 8, 2013
Lots of room to learn, with new projects/experiences nearly every day
Pros
Wide variety of projects/assignments, no monotony
Cons
Heavy workload with little clerical support, no time to plan
Child support unit
Asbestos Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 18, 2013
A government agency that handled cases involving child support issues.
Pros
Gained experience
Cons
Very low wages
Good place to work.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2013
I worked at Baker on my move from Florida for a busy department. It was an excellent experience.
Pros
good people.
Cons
heavy work load.
Productive work environment, yet good managemnet has declined.
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80203June 3, 2012
People at Baker are very serious about their work product. There are many nice people at Baker. My co-workers have always been pleasant and will start work as soon as they arrive; I've learned different software; and the firm holds a few special events for the staff members during the year.

During the last two years, however, the administrative culture has changed, and staff is being watched like a hawk. One secretary who had worked there for only four months had been called into HR four times by her attorney. One of the reasons was that the secretary had not emptied the attorney's recyling bin, which had not been mentioned previously as a duty. HR took this criticism very seriously and the secretary was reprimanded.
Pros
people work very hard
Cons
rules too restrictive; devaluation of employees