Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews

Okay place to work
field merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 12, 2016
Too many projects beyond regular service. Hard to keep up with the amount of time given for the required work to be completed.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
too much work for allotted hours a week
Enjopyed the people I worked with.
Customized library Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILDecember 2, 2015
At the time it was a decent place to work for. The company always kept me busy and I really enjoyed that. Not very much room to grow and develope with in the company.
Great Company, flexible, friendly environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2015
Multiple deadlines with a wide variety of duties. Friendly work environment. Learned all aspects of Accounts Receivable
Hard Labor with a lot of holiday Parties
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJOctober 30, 2015
Everything's organized and things are done systematically
Very multicultural environment with everyone respecting one another
Fun holiday party time with everyone
Management knows clearly what their doing and is dedicated to their jobs
Pros
Ocasional Free Food
Cons
Hard Labor, Not for the weak people
It's a good stepping stone
Not Willing to Disclose (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GASeptember 2, 2015
Baker & Taylor is a good place to work, as long as you get a long with your team, like most places, of course.

I currently work here. I enjoy the people I work with, but not the upper management. They are afraid of conflict and are all talk, no action.

A typical day at work is hectic and stressful. As more and more responsibilities are "sorted out," to other departments they are then replaced with more areas we do not need to handle. In the beginning we were trusted. Now, with new upper management in place, we are micromanaged. The expectations are now outrageous and drone-like. If you so much step out of your area you get stared at, like you don't belong. Excuse me, while I try and go the toilet.

I learned how to successfully make lasting professional and personal relationships at this place, as we all work closely together. I will miss them when I move on to bigger and better things.

My co-workers. I adore most - others are not my favorite, but this happens everywhere. Where I work I like everyone.

The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the amount of that comes in. We cannot finish everything in time, ever. Upper management seems to think we do "Just fine," despite that they have no clue what goes on down here, while they sit behind their desks and argue about more important things than the mental and physical well being of their worker bees.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the friends I've made. We are all very close knit, and when one of us is not there their absence is felt.

Overall, it's a good place. Provided
  more... you don't care about how they run things behind the curtain...also there is asbestos in the warehouse. Good job there, guys.  less
Pros
Good co workers, company outings
Cons
Everything Else
Terrible Place to Work
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCAugust 15, 2015
The work culture here is horrible. You receive very little support from other departments. There are minimal processes in place for everyday tasks. These is unfathomable because this is not a new company. No room for advancement.
i learn play Tinnes
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 26, 2015
I learn on online fixing even machine if thye getting wrong to simple operate how.to stop or push back to operate. and email on the bad label by accounts after they have answer on email need to fixed on it so i learn fix online label.and work as a team make Faster all the order.
Pros
joint my co worker on Cafeteria if break.
Cons
learn how to deal all my co worker ether bad or good
New Experience
Cataloger (Current Employee) –  Momence, ILApril 20, 2015
I love this job but I hate the morning hours and working every weekend. I have learned a lot of patience and learned an entire new job field.
Fast paced and multitude of customers
Customer Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 2, 2015
manages portfolio of customers -- work through email
same routine
customer service is a big part of the job
celebrate birthdays, special occasions
flexible hours
get to listen to your own music while work
Pros
free parking, flexible hours
Cons
lack of communication, advancement, training
Fun and easy place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 20, 2015
I was a merchandiser for close to a year. District manager was incredibly nice and supportive, she also was a hands-on manager. Not enough hours and the pay was okay. I would work for Baker and Taylor again.
Nice place, but has flaws in many ways
CLS OPS (Current Employee) –  Commerce GANovember 8, 2014
Work at B&T is a great place, do not get me wrong; its just that you have to devote yourself to the company. But there are good benefits as well as nice people that make it more bearable to work there everyday.
But there is a catch to the workplace, best tip is, keep as much PTO as you possibly can. Because once you spend it, it takes months to bring it back up. Now the part they did not tell me at least is that when you do not make it to work on time, you get what they call an "occurrence" essentially a bad mark. Once you get 10 marks, your fired, no questions asked. That's fair, I can agree with that, but for example if you have already have 8 or 9 marks and you get sick or something happens personally, you have to show up or have PTO. If not, regardless if you have an excuse, your fired. That and the mandatory overtime, you can and will get fired for it if you don't show up for it.(or just take PTO out of your stash). But the trick is you HAVE to schedule your time off, if you just take a day off for personal reasons or get sick, yes you have PTO, but you didn't schedule it BAM!! "occurrence" mark.
But if you like your weekends, do not work here, their decisions are about as sturdy as tissue paper when it comes to saying whether or not you have to work on a Saturday, so be prepared.
The co-workers make it better, but do not trust everyone for they will stab you in the back and or do their best to make you look bad, w/o you knowing about it. Other than that, its just the higher ups flex their power because at this distribution center, they are number 1 in this department and
  more... want to keep it that way, if you hold them back, they will basically toss you aside to keep their paychecks and pride in check.

So pro-tips are:
-keep the PTO you have until you really need it
-make sure to SCHEDULE your time off, or it will count against you -do not trust everyone
-just make sure to show up on time.
-keep your head down and move along

Follow these and you should do just fine. Just don't plan on making B&T a career unless you have absolutely no life what so ever.
Pros
good pay, decent people
Cons
short breaks, long hours, dictatorship
Great workplace! Hard work pays off!!!
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  momence IlNovember 3, 2014
Baker and Taylor is a great company to work for. They listen to opinions and seem to care. Overtime is mandatory but it was clearly stated in the interview so no surprise.
Pros
referral program, benefits, pto
Excellent work experience
Sr. Oracle Developer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 29, 2014
Excellent work experience in excellent working environment.
Enjoyed working for this company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 25, 2014
Flexible hours, days, Monday thru Friday. Great pay and very little Supervision
Safe place to work but terrible compensation
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 24, 2014
Early start time for most employees, but didn't seem to be a problem as we also got to leave early.
A good amount of overtime when it was trade season but also a lot of early outs during the off season.
Management was great towards me but I have heard complaints from other departments for things like bad hours, micromanagement or just complaining about nothing.
Most of employees are women which tends to get crazy at times, it's very much like high school drama.

The best part of my job is that I knew how to do it and the entire department appreciated me for it. If something was being done wrong I knew right away and fixed it.
Pros
cafeteria, book sales, team leads and managers are supportive
Cons
pay is not competitive at all
Good CoWorkers
Systems Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GAJuly 20, 2014
Good co-workers but lacks opportunity for advancement.

Good work culture.
Great co workers,management needs improvement
Customer Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 23, 2014
Not a family oriented company as far as the vacations/sick time and medical benefits are concerned. There ia also no room for growth. No bonuses are given.
Good for once or twice a week
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Ukiah, CAJanuary 12, 2014
Good to supplement your income, 2-8 hours/ week average. Usually once a week, sometimes twice.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no travel reinbursement
productive job
Copy Cataloger 1 (Former Employee) –  CLS CatalogingNovember 5, 2013
I enjoyed my job at Baker and Taylor. I customized library records local and nationwide in a specific database tailored to the customer. I learned how to be self dependent and succeed on my own. I managed my time well and was able to make my production and go over 100% of my expected goals. I got along well with my co-workers. There was nothing hard about my job, the most enjoyable part was being able to be productive and a team player.
Pros
lunch every 90 days provided there were no work place accidents.
working and Baker & Taylor
Cataloger/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILSeptember 12, 2013
I liked cataloging but very hard to work for Baker and Taylor
Pros
when hot got free ice cream
Cons
health insurance