Baker & Taylor

Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews

Fast paced and multitude of customers
Customer Financial Representative (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free parking, flexible hours
Cons: lack of communication, advancement, training
manages portfolio of customers -- work through email
same routine
customer service is a big part of the job
celebrate birthdays, special occasions
flexible hours
get to listen to your own music while work
Fun and easy place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee), IllinoisJanuary 20, 2015
I was a merchandiser for close to a year. District manager was incredibly nice and supportive, she also was a hands-on manager. Not enough hours and the pay was okay. I would work for Baker and Taylor again.
Productive and Fun workplace
Lead Consultant (Former Employee), Bridgewater, NJJanuary 10, 2015
Productive and Fun workplace
Good management
Good work life balance
Multiple opportunities
Nice place, but has flaws in many ways
CLS OPS (Current Employee), Commerce GANovember 8, 2014
Pros: good pay, decent people
Cons: short breaks, long hours, dictatorship
Work at B&T is a great place, do not get me wrong; its just that you have to devote yourself to the company. But there are good benefits as well as nice people that make it more bearable to work there – more... everyday.
But there is a catch to the workplace, best tip is, keep as much PTO as you possibly can. Because once you spend it, it takes months to bring it back up. Now the part they did not tell me at least is that when you do not make it to work on time, you get what they call an "occurrence" essentially a bad mark. Once you get 10 marks, your fired, no questions asked. That's fair, I can agree with that, but for example if you have already have 8 or 9 marks and you get sick or something happens personally, you have to show up or have PTO. If not, regardless if you have an excuse, your fired. That and the mandatory overtime, you can and will get fired for it if you don't show up for it.(or just take PTO out of your stash). But the trick is you HAVE to schedule your time off, if you just take a day off for personal reasons or get sick, yes you have PTO, but you didn't schedule it BAM!! "occurrence" mark.
But if you like your weekends, do not work here, their decisions are about as sturdy as tissue paper when it comes to saying whether or not you have to work on a Saturday, so be prepared.
The co-workers make it better, but do not trust everyone for they will stab you in the back and or do their best to make you look bad, w/o you knowing about it. Other than that, its just the higher ups flex their power because at this distribution center, they are number 1 in this department and want to keep it that way, if you hold them back, they will basically toss you aside to keep their paychecks and pride in check.

So pro-tips are:
-keep the PTO you have until you really need it
-make sure to SCHEDULE your time off, or it will count against you -do not trust everyone
-just make sure to show up on time.
-keep your head down and move along

Follow these and you should do just fine. Just don't plan on making B&T a career unless you have absolutely no life what so ever. – less
Great workplace! Hard work pays off!!!
Warehouse (Current Employee), momence IlNovember 3, 2014
Pros: referral program, benefits, pto
Baker and Taylor is a great company to work for. They listen to opinions and seem to care. Overtime is mandatory but it was clearly stated in the interview so no surprise.
Excellent work experience
Sr. Oracle Developer (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCOctober 29, 2014
Excellent work experience in excellent working environment.
Enjoyed working for this company
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 25, 2014
Flexible hours, days, Monday thru Friday. Great pay and very little Supervision
Safe place to work but terrible compensation
Material Handler (Former Employee), Reno, NVJuly 24, 2014
Pros: cafeteria, book sales, team leads and managers are supportive
Cons: pay is not competitive at all
Early start time for most employees, but didn't seem to be a problem as we also got to leave early.
A good amount of overtime when it was trade season but also a lot of early outs during the off season. – more...
Management was great towards me but I have heard complaints from other departments for things like bad hours, micromanagement or just complaining about nothing.
Most of employees are women which tends to get crazy at times, it's very much like high school drama.

The best part of my job is that I knew how to do it and the entire department appreciated me for it. If something was being done wrong I knew right away and fixed it. – less
Good CoWorkers
Systems Support Specialist (Current Employee), Commerce, GAJuly 20, 2014
Good co-workers but lacks opportunity for advancement.

Good work culture.
Great co workers,management needs improvement
Customer Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 23, 2014
Not a family oriented company as far as the vacations/sick time and medical benefits are concerned. There ia also no room for growth. No bonuses are given.
Good for once or twice a week
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee), Ukiah, CAJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: no travel reinbursement
Good to supplement your income, 2-8 hours/ week average. Usually once a week, sometimes twice.
productive job
Copy Cataloger 1 (Former Employee), CLS CatalogingNovember 5, 2013
Pros: lunch every 90 days provided there were no work place accidents.
I enjoyed my job at Baker and Taylor. I customized library records local and nationwide in a specific database tailored to the customer. I learned how to be self dependent and succeed on my own. I managed – more... my time well and was able to make my production and go over 100% of my expected goals. I got along well with my co-workers. There was nothing hard about my job, the most enjoyable part was being able to be productive and a team player. – less
working and Baker & Taylor
Cataloger/Data Entry (Former Employee), Momence, ILSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: when hot got free ice cream
Cons: health insurance
I liked cataloging but very hard to work for Baker and Taylor
Open fun and friendly environment
Kit Matcher (Current Employee), Commerce, GAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: 3 breaks, laid back, friendly workers, great management.
Cons: certain people are not so people oriented and are out for the worst, and they are not hesitant to fire you over small things.
Open friendly work environment, with great benefits and incentives. I have learned to be more sociable and outgoing while working here, the coworkers are very accepting and genuinely care about me and my other coworkers. The hardest part of the job is memorizing the counties. The best thing I like about Baker & Taylor is the three breaks I get daily and how laid back it is.
Horrible
Order Picker/Sorter (Current Employee), Momence, ILAugust 19, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits, stay in shape
Cons: not family oriented. unexpected overtime.
Have worked both part time and full time for the company. 100% prefer part time. As a full time employee you receive benefits which are good and the pay is also good if you are willing to work hard to – more... meet incentive. The supervisors work well with their employee's in most situations. Not concerned with your life outside of the job, to them your job should be your top priority. If you enjoy working unexpected overtime you would enjoy this job. You also must enjoy being on your feet for most of the day for most jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job is breaks and clocking out at the end of the day. – less
Managemnt is Only Concerned With Themselves
IT Professional (Former Employee), ContoocookAugust 14, 2013
Pros: book sales
Cons: poor benefits; poor management
Management at my place was poor. There was no leadership. They were constantly looking over their shoulder with a CYA attitude. They did not offer the ability to think outside the box or accept offers – more... to do work that "wasn't your role."

Management doesn't seem to be held responsible by B&T for failures. Blame is allowed to be passed on.

There is no room for growth, no reward for going beyond. Only failure is recognized.

I would not recommend this company to anyone in a professional role. – less
Great place to work with hard working employees.
Web Support Customer Service (Current Employee), Lewisville, TXAugust 2, 2013
Pros: celebrating birthday parties
Cons: watching our company downsize
A typical day would be filled with responding to several customer inquires and researching issues. The management staff is professional and hard working. My co-workers are team players and respect each other. The hardest part of my job is having it move to another state. The most enjoyable part of my job is be able to work with a great group of people.
decent
Sortation (Former Employee), Momence, ILJuly 8, 2013
management is respectful. pay is ok. full and part-time workloads. jobs are pretty easy
Terrible Place to Work
Warehouse associate (Former Employee), contoocookJune 18, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
They are very unprofessional here. Not only was I not given the proper training when hired on but when I brought this up to management they didn't know what I was talking about nor did HR. If you are good – more... at your job they use you only to get rid of you and if you suck at your job they keep you on. The management is rude, most people that work in the warehouse on 2nd shift do drugs and 1st shift gossips and leaves all the work for 2nd shift to finish. The only good thing about this job is the pay for an entry level position. Stay away if at all possible! – less
I'm currently working at Baker & Taylor
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Momence, ILJune 3, 2013
I enjoy my job as a Customer Service Represenative. I answer questions or concerns for multiple library and retail accounts within the United States. Handle any issues our customer have to ensure proper transit time. I'm a team player and work well with my co-workers.

About Baker & Taylor

If you've strolled through a library recently, you likely saw a lot of Baker & Taylor (B&T) without knowing it. The #1 supplier – Read more

Baker & Taylor Salaries