Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews in United States

productive workplace but to many departments are in the warehouse
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJApril 23, 2016
My typical day at work is busy. I not only do my job but I also help my coworkers if they need it. Like this week I am covering for my coworker because she is training people from outside of work to do our cycle counting. Her job position is very busy plus I am trying to do my job as well.

I think that it is good that people should be cross trained to do other peoples job.

There are alot of good things with my company and not good things. But at least I know that I am cross trained in other departments and that I can help out.
Pros
two breaks and a lunch
Cons
not enough room in the warehouse
Great job
National Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 18, 2016
Received a lot of experience with this job. Management was friendly and the co-workers were great. They took us out once a month on the company after work to get to know us on a personal level. That was great
Pros
Cons
I relocated
Job
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJApril 16, 2016
Worked as Inventory Control Clerk. Did cycle counting and other duties pertaining in the dept. Liked working on my own with supervision and well with multi-tasking.
Pros
Job, co-workers
Cons
Inventory was challenging at times but rewarding experience
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJMarch 8, 2016
Was busy and got to learn Inventory Department. Worked well with everyone. Cycle Counting was interesting. QC was a good learning experience for future jobs.
Pros
Enjoyed my position. Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks. Time off
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasFebruary 29, 2016
Properly train employees instead of one day in the field and then you are on your own. There is not enough time for weekly visits or resets. Sometimes they do take longer and you shouldn't have to ask for extra time. The hours for part time employees is anywhere from 5-10 hours a week and pay is okay. Pay your employees based on experience instead of pocket change.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Time limit on projects, mgmt.
It a lot of walk but i enjoy the job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILFebruary 23, 2016
I believe I lost a lot of weight working this job which I love its a great exercise I read a lot of what I pick off the shelves the job was great in I love it I believe that's where a lot of young teens should start off at great experience.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
nice fun place to work
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work consists of talking to your coworker while u sort out books also its alot to learn from this place as a young adult, but in all a nice place to work.
Pros
breaks
Cons
not enough hours
Okay place to work
field merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 12, 2016
Too many projects beyond regular service. Hard to keep up with the amount of time given for the required work to be completed.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
too much work for allotted hours a week
Enjopyed the people I worked with.
Customized library Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILDecember 2, 2015
At the time it was a decent place to work for. The company always kept me busy and I really enjoyed that. Not very much room to grow and develope with in the company.
Great Company, flexible, friendly environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2015
Multiple deadlines with a wide variety of duties. Friendly work environment. Learned all aspects of Accounts Receivable
Hard Labor with a lot of holiday Parties
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJOctober 30, 2015
Everything's organized and things are done systematically
Very multicultural environment with everyone respecting one another
Fun holiday party time with everyone
Management knows clearly what their doing and is dedicated to their jobs
Pros
Ocasional Free Food
Cons
Hard Labor, Not for the weak people
It's a good stepping stone
Not Willing to Disclose (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GASeptember 2, 2015
Baker & Taylor is a good place to work, as long as you get a long with your team, like most places, of course.

I currently work here. I enjoy the people I work with, but not the upper management. They are afraid of conflict and are all talk, no action.

A typical day at work is hectic and stressful. As more and more responsibilities are "sorted out," to other departments they are then replaced with more areas we do not need to handle. In the beginning we were trusted. Now, with new upper management in place, we are micromanaged. The expectations are now outrageous and drone-like. If you so much step out of your area you get stared at, like you don't belong. Excuse me, while I try and go the toilet.

I learned how to successfully make lasting professional and personal relationships at this place, as we all work closely together. I will miss them when I move on to bigger and better things.

My co-workers. I adore most - others are not my favorite, but this happens everywhere. Where I work I like everyone.

The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the amount of that comes in. We cannot finish everything in time, ever. Upper management seems to think we do "Just fine," despite that they have no clue what goes on down here, while they sit behind their desks and argue about more important things than the mental and physical well being of their worker bees.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the friends I've made. We are all very close knit, and when one of us is not there their absence is felt.

Overall, it's a good place. Provided
  more... you don't care about how they run things behind the curtain...also there is asbestos in the warehouse. Good job there, guys.  less
Pros
Good co workers, company outings
Cons
Everything Else
Terrible Place to Work
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCAugust 15, 2015
The work culture here is horrible. You receive very little support from other departments. There are minimal processes in place for everyday tasks. These is unfathomable because this is not a new company. No room for advancement.
i learn play Tinnes
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 26, 2015
I learn on online fixing even machine if thye getting wrong to simple operate how.to stop or push back to operate. and email on the bad label by accounts after they have answer on email need to fixed on it so i learn fix online label.and work as a team make Faster all the order.
Pros
joint my co worker on Cafeteria if break.
Cons
learn how to deal all my co worker ether bad or good
New Experience
Cataloger (Current Employee) –  Momence, ILApril 20, 2015
I love this job but I hate the morning hours and working every weekend. I have learned a lot of patience and learned an entire new job field.
Fast paced and multitude of customers
Customer Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 2, 2015
manages portfolio of customers -- work through email
same routine
customer service is a big part of the job
celebrate birthdays, special occasions
flexible hours
get to listen to your own music while work
Pros
free parking, flexible hours
Cons
lack of communication, advancement, training
Fun and easy place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 20, 2015
I was a merchandiser for close to a year. District manager was incredibly nice and supportive, she also was a hands-on manager. Not enough hours and the pay was okay. I would work for Baker and Taylor again.
Nice place, but has flaws in many ways
CLS OPS (Current Employee) –  Commerce GANovember 8, 2014
Work at B&T is a great place, do not get me wrong; its just that you have to devote yourself to the company. But there are good benefits as well as nice people that make it more bearable to work there everyday.
But there is a catch to the workplace, best tip is, keep as much PTO as you possibly can. Because once you spend it, it takes months to bring it back up. Now the part they did not tell me at least is that when you do not make it to work on time, you get what they call an "occurrence" essentially a bad mark. Once you get 10 marks, your fired, no questions asked. That's fair, I can agree with that, but for example if you have already have 8 or 9 marks and you get sick or something happens personally, you have to show up or have PTO. If not, regardless if you have an excuse, your fired. That and the mandatory overtime, you can and will get fired for it if you don't show up for it.(or just take PTO out of your stash). But the trick is you HAVE to schedule your time off, if you just take a day off for personal reasons or get sick, yes you have PTO, but you didn't schedule it BAM!! "occurrence" mark.
But if you like your weekends, do not work here, their decisions are about as sturdy as tissue paper when it comes to saying whether or not you have to work on a Saturday, so be prepared.
The co-workers make it better, but do not trust everyone for they will stab you in the back and or do their best to make you look bad, w/o you knowing about it. Other than that, its just the higher ups flex their power because at this distribution center, they are number 1 in this department and
  more... want to keep it that way, if you hold them back, they will basically toss you aside to keep their paychecks and pride in check.

So pro-tips are:
-keep the PTO you have until you really need it
-make sure to SCHEDULE your time off, or it will count against you -do not trust everyone
-just make sure to show up on time.
-keep your head down and move along

Follow these and you should do just fine. Just don't plan on making B&T a career unless you have absolutely no life what so ever.
Pros
good pay, decent people
Cons
short breaks, long hours, dictatorship
Great workplace! Hard work pays off!!!
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  momence IlNovember 3, 2014
Baker and Taylor is a great company to work for. They listen to opinions and seem to care. Overtime is mandatory but it was clearly stated in the interview so no surprise.
Pros
referral program, benefits, pto
Excellent work experience
Sr. Oracle Developer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 29, 2014
Excellent work experience in excellent working environment.