Bakersfield City School District Employee Reviews

Play games do activities
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 15, 2017
It’s really fun working with the kids u can learn new stuff everyday & helping them talking to them see where there mind is try to learn them to see if they like u or not
Pros
We have to pay for our lunch
Cons
Get 30 mins break
Very difficult to move up
Creative Arts Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 5, 2017
You need to know people to get an opportunity to advance in positions. It is very difficult to move up. They are a great district but some schools are very difficult to work at.
Challenging but Rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 13, 2017
My typical day is following teacher plans and keeping the students under control. I have learned that not all students are alike. The management is demanding of a high standard for conduct without much room for error. The workplace culture is one of demanding high expectations of staff and students. The hardest part of the job is knowing what is expected without proper training. The most enjoyable part is helping students learn.
Pros
Good Pay and Good Work Hours
Cons
Not Consistent Work
Bakersfield City School District is a Good Place Work!
Classified Substitute (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 3, 2017
Bakersfield City School District is a great place to work. The company has great benefits, for full-time employees, the job comes with paid vacations, dental and medical.
Pros
Pick where you want to work as a sub, plus paid vacations and sick leave for permanent employees.
Cons
Must pass probation period for permanent 8 hour positions, No union protection for substitutes.
Productive and all about the students
Teachers Aid/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 31, 2017
Working for Bakersfield City school district is great experience, you work hand and hand with students at the schools and teach them daily living skills. Management is great they are very useful and team oriented. The hardest part of the job is that it can get stressful on when it comes down to support. I enjoy working with staff and the students everyday and knowing that I can make a difference in the students life.
good
substitute Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 4, 2017
good to work for if you like kids you can make up to 15.17 an hour which isnt bad if you like kids. if you want to be a teacher or are studying to become one then i think this would be the perfect job for you.
Pros
not a hard job
Cons
monthly pay
Competative work place
Certificated Teacher (Substitute) (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 3, 2017
This district has competitive wages and benefits. Students are low income and present a challenge. The benefits of teaching outway the inconveniences.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Students can be challenging
Fun work place
Yard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 28, 2017
I enjoyed working with the children and getting to know some of them. They will leave some type of impact in your life. You will enjoy and have so much fun outside with the kids; playing sports, board games, and hop scotch!
Substitute
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 15, 2017
I enjoyed substituting for the Bakersfield City School District. I was always called for jobs and received several long-term substitute assignments. Great place to sub if you need work.
training's were amazing
FACE (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 13, 2017
the department i was in was amazing. they had lots of new things and in motion to have parents and schools work together. the fulfillment of helping others is what lead me to this job and its also what made me happy to have it.
Making school fun
Volunteer Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 7, 2017
Getting to make leaning fun, and helping kids was amazing. I also enjoyed working with the office staff and along side administration. Working with parents, and kids in activities was fun.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
not being able to be paid
Everyday is definitely an adventure
Teacher's assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 3, 2017
It's a rewarding experience to say the least especially when you see you're hard work making a positive impact on the students.. and I also love holidays and weekends off as well
Pros
Decent schedule
Cons
Low paid
Awesome atmosphere, making a difference in students life's having a bond
Cpal "cafeteria playground activity leader" (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 28, 2017
If you love children you'll love working for them. Awesome staff and you get to enjoy the holidays with family because your off when the students are off.
Pros
Building trust with students
Cons
You work outside so when it gets hot it's sort of rough
Working as a Substitute Teacher at Bakersfield City School District
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 18, 2017
A typical day of work consists of interacting with colleagues to improve the learning environment for children in the district. It is through the system that BCSD has in place that I was able to strengthen my interpersonal communication skills with children and other colleagues. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with different children of different ages and backgrounds everyday.
Busy
SUB-CLERK (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 1, 2017
Busy day all day from phone calls to data entry, learn something new every day, lots of customer service skills from parents to district board members
Pros
The kids
Cons
Lunches
Daily Review
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 5, 2017
A typical day at work is to try to establish and distribute clear objectives to all learning activities I teach. I learn that every child is different and they all have different needs. As a teacher, I need to try different learning approaches. The most difficult part of the job is classroom management and students need to have a discipline system that not only enforces good behavior but promote effective learning. I enjoy implementing the lesson and see that student engage in the academic activiites.
Pros
Students alernating to different classes
Cons
Short lunches
Very enjoyable and looked forward to work each day
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 5, 2017
I enjoyed my teaching 7th grade students language arts and then my sixth grade students in language arts enrichment as well as becoming the girls' softball coach. My principal was a joy to work with as she was very supportive in both classroom instruction and discipline measures.
A great district to work for.
Nutrition Manager (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 22, 2017
A typical day is busy, lots of things to do. Ive learned quite a bit for the minimal time that Ive worked there. Management is encouraging and helpful. The site that I am at is close to my home and the children are very well behaved and are a joy to work with. The difficult part of the job was the ordering, but I have managed to conquer that challenge. I love the kids.
Pros
Dedication to the job will get you job advancement quickly.
Cons
Salary compensation could be better. But the benefits are amazing.
Summary
BOARD MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Understanding life as children learn and become young adults.In this I learn not to push learning on children but present learning tools in a way that the child want to use the tool to better himself or herself. I learn how to lead by exsample. in doing this there was very little to managed because the child was following a good exsample.
Every child has a way of doing things and I know where they learn these ways from, so without insalt compliment there culture teachings and present another way as a short cut to the get the same results. Then it becomes fun and challenging to the student.The hardest part to this job is to come across a parent that don't want the child to change and they don't want to change.The most important part of the job is when you begin to see children change for the better and except change.
Pros
We Can do it.
Cons
How long will it take to do it.
fun enviroment
Subsitute (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 20, 2017
love to work with kids, this is the place to be. learn lots of new skills and make new friends along the way. fast paced and fun.
Pros
lunch included
benefits