Bakersfield City School District

Bakersfield City School District Employer Reviews

Fun place to work and flexible schedule
Specially Funded Program Clerk (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: weekends off
Cons: i was paid monthly
I worked with budgets, ordering and purchasing for the title I program. I enjoyed my job very much and my supervisors and other co-workers were great team players. What I liked most about my job was the flexibility and schedule.
Rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: available to work everyday
Cons: can be hard to get the respect of students when you are a new sub
Being able to work in various classrooms, allows you to gather your own ideas and teaching perspectives.
Productive, Culture based
Aide ll (Special Education) (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJune 28, 2014
Pros: equal oppurtunity, gives everyone an oppurtunity to learn, various positive programs
Cons: overcrowded, classrooms
Productive, fun , diversity, I work with the severely disabled, students with Autism, as well as general education. students with behaviors
Good implementation of procedures.
Teacher (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAApril 20, 2014
Pros: many schools so you can transfer to different parts of town.
Cons: the district is very large and does not know staff on a personal level.
The district is large and has taken the time to have written procedures so staff know what is expected of them in most situations. The district also has good supplies available to staff.
Great workplace
RLA Teacher, Emerson Middle School (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAApril 13, 2014
Extremely fun and engaging place to work. Supportive staff and administration.
interacted with children
Substitute Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: worked with children
Cons: few hours, no health ins.
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping preschool students to enjoy their artwork.
Negative And Filled With High School Drama! Its Like A Big Soap Opera Working There
Team custodian (Former Employee), bakersfield californiaFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: not driving ur own vehice wasting gas site to site
Cons: short breaks, rude and unprofessional bosses and team leaders, if u dont suck up how the boss wants you to then u will be treated poorly.
If ur are not bringing the boss bottles of wine or lunch then dont count on being treated good. Boss has his own favorites and is very difficult to work for. Worst school district i ever worked for as a custodian. You are treated like a child and yelled and cursed at by team leaders who make ur day very unpleasant and add stress to ur workday.
A great place to to gain teaching experience, and work with great teachers.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: learning new ideas that are beneficial to the students learning experience.
Cons: no health care coverage
Daily schedule consist of 8:00 am bringing students into class. put back packs away. Roll then call students to carpet .

Morning singing learning ABC's current and total Days of the week,month,and year.

Singing to Greg and Steve Number Rock counting numbers 1 thru 10
Followed by breakfast then 8:40 take students outside for 10 min break.

8:55 Call – more... students to carpet .

9:00 Call students into group. Groups consist of 3 areas of learning with rotation every 20 min

Group 1 Fine motor skill coloring, tracing name and letters etc .

Group 2 Gross motor skills Bean Bag toss, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes etc.

Group 3 Math games counting goldfish games that consist of
counting and tracing numbers 1 thru 10.

10:00 Clean up then back to carpet . Teacher reads a story to students while lunch is being prepared.

10:30 Students are called to lunch tables by group.

11:00 Clean up and outside for recess.

11:30 End recess back to class and students are called back to carpet and educational movie is put on until 11:45

11:50 Buses arrive . Students gets their backpacks and are taken to bus

12:00 Day is over.
What I have learned is that im always learning.

I have been lucky to have worked with wonderful people that are always willing to help whatever the situation is, and work as a team .

Hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to my students when the year is over.

The most enjoyable part of teaching is watching students learn new things, and the excitement you see in accomplished whatever project they have mastered. – less
Classroom setting
Tutor, Mentor, Case manager (Current Employee), Brea, CADecember 12, 2013
- assist students and staff
- student guidance
- school campus
I enjoyed the 34 years I worked for special ed. Everyday was a challenge and you felt good at the end of the day.
Special Education Clerk IV (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: helping a parent with a special needs child.
Cons: some parents blamed the child's disability on the school system.
We worked closely on a daily basis with parents of special education students and special education teachers. We had to provide bussing for each student on our case load. Maintain the file on the cases assigned to me with updating the computer program for the State Department. I enjoyed high stress level of the office. I enjoyed the family type department.
Great company
Cafeteria Playground Supervisor (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJuly 10, 2013
Great school district with a lot of caring staff. Would work there again
Interesting and unexpected work environment.
Activity Leader (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAApril 24, 2013
My job is always unpredictable. Working with people with different backgrounds and personalities. I have not before worked with children, and working as an activity leader, has taught me patience.
Great teachers to work with a supportive staff.
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CADecember 9, 2012
Pros: after school programs, glee, chess, and oral language clubs.
Cons: bathroom locations are too far for some rooms, lunch time is a nice break but it is too short, no aides available except for special ed. classes.
+ Every Thursday is a minimum day. This is our grade level teachers meeting day. It’s an opportunity to go over the standards and the key standards required for testing. We also prepare ourselves for the following week's LA and Math. Generally it's a great way to get feedback and learn from each other through discussion and ways to implement a lesson – more... that we have been teaching. We also decide what lessons need to be covered more thoroughly. It is a great meeting too because we learned from each other and the students from each of our classrooms.
On an average day, I have the students come in and sit down and start on a standard review page independently. As they finish they bring their daily homework. Those who finish will read a book quietly while the rest finish. When done we will correct the paper and review the standard focus.
As soon our morning routine is complete we have PE. Then we move on to spelling/phonics for the week. Students’ transition will vary on the particular spelling routine for the day. Sometimes they may move toward the front of the class to be close and have a partner to share words or read them from a teacher created poster. Other times we will do some written work for the spelling, use white boards to spell the words. Usually that means that a good speller will be writing them first while the one who needs more time learning them will be reading the words and correcting them from the board. When done they will switch turns. This has been very encouraging for all my students. Those who know the spelling pattern rule better feel challenged to be the first and the other students feel good to have another chance to review the words before practicing them on the white boards.
We then have recess. Lately our yard duties have been split in Week A and Week B. So one week I have recess yard duty and the other I don't. Students know that if I don't have yard duty they may remain in the class to complete work or study their spelling words. It is a great opportunity for them to catch up and ask questions. I like the split weeks more than having to be in yard duty every single week.
When children arrive we will do some writing; usually following the genre for the quarter. I will show them an example and go over the features. We would then write a particular part that fulfills one or more of the features. There are times they will correct each other by reading their piece to a partner and partner tries to identify if the features that have been included. They will discuss and edit themselves. This requires a lot of practice, but at least haft the class can do it pretty good. During that time I usually will take some of the other students' papers and together we review and check to see if the features have been included. When done their paper is placed in their writing folder and the next day we will write another one with additional features or review the previous work.
As soon as we are done we transition to the vocabulary words for the featured story of the week and a standard skill for good reading.
Students' routines are partner share, writing sentences, discussion, and worksheet practice.
Then we transition to the reading of the selection by first listening to me reading with fluency and going over the skill (predict, clarify, ask questions, summarize, etc.). Then students practice reading and going over the skill with a partner or with me first then do a shared activity or an independent one. I then will ask for comprehension questions of the story and require them to discuss it and/or find it in the text; depending if inferred or literal questions. Non -the less, students have to have a way of proving their response. I also ask and encourage them to make their own questions regarding the selection. Children a curious and most of them formulate great questions.
After our reading period we work on math facts for multiplication/division. They have approximately 15 min. before lunch to do this practice. We use several ways. Our common form for our grade level is to fold a piece of paper twice, so as to have four sections on each side. They are to write the facts, where they last placed on the weekly fact test, eight times. This is an independent activity. Sometimes I will have them partner up and use flash cards to practice.
At lunch students line up outside quietly and have their lunch first then a short recess. Teachers for each grade level have their own time allotted and will meet in the lounge room. Sometimes we talk about our accomplishments and if anything unusual happened. Sometimes this is the best time to get a great input regarding a strategy that worked or some discipline action for a certain student that we might a share times during the school day. In any case, teachers are a great resource to produce ideas and to have a common form for teaching and disciplining. This is greatly appreciated by the students also, since they know the rules are not different from one teacher to another.
After lunch all students will line up to go class once more and our math class begins. I like to get students comfortable and allow them to take a drink of water and then sit at their seats to listen and take notes when I teach. Because it is third grade, I write the notes that I want them to have as I explain the lesson and they copy. Then we move on to practice together and finally some independent work. At the end we either turn in the independent work or we will share our answers for immediate feedback.
When math is done we move on to a SS/Science/Small group centers/music/library period, depending of which day of the week it is. This part of the day hasn't been established too formal yet, so each teacher will do what seems more appropriate for his/her class.
As far as this year goes, I teach the ELD students during the last 30 minutes of the day. So students switch classes. I then have students from all five 3rd. grade classes and all three levels of English. There is a format and curriculum already established on a day to day basis that I must follow. At the end of this class students can't leave unless they have written and done their assignment for that day. All students understand that and for those who tended to be on the slow starting time, are much quicker and starting their writing.
When all third graders are dismissed, we lined them up in two long lines. One line is for the bussed students while the second is for those who walk, are picked up, or go to the after school program.
Out of the entire day the easiest part is the morning routing. Students are more relaxed and receptive to new instruction. As the day progresses, some students become restless and more controlled is needed. Then this is when it could be the hardest part of the day. Generally with a good instruction and discipline plan that all the students know well, there is little hardship. There are days that I might be tired right after lunch and might be in need of a good rest. I then might use the microphone which is connected to four speakers on the ceiling reaching all students in the classroom quite clearly. With that I feel less effort on my part and good listening and participation among the students. I usually maintain good order with this routine. When independent work is assigned, I take a small group of students that require further teaching.
This concludes my average day.
What I enjoy the most of my work is in recognizing that I have a wonderful class who understand to a certain level why they are in school and who work hard in learning and follow all the rules well. I enjoy their interesting view points during discussion times. It always leads them to further their understanding by association.
As far as other teachers, I know that every teacher is doing their best to implement our program and feel comfortable in the school. I rarely find teachers with complaints. Most teachers are appreciated and appreciate their opportunity to work with average to lower income class students. Even that we do have many students who lack parental direction, which is part of our geographical site.
I still have to say that I have enjoyed very much learning and working for this district. There have been many curriculum changes and the district has always provided with paid classes to attend and given ample time to implement the new curriculum. Every class has been given a new Smart Board to conduct and implement the LA program. All district employees are easy to contact via phone, email, or walk-ins. Any problems a teacher might have with district policy are resolved quickly by the administration. One can feel free to communicate and get feedback quickly.
I am pleased to have worked for this district for all of these years. – less
Always busy working hard.
Clerk IV- After School Program (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 6, 2012
Pros: great benifits
Cons: long hours and not enough pay.
Making a difference One Afternoon At a Time. The hardest part of my job is when the student has to be put on a waiting list, because the program is to full. The most enjoyable part of my job is telling the parent their child has been accepted and enrolled into the After School Program.