Bakersfield City School District Employee Reviews

fun enviroment
Subsitute (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 20, 2017
love to work with kids, this is the place to be. learn lots of new skills and make new friends along the way. fast paced and fun.
Pros
lunch included
benefits
This was an awesome place worked with staff around supervising children.
Noon Aide (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 30, 2016
A typical day at work would be arriving early before school hours supervising the children while school started. During lunch hour that would supervise the children while at play and in the cafeteria. Supervised children after school while their busses arrived to take them home. When need reported to counselor and took any notes and events that required attention in regards to the children.
Pros
Interacted with children school staff.
Cons
Can be High stress levels and energy
Great company but don't get injured on the job
Aide II (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 5, 2016
Wonderful place to work then I got injured on the job. Then everything changed they are not flexible in placing you after being injured. I really was disappointed and quite shocked by their reaction to my work injury. Treatment was unfair and uncalled for.. Enough said
Pros
Pay and yearly raises
Cons
Not understanding or willing to be flexible
Fun Productive
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 30, 2016
Cleaned and Supplied Offices, Classrooms, and restrooms. Followed procedures for the proper mixing of chemical cleaners. Vacuumed, swept, and mopped flooring, emptied and disposed of all trash. Made sure the facilities were clean, and properly locked up before leaving the facility
Pros
enough hours, nice staff
Cons
no possiblity for perminate employment
Great place to work , great management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 19, 2014
From start to finish, it was all about the students. Staff, parents, and families working together to make sure each student grew both academically and socially. The management was very understanding of family life and understood life outside the school environment. For the most part, co workers got a long. There was always one or two who made getting along a bit difficult, but would put that aside when it came to our goal. The hardest part of this job was accepting student's home life. Student's didn't always have the best home life and it was hard at end of day when one must accept where your student is going. The most enjoyable part of this job was being part of the student's academic and social growth and viewing the joy of it first hand, of both the student and their families.
Pros
great health benefits and time off to be with family
Cons
not enough credit for great work from those outside of the district
Very active and growing district
Special Education Teacher (Moderate/Severe Autism) (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 26, 2016
Decent support and good district to learn and grow as a professional. There are many jobs or career positions to obtain. It is a big district and you can easily make a career from working here.
It depends of the school
Special Education Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 31, 2016
It really depends on the school you are at whether or not you have a the support you need in dealing with the children. Some schools are great. Others are frustrating.
Always busy working hard.
Clerk IV- After School Program (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 6, 2012
Making a difference One Afternoon At a Time. The hardest part of my job is when the student has to be put on a waiting list, because the program is to full. The most enjoyable part of my job is telling the parent their child has been accepted and enrolled into the After School Program.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
long hours and not enough pay.
Very productive day with a great team.
Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 22, 2015
A typical day at work will be to come in and pull out the food that has been prepped the day before and serve the students breakfast. After breakfast is served we count all leftovers and write it on the paper work to keep track. Then we get prepared for lunch and serve the students. After lunch we sanitize and clean the kitchen and go home for the day. Everyone is very helpful and up beat along with myself which brings out a healthy environment to work in.
Pros
free lunches for low income families, great work team
Cons
low hours
Benefits Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 2, 2015
This is a great place to work. Busy yet easy going. Get along with staff. Assist both staff and public. Great benefits package.
I enjoyed working with my peers.
Substitude Teachers Aide (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, Ca.January 22, 2016
I really enjoyed my co workers. I would assist the inmates in ordering canteen, I would also do payroll . Back then everything was done manually so it made things a lot harder. Working there I learned a lot of patience.
Pros
Vacation time.
Cons
It was only a temporary job.
Learn experiences
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 2, 2016
I loved working for Bakersfield city school district. I got to work with children and received experience for future employment.
Pros
Flexible hours, great staff
Cons
no cons
Awesome work environment
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 16, 2014
I enjoyed working for the company. The management was great. The most enjoyable part was working and interacting with the students. The hardest part was watching my students leave.
Pros
Always meeting new people.
Cons
Not working during the summertime.
Its all about the students
Specialist (Current Employee) –  BakersfieldMay 26, 2015
I enjoy working with the students. Building relationships is key. I learned that there is a need for the students. The students need someone to talk to without feeling judged or ashamed.
Pros
The students are awesome
Cons
Politics
Negative And Filled With High School Drama! Its Like A Big Soap Opera Working There
Team custodian (Former Employee) –  bakersfield californiaFebruary 6, 2014
If ur are not bringing the boss bottles of wine or lunch then dont count on being treated good. Boss has his own favorites and is very difficult to work for. Worst school district i ever worked for as a custodian. You are treated like a child and yelled and cursed at by team leaders who make ur day very unpleasant and add stress to ur workday.
Pros
not driving ur own vehice wasting gas site to site
Cons
short breaks, rude and unprofessional bosses and team leaders, if u dont suck up how the boss wants you to then u will be treated poorly.
Friendly, enjoyable, Fun place to work.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 2, 2015
to start my day at work I would put on my apron,hair net and go wash my hands and get ready to serve breakfast to the kids,then after serving breakfast we would get started on our daily skills (prep food). At work I learned to provide good customer service to students and staff, assist in kitchen processes, and generally ensure that students and staff have an enjoyable dining experience. My co-workers and I always work as team work helping each other. the most enjoyable part of this job is that I like to learn on how to prep food and the importance of the serving cuantities,and working with kids.
Good working environment
Transportation/School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 8, 2015
The employees are great to work with. The sense of team work is outstanding, especially when dealing the needs of the special needs children. Drivers will often go above and beyond their duty to help the children.
I enjoyed the 34 years I worked for special ed. Everyday was a challenge and you felt good at the end of the day.
Special Education Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 27, 2013
We worked closely on a daily basis with parents of special education students and special education teachers. We had to provide bussing for each student on our case load. Maintain the file on the cases assigned to me with updating the computer program for the State Department. I enjoyed high stress level of the office. I enjoyed the family type department.
Pros
Helping a parent with a special needs child.
Cons
Some parents blamed the child's disability on the school system.
Productive work day in a Bakersfield City School District School
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 23, 2015
Typical Work day: Organized, timely, and productive
Learned: Timeliness, better organization skills, How important it is to have positive communication skills.
Hardest part of job: working against time and managing behavior.
Most enjoyable part of the job: interaction with the students and seeing their success.
Pros
Valuable teaching experience for future teachers
Cons
Paid once a month
Fun productive day getting the job done
Volunteer Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 10, 2015
Excellent job experience loved every aspact of the job. Would love to work there again. Going home with a smile knowing that the job was done properly in a well professional manner.
Pros
excellent co-workers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bakersfield City School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2