BALFOUR BEATTY CONSTRUCTION Employee Reviews

Very large company that employees a lot of people
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Southport, NCJanuary 20, 2016
BB bypass around Southport will help ease the traffic congestion caused by the rapid growth in the area. They will also be building a new bridge over an area that floods easily.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Working nights
Very Good Job
Assistant Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 10, 2015
Was a great place to work. Left cause I wanted to move closer to my family in a different state. Was a very fair company to work for.
totally mismanaged by the corporate office
Empolyee (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTDecember 8, 2015
I was one of two employees that lived in the state the project was in. I was also one of the only two employees that showed up to work every day. Construction started with no PM and there wasn't one for months. If it snowed, no one showed up. Meanwhile the clock is ticking on the days left in the contract. The field had no oversight to speak of and several major mistakes were made.
Pros
I met a great boss and learned a lot
Cons
mismanaged by the corporate office
Nice professional to work with and make each day enjoyable
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
Typical day is a proactive work experience. All employees working together to make each day effective toward a goal of accomplishment.
Pros
Free training with lunch
Cons
travel in traffic to jobsites
Work hard and play hard
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 25, 2015
A typical day you go and get your coffee that's if you drink coffee if not they had coco or tea for non coffee drinkers also a variety of sodas and juice. You knew what your job description was so you did what was required of you. I love the management team always pushing you forward to new horizon. Co-works was more like family we all worked together and always willing to help when help was needed. The bottom line was no one was a failure we all succeeded. One of the best company I worked with.
Pros
Lunches Breakfast or just snacks
The people are awesome!
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 15, 2015
All the project teams I worked with were awesome people. Many of them are friends, outside of work.

An important skill I learned while working at Balfour Beatty was how to communicate with all types of personalities.
Benefits
Cons
Communication between Executives and site mangers.
Helpdesk Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 27, 2015
very fast paced busy high demand. Working with people in the field is always fun. The hardest part is not having the tools to do your job effectively.
Frustrated...
Construction Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 18, 2015
Structure is lacking. Too many young inexperienced employees. Upper management is lacking integrity and are withdrawn from field operations.
Cons
Hard working company that knows how to value employees.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 5, 2015
As a receptionist work flow varied, but overall it was satisfying to know you are a part of an internationally known company responsible for creating a majority of the buildings in your area, and beyond. I learned valuable skills such as how to communicate with interoffice relationships throughout a large corporation, and how to maintain good relationships with clients and subcontractors outside of the company. The co-workers are outstanding, encouraging people. They are extremely hard working, but also laid back in personality which makes for an incredible work environment. I highly recommend seeking employment with this company.
Pros
great company events, charitable corporation, eco-friendly company
Good people and great work environment
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 17, 2014
My day starts with working through anything that has been left in my in-box. Most urgent matters are handled then on to my daily processing of A/P invoices, subcontractor billings, review/maintain/update subcontractor certificates of insurance that have been received.
Review/maintain/update lien releases received before sub payments can be released.
Make sure all office supplies and/or equipment are in order and stocked. This helps in keeping the office moving along without any glitches.
The project team is the best part about the job. A team that knows how to balance their work with their home life keeps everyone working comfortably and efficient. Great relationships are built within a great team.
Pros
smart, sharp project team
Cons
n/a
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAAugust 11, 2014
Great place to work, awesome, friendly co-workers.The most enjoyable part of BBC is the family-oriented environment, where no one is a stranger. Management needs work, especially with simple things like basic orientation or training prior to starting and during changing roles. Communication could use work as well. Overall, I would recommend this company to any young or aspiring professional in the construction industry.
Pros
friendly environment, social events, work-life balance
Cons
management needs work, role division, lack of communication
Awesome discipline and work
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLJuly 31, 2014
I learn to audit personnel and skills so we can send the best to do certain trades, witch gives you a lot of permanent control on the personnel duties
Pros
really detail oriented on every aspect of controling the job
Cons
no time for breading
Good company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 3, 2014
A great place to work. Good Benefits and protocols. This company is big on professional training. This was very valuable and I learned a lot.
normal building in progess
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 16, 2014
nothing out of the normal everything was as a construction place would b. no free lunches or pool tables just work mon. thur sunday.
Cons
short breaks no free lunches
Lots of hard work, but satisfying
Wind Farm Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 26, 2014
I worked on a particular project that was a temporary position until it was completed; therefore, I can't speak about any other project. Great experience, but that was about it.

The pay was decent; however, the management was very poor and unorganized. We were frequently pulled from one job to another and then criticized for being behind. Management didn't seem to know what the right or left hand was doing - it was a mess.

At the end, after they had wasted so much time, energy, and the company's money, they called us all to the office and laid us off - all over a period of two to three days!

Being a temporary position, there were no benefits, so I can't speak for those. Work schedule was erratic; anywhere from 5 days a week, 8 hour days, to 7 days a week, 14+ hour days.
Pros
great experience and decent wages
Cons
unpredictable schedule and disorganized management
Great, and Fun
Clerical Intern (consulting) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 14, 2014
Filled in for the Receptionist, scanned and filed Paper for the senior VP and the CFO of the company.
Very worthy position in that I was responsible for managing the safety on site.
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJanuary 29, 2014
Great place to work. Typical day included orientation of worker, morning inspection of job site to include hazard recognition and corrections. Motivating workers regarding safety awareness. Management involvement in the safety program was ok. Co worker were very supportive of safety program. The hardest part of the job was management involvement as far as supporting the safety program. The most enjoyable part of the job was when at the end of the day, each employee went home in the same condition that they came to work.
Pros
very autonomous position in regards to managing safety.
Cons
short staffed
Senior Project Accountant
Senior Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXJanuary 21, 2014
-Great Company to work for
-A lot of training provided to enhance your career opportunities
-Culture and dynamics of this company are great
Pros
flexiable
Cons
growth
Wonderful company
AP Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 14, 2014
Learned alot!! Lots of different work to be done. Some of it is on a deadline some not. Co-workers are nice and funny. Management really understands that happy employees are productive employees. Breakfast and lunch are provided alot during the month. It was temporary so my hardest part was leaving.
Forward thinking/aggressive/IT savvy
Regional IT Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2013
Great place to work -- named consistently as DC best places to work in Fortune Magazine. A lot of information technology used for a construction firm; first many initiatives in the industry. Leadership was second to none. Excellent firm.
Pros
no micromanaging
Cons
limited growth for it personnel