Ball Corporation Employee Reviews

Ball Corporation
Chemical Process Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 3, 2017
Overall, Ball Corporation is an excellent place to work with a lot of room for advancement, excellent pay, and decent benefits. If you're a skilled worker without a family, this is the place for you. The only downside is the hours worked. You work a swing shift, 4 days on and 4 days off, alternating days and nights working 12 hours at a time. If you can ignore the OT opportunities given, your time off is excellent. There will be mandated overtime days/nights for mechanical conversions and other forms of maintenance and training. The environment varies based on your job title, but most likely it will be relatively dirty, very loud, extremely fast paced, and if machinery goes down, extremely time sensitive. During summer time, certain areas of the plant reached upwards of 110 degrees (Fans and other forms of cooling methods were provided, So they did try). Management isn't perfect, but it is better than any other manufacturing facility I have ever worked with.
Pros
Union, Compensation, Benefits, Advancement
Cons
Hours, Swing-Shift, Extreme Environment
Great Co-workers
Administrator (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaApril 2, 2017
Co-workers were very friendly and will assist me if needed. Work-life balance is challenging in competitive environment. My direct supervisor is a fantastic leader and very supportive.
Pros
Warm welcoming people
Cons
Conflicts with holiday and vacation time
Warehouse Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Dandridge, TNApril 2, 2017
Good place to work, You learn about how to make different types of cans for different companies. Job isn't really difficult at all just working swing shifts every month is different.
19 years of service.
Machine Operator Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Weirton, WVMarch 24, 2017
19 years of service. Benefits, retirement and wages are a leader in the industry.In an industry that shrinks 3% annually, they diversify in many industries world wide.
Good people and great benefits
Supervisor, Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COMarch 14, 2017
Family oriented business. The culture and history are very interesting. Company recently acquired Rexam and expanded to several new countries making Ball a global leader in the beverage, food and aerosol can industry.
extreme heat , fast pace and so loud you need ear plugs on a daily
Machine Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Monticello, INMarch 10, 2017
compensation is great but you have no life and the heat gets to over 130 in the summer . people have gotten heat stroke because they dont cool the facility accordingly to law. they do not follow hazardous waste guidlines correctly
Pros
pay
Cons
extremae heat and loud
Fun workplace with great benefits
Machinist (Former Employee) –  DeForest, WIMarch 8, 2017
Loved working there but wasn't as busy or involved as I was used to or wanted to be. I was a machinist and thought more things could have been done in house. The job was not hard and the people there are great
Pros
Catered meals every quarter
Cons
lots of bosses
The departments at headquarters did not seem to work together well.
Financial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 1, 2017
Only there seven months doing transition work since they acquired our company. They are closing the Charlotte office. Really can't rate the company as a whole.
No future. They'll shut down in a few years
Coater Operator (Former Employee) –  Weirton, WVJanuary 27, 2017
Ball run their plants until the tax breaks stop then shut down. Management is terrible. Plant managers ran jobs knowing of very unsafe work conditions. The ball Corp has been shutting down several plants over the past couple of years. Not recommended if you're looking for a long term position.
Pros
It's a job. Good start for manufacturing exp
Cons
No future Terrible management unsafe conditions
Excellent pay
Press Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 23, 2017
4x12 rotating shift and high pay were the only real pros of the job. Poor decisions by management, little to no accountability, and low morale made the job much less enjoyable than it would have otherwise been.
Pros
Four on, four off schedule. Great pay.
productive fun work place
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Reidsville, NCJanuary 23, 2017
I enjoyed working at Ball it was well organized company also safe environment rewards workers for safety goals I found that very impressive everyone got along with each other which was also a plus
Pros
free meals for safety gaols
Cons
it didn't last long for myself laid off
Plant 20 is closed
Journeyman Lithographic Press Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Weirton, WVJanuary 19, 2017
Challenging job with many variables. Learned printing skills before Ball acquired from U.S. Can. This business was not something that Ball is familiar with so there has been a revolving door of plant managers since the buyout. The people I worked with will remain friends forever.
Interrogation instead of being interviewed: Too many to interviewers
prospective employee (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 13, 2017
I had a interview with four people at the same time not a good look for a company that only pays $17.00 an hour. That's not a way to make the person being interviewed comfortable at all not friendly at all
Already Reviewed
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJanuary 2, 2017
I have provided a review of this company and my time working there already, I enjoyed the work and the environment, and the knowledge gained during my employment.
more concerned with stockholders then employees
Pressman (Former Employee) –  Weirton, WVJanuary 1, 2017
I worked for Ball for 10 years. At first it was great working for them because they were such a large company and seemed willing to put time and capital into the facility. As the years passed many of their "plans" fell through and many of the promises never came to pass. Eventually the union and local management began to but heads and not work together to find the common ground. The local management only wanted to do what they wanted without any consideration given to hourly employees. The company announced the closure of our plant at the end of year 2016 and even then they did very little to help employees. They promised help finding with job fairs and resume classes. They did have the resume classes, which I was told were of little value, and no job fairs. There were many employees who tried to transfer to other Ball facilities but were met with very little consideration. I think that was only because Ball does not like unions and does not want the union mentality in their plants. The only thing I have seen that Ball does well is close plants. They have close at least four plants before my plant, in the little time the ran our plant.
benefits
Cons
don't listen to employees ideas, don't utilize skilled workers
very fast pace
Front End Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 22, 2016
Constantly repairing and or maintenace on equipment, worked closely with a team of operators to maintain and run this monstrosity of a machine. Management was great, my co workers were fun and it was very exhausting to say the least.
Pros
401k match, good people
Cons
12hrs, layoff
Monticello going down the drain quick
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Monticello, INSeptember 28, 2016
VP has been to Monticello multiple times this year due to overall poor performance on all of the lines. Blames the management team but no action has been taken to correct it. As soon as the VP leaves management cracks down on hourly employees. High percentage of employees have low morale. Management doesn't back employees whatsoever. People in management who haven't ran machines in decades or more try to tell you how to do your job. Too concerned about cosmetics and image rather than performance, then they question why the plant is running poorly. Most of the management is made up of the slackers and brown nosers that used to work the floor. Poor and almost non existant training program for new employees and newly promoted employees. You have to keep on the supervisors to get your raises. They tell you to ask in a couple of weeks and when you do they ask why you didn't say anything sooner. A lot of do as I say not as I do going on. Management is severely inexperienced. Big smoke and mirror show, they act as if they value employee's opinions but they could care less. They could care less about your family life. I could go on and on. It's probably the worse place I've ever worked.
Pros
Decent pay but no one would work there for less and put up with what goes on in Monticello
Cons
Rotating shifts, overtime, management practices
Stay away from the Verona plant
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Verona, VASeptember 13, 2016
Currently run by a tyrant and his mini me. Micromanaging everything. No recognition for a good job but quick to jump you. In the middle of mass exodus. 4 maintenance, 9 production employees gone in 2 months, but here is the good part, we get in no hurry replace them, making others work ridiculous amounts of OT. Can't trust anyone of a higher pay grade then supervisor. They are totally clueless that they are running the people away.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Tyranny in Verona
Honesty,stability
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Rome, GASeptember 6, 2016
I would make a great team worker,in a great environment.I looked forward to a chance to show my dedication .Also the reviews from those whom shared was great..Considering the fact that hard drive to succeed gives me the most impact to be productive determine,dependable..and more...I understand benefits are provided as well as hourly wages.After reviewing my input,it would be delightful to be a team player of Ball Corporation...
Large Company that is going places
Production Control and Logistics Planner (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJune 10, 2016
Worked there for many years and learned a lot. Made a lot of life time friends.Hourly employee work 12 hour shifts; 4 on - 4 off (sometimes). 4 weeks of days, 4 weeks of nights. Working most Holidays.
Pros
Good Pay, Good People
Cons
Working nights, weekends and holidays when most of our families are off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ball Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.