Ballard Spahr LLP Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Fast Paced Office with Great Attorneys
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2017
Good place to work. There are a lot of attorneys with different work styles. The firm practices many different areas of law and if you get on with a good team you will definitely be there a long time.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
Do not be late.
Great People
Risk Management Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 13, 2017
I worked in various positions at Ballard over the course of 25 years. First as a legal secretary and then paralegal. I personally was able to advance here but some do not.
Great Philadelphia Law Firm
Conflicts & Business Intake Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2017
This is a big Philadelphia law firm where people work hard and are deadline driven to meet the needs of the firm. Most people I have encountered are professional and appreciate your hard work and getting the job done right and on-time. My only complaint is sometimes the noise level makes it difficult to concentrate or if you have to speak on the phone. The open floor plan looks nice but does not always lead to a beneficial working environment.
Pros
Preofessional hard-working people
Cons
Noise levels
Fast paced atmosphere
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MD 20814May 10, 2017
This was a fast-paced, hectic, often stressful atmosphere that was offset by the wonderful, caring employees who worked here. The atmosphere among the employees were very team oriented but the management within the Bethesda branch office could be challenging.
Pros
Wonderful people and firm management and technology were great.
Cons
The management style within the Bethesda office was sometimes challenging.
Great place to work. I am retiring from there.
Receptionist/LAA (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 30, 2017
I am good at whatever I do. Love working with good people.
I am retiring and looking for something else to do. Not ready to not work. Been here a long time and just want to try something else.
Pros
Great people
Horrible place to work
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 5, 2016
no work/life balance. Be asked stay late everyday in accounting department. Manager bossing around. Have "accounting" department meeting every week talking about nothing. Submit leaving notes to HR department and they don't listen to you at all.
Pros
good view, co-workers nice and friendly
Cons
no training, low pay
High Performance Law Firm
Litigation Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahJune 23, 2015
Ballard is a great place to work. I have fun here and love the people. I enjoy my job as a litigation paralegal. It is intense and fast-paced in the litigation department here. Everyone is always busy and working long hours.
Pros
People are wonderful here.
Cons
Cramped space.
Great firm
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 20, 2015
Great work culture, surrounded by true professionals.

Have been able to expand my work responsibilities to maintain motivation and provide increased value to the firm.
Pros
Professional growth experiences
Cons
MAYBE a good place to work if you don't work in the IT department
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaNovember 19, 2014
I chose to work at Ballard for its reputation for diversity and I was drawn to its pro-bono work. I bought into the dream that Ballard was this great place to work, but I was painfully mislead.

As a support analyst, I have worked for larger law firms, but by far, Ballard houses some of the most ornery, crass, disrespectful group of Partners for whom I have ever worked. It's disgusting how the partners drive the professional climate of the IT department. For such a small IT department, there is a comical number of managers and supervisors, so expect to be tragically micro-managed. If you sign up to be employed by the IT department, understand that it is a very cliquey environment and if they hire you but later decided they don't like you, regardless of if you do a good job or not, they will get rid of you. The directors (except for 1) are not supportive of the IT team at all. They don't advocate training or career growth. They are no more than puppets for a handful of partners who charge $$$$$$/hourly to clients but don't know how to check voicemail on a telephone or turn on a computer.

And if all of that is still appealing, you will also have to brave doing your work in an environment that is so loud and distracting it's like your desk is in the middle of an arena during a playoff game. No privacy. No quiet work environment.
Pros
Ot, proximity to downtown parks to escape to
Cons
Micro-management, no training, distracting work environment, too many managers, no respect for non-management staff
worst place I've worked
anonymous (Former Employee) –  bethesda, mdSeptember 9, 2014
Worked in the bethesda office with a tyrant for a managing partner. The turnover in this office is outrageous, yet management looks the other way. With all the turnover, it couldn't possibly be the employees ALL of the time....think about it. Management is a joke! Take my advice, don't waste your time working for this firm.
Cons
awful firm with low pay.
Director Of Enterprise Security
Director of Enterprise Security (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 30, 2014
Developed Information Security and IT Risk management programs for a 1,300-user large, multi-practice, multi-regional law firm partnership for 12 North American offices consistent with the firm's strategic plan. Introduced consultative methods and best practices to improve the maturity of a re-organized Information Systems organization.
Overworked and Underpaid
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2014
Although the overtime pay was good, I had absolutely no work/life balance at all. Long hours everyday, including weekends left me tired all of the time. The office is unorganized, many of the people were unprofessional, and management was the WORST. Never have I been so overworked and unappreciated in my entire career until I started working there. I truly enjoyed my line of work until I started at Ballard. Needless to say, I left and have never been happier. I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. If you start working there, prepare to not have a life outside of work and to be gossiped about constantly by the no-life employees there. Have a nice day! :)
Pros
Only pro is the free breakfast on Fridays
Cons
Too many to list
Records Specialist always busy
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 9, 2014
A typical day
Requesting, inputting, formatting, returning, transferring, storing and destroying of records
Quick and efficient retrieval of information for attorneys, paralegals and staff
Provide support of electronic Records Management Application: Legalkey
CFO Position
CFO Candidate (Former Employee) –  PhillyOctober 20, 2013
The posted CFO position is a joke. It gets reposted every three months and they bring in candidates just for the purpose of wasting their time. If they were more honest, they could narrow down their selection by simply saying "long hours, low pay"
Typical Day at Work
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 15, 2013
Would be make my rounds, making sure everything is going smoothly. Helping others if needed.

I have learned an immense amount since ive joined this great company in 2007. I have learned how to act in a business-like work place. How to prepare for meeting, and when and when not to speak up.

Its funny because my favorite co-worker used to sit next to me. We share all types of storys about anything in general. Since I was so young when I started he basically taught me how everything went. I'd say he took me under his wing. Now that I have my degree and he had moved on to a better more fufiling job, I think its my time.
Pros
Flexible hours, good people, beautiful views, newest equiptment, great benefits
Cons
slightly below what salary i'd ike.
One of the largest law firms in the country
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 16, 2013
A good place to work; however, the litigation attorneys in the Baltimore office are extremely "technology-phobic" which was very frustrating.
Puts little value on employees
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 21, 2012
I worked at Ballard Spahr and watched them let go 3 rounds of people. No warning.