Bally Total Fitness Employee Reviews

Learned how to be successful in the coporate world
Administrative Manager-Program Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 7, 2015
I was given the opportunity to start from entry level and wok my way into management. I learned something about every level of the corporate structure.
Pros
Comfortable uniforms
Productive work place
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CASeptember 1, 2015
Great company to work with, fast pace and always learning new things each day. All about the numbers and customer satisfaction
It "was" a good company to work for.
Purchasing Coordinator/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2015
Each day was very busy in the purchasing dept. 50 plus Po's per day. Our VP of Purchasing taught me a lot about Procurement and the helped my grow significantly as an employee. She was a great role model, manager and people person. My coworkers were like family to me. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the fast pace. But after a while staying focused and organized I became successful. I enjoyed and loved my job. All aspects of it. I wish Bally was still a running business.
Pros
Great manager. Was flexible with unexpected family issues for those of us that were parents.
Cons
It took a while to get a pay increase but I finally recieed. I was grateful.
sells and pressure
program director (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 17, 2015
A typical day at work entailed trying to sell the customers a commitment and a service we took the customers on a tour around the facility and offered personal training that wasn't affordable to many of the customers.
Fun place to work.
Group Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 17, 2015
I was with Ballys for over 12 years as an aerobics instructor and manager. It was a fun job working with very talented, exciting instructors.
Pros
Fun and exciting job.
Cons
Ballys is closed now.
Fair and Friendly
Janitor and Child Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 13, 2015
Bally Total Fitness will forever be one of the best places I've ever worked. The pay was fair and everyone seemed to get along. And the employees were able to workout and swim without having a membership. However, this place is no longer in business. I believe it was bought by L.A. Fitness.
fun workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 28, 2015
I would interact and greet every customer who would walk in to the gym. I answered the phone, took messages. I sign up people for a membership and took photo ID's for them and welcome them into the job. I worked very well with all of my coworkers. Front desk had a team and we loved it. There wasn't anything hard about my job. IT was great to wake up the next morning and look forward to going into work for me. I enjoy everything about my job. from the hours, my coworkers, and the customers.
Pros
Amazing staffing, great team to work with.
Cons
None.
Productive and fun work place
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2015
Very productive and fun work place. Definitely a high paced environment. One of the benefits was free gym and great commissions. Unfortunately that got cut due to the depression. Loved all of my co workers and most of them I still friends wit htill this day.
Fun, exciting, meeting new people
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 24, 2015
Working here was fun and meeting new friendly people and building relationships with customers that knew me by name was great too. My real only gripe about it was district managers would NEVER be satisfied. Even with a flawless record and above goal expectations, you would still be given "the talk" that things need to improve. There was no incentive to do this other than just keeping your job. Last I heard Bally Total Fitness is gone now and I can only guess them being so ruthless in demanding more from my best was they were going bankrupt and in the end they did.
Pros
Fitness, friendly people, fun atmosphere
Cons
Slave driving district managers and little compensation
Putting in hours
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Address: 945 Kings Hwy, Brooklyn, NY 11218June 15, 2015
This is more of a job for someone who has time to prospect and look for clients, this job was strictly commission based.

Typical day was, talking to gym members seeing if they needed assistance, if so provide them with a fitness plan for a set gym cost.

Co-workers are always competing with each other, essentially stealing clients.

Meeting new people was an enjoyable experience, but the job is extremely hard if you lack people skills, you have to be social and talkative for this field.
Fun and productive
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland OregonJune 12, 2015
Fast paced and yet it was a very relaxed atmosphere full of fun and the clients and employees got along great. Unfortunately they did not handle the LA Fitness Buyout well.
Pros
Prizes
Cons
Low pay.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 11, 2015
Greet all members and guest. Hire and train retail and front desk staff. Assist with payroll. Validate all contracts. Make deposits.
Fun and Enjoyable
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAJune 8, 2015
the day consisted of opening the club and interacting with customers and co-workers. We sold regular memberships which could be one club or all the local clubs or selling the ultimate membership which was a lifetime membership to any bally in the company. As the retail manager we sold athletic attire, supplements for weight loss, weight gain, energy, and just being healthy. We also sold personal home workout equipment, as well as smoothies.
Pros
meeting different types of people
Cons
pushing and being forced to sell people things they couldn't afford
Very fun and productive atmosphere
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 31, 2015
Very friendly environment with great examples of teamwork displayed. Customers were always very vocal about showing appreciation to the staff there.
Fun workplace
Receptionist/Kids Club Assistant (Former Employee) –  Villa Park, ILMay 29, 2015
Workday consisted of nothing but encouragement and fun.. my co workers were very cool, and management was always willing to work with your schedule.
Company has gone out of business
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 12, 2015
The typical work day consisted of research, design, coding and testing of new systems or enhancements to existing systems.
Provide the best customer service , deal 21, baccaarat, multi-game dealer
Blackjack Dealer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 10, 2015
This is a great casino and the employee's are some of the nicest ive met. I worked at ballys casino/paris as a dealer and enjoyed the tourist, the employee's,
Pros
positive people
Enjoyable and educating times
Childcare Attendant and Customer Service/Part Time (Former Employee) –  Villa Park, ILApril 30, 2015
I enjoyed the time I shared with the children brought into the daycare.
I loved how I absorbed a great deal of information about maintaining a healthy lifestyle from my co-workers and managers. They really expressed their love for fitness by helping others. Therefore, it inspired me to be apart of the healthcare industry.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Learned alot
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 29, 2015
Too many scams .. Supervisors and mangers were very shady and they let the under staff take the fall . not good management
productive work place always positive and upbeat
Asst. Sales General Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 14, 2015
funfilled entergetic atmosphere, awesome co-workers, positve management team whom are always helpfull. seeing new members results is the reward at hand!