Baltimore County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly work place.
Additional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pikesville, MDJune 16, 2017
Baltimore county public schools is a very great place to work. You can really go far in this company. Your always meeting great people.The student are very pleasent and happy.
Pros
Helping students to achieve there goals.
Cons
Not getting paid on days off.
productive
Custodian/Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Rosedale, MDJune 15, 2017
My opinion about my job is that it is stressful. I have learned more about different ways of stripping and waxing floors in Baltimore County Public School standards.
Cons
no free lunch, short breaks
Fast paced & very busy atmosphere
Lunch Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 15, 2017
I enjoyed working with children There were a lot of challenges with the job. Everyone is different & children are very curious & you must always be alert.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No breaks, no benefits if 30 hours or less
Great place
CDL Driver B bus driver (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJune 15, 2017
Can not beat the retirement package or benefits . And pay sick leave days and in clement weather. The health insurances is extremely the best in the county
Pros
You have the summer off if you dont want to drive for summer school
Cons
On only 19 mth employ
Baltimore County
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJune 7, 2017
Love working with the children. The pay wasn't that great. No benefits. Work conditions were fair. Hours were great; however no vacation pay. No medical benefits.
Pros
short work day
Cons
no bebefits
Typical day in BCPS
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Multiple sitesJune 3, 2017
There is no typical day in a BCPS elementary school. Much depends on the building administration and school resource personnel.
Substitute assignments and experiences vary from day-to-day and from school-to-school.
Demographics and ethnic diversity are important variables.
Pros
Most schools are well maintained.
Cons
Home-school relationships, communication at the building level could be improved as could special education services.
Great Staff
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2017
Pending on which school you work for, the experience can be very wonderful. I was lucky in that the teachers and staff at the schools in which I worked were wonderful. Students and parents were lovely as well!
N/a
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 28, 2017
I love working for BCPS! Helping students and their families find success is what makes the job worth it. I am excited to continue my career with BCPS!
Challenging but rewarding
Long Term Substitute Teacher -Math (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 21, 2017
Long term subbing in one assignment allows you to do the duties of a teacher. Good way to determine if teaching is a career for you. The negative is while you perform most of the duties of a teacher you are not treated with the respect of a teacher,
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lots of work.
Nice People - Little Pay
School Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 17, 2017
Salary for adult assistants is poor however they are expected to perform the job responsibilities of Paraeducators, instructional assistants and teachers even.
No creativity allowed in the teaching arena.
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of working with middle school students to teacher them the objectives of the curriculum provided by the county. What I learned was that the expectation in this county was to perform more from a script than instructing using your own creativity. The management only communicated with you to tell you what you were doing incorrectly and never to praise you for a job well done. The culture was rushed. Other staff members were friendly but rarely had any free time to communicate about anything other than educational matters. The hardest part of the job was getting to work on time because I lived a good distance away. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students who seemed to appreciate my being there and demonstrated improvement in their test scores due to my efforts.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Time limitations; Scripted teaching
Excellent self motivator, always ready to provide excellent customer service, always trying to keep busy
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2017
I have learned that days do not always go as you imagined or planned, but that each day can be conquered and shown its successes, each student and opportunity is a gift from God, and each student is unique and capable of success, some just need an extra push, and extra self motivation and love! I always build bonds with my management and I always show my best, and my managers recognize me, and I recognize myself. i love to work with my co-workers and challenge myself to work well with them, help guide them, and not look back, just forward. The hardest part of my job is the waiting period for the next opportunity to keep busy. My favorite part of my job is running around and finding opportunities to look for things that need to be done and/ or are often put off!
Pros
Keeping busy, and self-motivated, my management!
Cons
Not enough things to keep me occupied.
Bcps
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2017
The school system is pretty cool to work in you get holidays of with the kids who doesn't love that! Everyday is a new day in a school system you never know what that day has in store for you lol
Employee review
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 9, 2017
I was employed under the BCPS education foundation . This opportunity was a entry level clerical position . I was given valuable knowledge along with lifetime recommendation for future employment.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Six months contract
Energetic, Fun, Resourceful place to work
Administrative Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 4, 2017
Baltimore County Public Schools is a very resourceful and at times can be a challenging place to work. However, ensuring that the students that we service obtain everything that they need make it worthwhile.
great benefits poor pay and poor working environment
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  BaltimoreApril 27, 2017
Really great benefits, healthcare plan and retirement plan are the best that you can find in Maryland except Maryland state employees but poor pay and poor working environment
A lot of free time between a run and the next one
Pros
great benefits and free time
Cons
low pay compared to other similar jobs. Job is for 10 months/year only
A great environment for encouraging and teaching our next generation
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 21, 2017
I taught music to K-5 grade for 16 years. A wonderful experience among equal talented professionals. Baltimore County always strived to draw out the best in their students as they prepared for adulthood. I taught 8 classes a day and some afterschool drama programs.
Pros
watching the students grow, working with their parents to help them achievehigh goals
Cons
Not enough planning time meaning much work at home.
Friendly and supportive staff
Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2017
The school I work has a very supportive administration and friendly work environment . The students can be a challenge but still willing to learn new skills.
Enriching school environment where you can building lasting relationships with students and professionals.
Behavior Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 13, 2017
Great employer to work for, but it varies from school to school. Lots of opportunity to learn and develop with the various PD's offered. The most fulfilling part about this job is helping to guide students on the path we call life and helping them build a strong foundation.
Pros
Numerous paid holidays off.
Cons
Dealing with irate parents at times.
Solid
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 11, 2017
Working within the school system was a great experience overall. The option of working with people and, being self-sufficient was exceptional. It was a diverse atmosphere. Plenty of opportunities to advance and develop new skills within the job.
Pros
Working at your own pace