Baltimore County Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

It was rewarding.
Teacher's Assistant - Hawthorne Elementary School (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 10, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the kids, and it was a very educational, and learning experience. I enjoyed meeting with the parents, and giving them good outcome from there children.
Pros
It work around my personal life
Cons
Part time, and had know benefits.
Productive and steady work environment
Grounds Worker (Current Employee) –  Essex, MDOctober 12, 2015
Productive work environment with supportive management. Schedule allows for relevant and needed time off when taking care of family, business, and personal issues. Allows employer to grow in various work skills and work relations are pleasant.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Salary and availability for advancement
A Good Start For Educational Feild
Early Intervention Assistant (Current Employee) –  Randallstown, MDOctober 5, 2015
A fun fast paced work environment, but could offer more benefits to instructional support staff. A Great start for people that are looking for a foot in the door to a educational career.
Productive and Convenient place to work
Cafeteria Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 6, 2016
. Responsibilities included, but not limited to: Customer service, food preparation, operation of food service lines, cash handling transactions; inventory and stocking, data entry, cleansing and storage of equipment and performance of other duties as required to support efficient cafeteria operations. I enjoyed working here because at this time, I had adopted three special needs siblings and I worked here to work around their schedule. My co-workers worked well together. The hardest part was cleaning after the school year ended and the most enjoyable part was serving the kids.
Opportunities abound when working with students
PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 5, 2016
I work with students, staff and parents also community stakeholders and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the growth of my students. Encouraging parents and training stakeholders. Providing assistance to my co-workers and developing viable school-wide programs for the entire community. The most difficult part of my job was seeing a student encountering serious emotional and physical hardships. I trained in mediation so that I could explore other avenues such as Arbitrator and Conflict Resolution/Mediation Counselor .
Pros
Professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement program
Cons
No time for lunch and long work hours.
Limited review
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJune 20, 2016
Baltimore County Public Schools seem to have more resources than Baltimore City Public Schools. I worked at Woodlawn High School and found it to have one of the largest populations of students living in foster or group homes. A typical day at work was spent trying to access what the students needed to be successful and motivating hem to want to be successful. I learned that a lot of the students in the school were city students who used county addresses. Management of these students was not unlike management of students in the inner city of Baltimore. They had similar behaviors and expectations because a large number of them were refugees from Baltimore City Public schools. My co-workers were suspicious and judgmental since I am an older educator and they were often standoffish after I talked about my experiences in life. The hardest part of the job was getting the students to care about their education. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing improvement that was being made by students I had nearly given up on.
Pros
More resources
Cons
Student apathy
A typical day at work
Additional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 31, 2016
A typical day at school consist of assisting students with help in any area that's needed. I have learned how to instruct and engage students with their daily tasks. This enables students to complete their assignments. In a class of 26 students my assistance is very beneficial to them. Everyone has been more than willing to guide me whenever I don't understand how to assist students. The hardest part of the job is there is not enough hours to go in depth with certain lessons. I enjoy interacting with children.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Educations, Fun, Satisfying
Substitute Teacher/Helper (Former Employee) –  Pikesville, MDApril 29, 2015
I LOVED working within the BCPS system. Teachers where fantastic!! Students where great. Helping them learn was so satisfying to me! I worked as a One to One with special needs students. It was so great to see them learn things and develop and knowing that I was a part of that is un-explainable!
The hardest part of the job was sometimes not being able to help the student. Sometimes parents just did not want their child to be part of certain activities. Yo have to abide by their wishes.

Management, which was the principal or vice principal in all the schools I worked in where great! They all wanted input from me.

The most enjoyable part of that job was the hugs and laughter from the students!!
Pros
Hours and staff
Cons
no benifits
Baltimore County Public Schools has a great environment to work in.
Resource Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Catonsville, MDJuly 10, 2015
I have been employed by Baltimore County Public Schools for 13 years. I have enjoyed working with a diverse group of teachers, case managers, department chairs, clerical staff, guidance counselors, and administrators. The school that I am employed is a great school with a lot of dedicated employees and the students are a pleasure to teach.
Pros
Health care benefits and paid holidays are excellent.
Cons
Lunch is quick but the day goes extremely fast.
Rewarding Career
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 27, 2016
A typical day in the classroom includes greeting students and ensuring that they receive a breakfast. Then we transition into academics, and I teach the students various math skills and science/social studies through both a whole group structure and small groups. Classroom management skills are essential to maintaining an orderly environment conducive to learning.
Pros
Rewarding to work with children
Too many variables to consider
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 23, 2016
As a special education teacher, you have to wear many hats. Not each school is welcoming to habits that the teacher has gotten into in order to balance each hat. Of the five elementary schools I worked in, three of the administrations I would consider micro-managers which made going into work unpleasant. Each school had different expectations, which made for difficult transitions.
Prepared food for the students.I learned how the cafeteria works with accounting part. Management was very helpful,they explained how the system works
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills MarylandJune 10, 2015
Prepared meals for students. Learned how the cafeteria works behind the scenes. Leaned how the students accounts are handled. Being able to make sure each child received a meal.
Pros
The lunch is not the same everyday.
Cons
Substitutes are not always called back if you have not been with the long., There are no benefits for substitutes.
Contractual Position
Parent Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2015
Good job security, no room for advancement but only because my position is contractual. Friendly staff at Dundalk El. Professional Development available.
Pros
summers off, short day
Cons
no advancement or benefits
Great Atmosphere, rewarding work
STAT Teacher at Powhatan ES (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDMay 2, 2016
I love to work with children, and now that I am helping teachers become better at their craft, I love the freedom, creative control, and increased responsibility that I have. I am one of those rare people who actually loves their job.
Great workplace!
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 11, 2016
I enjoy working as a substitute teacher for Baltimore County Schools. All the staff are very helpful and friendly when problems or questions arise during the day. I love meeting new children everyday.
Progressive place to work and build a career.
School Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 10, 2016
Progressive leadership which allowed creative educators to create and improve the overall effectiveness of the BCPS system.
Was a great school to work with
Adult assistant aide for deaf children (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 28, 2016
great its a great company to work for love working with kids who are deaf.I love workling with the people as well as its given me a great deal of expierence in the school settings
Flexible
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJune 8, 2016
Flexible job to have while in the Occupational Therapy Assistant program at CCBC. I was a substitute teacher throughout NE Baltimore County.
Busy place to work bring ambition
School Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 16, 2016
Workers work very hard on various tasks and jobs provides a sense of helping a young child out in his or her path to educational succsess.
Implementing positive change for youth
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 19, 2013
A typical day as a substitute teacher is to follow the teachers plan that is laid out for the day/week. Engaging the youth in a positive way so they feel valued. What I learned from this experience is that youth who are having challenges at home have a difficult time following the school system. Although, they grow to appreciate overtime the dedication to help them improve or strengthen certain areas of their life. The staff I worked with was always supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job is seeing students sabatoge themeselves repeatedly. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the positive change that takes place in the students over time.
Pros
helping students to improve to be the best they can be
Cons
substitue teachers; no job security/benifits

Baltimore County Public Schools Reviews by Location