Baltimore Washington Medical Center Employee Reviews

Competitive Pay But Very Difficult Work Environment
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 18, 2015
Although the hospital administration was working very hard to create a safe, clinical environment, the work culture among the nurses on the family birthing center was terrible. I was terribly grieved by the constant drama and "clique-like" nature of the nurses and a few of the patient care technicians. In general, I liked the hospital and the caring nature of many of the employees on other units, but, the family birthing center has very high turnover for legitimate reasons. Lack of support amongst team members was bad enough to make many of us leave prematurely.
Pros
Good Pay and Perks, Discounted Cafeteria Food, Free Parking
Cons
Low Staff Morale, Low Standards of Care, Inconsistency in Protocols, Lack of Attention to Safety Risks
Productive place to work, career advancements
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDSeptember 3, 2015
Enjoyed the 12 hour day shift the most, most of the nurses were so helpful and easy to work with, management could have been more cooperative
Working there was a learning process. Once you'd mastered skills, you where rewarded and or advanced.
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 24, 2015
My co-workers exhibited respect and teamwork on a daily basis. Even with our diversities, we created way to keep the workflow moving at a steady pace with high productivity and declined mistakes ratings.
Pros
Educational opportunities, Advancements and Job security.
Cons
Having to relocate. I miss working with such a Awesome Management team as well as Staff
Great work environemt
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 18, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience here. I was able to feel good about keeping everyone safe while enjoying the company of the general public population.
friendly atmosphere
Lactation Consultant, Part-time (Current Employee) –  Pascal Womens' CenterAugust 11, 2015
I enjoy working at BWMC. The people are nice. My supervisor and manager are easy to work with. My co-workers are willing to help each other so that the patients are well taken care of.
Great Staff and amazing management.
Administrative Technician (Current Employee) –  Glen BurnieJuly 26, 2015
Great place to work regardless of age. The atmosphere is warm and the staff is amazing. It really becomes like a second home for you and everyone is like family
You meet great people
Assist patients (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie MarylandJuly 9, 2015
Baltimore washington is a very nice place to be seen, the patients are wonderful and so are some of the employees. The hardest part of the job is when someone expires
Cons
no teamwork
Good place to learn different things
Patient Care Technician lll/Monitor Tech (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMay 29, 2015
It is a great place to learn different things. Like chest tubes, trachs, different health conditions. The management can be approved on, I couldn't ask for better co-workers.
Great people to work with.
Charge Integrity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDMay 18, 2015
The work life is a blessing to have. The co-workers are enjoyable and for the most of it is a good place to work. Have new interim management team who will eventually select a new management team soon. Upward mobility is hard when everyone's positions are filled and no-one is moving upward.
Pros
Health care is good
Cons
Wish they had better pay for those with degrees.
Productive work place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDApril 29, 2015
BWMC is a wonderful place to work at, typical day at work is busy and fast paced. My co workers are always willing to help when I ask.
pct 3
Patient Care Technician III (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDApril 1, 2015
learned a lot of techniques and skills in this hospital. whatever you do, don't try to make "besties" there. People will try to get you fired .
Room for Growth
Food Service Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MarylandMarch 23, 2015
Enjoyed my time here! Definite room for growth within departments! Enjoyed my co-workers and my managers were great with listening and production
No budget for the lab
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 16, 2015
The lab staff and lab management are great but hospital management keeps trying to make the lab do more with less. Many shifts are understaffed and they end up having lots of OT instead of hiring new FTEs. Excellent equipment for the most part, with newer analyzers and competent senior techs who are good at training newcomers.
Busy Environment
Patient Care Technician III (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 9, 2015
Great hospital, although leaves little room for advancement and little room for the opportunity to transfer to different departments. Very hectic but this hospital has some of the best RN's. Management is lacking effective communication strategies.
Plenty of work
Charge Integrity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJanuary 29, 2015
The work load is present and will fill the day. I have learned the EPIC system and has been a good learning experience. Management are good people and mean well. Co-workers are a good group of people.The hardest part of the job is my commute. Having the ability to laugh and smile with your co-workers makes the day go by much easier.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low paying
Registered Nurse-Critical Care (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDDecember 5, 2014
I've worked at different hospitals in the area and this one is by far the best. There is definitely a good culture with teamwork. I'd recommend this place to anyone.
No a very good place to work
Registered Nurse, JET RN (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDOctober 2, 2014
Work load can be too much at times and if you make a mistake then you will be fired. TYhey have been firing a lot of people lately
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no break bad pay
productive work place
Admitting officer (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDSeptember 24, 2014
I enjoy my time working here, I just believe that with the schooling that I am working on completing I want a position more patient involved where I work closer with them to gain more experience
Pros
drug representitives would bring a free lunch every so often
Cons
due to lack of coverage sometimes not able to take breaks til very late in the day
eh
Central Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDSeptember 19, 2014
The people there are just unbelievable. Not really much to say.
Long Time current employee
Current Full Time Employee- Title Withheld (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDSeptember 19, 2014
The culture had radically changed since University of Maryland took over years ago. They fired all the FEMALE nurse recruiters and ran the FEMALE Director of Human Resources out of there after 42 years of her faithful service. An all male staff was sent into run the place. Needless to say, they are your typical garden variety idiots. They are in bed with management and the only consistent thing you can count on is them sticking together! The pay is below average and the patient to nurse ratios are downright unsafe no matter what unit you work for. Management is deaf, insensitive, and cold to your concerns. Too cheap to pay for a motel room or meals when you go to these joke of seminars and conventions they PRESSURE you to go to. They only care about MONEY...that's the bottom line. The higher you go in management, the dumber they are and the NASTIER they are. If you complain about the incompetent management they have there they will ignore what you say. Some of the management does not even use proper grammar. The place is literally FILTHY from top to bottom. The housekeeping staff should be fired. I have been in public restrooms in gas stations on I95 cleaner than this hospital. If you do not mind working in a roach infested , uncaring, unsafe environment then this is the place for you. Trash all over the parking lot. The visitors garage is so FILTHY it should be condemmed by the health department. The cafeteria food is tasteless, dried out and expensive. The cafĂ© workers have attitudes! NOBODY IS HAPPY WITH THEIR JOBS HERE! I am going to do like everyone else with sense and  more... getout of here!  less
Pros
free parking- the garage has collapsed, and it leaks miserably.
Cons
lousy management, lousy hr department, inferior pay, filthy place