Baltimore Washington Medical Center Employee Reviews

productive, professional place to work
Client Services Representative- Greet (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDFebruary 15, 2017
Unit Secretary - Make, maintain charts, transcribe doctor's orders (for up to 27 patients), answer multi-line phone system, as well as 2 independent phones on station, answer patient call lights, greet/direct patients' relatives, order labs, tests, procedures via computer (windows application) maintain floor inventory, update medicine sheets, complete end of day acuities, file charts, communicate -all concerns between doctors, nurses and aides, print labels, reports, dis-mantle charts and send to patient records, arrange for ambulance pick-up of patients, prepare paperwork for ambulance companies and nursing homes for the return of patients to their home or home facility
hardest part of job was seeing people and their families in pain, physical and emotional
most enjoyable part of the job, feeling that you helped others get through a rough, difficult time
Pros
feeling of purpose
great and fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDOctober 29, 2016
I enjoyed working at huntleigh it was my very first job when I graduated from highschool. My co workers were awesome we always got along great the passengers were really fun it was good to talk to them. The only thing I didn't like was the fact my boss made his mom the manager and she was really nasty
Competitive Pay But Very Difficult Work Environment
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 18, 2015
Although the hospital administration was working very hard to create a safe, clinical environment, the work culture among the nurses on the family birthing center was terrible. I was terribly grieved by the constant drama and "clique-like" nature of the nurses and a few of the patient care technicians. In general, I liked the hospital and the caring nature of many of the employees on other units, but, the family birthing center has very high turnover for legitimate reasons. Lack of support amongst team members was bad enough to make many of us leave prematurely.
Pros
Good Pay and Perks, Discounted Cafeteria Food, Free Parking
Cons
Low Staff Morale, Low Standards of Care, Inconsistency in Protocols, Lack of Attention to Safety Risks
Overall a nice place to work for
Tracking HIM Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 27, 2015
I love the family atmosphere of this hospital, the location is awesome between DC, Baltimore and Annapolis. This is a great place to start your career as an entry level but after awhile of getting promotions you will hit the ceiling where there is no more room for advancement
Pros
location, great learning experience
Cons
currently no room for advancement
Working there was a learning process. Once you'd mastered skills, you where rewarded and or advanced.
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 24, 2015
My co-workers exhibited respect and teamwork on a daily basis. Even with our diversities, we created way to keep the workflow moving at a steady pace with high productivity and declined mistakes ratings.
Pros
Educational opportunities, Advancements and Job security.
Cons
Having to relocate. I miss working with such a Awesome Management team as well as Staff
Great people to work with.
Charge Integrity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDMay 18, 2015
The work life is a blessing to have. The co-workers are enjoyable and for the most of it is a good place to work. Have new interim management team who will eventually select a new management team soon. Upward mobility is hard when everyone's positions are filled and no-one is moving upward.
Pros
Health care is good
Cons
Wish they had better pay for those with degrees.
Better parking
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 28, 2014
Billing for all insurance carriers. Answered phones and took messages for co-workers. Helped with mail to be disbursed to employees working that insurance carrier. Learned more about my job and hope to get even better. I'm very close with most of my co-workers very easy to get along with when the computers were down trying to find something to do when all work was on the computer. When we went to class to learn something new about the computer system or about insurance carriers. Had a good management team.
Pros
Try to learn something new every day.
Cons
Better insurance
Newest and updated technology always expanding and looking for ways to improve and add on to make it a more conveinent community hospital
Licensed Practical Nurse & Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 20, 2014
My first place I started out of school my unit manager took me under her wing and let me know what the real world of Nursing was like very different from school. Great staff to work with, team players, flexible and good communication among different departments. Excellent benefits and a lot of great incentives. Fun place to work. Doctors there are the nicest and most friendly.
Busy
Document imaging (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDJuly 12, 2012
A typical day at work would be just sitting in my work space with stacks of patients files/ medical records on my desk. I would prep ACC, IVT, LAB, CACF, RAD,etc. What I learned at Baltimore Washington Medical Center was detail, how to be accurate and finish work in a timely manner. Management did not know too much, so I asked help from other co-workers that were their for many years and everyone was helpful and kind. The hardest part of my job was scanning a thick chart on a scanner that was small an old. Last but not least I enjoyed the conversations with many of my co-workers and working together.
Pros
co-workers always helping, the cafe, great attitudes
Cons
sitting for 8 hrs.
You're either in the loop or you're not
patient care tech (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 3, 2013
If you are anyone under a nurse you are looked down on , especially by the RNs. If you aren't one of the original groups you wont have support or help. This hospital is clickish like high school. Racism is still alive at this hospital. People can speak to you any way but you will get wrote up even if you don't say anything back, so keep your mouth shut. They pay less the other hospitals and justify it by saying "you get free parking ".
Cons
the day i took the job!
BWMC is a great workplace I'm just looking to branch out and see what else is out there.
Diet Aide (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDApril 26, 2012
My day starts at 5:30am I print and label all menus to be given out to patients. I also tally all items for lunch and dinner. In between sending out menus and recieving them I answer phones, send & recieve faxes. I've learned how to be very patient and multi task and how to work in a fast paced enviroment. Managment could be a little more understanding but overall not too bad. I would say the hardest part of my job is just pacing myself, I tend to not want to stop till Im done everything which leaves me with extra time. I enjoy just knowing Im making someones day all that better and the stay for them a little more comfortable.
Pros
taught me alot, keeps me focused
Cons
hours
Will always be a highlight in my professional career.
Human Resources Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDApril 13, 2012
A place I will look back on with great fondness where I learned something every single day. I loved recruiting great nurses and ancillary staff to take care of our patients and I was honored to do just that. My Director who is now retired was simply awesome. She displayed a lot of faith and trust which made me want to always go above and beyond for her and the hospital.
Pros
free parking!
Great Place to work
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJune 3, 2014
close and attentive relationship with patient who had special health needs. My office provided confidentiality for each patient that walked into my office. Most enjoyable part of my job was to just be there and to go any extra mile to attend to any needs at any given time.
to wake up in the morning to help my patient get through a rough time and to see a smile on their face before they left my office was very rewarding.
Friendliest staff around.
Certified Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 24, 2014
I used to drive an ambulance so I have been to almost every hospital in a 50 mile radius. They all have their good and bad points. I can honestly say that Baltimore Washington Medical Center has the friendliest staff around. Even though I live closer to a different hospital, I prefer to go to BWMC for my medical care.

I've worked there for a long time. The pay is average but you can't beat having the best co-workers and the most compassionate nurses and techs around.

They have tuition reimbursement and I took advantage of this to earn my AA degree and a certificate while I worked there.

I've had a few surgeries there as well and their PACU staff is great!
Pros
Friendly staff, chances to advance
Cons
Times are tight, healthcare is having to make changes
Plenty of work
Charge Integrity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJanuary 29, 2015
The work load is present and will fill the day. I have learned the EPIC system and has been a good learning experience. Management are good people and mean well. Co-workers are a good group of people.The hardest part of the job is my commute. Having the ability to laugh and smile with your co-workers makes the day go by much easier.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
low paying
Unprofessional and Unsafe Environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Med SurgJanuary 29, 2013
I worked here as an RN. The management at the time was horrible. The other nurses were back stabbers and did not help. The charge nurse on the floor was unhelpful and if she didn't like you, she made sure you got the worst patients and zero help. Was in many code situations because the nurses and MDs on the shift prior did not address patients' condition on their shift. This hospital was employing LPNs at the time and they were good for med passes only. The hospital internists were rude when they were called by nurses. And the ER staff loved to send up patients either at the beginning or end of my shift....to their convenience. but that is very typical of any hospital.

Overall, no I would never work here. It is a dirty hospital. MRSA, ESBL and VRE galore.
Pros
free parking
Cons
see above
No budget for the lab
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 16, 2015
The lab staff and lab management are great but hospital management keeps trying to make the lab do more with less. Many shifts are understaffed and they end up having lots of OT instead of hiring new FTEs. Excellent equipment for the most part, with newer analyzers and competent senior techs who are good at training newcomers.
Fun place to work
Communications and Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDSeptember 6, 2013
 Typed documents on the Microsoft Word for the hospital’s nursing department
 Filed employee files by following the hospitals policies and procedures via HIPPA
 Labeled and mailed out envelopes for the hospital
 Provided costumer service by answering the phone
 Assisted with organizing projects for conventions put on by the Clinical Education Department
RN work on PCU at BWMC
Staff RN Step Down Telemetry Unit (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMay 22, 2013
Typical day at work is taken care of 4 to 5 patients. The day could consist of hanging cardiac drips for example heparin,cardizem,Amiodarone and Integrilin. I could also take care of post cardiac cath patients. The hardest part of my job is when I have 5 patients and a lot of critical issues happening with them.
Pros
My coworkers and the doctors are great
Cons
weekends
in the loop or not
rn (Current Employee) –  glen burnieMarch 25, 2013
I currently work there and yes while the pay is less it is the best place i have ever worked. As far a racism..that does not exist. The person who wrote" in the loop or not" sounds like an angry employee who got fired for not doing their job. If she cant even use proper grammar im sure her job skills were not up to par!
Pros
clean..great friendly staff
Cons
less pay than surrounding hospitals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baltimore Washington Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Baltimore Washington Medical Center Reviews by Location