Banana Republic Employee Reviews

Found 1,093 reviews matching the search
Worst company ever worked for!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMarch 26, 2016
Everything about this place was terrible including the clothes.
The management was all old and out of date for what the client base was. They argued amongst themselves all the time. No commitment to customers or the team. They back stabbed everyone.
If they didn't like you they played games with the schedule. The store itself was gross and dirty! People complained all the time. Good luck using the bathrooms, they were not cleaned for weeks at a time...they were public! All the cared about was that silly Banana Republic card. If you didn't sell the credit card you were either not scheduled or written up. No salary increases and no reviews.
Pros
50% discunt full price
Cons
non flexible ad hard to deal with management
Great work environment with supportive management
Floor Sales Cashier/Stock Room Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 27, 2016
Very busy and high-stress job, however the management was very competent and supportive and always were patient enough to answer any questions and teach anything you did not know. That attitude trickled down to my co-workers that they hired, which made for the most enjoyable work environment I have ever experienced. The most difficult part was dealing with difficult customers especially during the Holidays, but this was great experience to increase my customer service skills and my overall patience as well as problem solving skills.
Pros
employee discount on clothes
Cons
low pay and difficult to acquire benefits
productive work place
Service Lead/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2016
I can't consider any day at work being a typical day at work. Being apart of the stock team/sales associate is the reason for everyday to be a new one. Whether it is a fast day, slow day or even a busy day, being apart of the stock team/sales associate has taught me to be more patient with myself and others as well as being a very organized with things. From requests of customer needs to fast processing from shipments. These few of many aspects have driven me harder as a worker and pushed me by my team and management to become better at my job. Management always available and open to discuss ideas and any problems one may have. What also brings a light at work are my Coworkers always being helpful when I'm in need. Now the hardest part of the job might be taking feedback when you think you've done a great job, but I am always open for constructive criticism and I encourage it. That's what makes the job enjoyable. It keeps me on my A game and doesn't judge me while I'm aiming for it.
Pros
work benefits, lenient with school hours
Cons
short work hours available, pay rate not inline with job fuctions/duties
Mean natured General Manager
ASM (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAJanuary 26, 2016
I learned a lot about business planning and payroll. The store manager isn't very nice and 75% of the people that have come and gone will admit she is very nasty, rude and unprofessional. Associates are usually very young and timid, but nice. Turn over is high. Hardest part of the job is the support you don't get from the store manager and the negative environment she creates for her assistants. She has had many come and go and once you get to know her, you'll understand why. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and enjoying awesome discounts and benefits.
Pros
discount and health benefits
Cons
No breaks, mean manager, no advancment
Good Company
Merchandise Presentation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYMarch 9, 2016
Good company overall. They expect a lot but pay is good and the work life balance is very good. The discount is great too! Benefits were good. Lots of tasking that falls on one person.
Fast pased workplace with little to no room for improvement
Sales lead/ Stock associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2016
Currently working at banana republic but I see no future in this company. No fair compensation, or valued work. Learned how to work with groups and deal with group dynamics.
High paced low benefits
CASHIER LEAD (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2015
I enjoyed my work here because of the physical labor involved and the many people I met and came into contact with. However, you have no medical or dental benefits and management try their best to shorten your hours this way keeping you from full time perks.
Pros
Flexibility in schedules
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Challenging, in a good way.
Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Primm, NVAugust 9, 2015
A typical day at work for me would start in many of ways, towards the end of my employment with Banana I was an acting manager so I would come in and check my emails for the numbers, overall performance or any notes that were left for me. I would then check my shipments for the men's department, I was the acting men's manager, I would plan and organize the way I wanted the men's side to look based on sales. When the store was closing, I would count down drawers making sure the money added up correctly, sent a daily email to my supervisor and locked up. The hardest part of this job was not being fully appreciated for what I offered. The most enjoyable part of my job was being challenged every day and getting the chance to become a manager at such a young age.
Pros
Benefits, schedule
ok job
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 24, 2016
Wonderful place to work I enjoy working every time I go in. I have the freedom to bring new ideas and a chance to see if they work for the customer and sell well. I have learned what the difference is in working in a place that sell clothing and doesn’t make food. This store is full of some great people to work with every one knows their job and does it well they all take ownership and find a place they fit in. I really love work here I have a great boss and the other managers are fun and would recommend to anyone that this job is a great one to have. They will work with you if you have sick children and genuine about you and your needs. The day start early and ends early it’s a bit different than a restaurant where as you are done with your day by 11:30PM.
Not Much Room For Growth
Permanent Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAAugust 5, 2016
Hardest part of job: dealing with difficult, entitled customers(not all were like this but Banana Republic tends to attract certain customers), the competitiveness of working in a sales environment. A lot of times, work/life balance, is not something you will really have even if its part time, the company does on-call scheduling which supposedly they removed but they still do call last minute for you to cover other workers' shifts and with on calls, you have to call 2 hours before your on call shift to see if they do need you to work, you can only imagine how this makes it difficult to say "yes" to plans, or to even make plans when your workplace does this(something to seriously consider, my friends and family were frustrated with).
Most enjoyable part of the job: being close with co-workers and managers, the friendly customers you interact with, great store discounts, being part of a fashion forward company.
Great part time job for customer oriented associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 18, 2016
Banana Republic is a very fast-paced work environment. A typical day at work includes assisting customers, pulling items from stock, cashiering, and maintaining a clean sales floor. The most enjoyable part of working at Banana Republic was the ability to create great relationships with customers. Management was very understanding of work and life balance and treats associates as individuals. Hardest part of the job was the constant change in sales and inventory.
Pros
Team-Oriented Selling Experience, Great Management
Cons
Harder to Progress Within Company to Full time position
Fast paced, part time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, NYJuly 20, 2016
Customer service at the Banana Republic was stocking inventory, repricing the stock, and straighten the store. Take care of customers making sure they find everything they are looking for. I learned that you need to look the part you want, clothing is essential to that look. The co-workers were hard working and pleasant to work with. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the customers trying on clothing and being able to take care of the clothing afterwards. The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees, and ending the day with a clean store.
Pros
percentage off items of the store.
Cons
to long breaks, no benifits
An Alright place to work
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2015
Banana Republic is one of the best brands within the GAP company to work with. The overall atmosphere of the stores is positive and it is an easy to learn system. The job is great for those who need a flexible schedule such as students or who only want to work a little bit each week.

The initial training can feel a bit overwhelming but most often the associates who have been at the job for a while are more than happy to help answer any questions that you might have as you go. The atmosphere between co-workers is usually quite good however then can sometimes be a bit of a divide between front and back of house teams and how the management treats each team.
Pros
Flexibility to work with schedule as much as possible, work atmosphere between co-workers
Cons
management can be sales driven to the detriment of the workers, management often has favorites, low compensation, often not given enough hours
A family
Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
Working in Banana Republic, has help me knowledge the management work. On how hard it can be when the over night are done but how successful and satisfied it is knowing that the project is done on time. Team work is what retail is about and making it become your second family. Helping and meeting your customer need was always the goal and making sure they are 100% with what they got. This job taught me how to interact with different people that come from different places. and making a personal relationship with them. It gave me confidence in the area I needed help in. I am thankful for the experience this job offered me.
Pros
making a family
Cons
short staffed
I've worked at fun places which is very rewarding
brand ambassador (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2015
My job experiences are Knowledge, fun places to work, great meeting and talking with people from different cultures, and just learning.
Pros
Benefits/compensation
Cons
limited hours and salary
Daily Worklife
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXAugust 31, 2016
At the first location i loved it. It really enjoyed working with the associates as well as the customers. Later on in 2015 i transferred to the factory store in cypress and once again i loved it. It all started to change this year when the general manager and a couple of other managers left. Its been downhill from there. Two of the manager talk to you like you stupid. They are very inconsiderate and i feel like they don't care about the associates. Literally told some employees to feel free to leave if you don't want to be here.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hassle you about your 15 minutes breaks, rude managers
Classic looks, exciting workplace
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 2, 2016
My most favorite attribute of Banana Republic as a company is how well they follow their mission statement, "Unified, Not Uniform"
They provide a modern approach to classic looks, allowing the brand to be known for high quality and reliability for any modern man or woman.
I learned the importance of quality not just in product, but in attention to customer service. Providing a great guest experience was always a high priority.
The team of employees and management I worked alongside helped make the workplace diverse and exciting. I was excited to go to work each day.
Pros
High attention to detail, training included learning about all kinds of clothing
Cons
Not enough hours after holiday season
Overall work days starts with financials, responding to corporate e-mails, deadlines and adjustments.
Sr. Merchandise Presentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 27, 2016
I learned that to run a successful business, high levels of communication is key. Transparency saves a lot of time and frustration when making quick and aggressive business decisions.
The hardest part of the job was the lack of experience and communication by upper management. The most enjoyable part of my job was the merchandising and creative installations. Creating a an emotional shopping experience for internal and external customers and building relationships with our most devoted and loyal clients.
Pros
Training and development of new talent.
Cons
The lack of inspirational training and development of new and existing employees.
Great work environment, wonderful people, challenging.
Main Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2016
I've had a pretty good time with the company, although the compensation and advancement really do need work. I've worked at three different banana republics and the management at all have been completely different. at one store the managers barely even knew my name, and the two others, it was as if we were all a family. getting shifts covered and getting assistance with that tends to be very difficult depending on the size of the store, and I think that could use some strengthening as well.
Pros
work environment
Cons
bad raises, hard to get time off
A Company That Cares
Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 7, 2015
What has brought me back to Banana is working for a company that cares about people. They care about their employees, the community, the customer and encourage their employees to give back as well. The pay is not great but the benefits are the best I have ever seen.
Pros
benefits, company culture
Cons
pay, hours