Banco Popular Employee Reviews

A great place to gather experience
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRSeptember 1, 2016
I've learned and grown a lot in the time I have worked here. I take frequent trainings to keep me up to date in laws and policies that regulate not only my department but banking in general. Here I learned to always give the extra mile for our customers. It is a very secure and stable company being the biggest local bank in Puerto Rico and the one used by the goverment. Benefits are pretty good and they can vary depending on your location and department. Co-workers are amazing and very helpful, they always make you feel welcome.
Pros
Healthcare, gym, free account, stable company
Cons
pay parking, evaluation methods
Shame on them
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Panorama City, CAFebruary 1, 2016
I was the head banker at a location in Panorama City, CA.. This location was a bound to be shut down sooner or later for the simple fact that management practiced opening accounts for people based on trust and friendship rather than their financial background history (which is what we are required to do). I was not comfortable with this unspoken rule that was encouraged by management just to meet and or exceed quoata. I stayed until I could find a more suitable job with morals and pride. I only say this because most of the accounts that were opened against company rules and regs. did fall into a delinquent status and made us all look bad.
Pros
this location closed down
Cons
everything
Challenging, work balanced, community oriented
Puerto Rico Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoAugust 16, 2016
Challenging workplace. Very political and bureaucratic culture. It might take forever to get things done. Same approach for professional advancement. Management believe in work/life balance.
Good place to learn
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Cupey, PRJuly 12, 2016
Good for short term employement. Depending on which department you work in it can be a really interesting enviroment. Almost everyone I knew is ready to move on to another company but that is also due to Puerto Rico's economy.
No longer applicable
SBA Loan Packager (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILAugust 17, 2016
Started at the bottom and worked way up through departments, Gave great foot in the door and experience to areas that are in high demand now. Very grateful for my experience.
Now Popular Community Bank
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 8, 2016
Was offered a position but did not pursue it due to distance. Great company to work or bank at. Management was profesional. Coworkers were welcoming and very helpful.
Ambiente de trabajo cargado y estresante
sales representative (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 13, 2016
Es un empleo bastante estable pero no te permiten crecer dentro de la empresa y no son prpo empleados. Si sobre pasas las metas o llegas a las mismas lo que hacen es subirtelas mas y mas paraque no puedas cumplir y no tenga que pagar incentivos. Almenos en el are de ventas y mercadeo
Pros
ESTABILIDAD
Cons
NO ES PRO EMPLEADO
Productive work place, very
Adm Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJune 13, 2016
I really liked my job but in the department I was there was no more professionally growth for my preferences. I wanted to move from department but it was in hold by now.
Pros
good seminars
Cons
no retirement
work work work
Personal Banker/ Teller (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 27, 2016
too many guideline to go through
alot of trainings for no reason
alot of write ups for no reason
and over all it was just a job
continuity in knowledge
Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRJune 26, 2016
Excellent opportunity to growth like a professional. Every day have the opportunity to be a better person and receive constant learning.

Want to know more about Banco Popular?

Ask a question
Over all great place to work
Bank Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mayagüez, PRJune 28, 2016
God job, great teem. I do not have a lots of oportunities to grow in the company.
Great department with the potential to do more.
great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 15, 2016
great learning experience , rich job culture slow growth unless you know the right person but growth is possible pay is not the best bit it gives you different benefits that are worth the paycut
Very interesting and challengin duties but possible to do.
Commercial Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRFebruary 14, 2016
It was a very interesting work and I learned a lot. I developed different skills serving people. I make good friendship with my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork and be the one in charge of the commercial accounts.
Pros
They have excelent educational learning center.
Cons
Stressing deadlines.
Opportunity
Bank Hostess (Former Employee) –  Arecibo, PRMay 2, 2016
Do you have a lot of opportunity for move into the department or positions within the bank. You learn a lot with the customer and the co-worker
mostly good times, mostly
specialist (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJune 18, 2012
Used to one of the better companies to work for, but the recession took most of the greatness away.
Still, for all its problems: issues with advancement and benefits, it is still a good place to work in.
Good management and a good work life balance does it.
Pros
management, work life balance
Cons
downgraded benefits, lack of advancement opportunity
Banking services
Bank Representative (Current Employee) –  Bayamón, PRFebruary 24, 2016
Its been a great environment which has allowed me to learn more about client service and the regulations that manage banking.
Very outgoing environment, down to earth co-workers and management
Receptionist/Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston TxJuly 24, 2012
Banco Popular was probably my employer that i would say was my favorite...it might be because i was there the longest than any other job on my job history, but it was such an easy going environment that it made going to work very pleasurable...it literally felt like everyone at Banco Popular was family after a while...i had no problem staying late when asked....with that being said, Banco Popular was one of the best places i have worked at.
Pros
great benifits; vacation time; awesome management; a lot of customer interaction
Cons
location
A great place to work.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 18, 2013
Great work experience. Any day was full of challenges and a great forum to apply what you knew. It taught me that I could work well under different circumstances . The management team was very good and it felt like a family. The peers and co-workers were easy to work with and self-sacrificing. The hardest part of the job was the challenges certain types of customers present. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help some who really needed help.
Pros
you had the authority to make decisions and run your branch.
Cons
sometimes you had to work long hours.
4 starts good place to work
Assistant Vice President, Core Systems (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILOctober 21, 2013
Good place to work, Management staff listens to you and takes your advise.

The bank has a real team environment and I work closely with many departments there is truly a team spirit.

I provide support to all employees that need assistance with the FIS deposit system, I enjoy working with the different departments each day is a new adventure.
Pros
good bosses, team, and benefits.
Cons
workload can get heavy, short deadlines sometimes makes things challenging.
The people are good but don't expect anything more
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 17, 2012
The people are great as far as environment however the pay is poor. Don't expect to get a raise because it's pathetic and you will have queue after queue added to your work load with no extra pay. The training will be continuous and expectations are rather high and unrealistic. The job is strenuous and stressful wouldn't recommend working there you don't have much room for growth and advancement.
Pros
laid back work attire and you can eat at desk.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banco Popular. Our community is ready to answer.