Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Employer Reviews

another review
PCA (Pet Care Assistant) (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 27, 2015
Pet Care Assistant Summary of Job Purpose and FunctionThe Pet Care Assistant works with the veterinary medical team to provide and prepare for the best medical care of pets, and to ensure this is provided in a happy, welcoming, friendly and efficient manner, influencing clients to return and refer their friends and families.
It was a very caotic place at times, but for the most part was a good place to work! I felt I had a real work family.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Springfield, ILMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Free vet care for up to 2 pets, and we got a discount at Petsmart and I had health insurance.
Cons: Long hours with little compensation, Every day there would be a new rule or the job preformances would change, It was hard to keep up with that those changes.
The hardest part of this job was when the clients would be very upset cause they didn't understand our wellness plans or It was not explianed very well. I learned that I can/could make a difference for this business.I proved that with the revenue in crease in the last few months. The most enjoyable part of my job was the clients and there pets. When they would come in and would be so worried about there pets and I would help them to feel comfortable and safe. Management, hmmmm it is a different sort of management. They are not consistant with anythng and if I was off for 2 days I would come back and the rules or job had been changed again. Most of my co-workers were awesome, I really felt several of them cared about me. There is always one that is a "pot stirer", but for the most part I enjoyed them.
Fast paced animal hospital
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee), Mesa, AZMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Effecting the lives of others
Cons: long shifts, no separate bathrooms for employees or break room
Everyday is usually full of surprises. Everyone is nice to one another. Hardest part of the job is when you have a challenging dog and you don't have another set of arms. I learned a lot of things at this hospital, pharmacy wise. I learned all kinds of drugs while I dispensed and explained them. I learned as much as the client did some days from the doctors. The most enjoyable part of working here was that I got to make a difference in an animals health and keep them healthy for a long happy life.
Great place to gain experience for a career in veterinary medicine
EXTERNSHIP AT BANFIELD PET HOSPITAL (Former Employee), Traverse City, MIMarch 23, 2015
Pros: largely supportive staff
Cons: long hours
Keep in mind my time at Banfield was as student completing an externship, so my typical day was a bit different from the rest of staffs, and I was not allowed to receive compensation for my work.

Mornings started with surgery patients being checked in, with surgeries and dentals beginning early to mid-morning. I progressed from observing surgeries to prepping surgery and dental patients to monitoring patients to performing dental cleanings. Patients were also being seen in rooms during the morning, which I was able to observe and later participate in during my externship. Afternoons were spent seeing scheduled appointments in rooms, with paperwork and file-keeping performed at the end of the day. Because of the volume of patients seen in a day, filing at the end of the day could be tedious. In addition, Banfield lost three employees during my time with them, making things a bit hectic.
As a student, I felt supported by the staff in continuing my education in veterinary medicine. I felt the staff gave me many opportunities to complete the tasks necessary for my externship. It also helped that Banfield sees exotic pets, and I was able to work with birds, rats, and rabbits during my externship.
Customer Service
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Amherst, NYMarch 21, 2015
Always super busy, phones ringing off the hook constantly. The people at the work place viewed eachother as family. Can be a well oiled machine
High quality pet care
Associate Veterinarian (Current Employee), Dothan, ALMarch 19, 2015
Pros: high quality pet care and thorough documentation
Cons: late hours, lots of documentation, and stressful due to pressure to see a high number of pets
Small animal surgeries, then room appointments, then in between rooms, you examine dropped off pets; open 7 days a week.
New experiences
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Springfield, PAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: getting in the medical field
Cons: watching owners have to say good bye to there furry family members
typical day: go in and say hello to all the pets in the back kennels then talk to staff to see how the day is going, then look at schedule, answers phones; make reminder calls, also start calls of patients that were behind on care.

Hardest part: watching owners have to say good bye to there furry family members.

Enjoyable: working with pets
Getting better
PRACTICE MANAGER (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours
Banfield is becoming a better place to work, however they have some way to go. The hours are very long and demanding and the pay is not great. There is room for advancement and the ability to practice great quality medicine.
Love working here because of the animals.
PCA (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 16, 2015
Overall I really enjoyed working here. Being around animals 8 hours a day was wonderful. I really didn't car for my co workers and manager. Left because they cut my hours.
banfield
o Chief of staff candidate and lead doctor (Current Employee), Huntington Station, NYMarch 16, 2015
I have worked here for 1.5 years, and have enjoyed working for this company. The leadership is great. Preventative medicine is the main goal of Banfield.
Good clients bad management
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 9, 2015
I loved working with my coworkers. But management lies to much. They give false hope for advancement. We were given incentives to push the wellness plans. I was the top seller in the entire south region and all I received was a good job.
No communication, No training
csc (Former Employee), flMarch 9, 2015
Pros: hour lunch break
Cons: communication, pay, management
This place is a joke. The practice manager and the vet techs all take themselves far too seriously.

My one concern with this establishment was the complete and total lack of communication. If you did something wrong while still in the "training" period of your job, there are no warnings. They expect a certain what they call standard but can't expect their employees to live up to it if it is not clearly communicated to them what they have done wrong.

The so called training period is supposed to be 90 days. Then and only then do you start receiving benefits. However, the real training period is about 1 week. And then you are on your own. But they will fire you before those 90 days are even up.

If you are given 90 days training period and fire someone after working there for a month because you failed to warn your staff of the rules then this establishment will go downhill fast. The owners and the practice manager seriously need to reevaluate how they treat their employees and customers.

They fired 3 people that were only there for a month all for the same lame reasons. firing 3 New people after a month or less of them working for you is not good business practice.

The way customers were treated was just awful. I received plenty of phone calls of angry customers that were treated badly by the staff there. many of the staff members , including the practice manager think they are above everyone and if a customer asked a "stupid" question they were treated as of they were a 2 year old. Customer service doesn't work that way and it certainly will not bring in New clients. Many call to cancel their appts, wellness plans, and over all service with this company because of the horrible and trashy way they are treated.

Basically, if you don't kiss up to everyone at this Banfield, your job is as good as gone.
Veterinary technician
Veterinary technician (Former Employee), oklahoma cityMarch 6, 2015
I do not recommend working here for most people. The pay is extremely low for the amount of work load. They hire young people who don't take the job seriously, but who are willing to take little pay. Banfield will throw you into sx with little to no training!
After 2-3 years you will no longer receive raises, and it's nearly impossible to move up. Banfield offers no advancement. They will keep your hours short, even if you're fulltime, and under staff the hospital to save money. You will work 10-13 hr days, but will get introuble if you work more than 34 hours.
Banfield is corporately owned and works off production and that's all corporate cares about. They will run their wonderful vets off for not worrying more about money rather than pet and client care. They harass their vets! They run all other employees off due to rediculous hours and being overworked to the max, trying desperately hard to make the corporation more money, and to avoid being fired or their vets being fired.
I lasted at banfield for 5 years and only lasted that long because I loved my staff and animals. Eventually we all quit! I am friends with people from many surrounding banfields in the state and its all the same complaints and high turn around.

Bad company to work for and honestly I wouldn't recommend it as a pet owner either!
Overall a good place to work, feel like I make a difference
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: stressing preventive care for pets
Cons: too corporate at times, understaffing issues
I like the ideals behind what we do. I like stressing the education of clients on the importance of preventive care. I don't particularly care for the corporate aspect of it, in that they try to schedule too many appointments in a day because it all boils down to profit and productivity. When you try to stress the importance of preventive care and you say that you want to be with the family "for the life of your pet", you have to be able to connect with people on a personal level and gain their trust. It is hard to do that when you're trying to see appointments every fifteen minutes with one doctor on staff and keep everything running smoothly on time.
Helping Owners and Pets
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee), MOMarch 2, 2015
The best part is helping owners care for their pets. You get to see them grow from puppy/kitten into older pets. Helping owners extend the life of their pets with top quality medicine.
Lots of empty promises
Associate Veterinarian (Former Employee), New YorkFebruary 28, 2015
I would give this company a miss & keep looking for something else.

They promise lots of training & mentorship for new grads but in reality most of their DVM's (even the ones doing the 'training') are relatively new and inexperienced themselves and not in a position to be able to help guide the new grad DVM's. Also they have a HUGE focus on production which means that new hires will be put under pressure to start seeing cases every 15 mins/doing solo surgeries ASAP.

Banfield is only shut on Xmas day & Thanksgiving so you will be working most holidays & weekends. If you want time off you have to pre-arrange it several weeks in advance and if none of the other Banfield DVM's at any of the nearby hospitals can cover for you then your PTO request will be denied. Also this means that often you will often be asked (and expected) to work extra days to cover if other DVM's get sick or need time off. As another reviewed mentioned you are 'scheduled' for 80hrs a fortnight, but you will often work much, much more than that. In my area DVM's routinely had 100-110+ hours per payperiod, & because you are salaried you do not get extra pay for this. It is also common to have to work all day without a lunch break due to hospitals being strongly discouraged from turning any walk-in's away, even if you are already fully booked and the only free time to see the walk-in is your supposed lunch break.

Because appointment are booked so tightly together it really doesn't allow for thorough work-up of any more complex cases, and you will be rushed through sick pet cases by your Practice Manager to – more... maximize the number of pets seen per day. This is an accident waiting to happen, and it is your license on the line. The Board won't care that you only had 15 mins to deal with the pet!

Management is BAD!! They push constantly for higher profits, with very little focus on the quality of medicine. One of their favorite sayings is that 'A higher APC (Average Patient Charge) is an indication of good medicine'!!

Overall this company is just too top-heavy with numbers focused, pushy, management. Most other DVM's I knew working here have also left. This company has a high burnout rate, which is why they are always advertising for open positions. I wish I had paid attention to that warning sign before I joined them. – less
Exhausting, Frustrating staff and clientele, Rough environment, Gets you by and definitely does NOT offer long term advancement options or SECURITY.
RVT (Former Employee), sacramento, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: fixed schedule (depending on availability and seniority), benefits
Cons: limited opportunities for advancement (and when available, typically granted to those undeserving), lack of appreciation from upper management and corporate, frequent radiograph exposure, lack of consideration for employee's overall safety and health.
I wanted to quit after just a couple months of working here, and some how that turned into 6 years, feeling everyday like I wanted to scream and walk out!
A typical day consisted of scrambling about in the morning trying to get patients prepped, lab work completed, and as much as we could possibly get completed of our daily tasks (since once the day gets rolling there is not much time to even get your stuff done, because you typically need to help out everywhere else, both up front office and in back), all while juggling phones and trying to find coverage for the day, because there is always someone calling out sick and our staff was always light everyday in the first place.
I would typically feel our facility was understaffed, and there was not enough help to go around. And if there were enough people on staff, forget about everyone putting in 100% of their efforts, and to bad for those that do.
OHH, and let's not forget our daily dose of radiation!! Yes there is protective aprons, gloves and thyroid guards, as well as sandbags, v-troughs, and ties, which are all suppose to help "protect us" and manage "Hands free radiographs". BUT, due to poor patient compliance, and lack of proper sedation methods via the doctors, the whole "Hands free" idea is quickly abandoned, leaving us to get exposed DAILY to radiation, sometimes multiple times throughout the day. Kinda' makes you feel like the doctors and management don't care about you as a person, being that they A) typically don't assist you with them, B) typically won't sedate until someone gets hurt, or they are just to fractious – more... to obtain proper views, and C) always recommend it, even if not medically necessary (PRODUCTION PURPOSES).
YES I did learn a lot of skills, because I was thrown into without any proper training, and had to choose to sink or swim (I'm a very strong swimmer, but most aren't and will drown, leaving you irritated and still short handed). The training has slightly improved over the years, placing in front of a computer screen, going through the steps properly of how to do your job, and shadowing here and there, however, @ the same time continuing to hire those without proper education, certification, or licensing.
You can ONLY ADVANCE IF YOU DRINK THE "KOOL-AID": My life is Banfield, Sacrifice of integrity, self-worth, and kissing all the right behinds, or you can just act like a self-entitled brat throwing tantrums until you get your way (or fired).
Maybe it's different at other locations, but EVERYTHING was the hardest part of the job, especially when you are @ 110% and everyone else is putting out about 70-80%.
It was enjoyable to learn to new things, try new things, and see cute fun rooms, but those are far and few, and clientele is a major pain every step of the way.
The worst part was working for a MULTI-BILLION $ corporation, and always having them let your supervisor know "It's still not enough $$$", "Write up your staff for not maintaining their wellness % A.K.A. let me be a pushy brat and solicit this plan ( because that's what veterinary medicine is all about, RIGHT?)", and "Here's $3.75 to split between all of your staff for the annual raises", why thank you MULTI-BILLION establishment Banfield, you are just so generous.
Sure, they have a lot to offer the clientele, but @ our expense and greatly unappreciated for all of our hard work if I must say so myself. I would rather be unemployed w/o and income then ever have to go crawling back to this establishment.
It's fun for a while, but you'll quickly experience and feel the negative effects this place will have on your life.
Best of luck for those who wish to work here, I pity you and GUARANTEE you WILL NOT be happy or wish to finish out your career here. – less
Productive, efficient work place practicing quality medicine
Full time - Veterinary Assistant/Shift Lead (Current Employee), Monaca, PAFebruary 26, 2015
I first started at Banfield in May of 2015, and I was hired as a Vet technician/Vet assistant. A typical work day consist of seeing patients, working along side veterinarians as extra ears, following Banfield protocols in the work place, providing excellent and quality medicine for all patients and clients. I got promoted as a Shift Lead in October and this just goes to show that you are able to progress within the company and most managers of the hospital try to exemplify your personal skills. The hardest part of the job would be staying positive in hard situations, if there is a conflict arising or it is extremely busy, being in a leadership position it is my duty to control the situation and keep the hospital flowing normally. This can be difficult sometimes, but not impossible. The most enjoyable part of the job is I get to work all over the hospital in multiple different positions, usually wherever I am needed most for that day and especially helping pets and new clients every single day.
Its a great opportunity to work in the medical field
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2015
I love this company for giving me the opportunity. This company is not for a person with kids. I used to love my job now it is just that a job.
Great opportunity to provide meaningful service.
PRACTICE MANAGER (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MinnesotaFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: free wellness plans. see pets every day.
Cons: difficult to be a leader in this organization without sacrificaing family time.
Outstanding development opportunities.
Unlimited options for personal and professional development.
Principled organization. Improving the culture each year.
Work/Life balance and respect for personal time is an ongoing and pervasive challenge..

1 2 3 4 5

About Banfield Pet Hospital

Partnership. Teamwork. Collaboration. Back in 1955, Banfield Pet Hospital was founded on a vision to make human-quality medicine – Read more

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos