Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Alot of work little pay. Great People. Rewarding.
Veterinarian Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2016
I love working for banfield! It is a lot of work and stress, BUT the days fly by. Good people, easy to transfer. Better start out pay then most animal hospitals. Great benefits.
Pros
Great People, Benfits, Better Pay Then Most
Cons
Lots of stress, Long Hours
Pet Hospital that cares
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Seguin, TXFebruary 10, 2016
Banfield has made some great changes over the years. They are focused on associate engagement and customer satisfaction. This helped with hiring and allowed for more competitive pay. Mars has really helped to make Banfield a place to want to be.
Pros
engagement
Cons
no holidays or weekends off
Deplorable
Veterinarian Assistant/Technician (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAFebruary 10, 2016
This company could not care less about the employees and the management is usually just an overpaid couch potato; and don't count on getting the benefits,you'll be working 36-39 hours per week so they won't be required to spend more money on you.
Pros
Sometimes you get a whole weekend off
Cons
The entire job is one big con
Culture of Negativity
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 9, 2016
You'll work your rear off only to be constantly criticized and put down all while getting underpaid. PERIOD. I was a long time client before I was an associate. If you're not a brown noser, this isn't the place for you.
Pros
benefit, preventative care medicine
Cons
everything else
Great Corporation to work for if you love animals
Veterinary Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 8, 2016
Great corporation to work for. This corporation really cares about its employees.

This corporation takes the time to really get to understand their employees and what there employees need to do in the job fields and gets them what they need at a moments notice.
Pros
Animal Benefits (Pets)
Cons
Small Work Areas
Reception
Client Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 5, 2016
Greeted Pets and thir Owners by name while checking them in for appts.Advising Owners of the Wellness plans that we offered for pets.The hardest part is to keep up with answering the phones while interacting with other clients. My Co-workers are awesome, always willing to lend a tip on how to do a skill easier. Backing each other up all the time to complete the Day together.
Pros
Employee benefits, heath ins.
Cons
being short staffed
They have good aspects and bad aspects
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 3, 2016
GREAT benefits, but training and management across markets is very different. Not a consistant standard. Their values are solid but not all management leads based off the of 5 principles.
hard work little time to relax even for a bathroom break, had to beg to have someone cover for you
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wylie, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Employer is very difficult to work for. when I was hired I was promised 40 hours per week. This never happened and usually worked 20-28 hours per week. Also they send you to different stores to cover for an absent person.

There was no consistency between offices so every day it felt your first day at work.

Manager was absent most of the time
Pros
Liked meeting the animals coming in for treatment
Cons
Management is terrible they misrepresent the job to you when hiring
Great place to learn basic skills
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Training and development are a high priority. Adapting to, following and believing in Banfield culture and medicine are a must. Long hours, plenty of overtime. Unpredictable schedule. Great hospital team members; very dedicated individuals. Upper management sets unreasonable goals for pet care, service and financial growth. Sends a mixed messages. On may occasions, feels like the McDonalds of the Vet industry.
Pros
livable wage, lots of training, great hospital teams
Cons
upper management, unreasonable goals
Fun Place to work
Client Service Coordinator/Vet Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MAJanuary 24, 2016
Getting patients ready for procedures, physicals, and vaccines. Monitoring patients and maintaining cleanliness.
While working here I have learned a lot about pet health and what can cause certain sicknesses and how to prevent them.
Fun co-workers make the time pass by.
Hardest part of the job is seeing very sick pets.
Most enjoyable part is taking care of healthy pets, puppies and seeing the sick pets bounce back to health.
Pros
Being around adorable pets all day.
Cons
Low pay, no immediate vacation/sick time available.
The environment sucks
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Various LocationsJanuary 19, 2016
I guess it varies from location to location. However, from the minute I've gotten hired on, things have been rocky. I applied for Vet Assistant. The manager at my hospital made me go for Client Services Coordinator. She resigned almost immediately afterwards. I said that was fine and got hired on. A month and a half of training later at a different location, I went back to my location, and the first week was rough. But I dealt. Because I was trained at a different location, the two hospitals did things differently. I was constantly getting nagged at. One of the doctors, who hate new people, would yell at me every other day. Then, the process of checking pets in was changed, and the CSC's no longer could bring pets to the back, which made me feel like I wasn't trusted for one, and for two, It made me question why I'm going to school for Vet Tech Lastly, my breaking point was when we got our new practice manager and dropped my hours down to 10 hours a week.
Pros
Hour- long breaks, deal with pets
Cons
Dealing with doctors, switching managers, switching locations, more concerned with money
Roller-Coaster ride for a job, if you are into that.
Customer Service/Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 17, 2016
You do great in training, great on phones and get a few people to coach you. They spend much time telling you how valuable you are, how important you are to the company and during coaching, how much you have been improving. Then they call you into a meeting and tell you that you are not meeting goals and they make you sign a piece of paper. If you are not good at collections for past due accounts then I don't recommend the billing department as a place to work. You have to get payments, provide customer service and calm down angry customers. Regardless, if you don't meet company goals then you are gone. Two written warnings, then the third time they are walking you out the door. Don't leave any valuables in your desk.
Pros
Pay, lunch service available.
Cons
Too political and supervisors have their favorites.
Good Benefits
benefits specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 16, 2016
The work culture wasn't the best, kind of reminded me of high school. One thing I really enjoyed was that you could bring your dog in. It was nice to see associates dogs.
Pros
Fitness Center and Cafe
Productive and fun workplace enviroment.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJanuary 15, 2016
Great opportunity for advancement such as learning new technician and receptionist skills. High turnover rate. Good pay for not being a licensed technician. Great hours, but lots of meetings.
Pros
four 10 hour work days, great staff, benefits, vacation time, mars perks
Cons
Lots of meetings, felt pressured to push for wellness plans, high turnover rate
Receptionist at Banfield
good samaritan hospital (Former Employee) –  Superior, COJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of Checking clients in and out, answering phones and scheduling appointments. I enjoyed working at the hospital, my co workers were very friendly and helpful and the clients i would assist throughout the day made working there so much better.
lots of turn over
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJanuary 10, 2016
Not a lot of job security. Back stabbing by supervisors. High turnover rate. Very little support by management. Enjoyed working with cliental. Decent pay but no room for advancement.
Pros
pet insurance at a discounted cost
Cons
no job security
You shouldn't be here more than 2 yrs. Stepping stone job
Veterinarian Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 7, 2016
Management was extremely terrible. been there for about 2 yrs and we went through 2 managers. Both managers couldn't do anything right and usually made work harder. Eventually a third was hired from another Banfield, and management was kinda better. Doctors wasn't bad, but depending on the locations, some seemed like real a**holes to the techs. The Banfields in the local region seem to be hate each other and often clash with one another. Scheduling is a mess. We have plenty of part/full time tech willing to work extra hours or simply fill the shifts, but instead the manager keeps hiring new techs, which leads to even more cut hours and "why throw me under the bus" moments

Plenty of lunch time break whether it's 30 min or an hour. Part-timers have it harder than full time trying to get more hours since full time will have more priority than others. Sometimes you only work 1-2 days a week as a part timer which is kinda bad. It is also performance based so if you're good at what you're doing at work, you'll be in more often, and if you're doing poorly, don't expect to be in every week but usually its either the performance or the priority that screws part-timers over. I've seen terrible co-workers get more hours and excellent ones come in once a week or even once every 2 weeks. Part-time benefits are terrible-no health and annoying discounted car/house insurance which is pointless if you already have car/house insurance or don't even have either. Only good thing about benefit is you get 15% off from petsmart, if you have pets. Full time is fairly decent. Health plan deduction
  more... is slightly high. If you're trying to get into vet school and need experience, this place is not bad since MD doesn't require vet techs to be certified, but don't be here more than 1 year. 2 yr is the max since the number of teaching goes down and usually don't care if you're trying to get into vet school or not afterwards. The penn-foster online vet tech certification that Banfield offers for vet techs is complete trash. Co-workers can be either really nice, annoying, or a**holes.

Vet service provided is fairly good depending on locations. Some location's doctors will actually take the time and treat the pet and some will be more concerned with profit and number of clients coming in.
Pros
lengthy breaks, benefits-sort of, good start for vet techs/pre-vet
Cons
management, terrible scheduling for part-time, lots of work for little pay
Profoundly Negative
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Very negative. The " strengthening the Banfield Experience" is the end of quality care as we knew of it. The vet assistants are grossly underpaid and are recruited usually without any experience. The notes are so voluminous that the assistants are the primary authors of the "doctor's notes. The office staff use a rubric to determine the length of the doctor's visit and the paraprofessional's main purpose is to push the doctor to stay on schedule. There is even a person dedicated to this task, a "pit boss",

If the clients could see what goes on in the treatment area they would cancel their wellness plans and run for the front door
Productive workplace with the potential to advance in the company
Client Service Coordinator, veterinary assistant (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJanuary 2, 2016
I have learned a ton about veterinary medicine that I didn't know before I started working. I have learned how to deal with upset clients and how to handle a situation of a dog being put to sleep. The hardest part of the job is helping a client say goodbye to their furry friend. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the puppies and kittens.
Pros
hour lunch breaks, PTO
Cons
no benefits for part-time, part-timers can't work more than 30 hours
Learning and growing
Pet Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2015
I learned alot at banfield. It could be very busy due to walk-ins but we seen all sorts of issues with dogs anad cats. I traveled as a reilef tech at the end so i expereienced alot at different banfields.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Traveled alot