Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

We would have fun while working
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Colonial Heights,VAJune 29, 2015
We would have fun while doing our jobs, animal hospitals are past paced and high stress, so laughter can go a long way on a day with a lot of things going on around you
What it's like working at Banfield
Veterinary Assistant/ Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 27, 2015
The South Tampa Hospital used to have the best manager and best staff around. Now the place has completely fallen apart. I had ZERO work life balance, it's impossible to move up, every one there only cares about them selves. Docs are good but management is horrible.
Prodcutive and fun work place
Pet Care Assistant (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 18, 2015
Daily tasks of giving the proper care and attention to our patients, I scheduled appointments, drew blood, and assisted with x-rays. I also administered medicines and fluids along withPerformed urinalysis and nail trims.
Good benifits as far as 401k, paid time off and discounts for your pet's care
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee), Clearwater, FloridaJune 17, 2015
Pros: Good benifts for your pet's
Cons: retail hours
I have worked for Banfield Pet Hospital for a long time I have learned a lot from them in regards to developing me into the Veterinary assistant I am today and for that I am thankful.
Banfield
Office Manager (Former Employee), scottsdaleJune 11, 2015
Pros: learned a lot, schedule
Cons: i moved
This was the best job I ever had, I started as front desk and quickly was made the office manager. I had a small hospital but managed about 12 people. I got to help with surgery's, set iv's, intubate, and run labs. There was a lot of office work and customer service involved. With this company I worked a 12hr shift and loved it, plus the patient care was one of my favorite things.
Hostile work environment
CSC (client service coordinator) (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 10, 2015
Pros: Benifits
Cons: Work envorinment.
The day starts off running smoothly. Time for training and learning is not provided with appropriate amount of time, and are often yelled at and blamed for insufficient training. Management ignores problems and will address them by directing employees to ignore them. The hardest part of the job is working with coworkers who are always negative and will blame anyone before taking any responsibility.
BUSY
Veterinarian assistant (Former Employee), alexandriaJune 8, 2015
A typical workday was very busy and productive. I learned that just because you work somewhere does not mean you have a passion for it. Management was corporate America. You just an employee and if you don't fit into their group you can be replaced. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the changes and high demand. My co-worker were like family and fun to work with.
Great for someone that would like experience in Animal Medicine
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Sugar Land, TXJune 4, 2015
Pros: Free healthcare for up to 3 Pets
Cons: Has a high deductible healthcare plan
Typical day starts at around 7:45 AM, very fast paced work environment, you have to be able to multi-task and prioritize at all times.
Caring staff
Veterinarian Assistant (Current Employee), San DiegoJune 3, 2015
All the associates are very caring and really love the pets they work with.
We do 3-4 surgeries a day, from dental cleanings to spays and neuters. We have a well trained staff from the front to the back and the Docotors are amazing.
Great place to learn
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee), Eugene, ORJune 2, 2015
I've learned a lot in the year that I have been there. A great place to get your foot in the door and my coworkers in South Eugene were just amazing.
Rewarding workplace.
Vet Assistant/Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJune 2, 2015
I enjoyed working with Banfield. It allowed me to help both prevent sickness from affecting animals and helped treat those sick animals if something happened.
Garland and Killeen
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee), Garland, TXJune 2, 2015
Coming to work everyday for this company, you better be ready to work. I learned a new software that is unbelievably difficult to learn. By no means is it user friendly. My co-workers in Garland were awesome. My experience was awesome. I we didn't move, I'd still be there and not looking for work. We worked as a team and accomplished the day together. The Dr.s were great.
As far as the Kileen store, what a mess. Management, seemed only to care about themselves, the open door policy that is mentioned, doesn't exist, and the Dr.s made me question why they went to school to be in this field, if they don't even like what they are doing. The way the hospital was run, felt like high school all over again. With the gossiping and clicks. No client relations, it felt more like, lets see how much money we can make and who cares about the animals. I was disappointed and heartbroken that these types of people really do exist.
rewarding place to work.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee), Hyde Park, OHJune 2, 2015
Pros: rotating weekends, always lots of food, hour breaks
Cons: 10 to 12 hour shifts, putting down animals
Being a veterinary assistant at Banfield is hard. It is pretty rewarding to see animals get better though. The hardest part about working there is having to put animals down. The best part is knowing you helped a sick animal get better.
Vet Assistant Perspective: Poor management, long hours, unstable work environment
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee), Beaverton, ORJune 1, 2015
Pros: Puppies and kitties, client relationships, saving lives
Cons: Long hours, bad schedule, poor upper management, metrics valued over patient care, frequent turnover, pay insufficient to make up for stressful labor
I will preface by saying that my co-workers have been fantastic and my direct supervisors have done their best to work with me. I used my employment at Banfield as an opportunity to relocate cross country and successfully reboot my life. The doctors and parastaff quickly trained me how to be fully functional vet assistant coming from a minimally vet related research background. My clinic's supportive staff kept me from burning out, but they have been exceptional in the Banfield picture.

At a stand alone clinic, I expect to work from 8am-7:30pm 4 days a week. I also expect 7:30 closing to become – more... 8-9pm based upon the days work flow. My manager *tries* to keep me with set days off, but I rarely get the same days off every week. I need to request specific weekends off, because the other staff have to do the same to live their lives. Suffice to say work/life balance is NOT good - 4 full days from morning to night and 3 unpredictable days off make planning a family life or participating in groups/classes outside of work very difficult.

We have had stable parastaff since my hire, but 5 DVMs have been officially part of the hospital in the 6 months I have worked here. We spent one month without a full time doctor and had a different relief DVM every week. During that time, our probationary DVM was a major conflict issue in the clinic. He was a known agitator at other clinics, having yelled at staff and causing a hostile work environment. We were his "second" try. He would defer all work he could upon parastaff and front desk while taking leaving early for lunch and closing. He was fired due to questionable medical practice, no commitment to clients, creating a hostile environment among the staff, and making racist jokes about clients. Corporate management let his influence fester in the clinic for almost two months, despite constant complaints from clients, parastaff, and clinic leadership. During his time, our clinic took a hit in client satisfaction, sales metrics, and morale - which still have not recovered fully in the months since.

Most of the other DVMs I've met have been fantastic, but Banfield is driven by metrics (like other corporations). If your clinic cannot maintain a good number of patients, average profit per client, and wellness plan signups, hours will be shortened and new staff will not be approved. Good DVMs and staff work under increased pressure to meet metrics on short staff. A bad month (ex: caused by DVM turnover) can impact the next two+ months, with new, NECESSARY employees being denied to the clinic because of past metric performance.

Banfield's are open 363 days a year, with breaks only on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Holiday's are not time and a half and overtime does not begin until you go past 40 hours a week. An extremely stressful 14 hour day for late emergencies does not confer any additional pay unless it pushed you past the 40 hour/week mark.

10-minute breaks are a figment of your imagination and mandatory hour long lunches easily become abbreviated when the schedule invariably gets chaotic. You have the right to demand these things (I do) but it easily becomes part of the clinic attitude to scoff at your coworkers for wanting their allotted time (ex: Well *I* had to miss 1/2 my lunch to cover the front desk).

I think Banfield could do a much better job if long hours, unstable schedules, minimal staff for stand alone locations, and firmly metric driven management decisions weren't the status quo. Many clinics continue to do great work for our clients and patients. But many of the employees are constantly on the verge of burnout, which encourages turnover and further instability. My clinic has been supportive, but I am currently looking to move on - knowing that the lack of work/life balance is not going to help me further a career outside of a vet clinic or develop my family life. – less
fun but awful pay and awful management
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Manchester, MOMay 27, 2015
Pros: getting to work with animals
Cons: no scheduled breaks, no set schedule, poor management, crabby employees, pay, benefits.
I wouldn't recommend working there. It was fun for a little bit if you're not worried about steady hours or pay. And like dealing with a lot of work place drama that doesn't need to happen and people constantly being in your business.
Good learning experience but..
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee), Tyler, TXMay 26, 2015
Pros: good learning experience
Cons: short breaks
I learned a ton during my time here, and enjoyed most of my coworkers and doctor. That being said, the environment has become less flexible than when I started the job.
If you love pets...
Practice Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2015
Pros: Indepdences
Cons: Sales/Production focus
This is the place for you. Despite this being more sales focused that I would like as a manager I enjoy the company greatly.
Horrible mid-level "leadership"
Veterinary Practice Manager (Current Employee), Twin Cities, MNMay 24, 2015
Pros: Good compensation for Managers and Veterinarians
Cons: Mid-level managers know nothing about hospital operations.
The company has a great philosophy combining the pillars of Client Satisfaction, Preventive Care and Associate Engagement. Unfortunately, time and again, they forget the Associate Engagement part.

As Practice Manager, you'll be told to do more business, get more pets "through the door" but keep your staff below the minimum effective number to serve your clients. You'll spend time coaching your staff to work with software updates that will make some things easier, but will complicate the things that were easy to begin with. You'll be told alternately that you should be in a coaching and development – more... role, but should also work at the front desk or as a technician to keep staff expenses down. If you didn't spend so much of your time doing inane tasks that are required, you would love to do the work you were actually hired to do.

As a technician or front desk person, you'll never understand why there is never quite enough staff available. When emergencies come in at the end of the day, and you have to stay late, you find out that your manager was berated for you going into overtime, even though it was the correct thing to do.

As a veterinarian, you'll work 10-11 hour days, be nicely compensated, and get the training you need to get a job pretty much anywhere. If you've worked for Banfield, you can deal with anything.

At some point, perhaps Banfield will start hiring people as Field Directors and Regional leaders who have actually worked in hospitals, and have a more than passing understanding of what the work is like. Line managers spend a lot of time shaking their heads and wondering, "What were they thinking?" – less
pays great & offers all kinds of benefits
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 24, 2015
Pros: free wellness plans for your pet
Cons: pretty much open all the time
I wish I had never left to begin with but the life/work balance was a little strained. They pay very well & have great benefits, within the company & other companies that they are affiliated with.
Horrible hours. No life/work balance
Veterinary Assistant/Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Lafayette, LAMay 21, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: Short lunch breaks, long work days, horrible management
First off if you have a family this is not the place for you. Upper management does not care about your personal life. You work from sun up to sun down with minimal break time, weekends, and all holidays except christmas and thanksgiving day.
There are no consequences for employees who are late almost everyday or for people who do not perform their job to its fullest. Management is constantly texting or sitting in the office unwilling to help and any time you bring forward a concern or state that you are concerned with being scheduled 8 days in a row, you are just a bother.
Under paid for the amount of work you are asked to perform.
Health benefits are the only plus.

1 2 3 4 5

About Banfield Pet Hospital

Partnership. Teamwork. Collaboration. Back in 1955, Banfield Pet Hospital was founded on a vision to make human-quality medicine – Read more

Banfield Pet Hospital Salaries