Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Employer Reviews

Exhausting, Frustrating staff and clientele, Rough environment, Gets you by and definitely does NOT offer long term advancement options or SECURITY.
RVT (Former Employee), sacramento, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: fixed schedule (depending on availability and seniority), benefits
Cons: limited opportunities for advancement (and when available, typically granted to those undeserving), lack of appreciation from upper management and corporate, frequent radiograph exposure, lack of consideration for employee's overall safety and health.
I wanted to quit after just a couple months of working here, and some how that turned into 6 years, feeling everyday like I wanted to scream and walk out!
A typical day consisted of scrambling about in the morning trying to get patients prepped, lab work completed, and as much as we could possibly get completed of our daily tasks (since once the day gets rolling there is not much time to even get your stuff done, because you typically need to help out everywhere else, both up front office and in back), all while juggling phones and trying to find coverage for the day, because there is always someone calling out sick and our staff was always light everyday in the first place.
I would typically feel our facility was understaffed, and there was not enough help to go around. And if there were enough people on staff, forget about everyone putting in 100% of their efforts, and to bad for those that do.
OHH, and let's not forget our daily dose of radiation!! Yes there is protective aprons, gloves and thyroid guards, as well as sandbags, v-troughs, and ties, which are all suppose to help "protect us" and manage "Hands free radiographs". BUT, due to poor patient compliance, and lack of proper sedation methods via the doctors, the whole "Hands free" idea is quickly abandoned, leaving us to get exposed DAILY to radiation, sometimes multiple times throughout the day. Kinda' makes you feel like the doctors and management don't care about you as a person, being that they A) typically don't assist you with them, B) typically won't sedate until someone gets hurt, or they are just to fractious – more... to obtain proper views, and C) always recommend it, even if not medically necessary (PRODUCTION PURPOSES).
YES I did learn a lot of skills, because I was thrown into without any proper training, and had to choose to sink or swim (I'm a very strong swimmer, but most aren't and will drown, leaving you irritated and still short handed). The training has slightly improved over the years, placing in front of a computer screen, going through the steps properly of how to do your job, and shadowing here and there, however, @ the same time continuing to hire those without proper education, certification, or licensing.
You can ONLY ADVANCE IF YOU DRINK THE "KOOL-AID": My life is Banfield, Sacrifice of integrity, self-worth, and kissing all the right behinds, or you can just act like a self-entitled brat throwing tantrums until you get your way (or fired).
Maybe it's different at other locations, but EVERYTHING was the hardest part of the job, especially when you are @ 110% and everyone else is putting out about 70-80%.
It was enjoyable to learn to new things, try new things, and see cute fun rooms, but those are far and few, and clientele is a major pain every step of the way.
The worst part was working for a MULTI-BILLION $ corporation, and always having them let your supervisor know "It's still not enough $$$", "Write up your staff for not maintaining their wellness % A.K.A. let me be a pushy brat and solicit this plan ( because that's what veterinary medicine is all about, RIGHT?)", and "Here's $3.75 to split between all of your staff for the annual raises", why thank you MULTI-BILLION establishment Banfield, you are just so generous.
Sure, they have a lot to offer the clientele, but @ our expense and greatly unappreciated for all of our hard work if I must say so myself. I would rather be unemployed w/o and income then ever have to go crawling back to this establishment.
It's fun for a while, but you'll quickly experience and feel the negative effects this place will have on your life.
Best of luck for those who wish to work here, I pity you and GUARANTEE you WILL NOT be happy or wish to finish out your career here. – less
Productive, efficient work place practicing quality medicine
Full time - Veterinary Assistant/Shift Lead (Current Employee), Monaca, PAFebruary 26, 2015
I first started at Banfield in May of 2015, and I was hired as a Vet technician/Vet assistant. A typical work day consist of seeing patients, working along side veterinarians as extra ears, following Banfield protocols in the work place, providing excellent and quality medicine for all patients and clients. I got promoted as a Shift Lead in October and this just goes to show that you are able to progress within the company and most managers of the hospital try to exemplify your personal skills. The hardest part of the job would be staying positive in hard situations, if there is a conflict arising or it is extremely busy, being in a leadership position it is my duty to control the situation and keep the hospital flowing normally. This can be difficult sometimes, but not impossible. The most enjoyable part of the job is I get to work all over the hospital in multiple different positions, usually wherever I am needed most for that day and especially helping pets and new clients every single day.
Its a great opportunity to work in the medical field
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2015
I love this company for giving me the opportunity. This company is not for a person with kids. I used to love my job now it is just that a job.
Great opportunity to provide meaningful service.
PRACTICE MANAGER (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MinnesotaFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: free wellness plans. see pets every day.
Cons: difficult to be a leader in this organization without sacrificaing family time.
Outstanding development opportunities.
Unlimited options for personal and professional development.
Principled organization. Improving the culture each year.
Work/Life balance and respect for personal time is an ongoing and pervasive challenge..
keep looking
vet tech (Former Employee), Timonium, MDFebruary 20, 2015
I would not recommend working for banfield in glen burnie or Timonium. Staff is not friendly towards eachother and doctors talk to staff like 2 years olds.
Very organized
Lead Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee), Moorestown, NJFebruary 20, 2015
Being a corporate veterinary hospital, there are many protocols that sneed to be followed that extend to the entire company. The software used is also very helpful since it connects all of the offices.
One of the best.
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Norwalk, CTFebruary 20, 2015
Great Place to work,everyone has been welcoming and kind. Management very understanding and hands on.Best experience so far the animals and people make it the best.
Good values, lacking in field management
Practice Manager (Former Employee), Palm Coast, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Was able to advance career from veterinary technician to Practice manager. Good environment for career advancement. Good benefits. Field Leadership has much to be desired.
Infectious positive culture and exceeding in preventive care
Practice Manager (Current Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLFebruary 17, 2015
This company is an excellent place to work in the veterinary field. It is fast paced, fast growing and very rewarding. Development is a must in this company and part of the MARS family.
I hated it
vet assistant (Former Employee), colorado springs, coFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: the other place was teamwork
Cons: the techs and doctors are rude and dont care about you has an individual
I used to work in the colorado springs, Co. and there was no team work at all the techs would sit around at the end of the night while I did all the cleaning and I always got critizied for everything. When
I told the boss about it she would basically say oh well deal with it. I was so glad when I gave notice to transfer to a better banfield clinic to where it was more teamwork and the techs and doctors apprecate you.
Horrible, horrible, horrible
CSC/VA (Former Employee), OhioFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: the pets
Cons: long hours, work every weekend, horrible management, not guaranteed lunch, no work/life balance
Integrity and honesty are non-existent. Practice managers walk on water and can do no wrong, while the rest of the staff (doctors included) are expected to bow down to them. Unless you are on the manager's good side you are treated like garbage until you are miserable enough to leave. The fact that it is a corporation makes it worse, you can go to your field management with your concerns but they are shoved to the side and instead you are the one in trouble and you're told you have to be friends and get along with someone who goes out of their way to make your life miserable. Manager was caught doing everything that goes against the code of ethics and yet didn't get reprimanded, the rest of the staff's lives just got more miserable. This company used to be a good place to work for until they hired new field leadership and new managers. The only people who actually matter are the managers, doctors are treated just as bad as staff members. Good luck running a veterinary office with no doctors and only practice managers who have no idea what they're doing anyway. It's all lies and cover ups and it's not worth the stress. Long shifts everyday, overtime every week, you work every single weekend and you're expected to be available Sun-Sat 7a-7p otherwise you're forced to be part time. Horrible, horrible, horrible place to work at!
Awful place for an experienced manager.
Practice Manager (Former Employee), NCFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: educating clients
Cons: everything you can imagine
The worst environment I have ever worked in as a Practice Manager. Long hours (10-13 hrs) and exhausting work with no space; no desk, no secure location for sensitive personnel documents. Most Vet Assistants are trained on the job and expected to learn how to monitor anesthesia and assist with surgeries. This will eventually result in disaster. This company hires a younger staff and works them hard.
Perfect job if you don't know any better
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee), Sarasota, FLFebruary 9, 2015
I was told flat out that the doctors are allowed to treat the nurses like second rate citizens. If you don't realize you're a human being deserving of respect, then this is a great place to work.
Fast paced small animal practice.
Shift lead (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: great benefits for myself and pets. $200 towards my ce classes.
Cons: very long work hours and open 7 days out of the week so it decreases the time i have with my family.
We are a face paced practice that sees mainly dogs, cats and the occasional PetSmart guinea pigs. I have learned to help lead my associates into being part of a team and opening up to me when they need to. My favorite part of my job is client education. The hardest part of my job is euthanizing a pet that has more time then the owners think.
Stay away
Client services coordinator (Former Employee), san antonio, txFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: it was a paycheck
Cons: everything.
Very unorganized place to work. They never praise you for anything. The doctors don't care and are not approachable if you need to ask them questions. The vet techs and other staff were just as bad. Absolutely no teamwork. Doctors and staff would bicker among each other. Money is all they care about and scheduling as many people as possible and calling clients for every single reason we can to get people in. All any of the people I worked with would do is complain. Very hostile environment place to work. Long hours, short staffed and high turn over rate.
Love working with the animals
PET NURSE (Former Employee), Marietta, GAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: i got to handle exotic animals
Cons: pay, the drive & healthcare
Getting to be a pet nurse
Greeting animals
Prepping for surgery
Doing blood work
Taking X-rays
The drive was too long
Working with exotic animals
No Advancement
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Augusta, GAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: benefits, client relations
Cons: management and no advancement
I worked very hard for this company, no room for advancement and Co-worker who moved into manager position and used her power to her advantage towards employees she did not like.
A good privately owned company
Office Professional (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 2, 2015
Good financial results; conflicts between Mars Inc. and Banfield due to the different management styles and financial positions. Not recommended for its rough retail office management styles.
Exceptional work enviroment
CLIENT SERVICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: benefits, strong team environment
Cons: pay, long hours
Banfield is a great company to work. Other then being under paid for the long hours that are required to work, it is a fun loving, team environment to be a part of.
poor management
Vet Assistant / Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Winchester, TNJanuary 30, 2015
Employees schedule is far from a priority, poor training of employees, poor communication and overall work environment.

1 2 3 4 5

About Banfield Pet Hospital

Partnership. Teamwork. Collaboration. Back in 1955, Banfield Pet Hospital was founded on a vision to make human-quality medicine – Read more

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos