Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Great starter position
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJanuary 11, 2017
The benefits are great and hard to beat but the culture is poor. I was constantly pushed to do more, see more and make more and was not supported in this! No overtime for nurses and you only get 1! How can you practice Quality medicine without staff and support?
They push development and training but those that do get promoted are overworked (>55hrsper week) and still get paid the same as an associate.So basically you are used by the company as a manager and see no benefit to you. The medical directors, field directors and chief of staffs are let go regularly for not meeting the metrics or set business goals set out for them. They have no loyalty to their employees what so ever, you are justs a cog in a wheel and replaceable. They are great for development and early learning for Doctors but do not recommend advancement.
Pros
OWP for pets, benefits
Cons
hours, compensation, para support, leadership, job security, work-life balance
corporate culture in vet med does not work
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 22, 2017
I have been working with animals for a long time before I came here. Didn't start working with them for the money, I did it because its what I love to do. This company is ALL about numbers. As soon as goals are met, new goals are put out without even acknowledging our accomplishments. Management plays the favorites game like no other workplace I've been at. Some pros are that PTO is given even to part time workers as well as schooling with penn foster to become a CVT. Gas and tolls are also paid for if shift is at a hospital far from your home. Overall good benefits and good starting point if you want to get into vet med due to training but otherwise the corporate culture really doesn't work out when it comes to the vet industry.
Pros
benefits, training, partners with penn foster, PTO for full and part time
Cons
corporate culture, subpar management
Love the Pets
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  TexasFebruary 13, 2017
I love my job and being an advocate for pets. This company has taught me so much from medical termnology to giving mecical care for pets. My particular hospital is very fast past, and we had a large pet volume so being efficient was a must, but we are able to provide quality care, and the Dr's and Manager care about the employees. With Banfield being open 7 days a week work/life balance can be hard when we are understaff, and OT is rarely approved when it is necessary. Banfield has great benefits for employees and thier pets, but Insurance wise I had better at other jobs. Unless you are willing to relocate to where our corporate is located, your going to be at a standstill. I love the pets that come through the doors and have a great team to work with. Depending on the hospital you go to will determine what kind of experience you will have.
Pros
Wellness plan benefits
Cons
health insurance
Associate Veterinarian
Associate Veterinarian (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLFebruary 23, 2017
I've really enjoyed a good work/life balance with good compensation, but continued advancement is difficult with the leadership structure. Also, despite good starting salary and benefits - the production compensation lay out isn't very good. I did practice quality medicine with a high standard of care, but I feel that is very much hospital-to hospital. The same quality goes for regional management. My biggest complaint is lack of advancement potential and the propensity to get a bit bored.
Pros
Quality medicine, compensation
Cons
Career advancement, boredom, bonus structure
There are worse places to work
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 20, 2017
The fast paced environment and overall job is great. I love what I do for this company, but the upper management is horrible and the cooperation is flawed. Corporate will make policies that don't make sense because the people making them have never set foot in a vet hospital. The pay sucks and even though raises come every year, they are never worth the work we put in. Most hospitals run with minimal staff and if you are full-time you are required to be available weekends. The scheduling does not work well for people who have kids at home because of the hours the hospital is open and the need to be available. The health insurance isnt the worse, but it isnt the best either. It is a lot better if it is covering someone who is single, but gets expensive once you add on a spouse or child. You do get free wellness plans for 3 pets and a huge discount on high quality pet food, so if you can handle the corporate environment it's not the worst.
Pros
Free wellness plans, health care
Cons
Scheduling and upper management
Disgrace to veterinary medicine
Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXJanuary 5, 2017
I am mainly addressing veterinarians here. If you love your profession, and of course you do, don't work for those greedy corporate people.
To them, it's a numbers game. Trust me! It's not about the quality of medical service.
There isn't room for professional growth or learning and they would tell you otherwise.
Be smart! Choose what's best for you and your profession.
When you make a decision whether to accept their offer or not, remember why you have chosen this profession.You need to realize that their management doesn't share your values.
benefits
Cons
Management, dead-end job not career
You will learn alot
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30909December 21, 2016
I loved working with the animals everyday. I loved working for Banfield initially, unfortunately the longer you are there the more you learn this corporation is always about the bottom line. Some staff care deeply for the animals but let me be clear THIS COMPANY DOES NOT. They also do not care for their employees. I know of multiple pregnant women that were overworked and shamed by coworkers, I know of one who had to work multiple open to closes while pregnant with a high risk child and nothing, not even an apology was given to the associate, whose child did end up living in the nicu for the first month of life.
benefits
Cons
overwork, poor upper-managment, short-staffed
Great Company to work for!
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 5, 2016
A typical day at Banfield Pet Hospital is very busy. A lot of 'kids' coming to see us. Multiple phone lines ringing, several doctors to schedule for. Compassion, empathy and client care are of utmost importance. The management at my particular hospital was great. Very much a team atmosphere. Management is a crucial part of personal and professional growth, they care about the employees and their futures. My favorite part of the job was the relationships I developed with both pet and owner. The least pleasant part of the job involved euthanasia of beloved family members.
Pros
Benefits, great team, advancement
Cons
Loosing pets
December 24, 2016

Your kind review is very much appreciated! Thank you for all you have done for our practice, our clients and their pets. We wish you all the best!

banfield
Registered Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  South Euclid, OHJanuary 23, 2017
This job was great at first specially for a first job right out of school. I have worked at 3 different locations and the biggest thing is that there is no consistency. Even though it is one company there are many things that are different at each hospital. The hardest part are the hours and the distance I travel to and from work. I enjoy most of the people that I work with it's just some of the rules and policies that they force us to follow don't make sense. They want us to see more and more pets but at the same time want a skeleton crew to deal with 30 some pets.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Too much work, too few staff, and cut hours.
Busy environment with good benefits
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLFebruary 6, 2017
As a corporate practice there is a lot of bad publicity. Despite the negative output each hospital is its own. I cannot speak for others but I can speak for mine. It is a busy location and there can be a lot of stress however we have great doctors who practice great medicine. They do not charge for everything or test unnecessarily in my opinion. They offer PTO, weekend and late night differential, health insurance, 401k and more. I feel for how busy we our the pay should be a little more. Overall I've had a wonderful experience.
Pros
People, benefits, good medicine, wellness plans
Cons
Busy, corporate hover
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2017
I really enjoy working here and have learned a lot. A typical day includes collecting and running samples, putting in medical notes, restraining pets for the doctor, medication administration, and cleaning. The manager is really quick at getting back to you or answering questions. Love all my co-workers. Hardest part of the job is getting all the notes and labs done quickly while seeing rooms and having multiple pets. The best part of the job is that we see a lot of pets and the benefits are great.
Pros
Benefits such as the plans for my pets.
Cons
Trying to have everything done for drop offs before 3PM
Unstable
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 29, 2016
After being there for 7.5 years (started in June 2009), I only make $12.90.
I am cross-trained to work both as a veterinary assistant and as a receptionist while also being expected to have administrative duties (ordering, training, mentoring, etc.).
It has come to my knowledge that several new hires make more or almost as much as I do with little to no experience.
As a full-time employee, hours can range from 24 to 36 hours--never 40. Hours are not distributed based on seniority or merit. Very unstable and unpredictable!
Loyalty, hard work, and merit are not appreciated in this company.
Benefits
Cons
Hour shortages, Pay
Great way to learn, poor management
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLJanuary 1, 2017
Banfield is a great place for someone needing to get experience as a veterinary assistant. The company also offers wonderful benefits (PTO, health care, discounts) and is flexible with meeting your scheduling needs. Unfortunately, management at one Banfield to another is not consistent. The platform they have for management/chain of command is great, but when you have poor field leadership, it trickles down to your in house management.
Pros
Benefits, Training
Cons
Managment
High stress level, doctors and para staff crying
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 8, 2016
The management is all about numbers she forgets about the real reason we are there. To make a difference! Practice manager is never available to talk to. Falls short on ordering supplies so csc has to do it. You have no time to plan for home life. You get your schedule two days before. Request days off and you still have to hope that one of the favorites didn't ask off too.
Pros
Benefits, working with animals
Cons
No advancement, Stressful, favoritism. Unorganized
December 24, 2016

We appreciate you taking a moment to share your reveiw. In case you didn't know, you have access to resources available at our corporate office, such as our Human Resources team. Our Associate Relations team is also available to you and always willing to listen. We value you and the work that you do for our practice.
-- Banfield Team

Dont get sick dont expect to be trained well
Customer service coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 13, 2016
3 non stop ringing phone lines, lines of people neverending, yoou are expected to know everything with no training job procedures changing daily with no notice. Then they write you up for doing something wrong. miserable. better have documentation if you get sick and pray to god they even look at it. DO NOT TAKE CSC if you want vet assistant. You will never leave this position. I promise you.
Favor showed to specific coworkers who are allowed to break rules others get written up over. You get written up? 6 months before they let you even considering having full time hours. Dont ask for more training or raise a concern about your knowledge or they will lie to you for two weeks, have you work a twelve hour shift and fire you.
Pros
Animals, One hour lunch, Wages.
Cons
No training, Poor communication, Clicky team of people, No praise, Expectations amd procedures change with no notice at all then they write u up for doing it wrong, Lazy staff, Estimates never completed, Chaos.
Fun and friendly environment
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Garfield, NJJanuary 24, 2017
A fun place to work in. My coworkers feel like my family. Occasional frustrations with lack of leadership as well. The work days are long and depending of your position is the lack of respect for your person. We spend the day with wonderful animals, but some of the animals attack, bite, and scratch us. There is way to much drama most of the time and the benefits really do not cover anything.
Pros
experience, animals, fun coworkers
Cons
drama, benefits, lack of stability
Wonderful place to learn
Veterinarian Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 27, 2016
I loved my team. Great doctors, great staff. If you show passion and a drive to learn you will fit right in. My typical day started with surgery prep and getting all of our in house animals settled in and vitals taken. Rooms started around 8. And then a pretty fast paced flow took over the day. Don't be discouraged by all the things you need to learn and to know. With time it will come.
Pros
staff, benefits, pay is decent
Cons
management, the numbers game, work/life balance
December 24, 2016

Thank you for your review and perspective.

Banfield
Shift Lead/Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJanuary 30, 2017
Banfield is a very fast pace environment to work in. Very chaotic at times, and does not tolerate overtime. They tend to hire people who don't always know what they're doing and they don't have a good training program set up. Some people sink and some people swim, due to the fast pace nature.
benefits
Cons
long hours, hard work, chaotic at times
Engaging and fast pace. Takes up a large portion of time.
Veterinary Assistant/Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 6, 2017
Many shifts to be covered. Too many half shifts. Difficult to become full-time if hired part-time. Training takes weeks. Takes years to move up in the company.
Pros
Pet benefits, chance to learn and grow
Cons
Health benefits hard to achieve, terrible work/life balance
Great entry level job
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2016
Banfield is a great company to get your foot in the door, whether it's for front dest, vet assistant/tech, or practice manager. It's solely preventative care so little to no emergencies and clients are highly encouraged to sign up on the wellness plans. Depending on what location you work at depends if they just care about making numbers or actually providing great care for tge pets.
Pros
401k, Health, Dental, flexible schedule, raises every year, animals, hour lunches
Cons
High turn over rate, bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8