Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Great place, but the hours aren't family friendly.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 28, 2015
I really enjoyed my time at Banfield. I loved our team and I would have liked to have stayed, but the shifts are very long and because they're open 7 days a week, it was difficult to get an entire weekend off. I didn't have time for my son, and I'm a widowed single mom. Just because they close at 7pm, it doesn't mean you're leaving at 7pm. Shifts are 12-13 hours long, and many times you're scheduled 3 or more consecutive days. It's very draining and leaves no time for family or personal relationships. Corporate doesn't seem to understand that those shifts make life miserable for those of us with children and spouses.
Pros
Great PTO earned, teaches you great professional and personal skills
Cons
Long shifts, High deductible health insurance, no weekends off without special requests
Great Experience
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLAugust 25, 2015
Banfield is a wonderful company where I was able to learn helpful skills to help with my dream of becoming a veterinarian.
Risk to your license
Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 24, 2015
Greedy management, massive overscheduling is normal, difficult to get time off.Clients always upset because of long waits, because it's difficult for them to to get appointments, and because of high dr turnover. Wellness plans pushed to be sold but not correctly explained making clients angry at you. If you don't sell enough they say you aren't being a 'teamplayer'. This job felt like a high lawsuit risk. Not worth the stress, lack of time with family, or risk to my license. Not what they made it look like when I interviewed. Happier now I have left for a private practice with less sales pressure and better hours.
AVOID.
benefits
Cons
stress, missing family holidays, angry clients all the time, no time for breaks, have to stay late everyday
New system in the work place
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 19, 2015
Client corrdinators inform assistants and doctors about a patient breifly for a appointment. The room assistant helps the tending Doctor perform services. If additional diagnostic testing (i.e. blood, ear swab) are to be done another assistant sometimes helps run them while room assitant and Doctor stay with client and/or patient. After plan and/or treatment information is given to client from the tending Doctor the room asssitant completes all medications and reviews them with client (if needed). Room assitant than check out client and set returning visit. This system was introduced to current clinics recently. The most enjoyable part of the new program is a clinic can see twice as many pets with out the fast burn out of staff. Also the staff are able to clock out closer to scheduled times than before.
Pros
3 free wellnes plans, Petsmart discounts, Mars Discounts
Cons
Scheulding changes last minute (depends on location), Denied PTO (depends on location)
Fun place to work
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  East Hartford, CTAugust 18, 2015
Fast paced a lot to learn, everyday is different. Great place to start in the veterinary field. Multi-tasking is a must.
Fast paced environment, never boring and get to engage with animals all day
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FlAugust 16, 2015
Fast paced work place, get to help pets, learn something new everyday, company focus is making preventative care and wellness affordable and accessible to everyone.
Pros
Healthcare, 401K, PTO, Working with animals
Cons
Long hours, hard work, standing all day
Great for experience, extremely poor work/life balance
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILAugust 14, 2015
Typical day at work: prepare and perform procedures typical for a veterinary assistant/technician, see appointments, assist in surgeries, read laboratory work, educate clients, work with pets

What you learned: great opportunities for learning, if your coworkers are willing to teach you and you are motivated to learn; large volume of patients, so many opportunities to see a variety of cases and practice/perform procedures

Management: high turnover rate for management and staff; management varies from hospital to hospital and can be very poor in some cases; very corporate environment with a huge focus on profit, so great emphasis is placed on sales to clients

Your co-workers: come from a variety of backgrounds; some hard-working, some not; some educated, some not

The hardest part of the job: stress; job can be overwhelming when there is a large volume of work, and usually not enough staff to perform duties or complete work; many late nights; most weekends worked/no work/life balance whatsoever

The most enjoyable part of the job: high degree of responsibility and opportunities to learn or gain experience; high focus on preventive care, which provides pets with a high quality of care in most cases
Pros
great benefits (health, vision, dental, retirement, petsmart, banfield OWPs, other discounts)
Cons
overworked, underpaid, no work/life balance
Productive fast paced practice with passionate employees
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIAugust 13, 2015
While working at Banfield a typical day consisted of greeting clients, reviewing inventory, handling day-to-day operations and maintaining a positive work and client culture. I learned many aspects of veterinarian medicine which was a fresh of breath air. I was responsible for the overall success and client retention of the practice for the Brighton location. My supervisor oversaw the practices in whole for the state of Michigan. We had very little face-to-face interactions but management was available through email and telephone. The hardest part of the job was "selling services". Banfield is a corporate veterinary practice and once they were bought by MARS the prices of care rose. This was an adjustment for our existing clients. What made this easier was my strong veterinarians and veterinarian technicians. They worked hard and were passionate about what they were doing. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with clients, their pets and leading a strong team that truly was passionate.
Pros
Benefits, team members
Cons
busy and productive work place
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne, FLAugust 12, 2015
Busy office with great staff, management is always willing to help you grow and learn new procedures. Great supportive environment.
Fun and fast paced work place; compensation and benefits are lacking with today's standards.
Office Manager - Lead Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woodhaven, MIAugust 8, 2015
A typical day consists of checking in/out clients, scheduling appointments, receiving phone calls. I've learned about many warning signs for an angry or scared pet. The hardest part of the job is when a client loses a dearly loved pet.
Pros
Great co-workers, seeing animals every day
Cons
No more than 2 weeks PTO no matter how long you've worked there; no 401K.
Productive nice place to work
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 8, 2015
I worked from 5-11 Monday - Friday. The job was pretty fast paced. I worked as a receptionist where I answered phones, check patients in and out, and sanitized rooms,
Broken Hospital
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 7, 2015
If your looking for a fulltime but your hours are cut every week because of low client flow, aren't worried about money? Well this job is for you. Practice Manager at this location is passive aggresive, and disrespectful, the pay is low for the amount of responsibility, they do not train you properly, the lead doctor is a slob, lazy and very unethical, the positive side is you get to work with animals but you begin to lose motivation because of how money hungry the hospital is. All they want you to do is sell sell and sell. This hospital is broken beyond repair. Not all banfield are bad, but this in particular has had 7 people quit because of the Practice manager bad and lazy managing. Your sanity is not worth it.
Pros
Free wellness plans, work with animals
Cons
Bad manager, unethical doctor, no fulltime hours. High school drama between employees.
Creating a idealistic place of business
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria,VaAugust 7, 2015
Everyday was innovative. There was a a great deal of creativity being used to make the job efficient. We learned how to also use the place of business as a one-stop shop for the customers. Working as a coordinator required a great deal of leadership skills. The most challenging thing was making sure everything was all in order when there was short staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure everybody needs were met.
Pros
convenient location
Cons
short staff, unable to advance
Banfield can be a very family orient
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCAugust 7, 2015
doing my experience at banfield i learn that things are total different then working for or with the healthcare system.
Pros
free OWP for pets up to threee
Cons
can't get over 36 hours
Tough place to work for
Vet Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, MIAugust 7, 2015
typical day: work 7-7

what i learned: how to read ear cytologies

Management: there was no manager, just a head doctor who belittled any associate when given the chance. They were a very bitter person.

Coworkers: coworkers were great! Very supportive of each other and taught each other new things.

Hardest part of job: No work/life balance at all. Working under a bitter person, I left work crying on more than one occasion.

Most enjoyable: Helping animals and seeing happy clients.
Pros
animals, decent pay, great discount
Cons
sometimes did not receive a break, horrible boss
Don't even bother
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CaliforniaAugust 6, 2015
Unless you're straight out of school and in desperate need of a job seriously Don't bother. Banfield is basically a small world in it's own. Everyone knows each other and the a** kissers get advanced and the hard workers stay where they're at because they're good at the job. The pay is extremely low ($11-12). If you start out as an assistant and get advanced to RVT they only give you a raise of $2. And for those of you who took out loans and such for college knows that will NOT pay the bills. All the company cares about is selling wellness plans. Even if you're amazing at sales, there's no incentive except for the company. They don't give you any extra bonuses on how well you sell so what's the point? You have to give an arm and a leg to even try and get a raise. They also don't give you the training you need and expect you to know how everything is done. Co-workers were barely helpful and just got annoyed. Go somewhere you will be respected and make the money you deserve.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
hard work for low pay, miserable co-workers, bad management
not a clam place to work
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Watchung, NJAugust 6, 2015
got along with the co-workers but too much favoritism at the work coming from the manager and some of the doctors. People complaining about other co-workers and other people moving up in pay that's been there less time that i have. I worked there for almost six years and other people that's been there for only a year got a hire raise then i did. It all comes down to the favoritism. It was too stressful.
Pros
medical benefits are great
Cons
management not good
Hard working
Front Desk Receptionist/ Pet Nurse (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 5, 2015
I had an amazing experience with my co workers they are an amazing group of people. The doctors are amazing they treated me as a team player and like family. My chief of staff is just incredible. I left the job with a great friendship with my fellow co workers and the doctors.
Pros
Free benefits for your pets
Cons
standing without sitting, you will get written up
Fun place to work
PCA/VT – Pet Care Assistant/Vet Technician (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLAugust 4, 2015
Banfield can be a fun place to work until they expect you to put your life on hold. They claim that you are a full-time worker, yet you only see maybe 25 hours a week if you're lucky. If you upset the Shift Manager, you can expect to have your meager 25 hours cut in half or more.
Pros
Get to work with pets!
Cons
Pay is horrid. Hours are horrid. Good if you're retired and only need PT.
Productive Workplace
Pet Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 3, 2015
I liked Banfield as a part time job but it is not the ideal clinic for myself. Everyone there is very hardworking and caring for the pets. My time spent here was good and helpful.