Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Great starter position
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJanuary 11, 2017
The benefits are great and hard to beat but the culture is poor. I was constantly pushed to do more, see more and make more and was not supported in this! No overtime for nurses and you only get 1! How can you practice Quality medicine without staff and support?
They push development and training but those that do get promoted are overworked (>55hrsper week) and still get paid the same as an associate.So basically you are used by the company as a manager and see no benefit to you. The medical directors, field directors and chief of staffs are let go regularly for not meeting the metrics or set business goals set out for them. They have no loyalty to their employees what so ever, you are justs a cog in a wheel and replaceable. They are great for development and early learning for Doctors but do not recommend advancement.
Pros
OWP for pets, benefits
Cons
hours, compensation, para support, leadership, job security, work-life balance
80% excellent experience
Registered Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 16, 2016
Overall experience is great. I can have a lunch majority of the time. I am getting the experience I needed. I was able to improve my surgery skills, blood draws, and iv catheter placements. I understand that no job is perfect. Every place has their cons. One of those cons is the work schedule is never the same and changes on a weekly basis, which there are times that I do not get my work schedule until a week in advanced. I am allowed to go home for Christmas and that is important to me.
Pros
experience
Cons
hours never the same

Comment – October 14, 2016

Thank you for your kind review! We agree, Banfield is a great place to work. And, if you haven't already - we encourage you to share your concerns around your work schedule with your hospital leadership. Thank you again for your dedication to our practice!

-- Banfied Pet Hospital

Company focus, unfortunately, is on revenue rather than the practice of good medicine. That leads to high staff burn out and eventual turnover.
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 29, 2016
Little focus on staff well-being, Due to high turnover, tend to hire vets right out of school with little practical experience. Practice Managers try to hire and bring on the best talent, but the demands are too focused on revenue gains that cause managers to come and go too frequently.

Focus is so strong on revenue that managers are asked to go out and solicit retail clients with discount coupons to come in for veterinarian visits. Imagine a dentist leaving coupons for potential clients at the mall!

Continuity is lacking and it affects staffing and pet care can be inconsistent as a result.
Pros
800-900 hospitals
Cons
Daily goals to see 22+ pets per doctor per day is the wrong focus.

Comment – October 14, 2016

Thank you for your review. We appreciate when associates take the time to voice their concerns and we understand that our hospital associates work very hard. Associate engagement is extremely important to our practice and we are continuously working to improve our associate experience. If you have not done so already, you are encouraged to share your concerns with your local leadership. Additionally, our corporate office is available to provide support as well. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to our practice.

-- Banfield Pet Hospital

Management does not really know what they are doing.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  The Colony, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Management doesn't really know what they are doing when it comes to compensation or helping their employees. They will start someone brand new with no experience almost two dollars higher than someone who has been there for 2 years.
Veterinary Technician CVT
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 12, 2016
Love the staff and clients. Days are long but rewarding. Great for beginners to advanced skill set. Depending on doctors can see emergency appt and/or surgeries. I've been with the company for under 1 yr and have teched for GDVs, foreign bodies, cystotomies and mass/tumor removals. I have also learned dental radiographs due to our hospitals abilities.
Pros
1 hr lunches, great team, and ability to learn
Cons
Over worked and short staffed

Comment – October 14, 2016

Thank you for sharing your review of your experience with Banfield thus far. Your hard work and dedication to the practice is appreciated.

I love what I do.
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXAugust 9, 2016
I truly love what I do, working with animal is a great passion of mine. One of my favorite things about coming to work, is being able to see my team, I have one of the greatest teams around, we work together and the communication is outstanding. A typical day at banfield is arriving at 7am, taking in my drop off pets, then after the doctor arrives, we work through our board of drop offs until they are ready to go home, then on to the room appointments. If I could change anything about it, it would to make it less of a corporation.
Pros
Free wellness plans for my animals.
Cons
Health care is not very good, hours are not available .

Comment – October 14, 2016

Thank you for sharing your insight. We are always working to improve and appreciate when associates share their perspective. Thank you for your hard work and dedication.

Great place
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLNovember 5, 2016
My favorite part of the day is going to work. however since I work in a new hosspital im getting less than 30 hours a week for a full time position whcih is upsetting. so now im forced to look for another job on top of a full time which should not be the case
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not enough hours

Comment – December 24, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your continued commitment to our practice. If you haven't done so already, we encourage you to express any concerns around hours/staffing with your practice manager, local leadership or any of us here at the corporate office. We're always willing to listen!

Excellent Doctors and Staff
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WADecember 24, 2016
Awesome staff! Extremely talented DVM's, LVT's and VA's. Highly competitive compensation and generous benefits package with short probationary period. Job entails long hours with overbooked schedule daily. Extremely late departures are frequent.
Productive and fun workplace if you love animals
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Everyone is really friendly and nice at the Banfield pet hospital is a very good opportunity to get experience and get to meet a lot of wonderful people I know this because I did my externship there
Pros
Cant save every pet
Cons
Healthcare
Requires high energy level, culture is phenomenal!
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 6, 2016
10/10 would recommend to anyone who cares about giving their all for their patients. Banfield Pet Hospitals are known for the Optimum Wellness Plans - year-long preventative care plans that are extremely affordable and provide high quality care that should be standard across the veterinary field.
Pros
Awesome benefits, short work weeks
Cons
Open late Saturdays and open Sundays

Comment – October 14, 2016

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your time with Banfield! We wish you all the best and hope you'll stay in contact.

Fast Food Medicine
Client Service Coordinator & Vet Assistant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 5, 2016
Banfield's para-professional staff and the doctors they hire are fantastic individuals to work with. However, the managers and market leadership are so business driven that the quality of medicine suffers because the doctors are overworked to the point where they often suffer emotional breakdowns at work. I've seen multiple doctors cry on a regular basis at the hospital because of the extreme stress and the turn-over rate is ridiculously high. When these issues were brought to field leadership, there was little to no intervention or support from them. Banfield is essentially fast food medicine: they want to get as many pets seen and generate as much revenue as is possible regardless of the needs and well-being of the hospital staff.
Pros
Discounted wellness plans for associates
Cons
High turnover, little to no support from upper management, little opportunities for growth

Comment – December 24, 2016

Thank you for your review. We are continuously striving to provide the highest quality medicine, boost associate engagement and the well-being of all of our associates, and your review helps us in our efforts. We have dedicated teams at our corporate headquarters that place support in each of those categories. It is unfortunate to read that you did not feel supported by your field leadership and that you didn't feel that your voices were heard. We appreciate your feedback.

productive and fun staff
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CASeptember 20, 2016
always busy
Learned how to multitask
managers always try to help you with scheduling
co-workers are friendly and helpful
it gets super busy absolutely important how to time manage everything and multitask
clients seem very satisfied with staff
Pros
Lunch is an hour long
Cons
all about selling plans

Comment – December 24, 2016

Thank you for posting about your Banfield experience! We appreciate your taking the time to write. All the best with your future endeavors.
-- Banfield Team

Productive fun place to work
Receptionist/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Oviedo, FLDecember 9, 2016
Great place to work, had a wonderful experience. I had many responsibilities and was able to move up thru the company. I started as a receptionist and became a Veterinary Assistant and then was promoted to Assistant Practice Manager.
Expects too much for too little
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2016
Banfield has a great product/service but has a flawed business model. People are not compensated well enough to get decent staff. Constantly under staffed. Too much pressure on employees where critical mistakes can be made easily.
Pros
Work that you actually care about, working with animals
Cons
No work life balance, low pay, high expectations, not enough support
Fast paced and challenging workplace
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  O'fallon, MOSeptember 7, 2016
Banfield presented lot of opportunities to grow as an individual and every one was always very happy to teach. I loved working with individuals that knew how to laugh and have fun while on the job as well as being open to different people.
Pros
Job advancement and personal growth

Comment – October 14, 2016

At Banfield, associate growth and development is a strong focus for us and we're pleased to hear you received such opportunities! Thank you for your contributions to our practice and we wish you all the best.

- Banfield Pet Hospital

Productive but not much for growth in company
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 16, 2016
The day to day work is gratifying and being able to see the difference in pets lives is great, but the company as a whole does not offer much in growth. Same work day in and day out.
benefits
Cons
no room for professional growth
Not the best
Lead Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 14, 2016
The amount of tasks VAs are expected to perform daily makes it too stressful and not the rewarding job it can be. Clients are also very difficult/rude.
Pros
employee benefits- free wellness plans, PTO, insurance
Cons
long hours, stressful environment, management
A fun place to work!!!
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GASeptember 18, 2016
Working with Banfield is truly a fun place to be. Doesn't feel like work if you're having fun! The cute puppies and sweet pets are the best. We work as a team and bring the best out of each other. Banfield Associates TRULY CARE.# Mcdonough, GA location
Pros
loving/caring environment
Cons
too many "bosses"

Comment – December 24, 2016

Thank you for your kind review! We value feedback such as yours.

-- Banfield Team

Fast paced work environment, passionate field
Client Services Coordinator/Vet Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJanuary 6, 2017
Banfield Pet Hospital fosters a caring quality approach to Animal Medicine; however the company leads you to believe in full cross training and advancement, but rarely follows through.
Consistent place to work
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 26, 2016
Great place to start when getting into the veterinary field. Friendly coworkers and good team work. The company does care about the people and about quality medicine.
Pros
Discounts, great medical benefits, 401K, PTO, Holiday hours
Cons
Poor work life environment, sales pressure

Comment – December 24, 2016

Thank you for taking some time to share your perspective about working at Banfield. We appreciate all that you do for our clients and their pets!
-- Banfield Team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8