Banfield Pet Hospital Employee Reviews

Great Company
Field Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 24, 2017
Great people. Great company. Providing exceptional medical care for your pets.

I still bring my pets here for care.

Great development programs to grow your doctors into strong doctors with business skills.
Pros
free care for your pets
Cons
high turnover
great benefits
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 24, 2017
dogs owp plan is included and great company hours if you really need hours you can hop from location to location. They are really nice at my location. banfield has great learning tools you can really utilize
benefits
Cons
short staffed
i enjoyed working with the animales when i chould
Pet Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 21, 2017
I think that is was a good work place. I don't know why i did not fit in there. I tried to nice to everyone and learn what ever I could and pick up quickly. I fell that it did not go unnoticed. I had to quite because i could not pay my bills.
Great learning Experience
Client Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 21, 2017
The job provides you with the ability to learn animal medicine while also strengthening your leadership, client management and organizational skills. For my location, the hospital does tend to get a little crazy however its' been a blessing working there.
Pros
Long lunches, Pto, Floating Holidays
Cons
Vet's temperment, overbookes, short staffed
No advancement
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHMarch 19, 2017
Great job if you're looking to learn a veterinarian hospital set up and learning the medical field requirements. Unfortunately, however, the company's too big for its own good and corporate doesn't understand the needs of each individual hospital. Based on this, because the hospital feels very money driven the important part of how the hospital, its employees, are left without any saying when it comes to fixing the internal job issues such as wages, hours and equal treatment of the employees.
Pros
Guaranteed Lunch Hours if you work as the receptionist, not so much as the nurses or Doctors
Cons
Definite and visible separation and disregard of the "Receptionists" vs. the medical staff.
Fun, amazing place to work at
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 15, 2017
Love making connections with the patients and their "parents". Gained a lot of knowledge from years of working here. Great place to work for and fun but down to business when need be.
made good friends here
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 15, 2017
Fun place to work for entry level employees. Must enjoy sales to work here though. Can be very fast paced and stressful. Top notch customer service is needed.
May 11, 2017

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy you were able to make some good friends during your time working at Banfield; that is definitely a perk! You are correct, we do have a very busy practice and despite that, we're glad you had a positive experience with us. Wishing you all the best!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Low cost preventive care services
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYMarch 14, 2017
Great benefits and flexible hours/shifts. Great way to hone in on skills, enjoy educating clients on preventive care manners. Learn a lot from fellow employees. Build long lasting friendships outside of the hospital.
Pros
Many adorable and loving patients
May 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at Banfield. Creating bonds with fellow associates is definitely a wonderful perk of the job! It is great to be able to offer wonderful learning environments where many associates are always willing to mentor and help out. Thanks again for your review.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Summary
Receptionist/Veterinarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 14, 2017
Banfield is a great company to work for. It has very great training programs and computer lessons that help you prepare for what the company expects as far as job duties.
Pros
hours lunches
Cons
distance
May 11, 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback, and we have to agree that Banfield is a great company to work for! We wish you success in all your endeavors.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Very busy hospital but with a great environment
Pet Care Assistant/Nurse/Reception (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLMarch 13, 2017
They do a great job at training new workers. Friendly work space and kept very clean and disinfected everyday. Give the workers opportunities to move up with the company.
Pros
Getting to help animals
Cons
No benefits
May 11, 2017

Thank you for your posting your review.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Want to know more about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Ask a question
Excellent teaching staff that has helped me grow as a veterinary assistant
VA Externship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2017
Every day was a learning experience, they've always challenged me by testing me on what I know and motivated me to be my best. The staff were very detailed/patient when they were teaching me and made me feel welcomed every time I stepped foot into the hospital. I couldn't have asked for a better externship site.
May 10, 2017

We appreciate you taking a moment to share about your learning experience with our practice. It's so great to hear that you had an excellent experience with our dedicated hospital associates and that you felt motivated and challenged. We wish you all the best through the rest of your veterinary assistant education.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Team oriented and goal achievement
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 12, 2017
Great atmosphere of teamwork and team-oriented goals. Workplace is dynamic and challenging; Fast-paced. Extensive opportunity for animal health experience and customer service.
Pros
Dynamic, fast-paced, challenging, learning opportunities
Cons
Stressful during peak hours and in achieving sales goals
May 10, 2017

We appreciate your positive and balanced perspective during your time working at Banfield. We wish you all the best.

Its ok.
Temporary Wellness Plan Representative (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 10, 2017
They have cheap candy and Ice machines. It was ok to work there. people are cool mostly. I wouldn't wanna work there again. It's in a sketchy area of Portland.
Pros
cheap food and candy
Cons
bad neighborhood
For animal lovers only
Veterinary Assistant/Technician/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 9, 2017
I wasn't paid a lot and there was no opportunity for growth because you would get excuses like " we can't afford to paid you for that position ". No benefits besides a free wellness plan. They worked a around everyone's schedule which was good and bad because we were constantly short handed. Your days are either really busy or not busy at all. Corporate would constantly complain about us not reaching there unrealistic goals. The company has absolutely no loyalty to anyone. I worked at a franchise and when corporate bought out the hospital I worked at they fired 11 of 14 people who worked there including 2 doctors and when the Banfeild a few miles away from us got bought out the company fired all of them. Being a good employee means nothing they only care about number. Not a bad place to work but just know there's no job security everyone is expendable.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay, no over time or holiday pay, no holidays off, no opportunity for grow, no job security
N/a
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMarch 8, 2017
Hard work and dedication will pay off for the love and passion that exists for the animals. You're able to do a lot more than expected. If you love animals and enjoy working with them, you'll love what you do.
May 10, 2017

We appreciate your comments and all that you have done for our practice. We wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Preventive Care Clinic
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, COMarch 8, 2017
Good work environment. Performed multiple tasks throughout the day. Assisting with all patient care, educating clients, and general customer services.
May 10, 2017

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts about your experience working at Banfield!

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

You learn a lot, but be prepared to bow down to corporate!
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMarch 7, 2017
I worked at Banfield for 4 years, and I just recently left to pursue another career. Working at Banfield, I learned a LOT in terms of veterinary care: using lab instruments, drawing blood, handling pets, etc, and pay is decent as well. My hospital was a tight-knit group for many years and felt like a second family. The doctors are wonderful and try to do what's best for the client and the pets. HOWEVER, corporate management is all about the money and numbers!!! Even our practice manager was this way. Toward the end of my employment at Banfield, the quality of care given deteriorated exponentially, due to the fact that upper management only cared about the bottom line and they forced our hospital to comply to large numbers of pets, with no regard to the quality of care given. They stretch the doctors very thin to comply with large numbers of pets seen, and they force every hospital to see EVERY pet that walks in the door, no matter what time it is. It could be 6:59 (we closed at 7) and if a pet walked in, we had to see it. Not only upper management, but even other fellow vet assistants and techs were this way, "sucking up" to management in order to further their advancement. I believe Banfield, if this mindset is continued, will go downhill from here. They have already been hemorrhaging money due to upper management and doctor turnover, and other internal disarray. I do not recommend working at Banfield solely for advancement if you are looking for a management position (unless you are one of those who only cares about quantity, not quality). I WOULD recommend Banfield to gain  more... knowledge if your desire is to be a tech or veterinary assistant, because you will learn a lot and utilize your knowledge on the job.  less
Pros
Will learn a lot on the job, doctors are awesome
Cons
Upper management only cares about money and profits and several employees are "drinking the koolaid"
May 10, 2017

Thank you for your review. It's so great to hear your perspective about our positive learning environment. We agree that we have a dedicated and terrific group of doctors and their teams who love what they do and are committed to our clients and their pets. Our associates do work very hard, but that hard work should not be at the expense of quality medicine and/or associate and client experience. Unfortunately turnover is something that comes with any business and as a practice, we are always working to improve associate experiences within our hospitals. Additionally, as a corporate business, there is an element to making money so we can continue to grow and provide additional resources for our practice. We thank you for your 4 years of service and wish you all the best in your career!

Busy and fun at times
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 6, 2017
It was fun at times and I liked the experience I gained working there, however, I wouldn't want to work for Banfield again. They were very disorganized and not always honest with their clients.
Pros
social, learning, busy
Cons
unorganized
May 10, 2017

Thank you for your review. We wish you the best in your endeavors.

A typical day at work
Pet Nurse/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 27, 2017
I would come in and get straight to what I would have to do after greeting everyone. I learned a lot about caring for pets and how much their owners truly saw them as their family. Management was nice and approachable when you had concerns. The workplace culture was normal. There was no hardest part of the job. I loved and enjoyed everything about that job.
May 10, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your perspective about your time working at Banfield. We are glad that your experience was positive. All the best to you!

Associate Veterinarian
Associate Veterinarian (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLFebruary 23, 2017
I've really enjoyed a good work/life balance with good compensation, but continued advancement is difficult with the leadership structure. Also, despite good starting salary and benefits - the production compensation lay out isn't very good. I did practice quality medicine with a high standard of care, but I feel that is very much hospital-to hospital. The same quality goes for regional management. My biggest complaint is lack of advancement potential and the propensity to get a bit bored.
Pros
Quality medicine, compensation
Cons
Career advancement, boredom, bonus structure
May 10, 2017

We appreciate you taking a moment to share your review. As a practice, we are continuously reviewing compensation, bonus structures, production pay, and associate benefits as ways to improve our associate experience so your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your contributions to quality care and our practice.

--- Banfield Pet Hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banfield Pet Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9