Bank Midwest Employee Reviews

Loved my co-workers, Hated Corporate.
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Macon, MOAugust 27, 2014
I worked for this bank right after they switched owners and I have never been happy with the way the Kansas City area managers/upper management has handled situations in our small town branch. Every product and decision is always based off the KC area and they take no consideration about what might work best for the area that the banking centers are actually located. They are absolutely only concerned with meeting goals and making those numbers-not about providing good client services. 98% of your job requires you to refer products to clients to gain new business and make the company more money, even if that means pushing a product on a client that would be better off without it. It's very uncomfortable. Tellers, in my opinion, are held responsible for way too much as well and they take the biggest risks and the biggest falls.
Pros
enjoyable staff, good hours
Cons
corporate based company, employees aren't treated as important
The Life of a Teller
Teller (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 16, 2014
I learned a lot from being a bank teller. I learned how to read people. I learned how to handle customers under pressure. I also learned how to treat other employees. I had a variety of different managers and supervisors who all brought something new to the table. I learned that if you are not early you are late, which was a great lesson to learn!
I loved all my coworkers and they all loved me. I loved how hard my manager was on me because it showed me he knew i had the potential to do greater things.
The banking industry is very professional and very personal. These two things are what I enjoyed the most. Knowing that my client trusted me with their money was a great feeling and helped build great relationships. My least favorite part of the job was scanning the work at the end of the night. Overall I loved working in a bank setting, it has a lot of great benefits and perks.
Pros
benefits, every holiday off, professionalism
Cons
standing all day, scanning work
Great staff and wage-earning work
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 20, 2014
Friendly staff, continuously busy, mood is always light but staff if always alert. I have learned work scanning, data entry, cash balancing, debit card ordering, check ordering, inventory count, inventory organization, vault balancing, money orders, cashiers checks, cash advancements, CTR filings, hold placements, fraud suspicion, client services, client satisfaction, and much more. The hardest part of the job was learning to form sentences structured on client satisfaction while keeping procedures on a need-to-know basis only and meeting referral requirements (Excelsior Springs is a small town)
Pros
consistent schedule, teamwork oriented staff
Cons
communication from other departments
Bank Midwest
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSMay 1, 2013
A typical day at the location I am currently working at is very slow as far as traffic. We are surrounded by multiple banks in a small area. Working their has taught me to get creative to reach my goals and help me better my leadership role. The hardest part of the job is the re-ocurring customers and trying to make sales to them. They tend to get tired of us asking. Myself and my co-workers work well together and try to make the environment fun while we get our job done.
Pros
fun environment and we all get along very well.
Cons
hard to advance.
Lacking experience in rural branch growth opportunities.
PERSONAL BANKER (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MOSeptember 4, 2012
Bank Midwest was going through rough times while I worked there. They were bought out by NBH Holding Company. I am very stimulated by growth in sales. Being in an environment that was under that type of crisis was hard. Having the right employees in place is key for growth. I have met members of the new Holding Company at a Manager's Meeting, and I do feel that they will be very successful.
Pros
large bank with lots of opportunity
Cons
team players, knowledge in management
Horrible
Teller Supervisor/Mobile Banker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 18, 2014
Before BMW took over was a great place people cared about staff, after nothing was more important than pushing out former Hillcrest employees and making that dollar. Always had to push some type of sale on customers whether it was needed or not. Not my idea of good customer service.
Pros
vacation and sick time
Cons
not able to advance, if not former bmw employee you were considered a weak link and pushed out, (regional manager told their banking center manager's to do that)
Great way to be a part of the local community.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMarch 5, 2013
I enjoyed my job at Bank Midwest very much. Great work atmospere, fast paced and challenging. My favorite part of the job is building relationships with customers and the community. Management is fair and honest. I learned alot about handling large amounts of currency under dual controls.
Pros
close to home
Cons
long hours on your feet
Company needs improvement
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Savannah, MOApril 8, 2013
Working at the branch was an enjoyable experience. Co-workers and clients are supportive and a joy.
Upper management is not engaged with the smaller branches and sets goals that are unattainable.
Company does not equip the small branches with the tools they need to be successful.
Pros
fellow employees, benefits
Cons
schedule, compensation
Reviewing co-workers work for accuracy.
Commercial Post Closing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2015
A typical day would be to review co-workers work for accuracy. Review errors with them and help coach. I was the supervisor of 13 great employees. The hardest part of my job was that it wasn't challenging. Enjoyed working side by side with my manager and group of employees.
Cons
Not a challenging job.
Very sales oriented. Good Management & training.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 20, 2012
Overall this is a good company to work for. The management team strives to help employees by coaching & being leaders for sales activities. Hours of operation are undesirable but good for the customers. Products are good.
Pros
lots of training & encouragement
Cons
hours
Have enjoyed my Retirement Banker position very much.
Retirement Banker/Asst Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 10, 2013
I am not impressed with the way BMW has handled the decision to close the Retirement Center Bank locations.
Pros
great works hours, awesome supervisor. lovely customers
Cons
decision to close the centers
Very Stressful Environment
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 20, 2013
Regional Managers are hard to please. Consistently micro-managing. Sales goals must be met, period!!!! Customer service doesn't mean much to this company, only sales and fee income.
Pros
nice customers
Cons
micro-managing, and sales above all else.
Enjoyed the "new and growing" atmosphere.
Commercial Post-closing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 19, 2014
I worked here when things were constantly changing as new owners were changing processes and the overall image. The work was challenging and I felt my opinion was considered in ways to make things better.
Busy call center work environment
Client Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 20, 2012
Receiving inbound customer service calls in regards to bank clients who has questions or issues involving their bank account.
Pros
being able to assist people with their various issues
Cons
too repetitive
Great learning experience and relationships maintained
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 11, 2015
It was good experience and I got to speak Spanish and see how I would function in the workplace and see what I could do better in terms of communicating and bridging the language gap.
TERRIBLE
Full Time - Teller (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOOctober 16, 2013
Management is terrible, you have to stand all day AND hours are long. Not an enjoyable place to work at all.
Pros
large bank, well known name, great health care.
Cons
expensive health care, standing all day, terrible management.
Very nice place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MODecember 11, 2012
Providing customer service to the members in their day to day needs of banking.
Learned how manage accounts.
What I liked most was the face to face contact with the customers
Pros
nice hours
Cons
salary compensation
Personal Banker
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOFebruary 10, 2015
Personal Banker at Bank Midwest. Sell consumer/small business banking products and services to clients and prospects.
Achieve specific sales and service goals on a quarterly and annual basis
Excellent Employment Opportunity
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 9, 2012
It was interesting to be responsible for upgrading every branch of Bank Midwest here in Kansas City, Mo
Pros
very nice management
Cons
short term
was a very uncomfortable working environment
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 12, 2013
I would not recommend working for a company that pushes you in to lying to the public to get their business.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything