Bank Mutual Employee Reviews

Great place for dedicated employees
Division Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corporate HeadquartersJune 26, 2016
Bank Mutual provides a professional, consistent, and challenging work environment. For someone who is dedicated and willing to work hard, it can be very rewarding.
Pros
Professional environment with good benefits
great atmosphere to work in
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIMay 25, 2016
being at this company as a whole is a very great company to be in. there are slow times in the company's pace, but the work environment is very enjoyable. the staff is always friendly and everyone gets along greatly.
Traditional company, traditional beliefs
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 6, 2016
Expect to work at a place with a lot of work place politics and no real direction or focus. Their goals and management change often. A common practice was to attempt to steal employees from more successful banks.
Very fun laid back kind of atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hudson, WIOctober 25, 2015
It was very slow but it gave me a lot of time to learn more things about other positions for when the opportunity came for advancement I was able to have the skills to achieve.
Terrible management, with no chance of advancement
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 8, 2015
Corporate refuses to help out in the local community at all, every new product introduced is not tested before being put out. Computers are constantly running slow due to cut backs. Banks cannot get proper handicap doors for customers because of cost. The only chance you have at advancement is hoping someone else leaves because you cannot learn more responsibilities until you are in that position.
Pros
Vacation time
Good company, so so benefits, needs a technology infusion
Assistant Vice-President, Branch Office Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 17, 2015
The company is a good company to work for. Compensation seems to be a bit lower than that of competitors. The strong point for this company is the mortgage lending area. The consumer lending area needs some revamping.

If you are looking for a company that does not put a lot of pressure on you this is a good fit. They do need to update some of their technology. They are getting more competitive with compensation plans.
Overall branch operations and tasks
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee wiApril 28, 2014
Every morning we would have a branch meeting to go over branch numbers and assign daily goals. I personally would average about 3 Business appointments per day.
I would sit down with each banker and set the expectations for the day. Go over any information whether it was new updates or new contests with the Assistant Manager.
Typically mid day we all would discuss how the day was going and give everyone a chance to reset their daily goals that were more measurable.
At the end of the day we would share successes, what worked and what didn't.
Pros
managing a team, flexiable sceduling and achieving goals
Cons
the hardest part would be when i have to terminate an employee
Wonderful place to work
Bank Office Training Coordinator, Promotion (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WIAugust 6, 2012
There really wasn't a "typical" day. My time consisted of training plans, calendars, promotion requirements, class reminders, updating training material, being responsible for bank employee compliance training, keeping employee files current, going through fraud reports, providing phone support for front desk or Executive Office when needed, meetings to attend, and making travel arrangements. My co-workers were wonderful and supportive.
Pros
great people to work with - in any department
Nice place to work.
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2014
Pleasant atmosphere to work in. Training very thorough. Processed loans to be submitted to Underwriting for final approval. Nice people to work with. The hardest part of the job was load balance, understaffing caused over working at times. Most enjoyable was the relationships formed with co-worker and loan officers. relaxed atmosphere.
benefits
Cons
not casual or flexible
Great job.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Peshtigo, WIDecember 21, 2013
I was hired by First Northern Bank & Trust. It merged with Mutual Savings. I was the annuity specialist and sold over a million dollars in just 4 months. I was then told I would get less commission and no commission on inside money. This was unacceptable for me. My job became quite unbearable. Again, everyone that was from First Northern lost their job.
A bad manager can ruin everything
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 23, 2013
I worked for Bank Mutual for over 6 years under 3 permanent managers and several floating managers. The last manager was so bad that 5 people at our branch alone (including me) left because of him and I heard that the same happened at the last branch he managed. Before him everything was great and we had a wonderful team. The customers loved us and some of them came to our branch instead of branches further away because of our team. He is still there and upper management refuses to acknowledge there is a problem even though they lost some wonderful people - hardworking, dedicated people. How stupid! I still like Bank Mutual because they gave me a chance when I had no teller experience but I think some of their upper people are not effective. The compensation was not great but no worse than other area banks.
Pros
depending on the team the work can be wonderful.
Cons
compensation is so-so, and a bad manager can ruin everything.
Decent place to work
Branch Manager/Assistant VP (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 3, 2013
Decent place to work but most employees are underpaid compared to competition.
Pros
growth, bank is improving, no layoffs.
Cons
slow with technology improvements, underpaid
great place to work outside
Teller and Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIFebruary 12, 2014
great work environment
had a great staff to work with
loved working there
I managed a great group
A day in the life of a Senior Licensed Banker
Senior Licensed Banker (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIApril 23, 2013
My work day varies but my job duties normally include opening and closing accounts. Helping people with retirement. Selling annuities. Training the tellers for advancement. Opening or closing, buying selling cash for vault. Overrides for tellers. Assisting the Commercial dept. with their clients needs. Also assisting the corporate office with training other Licensed Bankers. Business Development and calling on new customers etc.
Most of the staff is still new with us do to transfers with existing employees. I am still teaching them the day to day production, who to call for help at corp. and also starting to talk about sales and goals.
I love working with people and pride myself on the strong relationships that I have created with my customers. Most I have known for my entire time there and they have gown to be like family.
My office currently is extremely short staffed. We don't have a supervisor and there is normally two Licensed Bankers. It's really only the manager and myself so I would say the hardest part of my job right now is wearing many hats. Being the supervisor when the tellers need cash etc. Being the manager when she isn't available and also taking on the work of load of what normally would be two Licensed Bankers. I have a great branch and we are a true team! It challenges me but I enjoy the challenge and even though it can be stressful I am so grateful for learning other aspects of the job that I normally wouldn't have.
I have been creating many creative ways to keep the staff together as a team. Outings after work but mainly creating contests and having 1-on-1
  more... meetings with each of them to make sure that everyone is on the same page.
A strong branch is not possible without a strong team!
Pros
customer realationship, branch size team
Cons
computer malfunctions
meh
supervisor (Former Employee) –  wisconsinDecember 6, 2012
A typical day at work at a branch is most likely going to be very slow. On average I would have a customer about every ten minutes, but there were times where you would wait an hour for someone to come in. My direct manager was really great, but higher up there are some very old school thinkers, and not a lot of innovation in the company technology wise. Co-workers were awesome, but when you sit around most of the day you have a lot of time to get to know them. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the regular customers (the normal ones) and my co workers. The hardest part of the job was honestly the little amount of time they give you for vacation. After a year you gain 10 days of vacation, plus some extras for personal time (which you need to list on your timesheet what you were doing on that time). I know 10 days might seem like a lot to some people, but having worked for other companies that gave you four weeks right off the bat, it's a little different.

First year there I had 4 days that I was granted off and a little bit of personal time. That is not a lot of time especially because I started during the first quarter. Although it is not tough work, it does get old doing nothing a lot of the time, and not being able to have a day off makes you a little crazy.

Little room for advancement, outdated ideas from top level management, technology and procedures seemed dated. It seemed as if any minor change in how things were preformed cause a major uproar from basic staff that had been there for years.

If you have worked in banking this is either a step
  more... ahead (from small town) or a big step down (ex, associated, U.S., wells fargo).

Sales were not stressful, but could still be difficult on days where you helped the same people you always saw.

Benefits also didn't kick in right away like a lot of bigger companies. Three months for health insurance, also 401k was not eligible till after a year of service and then you still had to wait for an enrollment period in jan/july. Not great matching on retirement either.

If you are just looking for part time for something to do or are a college student, great place. If you actually want to feel like you are doing work and making a difference look elsewhere. I loved the time I spent with my co-workers, but not being productive because there was literally nothing to do after you cleaned for the 100th time, can really weigh on you.
Pros
a lot of down time, good people, small sales goals
Cons
a lot of down time, technology

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8