Bank Of America Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,014 reviews matching the search
Good work life balance once beyond call centers - poor retainment of best employees
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 28, 2016
I worked for Bank of America for over 9 years and reflecting back on my career there I wish I left sooner. Starting in an entry level role I found the pay and vacation was above average but the work/life balance was poor. It was very difficult to take the time off desired and have the schedule that fit my life. Once I moved into mid/upper level positions this changed. I was able to take the time I wanted/needed but worked in a state of fear for having my position eliminated. Every fall and spring there was another round of layoffs and it always seemed like the people let go were the ones who worked hard and were assets to the company.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits at entry level
Cons
company does not retain best associates, no job security
Great place to work with opportunity to learn and grow.
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 29, 2016
Bank of America can provide a multitude of growth and development, most which requires independent initiation. Excellent source for networking and Career Pathing. While compensation does not stay competitive with the industry there is a fair amount of work-life balance, team synergy and (depending on your department or line of work) opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Great source for computer based training, mentoring or learning
Cons
compensation packages, current 'right sizing'
Telephone Rep Sales
Preferred Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAMarch 9, 2016
Fast paced constantly changing work place not for people who do not enjoy sales and the up and downs of the sales life. Great work life balance and many resources for employees to get support if needed. Wonderful networking connections are available if you take time to go to them. Having a day that is 90% phone time can be a bit dry but the team and the energy of the floor helps it go by faster. Management is upfront and clear cut no fluff. You meet so many different people from different walks of life and backgrounds. Everyday is a new start and bad days wont ruin your whole month.
Pros
benefits after 30 days of hire, EAP benefits that are actually useful
Cons
most roles have a 1 yr commitment requirement
Analyst
Analyst (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 21, 2016
Work/Life balance was good most of the time.
Compensation was very good.
Management is smart and are industry experts but cliquish and even childish at times. If you disagree with them on anything, chances are high that you will never move up in the organization and may be asked to leave. They are looking for yes men. For this reason, job security is poor and attrition is high at the junior level.
I learned a lot about my job and Bank of America is an excellent name to have on your resume.
Non-management coworkers are smart and the environment is collegial and inclusive.
Pros
Above average compensation, lots of training opportunities, good benefits, and good name recognition
Cons
Unprofessional management, limited exit opportunities, poor job security.
Great place to work at
Small Business Banker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 5, 2016
Worked here for 2 years as a Small Business Banker and had a great time. I really go to learn a lot about lending and you were given the freedom to visit client and hunt for new business. At the end, we all had territories to stick to but there was still a lot of business to go around depending on your area.

Overall, management was great and supportive and although you were required to work long hours, working from home was a plus to catch up on work with the laptop the company provided.
Pros
Leadership, freedom, compensation, healthcare
Cons
Long hours, having to work with the retail banking centers
job security low. lots of jobs sent overseas, upper management no clue and selfish.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 7, 2016
Worked many years for the bank in operations, worked in 90's an back in 2k.
The mid Level VPs and above mangers don't have a clue. Many operate so they look good with little care for the bulk of their employees. A few good ones but most very self centered environment of mangers. Job security low, enjoyable place to work low. Lots of worked moved to India and other places. Not a fan. I think the systems and managers went down hill after Nations Bank took over BofA in the mid or late 90's... I saw that as a customer and employee.
Pros
Medical an 401k good, retirement benefits not so good.
Cons
retirement benefits, system and management
not a fun work place. but the employees are great!
Customer Marketing and Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMarch 19, 2016
This may not apply to all of Bank of America but in the department I worked for the Work although quite simple was complicated by politics and some poor management. There were rules that seemed only apply to certain individuals and there was unfair treatment. The best thing about it are the employees. All were well trained and very hard workers. The hardest part was quality call inspections and trying to make sure to read verbatim all the disclosures with out missing a word.
Pros
great health care benefits
Cons
short lunches
Loved it
PROFESSIONAL BANK TELLER (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXFebruary 13, 2016
Typical day at work is assisting customers with large cash deposits, withdrawals, credit card/auto/mortgage loan payments, opening and closing accounts, selling and informing customers about new bank services.

Hardest part of the job is having a new manager every 6 months. You never really got the chance to believe in your manager of what she/he can do for you in your career, because 6 months later you're getting a new manager and explaining your needs/goals to them all over again. It is very upsetting. In the past 3 years I have had 6 different managers and 2 assistant managers.
Pros
Benefits, staff, customers
Cons
New management every 6 months
A decient place to work, with great support from co workers and management.
Home Loans Production (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 4, 2016
In a typical work day the environment is fast paced, focused, and goal oriented. Management is usually ready to assist with issues, equipped with knowledge and tools to work out issues at hand. Co workers I encounter always were engaging and encouraging. The most enjoyable part of the job was for myself the people I worked with. We all supported each other in one way or another. I found the hardest part of this particular job was the fact that there was no customer engagement, which I missed. I learned to appreciate and value the communication part of working with people.
Pros
working for a large company with great benifits
Cons
job security, the company is also known to hire and layoff often
Dont expect to have the job for long
manager (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYDecember 21, 2015
In the several years i worked there overtime for management was simply expected and necessary to complete basic job functions.

There were several years in which we were not allowed to even give a raise to associates. Regardless of how they performed managers were also limited in how they could rate employees despite several exceeding the goals established early in the year.

Even in years where there were raises most were lucky to get 2%.

Everything is micromanaged to the nth degree. Overall job satisfaction is low as is morale. Every month during 2015 there were more and more layoffs and shutdowns of offices all across the Northeast. The main focus seems to be on getting customers to be self sufficient and solve their own banking issues and forcing them to not use tellers.
Bank of America
Checking/Savings Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 11, 2016
This is a great company when it comes to moving up and positive attitudes!
The pay is very fair.
The only thing that I would have to say negative about the company is that they try to change your position without saying you will be changing because they don't want to lose people.
The communication on that is not very good.
Otherwise, it has great benefits and you are off on all holidays.
Management could be trained better, at no fault to them, as they go from a regular associate to being thrown in that position.
Co-workers are great and we all work together as a team to help each other out!
The most enjoyable parts is how positive people can be! Bank of America celebrates all holidays and has treats for each holidays and food events! They really try to make the work place fun and that is very much appreciated!
Hard parts are that it is a customer service career. There is a ton to know and you can't always make your customers happy no matter what you do.
That comes with all customer service related positions though.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not real stable
Customer Service Fail
Digital Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 7, 2016
It was fun learning about the banking basics and there were a lot of good co-workers. However, the expectation the Upper Management puts on Call Time Invested is unreal. They want you to give World Class Customer Service but they want you to average 490 seconds. It's almost impossible. Those who work the day shift may be able to achieve an average CTI score close to that but that's because the customer base during the day is rushed. They are customers in the work field and don't have time to stay on the phone. The night shift has a customer base who had just come home from work and doesn't care how long they stay on the phone or are the elderly who need you to hold their hand which makes it difficult for night shift to meet the expectation of 490 CTI.
Pros
the salary was the only living wage salary for the area
Cons
short breaks, poor management, poor training
Yikes
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Clayton, MOMarch 3, 2016
Processing and underwriting were a nightmare while I was employed there. Loan Officer had little to no control over files while going through these two stages. Terrible communication on the back end of files and the management of operations was even less desirable. I had two assigned bank branches, both of which were actiely referring and showing strong profit. All of the sudden, regional manager shuffled the branch manager assignment and the dynamic changed overnight. Terrible management at Bank of America is printed in reviews everywhere. I liked my direct manager on the mortgage side, she was not the issue. She simply lacked much of the power and authority that is needed to make it a thriving position...
Pros
Good Benefits, althought 401k match does not kick in until 1 year employed.
Cons
Terrible mid level management
Terrible company to work for. Sorry, don't do it.
MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 14, 2016
Just don't waste your time. They will use you, abuse you, push you to the max and then threaten to replace you like you're a worthless piece of trash. They don't value their employees at all and all of their moves are strategic only to feed the top executives who only see you as a number to make their pockets fatter. If you work there you will be a peasant, you will experience stress, overload of work, terrible non functional slow tools that don't assist in your success. Expect random changes in company policies, performance goals and added uncompensated job responsibilities. You will walk on eggshells and NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH no matter how hard you try. Managers will come down on you with the third degree if you are not surpassing goals. High turnover with employees, game of politics & favoritism to make it anywhere to a higher level within the company. This company is the worse place I've ever worked for. I didn't go in thinking I would say this but it's true, it's heartless corporate America and you will be a depressed robot wondering if anyone knows who you are and if you'll ever be good enough.
Pros
Benefits, Community volunteer opportunities, Pot lucks
Cons
Stressful, Unpredictable Compensation, Just a robot another number, Never good enough, Super fast paste, Poor reports & job tools, They lie, Heavy workload, Low job security, High turnover
Outstanding Culture and Community Oriented Company
Senior Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEMarch 15, 2016
Outstanding. Great bunch of people to work with and for. Great work life balance. Management always seems to consider your "Family" needs first. Great culture and environment to work in. Nice benefits package too....
Job Security
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 3, 2016
My job day always began with preparing for the day, checking appointments, reviewing client profiles, checking my daily and weekly goals. Always had a team huddle to discuss the day and what goals were expected and encouragement for the the team.

My leadership was always supportive and informative, wanting to make sure that I and the team succeeded in every area of my job. I had a great group of co-workers who were willing to work together to make sure we met our goals as a team.

The hardest part of my job would be having enough time to fulfill and finish everything that was expected of the job. There never seemed to be enough time without having overtime, which was frowned upon.

I would say the most enjoyable part of my job would be striving to meet and exceed my goals and be compensated for it. When you have that opportunity to be competitive and want to succeed.
Pros
Compensation for meeting goals
Cons
Big expectations, not enough time
Good working environment even though the clouded by constant layoffs
Operations Analyst - Bankruptcy Validation (Former Employee) –  Tapo Canyon, CAMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work will be opening a new Litigation Case. Call our counsel discuss the file - discuss steps to take to settle the matter or if unable to settle what legal action we need to take.

Learned excellent customer service by talking with the home owners, opposing counsel and our legal counsel and other affiliated departments in the Bank.

Management easy to work as long as work is done timely and accurately.

Friendly co-workers willing to step in and assist if and when needed.

Hardest part is to make both the customer and bank happy at the same time.
Most enjoyable part is assisting home owners - conducting proper research and to know that I managed risk to both parties.

While being a Team Manager I was in a team that values clients making sure to help people always which has been a top priority concern for me.
Pros
Excellent Medical and 401 and vacation benefits
Cons
load of work, short breaks - sometimes micro management
Company applies strong project lifecycle controls in managing change, risk, and quality.
VP - Technology Project Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 22, 2016
Company has a strong team-oriented culture for change management, risk management, and quality management. It values its volunteer activities and community relations, while also fostering strong diversity, personal development, and networking opportunities.

All of that is secondary, however, to the company's financial reporting and compliance to regulatory and legal requirements. In terms of the 'New Economy', the 'New Normal' for employment and employee relations there are resources available for talent development, but talent retention is a function of the balance sheet with little loyalty left to employees who deliver results, yet their jobs are eliminated.
Pros
Diversity and Employee Development Opportunities
Cons
Little Loyalty to Employees Regardless of Performance
Officer; Senior Business Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Punta Gorda, FLMarch 22, 2016
There are opportunities to learn operations, project management, and they provide many resources to expand one's skills.

Excellent Job Work/Life Balance, benefits and opportunities for advancement.
I enjoyed the work/life balance. I worked from home and I loved it.
Litigation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJanuary 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time with Bank of America. My favorite was the work/life balance. I worked from home and I found I was even more productive than when I was in the office. It was the perfect job for me.
I worked 6:00am-3:00pm, which was perfect for me. I went into the office one day a month and I enjoyed spending time with my co-workers. Management was always very supportive.
I had to give a low score on job security because of the the large and frequent lay offs.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Large and frequent lay offs.