Bank of Hawaii Employee Reviews

Good company to get you started
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 22, 2017
Work is typical for a bank. Management is also typical for any company that has been around for a long time. Good development program, but most people leave for better pay or opportunities.
Pros
Benefits package and the people
Cons
Very reactionary. Won't do something until it is an emergency.
Security (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 14, 2017
Monitor and ensure the safety of all Bank of Hawaii branches employees. Monitor fire alarms, hold ups alarms, Vault security, patrols, keep record of all vendors, visitors on site, etc.
relax workplace
Home Equity Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 7, 2017
it has a relaxing place and ambiance since it overviews the sea, mountains and buildings (19th floor). It has a good management and staffs are friendly.
Productive and fast pace job.
Bank Teller I (Former Employee) –  GuamOctober 30, 2017
Even though it was such a short period of time working at Bank of Hawaii, I did enjoy it and all the challenges it had.

I learned a lot of new things and challenged myself to do things that I have never done before.

I am glad I was able to work at Bank of Hawaii.
awesome management.
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIOctober 18, 2017
Coworkers and management were awesome; expectation are made clear regarding quality. Supervisors are always willing to teach, BOH offers 6 weeks training before put on the floor. Unfortunately, location is not convenient.
Pros
management
Cons
Customers, location
Fast-paced work environment
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIOctober 17, 2017
I enjoyed my job with Bank of Hawaii. It's a very fast-paced work environment, but at least your day goes by fast. There is a bunch of overtime opportunity.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Can be stressful.
awesome
Bank teller (Former Employee) –  Waianae, HIOctober 13, 2017
I enjoyed working at the Waianae branch of Bank of Hawaii. It was a fulfilling experience working in the banking industry, helping customers with their financial transactions.
Great place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 28, 2017
I loved working at Bank of Hawaii. It is an organization that cares about their employees, the community and their customers. While at the end of the day it is a for profit business that must make decisions in the best interest of its shareholders, I truly believe they do everything possible to support their employees.
Fast paced workplace
In-Store Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HISeptember 13, 2017
A typical day was assisting numerous customers with their financial transactions and attempting to sell them products that would help them with their current financial situation. I learned a lot about the banking industry and personal finance. The workplace culture was fast paced. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a very high number of customers each day. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding a way to improve a customers financial situation and helping them out.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Low pay
A Good & Secure Career
Trust Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 28, 2017
BoH boasts a high-profit margin as one of the top performing banks in the nation. However they achieve this goal by under-compensating employees and often over-working employees as well. The Bank runs lean and is understaffed in many departments.

The benefits are top-notch and competitive with the market in Hawaii, however they pale in comparison to other industries and mainland companies.

Want to know more about Bank of Hawaii?

Ask a question
challenging yet a fun place to work and promote different products
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  American SamoaAugust 23, 2017
Working at bank of Hawaii was fun because we always had creative ways of promoting our products. Our morning meeting of hyping up the employees to promote products and the different ways of challenging us by being competitive with our colleagues to promote our products.
i learn to be very careful in dealing with peoples funds and always make sure that we were always there to assist them in accordance to our job description.
the management was awesome. very strict but behind all that you could always sense their passion to take care of their employees.
the hardest part of the job was balancing our cash and dealing with irate customers.
the most enjoyable part of the job was pretty much everything. working with my colleague and helping each other.
Pros
tips and benifits
Great
Teller Supervisor, Guam USA (Former Employee) –  GuamAugust 18, 2017
As Teller at that time and constantly busy with the branch but learned a lot. It was my first time with the position an they trained to make sure you will understand your role.
Banking is not for the ADHD
In Store Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIAugust 15, 2017
my experience may be completely different than someone in a different branch, but extremely hostile environment, passive aggressive co workers who are not team players, have power trips and bully others. "Just ask for help" but when you do, they make you feel like an idiot. Managers always yelling, will tell you one thing one day, and something different to a co-worker. Things were thrown at me, snatched from my hand, "move." No manners or common curtesy what so ever.
Their systems are so inefficient, you have to enter the same information in multiple systems because they are not synced and transcription error will cost you an incentive payout.
Benefits are generous if you qualify for them, pay is too low, hours are long, 9 hour days.
Pros
you work in AC
Cons
no sense of team
Great Company
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 29, 2017
A leader in Hawaii and the only company I would want to work for in the Aloha State. Management is strong with great backgrounds. Good diversity. Focus on employee development.
Excellent Benefits
Wire Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 24, 2017
Provides excellent benefits from medical, dental to 401k plan. Good mentors to assist with training and development of your skills. A great leader in the community.
Banking
Consumer Banking Specialist / Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  GuamJune 20, 2017
A typical day working with the Bank was the continuous face to face interaction with clients wanting to deposit, withdraw, pay a loan, open an account or even possibly apply for a loan or credit card. In working with the bank, I learned that not everyone is well rounded or aware of how to best use their bank to the best of their interest.
I'd have to say the hardest job was seeing how our elders were barely living on their social security income and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the clients and establishing relationships and being able to inform them of the benefits of banking with Bank of Hawaii.
I also saw it very difficult to advance within the bank since it seemed there was a lot of politics involved in order to advance, which is why I sought to work with another company along with the desire to receive an increase in pay.
productive, slow yet fast pace,
Teller (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HIJune 11, 2017
quiet, days after holiday is crazy, see regular guest every week, cash handling, benefits is offered but at a ridiculous price, make sure your balance everyday.
Pros
pay rate, benefits is too expensive
Cons
meet and get to know your customers
Appreciated job opportunity
Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 23, 2017
The management was nothing to be proud of, however the benefits were good and the culture is overall fair. The management is under qualified and it seems as though it is far more of who you know rather than what you know.
Benefits
Cons
Unqualified Management
Great CoWorkers
Bank Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Princeville, HIMay 11, 2017
Pay was horrible, workload was intense especially before long weekends and holidays. Very high turnover rates, constantly putting a strain on other tellers and supervisors.
New Experience
Teller (Current Employee) –  GUApril 14, 2017
A good place to work and gain experience. The compensation and benefits are great. The work/life balance is tricky and there are a lot of times when you have to put in more time for work than your home/family time.