Bank of Hawaii Employee Reviews

Management Issues
Consumer Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIFebruary 9, 2017
They had a manager training program that allowed people to come in a work at branches for short periods of time. This created a high turn over rate. Nothing was constant about this place when it came to the needs of employees, due to constant change.
Pros
great members
Cons
management changes constantly
Great workplace to learn and grow
Consumer Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIJanuary 31, 2017
In this job, you learn about how people are with money which makes it very interesting. The management is great to work with as they are understanding of situations within reason. Hardest part of the job is grasping all the different types of products offered and how they work but at the same time help is quickly there when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet and get to know.
Pros
Increase your knowledge in the world of banking
Cons
Not as flexible with schedule
banking
Proof Operator (Former Employee) –  Hagåtña, GUJanuary 18, 2017
your work midday collecting all tellers transactions encoding and balancing all transactions for the day mild clerical work answering phones preparing spreadsheets
Good place to work employees get along
Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASJanuary 2, 2017
Bank of Hawaii is a good financial institution working with people that has good professional skill. I'm so grateful working for Bank of Hawaii company it has made me better person, and has trained me with a banking experience that will help in my future in the banking field.
Pros
Always have a morning rally before the bank open to motivate the employees
Cons
The benefits were to expensive for employees in American Samoa (Medical & Dental)
Exempt role
Exempt role (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 25, 2016
BOH does not value work/ home life balance. Working in a non- branch environment; "exempt status" prepare to stay over 40 hours weekly and without compensation. Employees, whose salaries are below $45000 a year, should be considered "non- exempt". Before the law was recently vetoed, we were briefed to notify management if our work load will take us beyond an 8 hour work day. This prevents/ minimizes paying employees over time. Since that was short lived, now it's back to the norm of working from ain't to faint and no mention about working long hours. Working countless hours lessen the amount of time spent with loved ones.

The meager $14 and change hourly wage, clearly does not compensate for the type of work, deadline driven environment and number of hours worked within a week. Hence; should you work 45 hours within a week you get paid for only 40. Do the math. Of course this does not boost morale.

Because there is a lack of employees within departments, it does not lend way to developmental opportunities.

The systems are slow requiring you to reboot during the day and log off at night. They charge a monthly parking fee and the parking lot is substandard. Pot holes and faint parking lines.

Before accepting employment with BOH, ask the right questions to make a sound decision if this is a place that is conducive to your career goals and work/ home life balance.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
compensation does not equate to the type of work
Awesome fast paced work environment
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIDecember 12, 2016
You are typically taking calls all day long, you'll have to submit a handful of different forms regarding requests for maintenance or disputes. There is always someone from management that is on site and ready to assist if needed. Co-Workers are professional but still have the time to get to know each other. Activities are done for each Holiday to celebrate. I would say the only time things get tough is when there's a tough customer who is just irate because in the end it really isn't our fault for a bunch of mistakes made (either done by ATM or even done on the customer end but "customers are always right").
Pros
Discount at the cafe, Gym at each location with free membership, esp. Paid training
Cons
Your day depends on the mood of the customers
A fun job meeting and assisting customers!
Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 10, 2016
My job was such a fun position as a Commercial Teller. I got to meet many business owners and they would always wait for me to service them.
Stressful, fun, fast paced environment
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HINovember 22, 2016
First job ever and I've stuck it out for so long due to the bond I had with co workers and the flexible schedule (it was a 24 hour call center). There was always room for overtime and there was always someone willing to swap shifts with you.
Pros
24 hrs, flexible schedule, overtime
Cons
Mandatory work on holidays, micro management
A Company That Takes Care of Its Employees
Corporate Security Coordinator (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 21, 2016
A fantastic company for those looking for a career in the banking industry with great benefits and a safe, friendly working environment. I have nothing bad to say about this company. I had such a great experience working here for over 2 years. I would still be working here if not for having to relocate (my husband is in the military).
Pros
Benefits, Employee Events, Upward Mobility
Bank Of Hawaii
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HINovember 1, 2016
I learned a lot being in the different departments and in roles in the banking industries, i felt the knowledge and experienced I gained helped to build a solid foundations for me in my career.
Great Place to Work At
ISB Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIOctober 10, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working at BOH it was stressful at times as any customer service job is but my co workers and management worked together well and became like family it was really fun and i encourage others to look into applying there
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
bad tempered customers
Family Oriented Compance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HISeptember 11, 2016
What I loved about Bank of Hawaii is how they make you put your family before your job. There were days when my daughter's sitter wouldn't show up and at the last minute, they would allow me to find a sitter then come in to work late and make up the hours.
Pros
Free Debit card that accumilates miles
Cons
Short lunches
office job
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 8, 2016
great company however opportunities for growth slim training none if not necessary not for someone who wants more in life if willing to live mediocre than great for you or if start out job than great
Cons
Filled with Aloha, and a twist.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJuly 22, 2016
The biggest downfall of working for Bank of Hawaii's call center was the turn around on their expectations for employees to uphold. Working in a bank call center, 7 times out of 10, a client is calling to find out specific information regarding the status or security of their bank accounts. Yet, the company requires employees to mention specifics to sell extras. Which turns many employees away, which then increases the wait times of clients trying to contact a bank representative, which lowers their patience to hear what an employee has to try to sell them. Its a never ending cycle. I enjoyed every other aspect of working for this bank. I learned so much about the way banks work, I loved communicating and helping clients find solutions, my supervisors were so supportive, the environment was truly filled with aloha. Just the standards vs reality of what employees face, in my opinion, was unrealistic.
it was ok
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJune 24, 2016
i was a file clerk, so nothing much going on over there.. i just located old documents and emailed them to whomever requested it and also closed old accounts.
Productive environment
Wire Transfer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed being part of a department that could help people domestically and internationally to help them wire their funds safely Bank of Hawaii exhibits qualities of a team-environment. There was always a new project to work on and a new client to assist.
Self Driven, challenging and sales orientated
Consumer Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Kailua-Kona, HIMay 29, 2016
If you are looking for an upbeat job that is constantly challenging you to rise above and beyond the norm than this is the job for you. With a variety of tasks and responsibilities you need to be self driven to conduct your day on your own to accomplish them. However, the ability to juggle teller transactions and sales activities can lead to lucrative success.
The work environment in my department was not healthy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 18, 2016
Some of us would start early, not take breaks or lunches to keep up with the work load. Management would show favoritism. The hardest part was trying to keep current knowledge of the 12 products and services - due to technical and service upgrades. Some co-workers were not willing to help others. There were a few of us out of 8 that would help each other out and could be counted on as a friend.
Pros
Bus pass, 401k, profit sharing, banking benefits
Cons
no breaks when 2 or more people were out
The workplace,co-workers and management are the best.
Item Processing and Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Garapan, MPMay 5, 2016
Proof operator entails processing checks and you have to meet deadlines. You will learn how to operate all kinds of machines in order to perform your job which requires being efficient and accurate.You spend your day working in the backroom with very minimal customer interaction that makes it fun for some employees.
One good thing about this job is you learn how the bank operation works.

As a customer service supervisor at the same time takes you to another level. Maintaining a good customer relationship is the hardest part of the job. Your typical day at work is facing and tackling complaints from clients. Coming from processing department, your access to research is always a contributing factor in solving account balances differences. The fun part of the job is the appreciation and the gratefulness of a satisfied customer in addition to management support and that is very rewarding.
Retail Job
Money Processor (Former Employee) –  HawaiiMay 2, 2016
Typical retail job where customer service is the culture. Be prepared to work with customers and manage risk on a daily basis. Fun job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Hawaii. Our community is ready to answer.