Bank of Hawaii

Bank of Hawaii Employer Reviews

Local branch banking and trust business
Anonymous (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJuly 5, 2014
Pros: location. community recognition
Cons: poorly educated, limited-knowledge local employees
The company sees itself as a Goldman Sachs of Hawaii, but it's business is really just branch banking & trust for the locals.

Too many malicious old-timers satisfied with bottom-level position and not willing to grow, but claiming for all the benefits of seniority. If you see someone that makes you wonder how he/she got hired at the first place, that's – more... the one.

Low pay and limited advancement opportunities unless you want to get into management. Perhaps, that's why young people leave in their first to second year.

Education & experience level for investment management group is considerably low compared to industry standard. – less
Fun work place
Teller II (Former Employee), Kailua-Kona, HIJune 24, 2014
Loved my co-worker very helpful and together
Benefits where great
Fast paced work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kapolei, Hi 96707June 9, 2014
This job was a good job in regards to staying busy all the time. The management was well rounded as well
The #1 Bank
Senior Commercial Credit Analyst (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIMay 16, 2014
The Bank of Hawaii is the #1 rated bank in the nation. There is strong executive leadership and a lot of room for development.
Challenging and exciting
SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Waikele, HIApril 23, 2014
Pros: fantastic work/life balance
Working in Hawaii was where I obtained by banking experience, not too bad right? Hours were amazing working 9-4 M-Th and 9-6 Saturdays. If you worked Saturdays, you were only there 9-2. The staff and management were laid back, but go-getters. This was a fantastic place to work. Given the chance, I would go back!
Good benefits but poor management skills.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 14, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: management were not personable
As much as I enjoyed working for a bank, the atmosphere was pretty boring. It seemed like the managers had their favorites and if you were not their favorite, then you weren't going to advance.
Productive and nice place to work at
Consumer Banking Representative (Current Employee), HawaiiFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: incentive on sales, campaign, promotion, bank party
Cons: very strict policies and regulations
I started working at Bank oh Hawaii right after i finished school at Hawaii Pacific University in 2012, and it was a very good opportuinity for me who didnt have very much experience working in the U.S.

I accepted the offer, started with another branch instead of my original branch which was a good to learn and got to know co-workers. In Hawaii, the – more... variety of cultures as well as ethicities makes us understand better and work better with clients.

Working at different branches was helping me have ideas how to help and work with either consumers or businesses, it was good change for a newly employee.

I actually experience new things everyday with either typically clients or with new clients who try to do business with the bank, whenever i needed help, bosses or co-workers, also other departments will support

Bank of Hawaii is a good place to work at. I got chances to go to different training courses when its opened/

The bank is giving all employees opportunities to get promoted or transfer to new position with their performance as well as having party for us to get together twice a year so that we know who we are working with, also build up co-workers relationship.

I came from Viet Nam and fluently in Vietnamese. Thats why im trying to bring Vietnamese businesses to the bank, my executive bosses are letting me use my strength to help my vietnamese community also, because of that, we closed a big commercial loan with one of the vietnamese businesses last year and it will be the target for this year as well. – less
Best training I ever had
Teller (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Cash checks, deposit checks, process cashier checks, cash audits and provide good customer service. Perform all the duties of a teller position. Accepted utiliy bills, processed bonds, TT&L, cashier checks, accepted loan payments. I loved my training I received for Bank of Hawaii.
Productive and fun work place
Teller (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: part-time
Cons: less hours
As a bank teller at Bank of Hawaii, it was my fist experience working in a bank after high school. I enjoyed working with awesome mangement and co-workers. All though it was a summer job. The hardest part of beinging a teller were to become a morning shift person as in working early shifts of the day also getting off early. I enjoyed meeting new face's – more... everyday, helping customers with their needs for accounts and to see them leave with a smile, Working with funn and excting pepole. – less
Welcoming / Fun place to work with great employees
Intern / Personal Assistant (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIDecember 16, 2013
As a graduate student straight out of college, this internship was able to teach me an incredible amount about myself. I really got a glimpse into the amount of work it takes to keep a large corporation running.
Workplace
Consumer Loan Underwriter (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIOctober 5, 2013
Consumer loan underwriter in Hawaii

Segment culture of Asians at top ranking position
Acted with false sense of superiority after I found errors in the loan handling process. Did not want to hire Americans at an American bank in America. Kept most Americans as temporary to avoid paying benefits. Very critical to disaster.
Productive place to work and a good place to start your working career after high school
Utility Clerk/vault custodian (Former Employee), Honolulu, HISeptember 29, 2013
Pros: discounted bus passes, annual christmas parties, employee appreciation gifts at the end of the year
Typical work day: balanced tellers work, order money for the branch, balance the ATM machine, balance the safe at the end of the day and the GL work. I learned to be better organized at this job. The management was very strict but I learned a lot from management. The co-workers were helpful and had positive team spirit. The hardest part of the job was – more... balancing the tellers work because in those days, we had to do this manually without computers because we actually used adding machine tape. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a set schedule and sticking with it. – less
Nice atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kapolei, HISeptember 22, 2013
Pros: 1 hour lunch, located near home
Cons: pay
Atmosphere was nice, sometimes it could be exciting... But that's about it...
Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kapolei, HISeptember 3, 2013
Good start to gain experience and grow to know how financial institutions works.
Productive and busy place to work
Assistant Vault Supervisor (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIAugust 30, 2013
Pros: business and responsibility
Cons: pay
I learned a lot about my management skills and had to monitor employees and make deadlines. There was a lot of responsibility monitoring the cash flow for the state of Hawaii, Guam, America Samoa, and Saipan. It was very stressful but you always are working hard. The only thing is your salary isn't very good.
productive and Family Oriented
Teller (Former Employee), Kunia, HIAugust 29, 2013
Pros: customers were like family
Cons: different accents
there was so much to learn at Bank of Hawaii but if I was to take anything away from there it was this, No matter what you do in life you need to look forward to a new day and new opportunities to fulfill your daily goals and achievements.
The Hardest part of my job was not being able to understand some of the customers request being they may have had – more... a strong accent, i would have tried my best to accommodate them but if no progress what made thats when that would happen i would refer them to my supervisor. – less
I fully enjoyed this employer
Teller (Former Employee), HawaiiAugust 14, 2013
The hours were amazing. The management was very knowledgeable. I have no complaints against this employer.
Fair and good work enviroment.
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJuly 26, 2013
Pros: got to take the shuttle van close to my home after work.
Cons: got to start early whenever i have to drive the shuttle.
I liked working in this company because I had a great supervisor who I was abled to get along with. I was able to work together wth my supervisor very well. There were some strange things happening among the employees where I worked at. (Mailroom Services) I enjoyed distributing mail to each department because I was able to walk to all the floors in – more... the building and get to know people in different departments. I enjoy driving the shuttle bus/van taking the mail or employees to designated areas. What I really like about this job was moving all day instead of staying in one place. The more I went around delivering mail and driving the shuttle the more I enjoyed my job. That job was a fast pace work because the mail has to be delivered on time. I enjoyed the challenge everyday. – less
A great place to work outstanding.
Teller / Senior Supervisor (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJuly 23, 2013
Pros: everyone help each other including managers.
typical day at work: Walking in the branch to friendly smiling faces.

•what you learned: I learned about the banking industry. There was so much to learn.

•management: always there to help in whatever you need and always there to listen to our concern.

co-workers: Love all my co-worker always help each others like a team great.

•the hardest part – more... of the job: I didn't find anything harder about my job, tools were always available and everyone work together.

•the most enjoyable part of the job: Getting up in the morning to go to work, it was just so great working for Bank Of Hawaii!!!!! – less
Really was challenging and would work for the company again.
Record Management Clerk II (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJune 26, 2013
Pros: working o/t
Cons: n/a
I started has a summer hire I was glad to hear when I was offered a full time position. The Manager of the Department said that I was good at my job and turn in projects on time. I enjoyed working for the bank but again my Spouse was being assigned to Fort Riley, Kansas.

About Bank of Hawaii

Bank of Hawaii knows there's no place like home. The corporation is the holding company for Bank of Hawaii (familiarly known as – Read more