Bank of New York Mellon

Bank of New York Mellon Employer Reviews

Too corporate and focused on expenses
Business Group Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 30, 2014
You won't succeed there if you are not creative. People are nice.
Okay place to earn a paycheck
Senior Trade Investigator (Former Employee), Oriskany, NYApril 25, 2014
The Bank of NY Mellon is an okay place to begin one's career, however you have to be employed there for 20 years before you can advance to the next position. The pay is semi-monthly and is not enough for all the work that is required of you to do. Sometimes you are not paid for the work you do there and you have to do work on your own "free time" without – more... compensation. Not a great place to work at all, would not recommend it. – less
na
associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 24, 2014
Stable work environment. Lay back culture and friendly management.
Productive, easy, and kind of laid back
Weekend Supervisor (Current Employee), Nashville, TNApril 24, 2014
Pros: meet variety of people
Cons: low pay and no good benefits
My typical day at work is simple. I go in and switch shifts with the third shift. I would check my e-mail to make sure if we have any memo's to see what important people is coming for the day so we can know what to expect.Go and expect all of my check points in the building and making sure that visitors are being signed in properly. Take incoming phone – more... calls and make outgoing phone calls if needed. Monitors about 500 cameras and when alarms are set off go and expect the area then report back to the office.
Management is a tough job but I learn something new everyday about a managers responsibility. I am the 1st shift supervisor on weekends and once I had got that position I knew I had to change professionally wise with my co-workers. I learned how to deal with call outs and emergency situations.
I get alone very well with my co-workers. We laugh and talk but they know that work first. I don't hold that supervisor card to throw rules with my co-workers because they know the rules and do's and don't so we don't never have a problem. I have never had to write up a co-worker but they know I will if I have to. I have respect for my co-workers and my co-workers have respect for me.
The hardest part of the job is when we start have technical problems with one of the systems and we have to start doing everything manually. Also the hardest part is when we have a lot of visitors arrive and we wasn't told until the last minute, however we work well as a team and we get it together as if we had already knew for about 2 days.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when the day has went by smooth and every one is talking and happy. – less
wasn't too happy with new management
Processor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2014
Co-workers were great to work with. Immediate supervisor was great!
Great experience for entry level position.
Senior Fund Accountant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2014
Service on the daily bases 3+ multi-asset class Closed-End Funds valued at over $3.5 billion.
great place to learn from
Manager (Former Employee), New yorkApril 21, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule depending on your role
Cons: not tolerant of risks which minimizes innovation
Opportunities exist for individuals who bring industry best practices to the organization. Management is looking for individuals who can help distinguish the company from its competitors and grow the business organically
Fun but Hard to move up
System Administrator III - Asset Servicing Billing (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 21, 2014
Your work place is based on your coworkers. WHen you have coworkers that do not like where they work its hard to judge the culture. I like this company but because it is a big company and I started in a small position in a little town, it was difficult to move uo the corporate ladder.
*****
Global Corporate Action Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 20, 2014
This is an excellent company to work for. I see my job at the Bank of New York no as a job but as a career.
Good place - bad pay.
Financial Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 18, 2014
Pros: great management.
Cons: low pay.
I worked for this company briefly. I started as a contractor but they quickly made me a full-time employee. The pay was very low so I had to look for another job. I really liked what I did but I couldn't live with the low pay, literally.
Great job culture
Pricing Analyst, New York (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 16, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance
Cons: little room for advancement
Enjoyed the "laissez-faire" management style, which made everyone more productive and efficient.
Unorganized department, Frustrating, Nice People Though
DSG Futures Processor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 14, 2014
Pros: relaxed manager
Cons: unorganization, training, no ot, outsourcing
When I started at BNY Mellon I was put into a department which just implemented a new manager with two new liaisons, which is the second in the chain of command. Liaisons are supposed to help the processors, which is what I was brought in to do. My liaison on a daily basis could not help me so I started working with my manager and he helped me greatly – more... in my training process, however the manager has tons to do, that is why a liaison is so important. So it was me and another young guy thrown onto a team that consisted of a new manager, two new liaisons, and the young guy and me. We both started around the same time, and that was it, nobody with any experience at there respective position. The first month I did very little and was mostly left by myself. I would train with my liaison for an hour or two, not understand it and then have to bother my manager. This went on until my temp contract was up 3 months later. Then they must have figured that it was time I got some actual work and gave me more responsibilities. This was fine, but when I did not know how to do something my liaison would ask my manager and I would have to wait until he was free. I am not kidding when I say sometimes it took days before an issue was solved by my manager, all the while my liaison would be doing nothing. Liaisons basically look at a problem and are supposed to help processors fix it because they have at least 5 years experience, my liaison would look at it for a couple minutes and say you better ask the manager. I am tempted to use the word lazy. Then the other liaison who worked with the other processor gets moved and we get another new liaison who likes to play on her phone most of the day and complain. She was knowledgeable at her job, but seemed angry at times and also lazy. Us processors were also told to never claim overtime. I had work to do in the morning so I would often come in early to get a jump on it, and then never claim those hours the six months I worked there. Bottom line, BNY Mellon probably can be an enjoyable place to work, the department I was in just frustrated me and I in turn had a bad experience, but that does not mean every part of BNY Mellon is like that. – less
Fun place with good perks
Relationship Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 13, 2014
Pros: nice cafeteria. many food options
Cons: short breaks
Quality managers. Super smart people. Culture is very traditional.
easygoing job
Collateral Reviewer (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 11, 2014
Cons: repitition
This job is very fast paced , really easy going . The supervisors are very helpful . I have learned a lot about the mortgage industry working at this particular job .
great place to work
Asset Servicing Specialist-Temp (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 9, 2014
Although my contract was short I learned a lot and it was great while it lasted.
Productive and motivated culture with work-life balance.
Senior Tax Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2014
A place where fun and motivated individuals work. Management style is flexible but client focus.
Urgent need a Sql Server Developer
SQL Server Developer (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJApril 8, 2014
Pros: urgent need a sql server developer
Cons: urgent need a sql server developer
• Worked with Business and operation team for the enhancement of trading platform, advisor platforms.
• Strong experience in Data Analysis, Data Profiling, Data Migration, Data Integration and Metadata Management Services.
• Documenting code logic and procedures performed.
• Worked with Business analyst and SME in order to translate the requirement – more... into technical design and connect with the off-shore team to carry out the tasks.
• Wrote hundreds of stored procedures to support various business needs.
• Report development using SSRS.
• Query and mine large data sets to discover transaction patterns, examine financial data and filter for targeted information - using traditional as well as predictive/advanced analytic methodologies.
• Wrote complex T-sql for data extraction and data analysis.
• Involved in Designing, Developing and Testing of the ETL (Extract, Transformation and Load) strategy to populate the data from various source systems feeds using SSIS.
• Designed ETL packages dealing with different data sources (SQL Server, Flat Files) and loaded the data into target data sources by performing different kinds of transformations using SSIS.
• Created Triggers, User-defined Functions, and Views for both Online and Batch requests handling business logic and functionality of various modules.
• Responsible to support SQL Servers with ever-changing workloads, and achieving some level of predictable performance (or minimizing variance in plans and performance).
• Created checks and constraints to maintain data integrity.
• Created views to facilitate easy user interface implementation, and triggers on them to facilitate consistent data entry into the database.
• Knowledge of developing reports from Cubes using the KPI's for decision making, also debugged data connections, data sources and Data Source Views.
• Creating Ad Hoc and parameterized various Reports using SQL server 2008 R2 / 2012.
• Analyzed the existing application programs and tuned SQL queries using Execution plan, Query Analyzer, SQL Profiler and database Engine tuning Advisor. – less
A large financial institution.
International Advertising Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2014
A large institution to work for. A great group of people to work for, willing to share their knowledge and work towards the common goal of growing the business.
Very stressful work environment
QA/Audit (Former Employee), Irving TXApril 7, 2014
Pros: learn various processes
Cons: not an enjoyable work place
-Senior employees were required to know all processes and worked various processes daily

-Asked to work OT at the very last minute on a daily basis

-Very low pay and give .01-.04 cents raises yearly without any bonus or incentives

-Management is very unfair and made it very hard to come to work and love your job

-Leaving at the EOD was the most – more... enjoyable part of this job – less
Good For College Grads but no growth and lack of professionalism from management
Fund Accountant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 7, 2014
Pros: tuition reimbursement
Cons: lack of growth, professionalism, country club setting, lack of business morales and ethics
Learned that don't trust your co workers, they will have lunch with you and act like you are an integral part of the team then stab you in the back to cover their mistakes. Turnover is due to management and lack of growth. Hardest part of the job waking up to go to it. Most enjoyable part .... parting ways.

About Bank of New York Mellon

Big Apple, meet Iron City. The Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) is the result of the 2007 marriage of Bank of New York and Mellon – Read more

Bank of New York Mellon Photos