Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Service Banker II
Service Banker II (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 21, 2016
Service Bankers are basically tellers. It can be a rewarding job, just make sure to push yourself and to always be looking for promotions if you decide to join with Bank of the West or any other bank for that matter. Management is really chill and most co-workers that I've met are also very nice. Sometimes you might be asked to come in on your day off or be asked to switch your schedule around, but that's just part of it. It's a great job if you love helping customers and fixing their problems while making the appropriate sales.
Pros
Benefits for most employees (except Flex), includes 401k, tuition reimbursement, health, dental and vision. Free lunches every now and then, commission off sales at the end of every quarter.
Cons
Rigid Schedule, Hard to call out when sick.
Productive, and fast paced workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CANovember 9, 2016
A lot of cash handling, a lot of clerical, and one on one customer interactions.

Learned how to problem solve accordingly, valuable customer service experiences, learned to be discreet and how to pay attention to detail.

Management and Co-workers were always helpful, hands on, respectful, easy to talk to, made work a bit more fun, and were always available when needed.

The hardest part was trying to remain calm and not to stress when other branches were going through frightening, tough times. Also when customers are being rude, you have to remember to stay calm and complete your due diligence before handing them cash.

The most enjoyable time, is when you can help out panicking customers, and are able to give them a sense of security. Talking to different customers and becoming familiar with them, having customers leave and come back happy, and appreciative for everything you try to do for them.
Pros
Christmas dinners, incentives, birthday celebrations, benefits, paid vacation
Account Payable (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TX 76051December 29, 2016
I maintained the general ledgers for all 8 branches on a daily basis. I had a great supervisor that was extremely patient and a wonderful teacher. I had 2 secondary supervisors that were very experienced in the banking industry and were a tremendous help in my training. I learned new things about the banking industry until the day I left.
Pros
Good pay and benefits. Great people and work environment
Cons
Too demanding for my personal lifestyle. Would not recommend if you have small children
Happy Employee
Vice President branch manager (Current Employee) –  Anthony, NMDecember 9, 2016
Great company with great benefits and I love the manager I work with. I have a passion for helping people succeed financially and I absolutely able to do what I love here! I've learned a lot about the market place, commercial lending and banking BSA and AML regulatory compliance.
Pros
business travel, nice schedule, flexibility, salaried position
Cons
very little formal training
Rating
VP. Underwriting Manger - (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 10, 2016
Poor work-life balance.
Poor work culture
Senior Management receives all benefits
No possible advancement or security - Environment very unstable and lacks direction
fun and productive place to work
Commercial Loan Liaison/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAJanuary 13, 2017
work life is well balanced. Good Management. Good benefits. one of the best company to work for. Good Location. Newer Building. Parking is free.
Always changing for the customer
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MODecember 9, 2016
Typical day at Bank of the West would be assisting customers with transactions. Helping with any troubles on accounts or questions. There are also a task that I am assigned that I take care of.
Pros
excellent 401k
Cons
management
Temporary/Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68154January 10, 2017
I was with this company for 4 years. The management team was awesome and they offered many great benefits. I loved every minute i put into this company while i was with them
Pros
Great Team to work with and benefits
benefits
great company
Underwriting Manager (Current Employee) –  Des MoinesJanuary 13, 2017
quick growing, tons of potential, new management with visionary views, new benefits package, becoming progressive.
Stable
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanislaus County, CADecember 4, 2016
Great Company to work but benefits are very expensive. Sales goals are reasonable. There are many different job opportunities within the company in various departments.
Great Branch Co-Workers
Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) –  Branch LoAugust 10, 2016
Branch co-workers are great people and very team oriented. Compensation is average or slightly below. Expectations for sales calls in conflict with needs to process transactions and build positive relationships with customers.
Good
Sr. .NET Developer (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAAugust 9, 2016
In working with Bank of the west is flexible as it provides benefits like Work and Life Balanced, Compensation and Job Security.
I loved my job at the bank
Customer Service Representative/ Teller (Former Employee) –  Gridley, CAMarch 22, 2016
This was another job that I enjoyed working at. The day to day interaction with customers and processing their transactions as I learned how their day was going. Management and co-workers were amazing! Unfortunately I left my job of 6 years at the bank for a "better paying job." Which needless to say, was probably not the greatest idea.
Hardest part of this job was making sure that everything was filled out correctly.
Pros
managment, wok environment, benefits
Backwards, dysfunctional, terrible environment
RM Corporate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 12, 2017
Many incompetent team members.
Backstabbing, insecure CYA obsessed employees.
Immature, disconnected management team.
Running scared of the regulators due to parent Bank's $9 billion sanctions fine.
Backwards awful technology platforms.
Constant turnover.
Weak back office staff.
Very third rate overall.
Cheap.
Awful teamwork culture.
Understaffed for the workload.
Pros
Some dedicated people who try despite the many obstacles.
Cons
See below
Non-stop productivity
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 6, 2016
My typical day as a customer service representative at Bank of the West consisted of helping customers with various banking tasks in addition to cashing checks, making deposits and distributing cash. My main task was manning a 3-lane drive-through, where only one transaction at a time could be processes. I learned a great deal about handling money and basic banking skills. However, the branch manager was extremely critical of me, to the point that I had to act without personality throughout the work day. The employees were not much better, as they would not help when asked. The most difficult part of the job was learning the company processes, policies and procedures, as well as dealing with the daily stress of criticism from management.
Pros
Work hours, career oportunities
Cons
Management, customer complaints
An ok environment
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 22, 2016
Its a fast paced type of job. there was always some sort of technical issues every month which always increased the call volume. we began to suspect that this impromptu technical failures were planned. People get fired for making the slightest mistakes. overall management is good at least for me it was, guess that depends on who your manager is.
Very competitive bank able to compete with larger banks.
Senior Vice President Commercial Banker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 15, 2016
Many changes since my employment in management and not familiar with current management team. My time there was directly after Commercial Federal Bank was acquired and had to rebuild relationships with customers and form identity in new market.
Pros
Products and offerings very competitive in market.
Cons
Did not have as strong relationships compared to community banks.
A great learning experience only.
Customer Services Representative (Teller) (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CASeptember 12, 2016
I enjoyed working at a bank since I have not worked in such an environment before. Being introduced how cash flows through a bank into a customer's wallet was an incredible learning experience for me. However, I did not enjoy the constant sales pitches that were enforced. I did not enjoy trying to sell things that people didn't need. I also did not enjoy the management at that establishment. Overall, it was a very uncomfortable work environment. My typical work day included: opening up my teller station, help customers in line, clerical duties, try to sell as many things as possible, and close up/balance cash drawer. I enjoyed a majority of my coworkers since they were so helpful when I had first arrived. We all helped each other as much as we could and that was a great feeling to know that we are all part of a team. However, aside from technical duties of a teller, the bankers and management enforced new standards expected from us, which was selling, of course. This is a main reason for my resignation.
Great people, womderful workspace, access to gym and downtown Portlamd.
Trust Administrator - Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 6, 2016
The job is the same as with Columbia Trust Company.

Start with client meetings, returning calls to any voice mails waiting, process and payment of bills for clients.

Every day is a learning experience. No day is the same. Every day brings opportunities to learn.

My Manager was down the hall from my office and he had an open door policy.

My co-workers and I worked as a team working for the same goal, providing excellent customer service.

Losing a client due to death or transfer of account.

My clients were wonderful. I enjoyed working with my partners in the trust business such as attorney's, accountants, insurance professionals, etc.
Pros
Cleints were great.
Cons
Commute and parkimg in downtown Portlamd, OR
Great Stepping stone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAOctober 26, 2016
If your looking for experience this is a great place to start. They give you great skills to move to a better job. The management is ok depending on the location. There is not very much more for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.