Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Very competitive bank able to compete with larger banks.
Senior Vice President Commercial Banker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 15, 2016
Many changes since my employment in management and not familiar with current management team. My time there was directly after Commercial Federal Bank was acquired and had to rebuild relationships with customers and form identity in new market.
Pros
Products and offerings very competitive in market.
Cons
Did not have as strong relationships compared to community banks.
Rating
VP. Underwriting Manger - (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 10, 2016
Poor work-life balance.
Poor work culture
Senior Management receives all benefits
No possible advancement or security - Environment very unstable and lacks direction
Always changing for the customer
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MODecember 9, 2016
Typical day at Bank of the West would be assisting customers with transactions. Helping with any troubles on accounts or questions. There are also a task that I am assigned that I take care of.
Pros
excellent 401k
Cons
management
Happy Employee
Vice President branch manager (Current Employee) –  Anthony, NMDecember 9, 2016
Great company with great benefits and I love the manager I work with. I have a passion for helping people succeed financially and I absolutely able to do what I love here! I've learned a lot about the market place, commercial lending and banking BSA and AML regulatory compliance.
Pros
business travel, nice schedule, flexibility, salaried position
Cons
very little formal training
Productive Environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CADecember 8, 2016
Bank of the West was an overall positive working experience for me because my managers really wanted to me to succeed. They cared about my success, and we all worked effectively as a team to meet our daily goals.
Pros
Friendly Working Environment, Free Lunches
Cons
Healthcare
I love my work but not the pressure
Service Banker (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 8, 2016
I don't have problem selling products but the company don't understand that some people don't have bank of the west near to their place. I think they need to build more branches for the convinience of their customers and so people will sign up for new products.
Pros
Not too much pressure compare to other banks, observe the 15 mins break
Cons
Limited branches, hard to get approved credit card
I wouldn't suggest it
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYDecember 8, 2016
Poor management. When you are 'advised' by management to call the 'back office' to get information, and you can call the back office 3 different times and get 3 different answers to the same question, it is not consistent and def has a way to make its 'non-management' employees look and feel stupid
Stable
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanislaus County, CADecember 4, 2016
Great Company to work but benefits are very expensive. Sales goals are reasonable. There are many different job opportunities within the company in various departments.
Poor management is all.
Financial Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arvada, CODecember 2, 2016
Bank of the west is awesome!! Management was a little on the poor side. But can always relocate and have a better one. It was super stressful for me at the time. Especially being pregnant at the time.
Pros
Organized, good teamwork
Cons
poor management
drive up window customer service bank teller
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Hughson, CANovember 30, 2016
Overall, it was a good job that kept busy either helping customers or maintaining customer account files, we also promoted products offered by the bank.
N/a
VP Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 28, 2016
A lot of friendly people , small bank feel. Not to much pressure around sales... They have a good culture most people are willing to help. The software is dated.
Branch Manager / Vice President (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 22, 2016
Great place to work and have work life balance. However, it is still old school. I have learned to take my time with my clients and really get to know them.
Bank of the West
Commercial Loan Service Liaison Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CANovember 14, 2016
I really miss my old job but I was laid off. I had the opportunity to work along side my manager. It was challenging meeting all my dead lines all the while balancing. but I loved the challenged.
Pros
I miss my old job
Cons
I was laid off
Great Bank
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 14, 2016
I worked part-time as a teller, help open and close the bank. Did customer transactions, tried to help to see if we had other products that would help the customer.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Only part time
Productive, and fast paced workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CANovember 9, 2016
A lot of cash handling, a lot of clerical, and one on one customer interactions.

Learned how to problem solve accordingly, valuable customer service experiences, learned to be discreet and how to pay attention to detail.

Management and Co-workers were always helpful, hands on, respectful, easy to talk to, made work a bit more fun, and were always available when needed.

The hardest part was trying to remain calm and not to stress when other branches were going through frightening, tough times. Also when customers are being rude, you have to remember to stay calm and complete your due diligence before handing them cash.

The most enjoyable time, is when you can help out panicking customers, and are able to give them a sense of security. Talking to different customers and becoming familiar with them, having customers leave and come back happy, and appreciative for everything you try to do for them.
Pros
Christmas dinners, incentives, birthday celebrations, benefits, paid vacation
Job
Universal Banking Officer I (Current Employee) –  Littleton, CONovember 7, 2016
It is a good job, good pay, good bonuses, but overachieving goals, they are headed in a very sales oriented direction it seems like. There is a lot of room to promote.
Great people, womderful workspace, access to gym and downtown Portlamd.
Trust Administrator - Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 6, 2016
The job is the same as with Columbia Trust Company.

Start with client meetings, returning calls to any voice mails waiting, process and payment of bills for clients.

Every day is a learning experience. No day is the same. Every day brings opportunities to learn.

My Manager was down the hall from my office and he had an open door policy.

My co-workers and I worked as a team working for the same goal, providing excellent customer service.

Losing a client due to death or transfer of account.

My clients were wonderful. I enjoyed working with my partners in the trust business such as attorney's, accountants, insurance professionals, etc.
Pros
Cleints were great.
Cons
Commute and parkimg in downtown Portlamd, OR
Fun Detecting and Preventing Fraud
Vice President, Fraud Prevention (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2016
One of the most exciting events to happen for me at Bank of the West is when our fraud detection platform prevents fraud losses. Also exciting is the bank's beginning implementation of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in order to create fuzzy logic fraud detection scenarios.
Great Stepping stone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAOctober 26, 2016
If your looking for experience this is a great place to start. They give you great skills to move to a better job. The management is ok depending on the location. There is not very much more for advancement.
Good place to Work. Compensation could be beter
Financial Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAOctober 24, 2016
A typical work day at a Bank of the West branch starts with coffee and a short staff meeting reviewing sales metrics. Although this might not be a surprise to most people, Banks are pushing sales strategies to all employees levels including tellers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.