Bank of the West

Bank of the West Employee Reviews

A Bank in Transition
Back Office Employee (Current Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 24, 2013
As the banking industry is changing, the impact on employees is being felt at every level. Compliance (Legal) has become the main decision-making vehicle. There is very little employee empowerment. Raises are very small because current rating scale makes it virtually impossible to get higher than Exceeds Expectations.

Most employees are wonderful, professional people. I learned a lot working for Bank of the West--some good, some truly disappointing.
Pros
competitive compensation, holidays off, great benefits, coworkers are great.
Cons
low morale, reactive management, exempt employees will work over 40-hours regularly. terrible silo effect.
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 26, 2015
I worked in the customer service part of the company answering calls from customers.Training was great, they really do all they can to make sure youre not confused too much because there is a lot to know. Coworkers were all very helpful if i ever had a question. I enjoyed my time there even though I was only there for a few months. Only thing I did not like was having to sit at a desk for and extended period of time. That was not good for my back and they were not prompt in remedying that issue.
Pros
Very inviting atmosphere, great coworkers, good hours, good pay
Cons
Slow to accommodate health issues and customers are not very friendly
A great place to work
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 10, 2014
Responsible for monthly certifications for yearly audit. Helped customers with any customer service issue and always tried to make sure that it was resolved and they walked away happy. Made sure we were all meeting our quarterly referrals and sales numbers. Opened and closed the bank. Had a great staff to work with. We were a good team. The hardest is always how much work you had to get done behind the scenes but made sure the customer came first no matter what. The best part is how wonderful your co-workers were and that at the end of the day made the harder things easier. Has great insurance. Always treated all of us fairly.
Culturally based community bank
Financial Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 2, 2015
Good bank to work for. Really geared toward customer service while maintaining daily sales goals. Typical day at work is to greet clients as they enter the door, assess any banking needs, and sell products and services. If you're willing to learn they are willing to teach you and advance you. Most employees are easy to get along with and the overall goal of most branches is to promote the bank. Management changes frequently. Hardest part of the job for sales is acquiring deposits, and for operations is balancing register. Best part of job is the clients. They are usually very friendly and have been long time clients.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Commission tiers could use some work
A couple a times a year the bank chartered bus for Reno or Taheo
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 3, 2012
On entering the buikding you would be greeted by everone you can in contact with, which i felt may a great way to start the day. What I learned was how each department interacted with one another which made my various jobs very interesting. My co-workers weather they were in my direct department or not are usually very positive. The hardest part of my job would be in resolving a diffcult case. Two of the most enjoyable moments of my day indentifying the errors within the case resolution, and going on breaks or lunch with my co-workers.
Pros
go place to wrk for.
Amazing co-workers, great customers & poor management
Financial Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Provided exceptional customer service and assisted customers with loan application process, while keeping them updated on the status of their application and additional services. Building customer relationship and networking for new business opportunities to increase/surpass my goal. My co-workers were a tremendous team with great skills, terrific customer service attitudes and enthusiasm. I truly believe there is no room for advance unless you are scratching the managements back. I Human Resources is not a advocate for employees at all, and does not take action on employee reported concerns or complaints; they are very pro-management.
Bank of the west was a good place too work, becuase of the welcoming atmostphere
Teller (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 20, 2013
A typical day at work involved running transactions accurately and proficiently. While referring products and services, I leaned like at all my other jobs and how too be a team player working in a small branch atmosphere. Management was good, very excepting, I also always had fun when times would get slow having a good laugh with my co-workers. The hardest part about the job was referring products and services, but most intriguing also. My favorite part of the job was researching how all of the other departments co-insided
Pros
contests, we would win free lunches
Cons
could'nt take a break if we used the restroom
good company work for
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha NE 68114June 4, 2014
Collaborated with Branch Manager and Financial Service Consultants to create strategic plans to enhance customer satisfaction and branch profitability. .
· Work closely with other departments to promote sales contests, clarify information, and distribute reports. Gathered, analyzed, and reported daily/weekly/monthly sales and service statistics.
· Instrumental in improving customer-satisfaction ratings through suggestion, development, and implementation of new reporting procedures.
· Increased employee knowledge with development and implementation of product knowledge training clinics.
· Enhanced employee performance and attendance through daily mentoring, one-on-one discussions and motivational strategies.
· Received outstanding positive comments from team members on employee reviews, as well as exceptional feedback from senior management
Pros
more customer service than sales
Cons
staffiing and
Diligent work enviornment with extensive training
Agribusiness Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 17, 2013
In the time I was an analyst, I was able to broadly expand my knowledge and experience in banking and throughly financial analysis of both individuals and companies. I was provided a substantial amount of training including a full Credit College curriculum provided by the Risk Management Association, cash flow workshops, and budget preparation and monitoring. I was a part of a great division in the bank which was very supportive of furthing my education and training. There were several mentors that the junior staff were able to work very closely with. Typically, a work day is very busy due to the high volume of work completed by the department I worked in. Constant analysis, problem solving, and team work was required.
A comfortable and easy place to work
SENIOR CREATIVE SERVICES OFFICER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 15, 2012
Bank of the West is a very "easy" place to work. The project schedule and timelines are well managed. You have time to think about a project and really produce a nice final piece. The financial banking environment can be challenging for a designer in San Francisco, but overall it is acceptable. There are no "perks" like free soda, bonuses, and team building activities, but you do get a much more rigid day-to-day schedule that allows you to leave at the same time consistently.
Pros
schedule, health care, hr, good co-workers, security, and location.
Cons
no bonuses, lower pay, and difficult to be "creative".

Want to know more about Bank of the West?

Ask a question
Work environment
Financial Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAMarch 12, 2015
It is a customer service based company that focuses on the needs of clients that walk in the door. It is a fun company to work for with great co-workers that make it fun. I have learned a lot since I first started in banking. I have learned to deal with diificult customers and deal with different situations. I have learned how to utilize the different computer systems that constantly continue to change. I have learned about the different products and services that fit each individual, financial needs is not a one size fits all we have to accomodate each client according to his/her needs. I deal with different customers each day, therefore each case and lifestyle is different, what may work for one person may not work for another.
Pros
great environment, commission
Cons
expensive healthcare
Enjoyable working with the customers
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Corcoran, CAJanuary 2, 2014
Every day I did inquiries for the customers of their accounts, Helped give the customers information on different types of services that were fit for their needs, balanced out my drawer at the end of my shift, and assisted the supervisors with counting and balancing the currency. I learned to better my communication skills, along with an advancement in my customer service skills. Management and my co-workers were sometimes unprofessional. The hardest part of my job was dealing with counterfeit checks. What I enjoyed the most was assisting the customers and meeting their needs.
Pros
advancement in my customer service skills, learned more responsibility, weekends and holidays off
Cons
healthcare, and hours per week
Great place to work!
Mortgage Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COOctober 7, 2015
Actually started with First Federal Bank. Then we were bought by Commercial Federal Bank, then again by Bank of the West. Although the bank changed names a few times, my employment was continuous.

I worked in many different positions. Retirement plans supervisor, personal banker, mortgage loan officer, manager of two separate branches (simultaneously), & finally, mortgage loan officer trainer.

No complaints about the company, the working environment, or my co-workers.

The economic downturn in 2008 cause a big reduction in staff - including myself.
Pros
Very upbeat place to work. Made lifelong friends there.
Cons
The 2008 downturn (smile)
Lost touch with the basics of banking.
Financial Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 20, 2015
A typical day at work starts with making sales calls. Call leads are created by the computer system. The leads that the computer generates are alarmingly off base. Many leads were on charged off accounts. I've learned that hard work and success means nothing to bank of the west. The most enjoyable part of the job are the customers. If it wasn't for my customer relationships I would have never been able to work there for 10 years.
Pros
good healthcare plan.
Cons
lack of any upper management concern.
Excited about the changes
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 17, 2015
Bank of the West is going through a great transformation and I am ready to be along for the ride. We are increasing our technology and products we offer clients. I am very excited about the changes. They are going to work on learning and development going forward I know that was a concern in the past but they have already implemented some great things. The hardest part of the job is turnover but I think as the management stays positive at the branches and is on board with the Bank of the West business plan this will change. I enjoy the people that I work with and like helping people with their finances.
Fun place to work with great customers
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, OROctober 6, 2014
Started the day off with the overdraft notices. Also daily check of various branch details of the day. Weekly cash incoming and outgoing shipment. Processing customers transactions. Loved my branch manager, but not so much the upper management. Co-workers were easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was trying to convince the scarce customer base to try new things when it comes to banking. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was so close to home.
Pros
very close to home, unerstood what was required of me
Cons
not many locations
Love the job, hate the pressure to SELL!
CSR (Current Employee) –  Arizona, ArizonaOctober 6, 2014
When I was hired I was told there was some selling which I didn't mind. I thought this is an easy nice part time job, no stress. However couples month later (even still in training) i felt the pressure! This job is wonderful besides the selling. Tellers don't get paid enough to do a personal bankers job or market for the company. If you don't sell enough to make your quote each quarter you will be terminated. This is unfair to me considering the pay and compensation we get....
Pros
great management and nice environment
Cons
sell or lose your job.
Professional but exciting
Financial Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, IowaAugust 28, 2014
Providing customers with assistance and exceptional customer service during and after the application process, while constantly keeping them updated on the status of their application and providing any additional assistance needed.
Providing support throughout the branch and assisting as needed in any other area.
Oversee the branch in the absence of the Vice President.

Hardest part of the position is cold calls, get hung up on and yelled at some times.

Most enjoyable was helping customers with every aspect of their banking needs. Reaching sales goals
Pros
room for advancement, ability to make bonuses
Cons
weekends
Great culture companied with great values
Cash Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 3, 2013
Bank of the West provides a great place for finance professional. Employees are relatively productive in all departments of the bank. However this company lacks significant training to its employees causing frustration with internal and external partners. Many of the banks managers have been put in place due to their length of time at the bank and the banks internal development focus. This has lead to many promotions to management positions without the proper skill set to be an effective manager.
Pros
easy enviroment, employer doesnt expect much from employee
Cons
management, salary, benefits
Exciting and fun workplace
Financial Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 14, 2015
The banking environment is exciting and fun because I am able to meet new people and assist them with different problems on a daily basis. From this job, I have learned a lot about banking and the importance of working with goal oriented team members as well. I understand the importance of being team players and how one person's performance can endanger the whole branch. I have learned how to work in a team and interact with everybody to make our work days more enjoyable.
Pros
assisting with new problems and learning new things on a daily basis.
Cons
dealing with angry customers or co workers.