Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Stressful
COMPLIANCE OFFICER, AVP (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 24, 2017
Stressful environment. Cut-throat atmosphere. No job security. Highly political. High turn-over. Frequent change of managers. Employees are overworked.
More sales than expected
Service Banker (Current Employee) –  missouriJuly 24, 2017
Fairly easy, a lot of work place gossip, and felt like a salesperson more than a customer service rep. Slower paced than what I was used to. If you like to be up and active this isn't for you. Don't be fooled by title this is a full blown retail sales job.
Pros
Hour lunch, great hours, friendly people, progressive company
Cons
Poor choice of supervisors, slow paced, very sales intensive
fun
Universal Banker I (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, COJuly 20, 2017
I did like to work with the team I was working with. I learned lots when I worked at this location. I loved my managers I had. A day at work was always steady at this location it was never slow.
Free Coffe
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 19, 2017
Wonderful experience, I had the opportunity to learn and acquired new experience on the bank industry while on an office environment. My team work was the best I could have on my life.
Good starting place
Service Banker (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 18, 2017
As a company Bank of the west is average company to work for. they take care of their employees better than some I have herd of. I however just had a bad experience with my specific management and team.
Pros
lots of benefits and chances to move up
Cons
hard to get breaks, close quarters
Guided by Informed Leaders
AVP, Project Manager 1 (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 17, 2017
A structure has been created at Bank of the West that keeps the interest of the individual in mind. The workplace culture in the Payment Solutions division was developed with a growth mindset for the company and the individual.
impossible to pull data together
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 16, 2017
The bank is in transition. I believe with their restructure, and hopefully updated IT systems/software, it will be a nice place to work in the future.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
little training, old software, had to pull from many separate systems to get data required for analysis
Fun Environment, team members and Supervisors
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 13, 2017
Working for Bank of the West was such a pleasure. I loved my team members, who were all carefully picked by the supervisors to ensure we all messed together. The management was always so understanding and genuinely cared about each worker. The benefits were for medical/health were great and the work house were exactly what I was looking for. I loved the position I had.
learned and grew. and survived several rounds of layoffs.
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2017
Started out as Regional Compliance Manager at Bank's broker dealer. Bank (and broker dealer) bought out. Eventually, buying bank merged b/ds and surviving b/d moved to Nebraska,
Pros
good people
Cons
job security uncertainty
One of the best banks to work for
Service Banker III (Current Employee) –  Encino, CAJuly 11, 2017
I love this bank! You learn to be a real banker rather than a sales banker ONLY. I came from a larger bank where I only learned the very basics of customer service and to meet my sales quotas.
Pros
Small bank feel
Focused on Goals, not on Employees
Relationship Banker II, Universal Banker III (Current Employee) –  Breckenridge, COJuly 10, 2017
BOW Seems to focus their efforts on their Business Goals, and not necessarily on the advancement of their employees. We burn ourselves out attempting to hit milestones, however they are very difficult to reach for Bonus payout. Our raises are determined by if we exceed expectations, which are these hard to reach goals.
Not Recommended
Service Banker (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 10, 2017
no benefits in most of times, and not much help for building up your career. leadership are not in good understanding of employees and are not taking enough time to meet the needs.
Great Work/Life Balance & Upper Management Support
Universal Banker II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 10, 2017
Bank of the West still has a small bank feel with the backing and support of a big bank. I am able to reach out to upper management without the hassle of going through every single manager before them when reaching out for help or advice on career advancement.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Pay
fast paced
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 10, 2017
Very fast paced environment, easy going, and flexible with scheduling and hours for those who are students. Management is very open to change and new challenges
Fun workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CAJuly 8, 2017
A fun team orientated job, dealing with many customers. Management was always very helpful and willing to teach new things. Learned different computer programs dealing with accounting, bookkeeping an data entry. The most enjoyable part of this job for me was talking with the many different bank clients that came in everyday, helping them with their accounts, answering any questions they had, an overall helping them to enjoy their experience at the bank.
Pros
Talking an meeting different people.
Cons
Not enough hours an not very good pay
Unstable
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 7, 2017
I have worked at Bank of the West for nearly 5 years. Many changes occurring throughout Bank of the West now. It has never been this unstable to be employed as a support person. Many people are leaving.
Fun Workplace
Home Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 7, 2017
My position was to meet with bank and outside clients to find the right home loan to fit their needs. I also sold additional bank products depending on the customers needs at the time.
Pros
Great environment
no stability
Bank Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 5, 2017
Bank of The West I can not comment I worked there when it was Sanwa Bank. Unfortunately, my job was eliminated in 2003 and would no be fair to share a comment or option.
Make working environment comfortable and less tension
Commercial Flood Insurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 5, 2017
Need open communication with immediate manager and supervisors. To provide accurate job training to make each candidate perform they're work accurately. For everyone to become a team player and share ideas to get a fast result or resolution to each situation or issues. Make the working environment friendly. Maybe to add social events in the office such as potlucks, or ice cream day to get to know each of your colleagues.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Works great with schedules
Flex Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sanger, CAJuly 1, 2017
Works well with school schedules. Needs better management and policy changes. Work environment was very enjoyable. The hardest part was the management. The most enjoyable was the customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.