Bankers Life Employee Reviews

Personal growth and development is a plus
Manager, Life Underwriting (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2015
The ability to develop and growth within the CNO Financial / Bankers Life culture is highly encouraged. Employee development is a core iniative of the corporation.
Needs improvement of mangement
Insurance agent (Current Employee), oklahoma cityJune 29, 2015
I started and have had a hard time learning any thing the whole field of agents and our financial advisor quit and I have yet to get the learning I need. Which in return means I'm not making the compensation I need to pay my bills.
Lack of Leads and Communication
Insurance Agent - Sales (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 19, 2015
Calling people that have been contacted by other reps. in office some times 2 or 3 times in a week. Lack of management and training in office.
Deceitful recruitment strategies.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2015
Pros: Nice coworkers
Cons: bad management, conflicting mission statement, impossible to make money
They say you'll be given warm leads and that you'll have control over your schedule, then they give you recycled cold leads and micromanage your activity. They say in their recruitment presentation that you'll be making money on split commissions by your first week, turns out your field trainers fill the week with maintenance calls that don't pay and then they tell you you can't collect commission anyway because you didn't make enough calls or stay at the office late enough, even though you're not being paid to be at the office. They say they're out to help retirees secure their retirement, but then they spend staff meetings announcing how much money everyone made in commissions.

The same day I quit, I received 2 phone calls from a recruiter saying that they came across my resume online (the one that is updated to say I worked at Bankers Life) and wanted to offer me an interview. Clearly they don't pay any attention to who they are recruiting.
very fast paced
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Evansville INJune 11, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: just commission
The management and fellow agents were great people to work with. The only problem I had was that it was commission based pay. Starting out when it is slow, it cost to much on all the driving six days a week. I could not afford it.
Commission only - need second source of income to make it
AZ Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Mesa, AZJune 10, 2015
Pros: Cold calling aged leads on the phone which once you get through training you have to buy!
Cons: Lots of cold calling 2 office days per week over 10 hours, lots of driving around the state the rest of the 6 day work week.
It is a commission only business. It would be an ideal fit for a sales-minded person. Without a steady stream of income, it is impossible to pay for the gas and car insurance necessary to continue seeing clients. A person with other income streams would have a much easier time staying long enough to build a clientele and get the residuals that keep agents afloat when sales are lean. The commissions are very fair and bonuses can also make a successful agent very wealthy in the long run.
Challenging occupation with opportunities to advance. Commission only is deal breaker.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Salem, ORJune 5, 2015
Pros: Great people, Happy environment, Making a difference
Cons: Commission ONLY, NO financial security, Costly start-up
Office days are spent dialing phones to potential clients for hours. Calls are not "cold" but most potential clients have no idea why you are calling nor have any interest in speaking with you. Management is great and helpful.Co-workers are supportive and insightful. Commission only will sound appealing in the beginning. Once you go a month or so and only make a few hundred dollars it really starts to take a toll. There is NO base pay which makes it a cutthroat position. Helping individuals plan their future and secure a life is an amazing feeling.
DO NOT WORK HERE
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJune 3, 2015
Pros: meeting new people, learning a lot about insurance and retirement
Cons: no money, not professional, no security, cold calling
I consider myself a smart person but I fell for the promise of money and signed up to work for Bankers Life. Not only do you have to pay several hundred dollars to get trained and licensed, but the entire time you are doing this you make no money and are expected to spend hours dedicated to training.

Once I made it past the training and started working at the office I was shocked by the atmosphere. They may be dressed like professionals but they don't act like it. The language and behaviors of the majority of the agents is shocking. I appreciate a fun atmosphere but not a crude one.

You're required to make cold calls 2 days a week from an out of date list that everyone uses. You use a script that is misleading to customers and promises updates for medicare that the agents don't provide. The leads that experienced agents get are not exclusive and are sold to other insurance companies, but the agents still have to pay for them. You are always paired up with someone in the field so commission is split.

I worked for the company for a total of 2 months and made just over $500.00. I quit because I needed a job that would allow me to pay for a place to live. The sad part is during this time I was partnered with the supervisors and top performing agents. They couldn't be bothered to ensure we made any money.

The icing on the cake for this whole situation is the charge backs. if a customer cancels the policy you write you are required to pay back the commission you made. Four months after quitting I was told I owe the company almost $600. More money than I ever received from them. The reason apparently being that every single policy I helped write had been cancelled and I was required to pay insurance for a year (I was only there 2 months) to cover if I made any mistakes.

This company ruined my life. Do not work here unless you are already rich and want to work with immature liars.
Good working environment
Insurance/Manager (Former Employee), Carmel, INMay 31, 2015
Mondays you plan meeting with Clients ( Senior US citizens) could Institution who want advise about how to invest their money so that they wouldn't outlive their savings or helps them select the best health and life insurance suitable for their specific situation.

The rest of the week, the agents meet with the clients to listen to them and conduct interviewing fact finding to uncover realized and unrealized needs and later conduct need-based presentation to shed light on what the company can offer.

Team working environment it is common for producers to call for colleges who has more knowledge than you to work together to help a client in a particular area.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling you have for helping other get protected against things that could dramatically change their life should something happen to them. in other word the feeling of being helpful to others.

The hardest part of the job? Well I prefer to call it the challenging part of the job is how to outcome objections. Because people who often object to buy are usually the good buyers so you get find every possible ways to close the sale as many times as you could with effective techniques to have a "GO"
Mass hire insurance company, decent commission, patience required
Insurance Agent/Manager (Former Employee), Cape Girardeau, MOMay 26, 2015
Pros: Freedom of Schedule, Good compensation possibility
Cons: Mass Hire Company, Not steady pay, A lot of Prospecting.
This company turned out to be a fun place to work overall. I enjoyed the people and the ability to somewhat make my own schedule. However it did reflect my lifestyle at the time and this position is not for everyone. I wouldn't have been able to keep this position with my current family status. It is 100 percent commission and the pay can vary by paycheck by substantial amounts. There were abundant months and there were definately months that I struggled. As a single guy with no kids this was easier to take at the time. This company will hire anyone. They are a mass hire company and will hire anyone who is willing to get an insurance license. Most dont remain with the company more than 3 months. Little opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to re locate.
Very good company
Independent Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: Very helpful, good training
Cons: 100% commission, some upfront cost
I have enjoyed working and learning about the insurance industry. The people and management are extremely helpful and willing to show you the ropes. It is a 100% commission job so you need to be prepared for that, but if you want to give insurance a try I would say this is one of the best places to do that.
Crazy Atmosphere
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMay 11, 2015
Pros: Unlimited Income
Cons: Immediate Manager & office tactics
A typical day required hustle , Hustle & more Hustle, I learned that the general public in Fresno California have good intentions to secure themselves with a insurance product but they could not afford to do so. Management had a hard time maintaining a crew and hiding stress. Unfortunately is was generally a depressing state of affairs which made it hard on all involved. There was not enough business to sustain me.
Great career opportunity. Strong team work enviroment.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 11, 2015
Make phone calls to set appointments with clients to talk about insurance products. I learned a lot about life insurance and medicare. New management and great co workers. Setting appointments. Sitting down with people and developing relationships.
it was a complete hoax non professional
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee), Columbia, SCApril 27, 2015
Pros: less pay
Cons: short breaks
This was the worst job ever with no advancement manager was not professional at all i was calling people nonstop i was trained properly but this place has a quota they screwed over on me
great training
Sales Agent (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLApril 27, 2015
Pros: lots of training
Cons: lots of cold calling, 100% commission, lots of driving.
Bankers life was a great get in the door environment. Great training from very experienced individuals. very friendly atmosphere with great bonus structure.
Commission-only sales.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 19, 2015
Pros: We can gain comissions on sales to ourselves
Cons: Cold calling leads on the phone, and door knocking are where we start.
The worst part about working for Bankers was the fact that it was a commission-only profession. It would be an ideal fit for a sales-minded person. Without a steady stream of income, it is impossible to pay for the gas and car insurance necessary to continue seeing clients. A person with other income streams would have a much easier time staying long enough to build a clientele and get the residuals that keep agents afloat when sales are lean. The commissions are very fair and bonuses can also make a successful agent very wealthy in the long run.
To many bosses
Independent Agent (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 15, 2015
Could be better, there is a lot of demand for production and if you are not producing from day one then you get swept under the carpet. That is my experience at least.
great place to work
Sales Agent (Former Employee), sarasota, flMarch 18, 2015
bankers life is great fun and exciting place to work. i highly suggest applying if you are a go-getter and have everything in order.
Can be Productive Under the Right People
Medicare & Retirement Specalist (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great incentives
Cons: some have animocity and personal issues
Only hired because of being gay. Work ability was not a factor one manger stated. Some people can make a whole company look bad
Typical Day at bankers
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Egg Harbor Township, NJMarch 5, 2015
You enter the office and pick up possible candidates for life an health insurance and make the calls to those and other possible persons to set them up with their insurance needs.