Bankers Life Employee Reviews

You would have to love cold calling and outdoor sales
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2017
As with many sales jobs, the typical day for insurance sales agents. starts with a meeting to discuss goals. After, you make cold calls for approximately an hour or two then hit the road. The hardest part of the job would be closing clients who do not see the need for having a life insurance policy outside of their company provided policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people who seemingly enjoy insurance sales.
Pros
High morale
Cons
Door-to-door sales, cold calling
N/a
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2017
It was very stressful! I dont think i slept much during training! A whole lot of work its almost like going back to school! You do not get paid during training and its like 1 month long 10 hours a day!
Tough but rewarding.
Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CA 95661June 23, 2017
There's so much potential to make money here, there really is, it's just so hard to get started. If you want to try it, you're going to need to have money saved up, or work a second job for the first year, as you won't really be making any money until the second year and beyond. Once you make it through the first year though, you can really start making good money, but you have to work really hard at it, and be prepared to get disappointed almost all the time. It's really hard if you have any kind of self-esteem problems, as constant rejection is bound to wear upon anyone's psyche. Also, be prepared to work six days a week, drive hundreds of miles a week, spend tons of money on gas, and have very little time to spend with your loved ones, since you will be working all the time. The company and its people are really fantastic, there's a great culture, and a real good environment, with lots of team-building activities, and sales campaigns with rewards to motivate one to make sales. If you want to take your career into your own hands, this is the job for you.
Insurance Agent
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 22, 2017
Bankers Life is very competitive working environment. All its employees work on commission. Bankers Life was not up front about hidden agent fees in the orientation process with its agents.
Columbia Southeastern Recruiting Center
Recruiter Cold Caller (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 22, 2017
I believe in the company for what they do for our seniors, as for there employees well that's a whole other story. I have worked for this company for years and lost my job for being to loyal to a Boss. I have never heard of such a thing. But I guess you get what you get for being a loyal employee. The recruiting center in Columbia is horrible, I feel sorry for the great recruiters who are left in limbo knowing this center is a sinking ship and no one is saying anything to them. The job was an easy, enjoyable,fun job helping individuals start a career and make something for them and there family. We had a lot of good times and bad days there but mostly all good,till our real boss was terminated. Then the office went straight down the drain..
Pros
Great memories environment family oriented work place
Cons
stressful at times but we did our job and made it through the day.
High paced
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 22, 2017
It was great working for Bankers and my supervisor in particular. It is a very frustrating job if you don't have a great deal of patience for making phone calls.
Fun
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Loveland, OHJune 21, 2017
A typical day at work would depend on the day. Some days were office days and some days where field days. Office days we would call potential clients and have team meetings, while field days we would be meeting clients and proposing sales of insurance. The hardest part was having a deal reverse and losing the commission you made off of that deal.
Great place with great products
Life and Health Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 21, 2017
I don't know any insurance work that is as solid for products.... Does require full attention to get your book of business. I focused person can earn a very good living....
be ready to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 20, 2017
You get what you put in. If you are not self motivated, prepare to fail. There is no hourly wage so it's up to you. Huge benefits for those who succeed, nothing for those who are there for a quick dollar. Know your self. It can be a huge (career) opportunity, or a waste of time. Its all on you.
Pros
unlimited income
Expect to have you know everything
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNJune 20, 2017
I did not receive proper training. it is a full commission job so when I wasnt able to make sales the time was running out for bills. I needed something more organized and stable.
productive and fun place to work at
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJune 19, 2017
great team work and work enviornment. you learn every day about the senior market and how to help people plan for their retirement. everyone treats you like family. hardest part is staying consistent
Insurance Agent
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJune 19, 2017
Very "on your own" environment, make appts during the "office days" and run appts on "field days", hard to get appts., not very many people interested
Pros
very optimistic environment
Cons
very hard to make money (solely based on commission), no set hours, too time consuming for the money being made
It was not great
Associate Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 14, 2017
It was a stressful environment with decent management help, but commission pay and 10 hour days were a poor mix for me, and for a lot of potential employees.
Pros
management was fine
Cons
hours, pay, culture
i have nothing good to say about this job at the moment
INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJune 13, 2017
I wouldn't recommend working there if you have kids
they are not understanding to life problems
was my dream job and because its commission based they fired me for doing nothing wrong
i was doing what i should and was still fired out of no where
fun place to work
Insurance Agent And Retirement Planner (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJune 12, 2017
fun place to work. i like the management team they helped out a lot.
I loved dealing with people i am very customer oriented and always put the customer first. Hardest part of the job was commission sales, when You did not make any sales u did not get paid
It was alright
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 11, 2017
Good, just not for me. Relying on door knocking and cold calling is a tough part of the job. The leads aren't the best. Relaying on this job to pay bills seems next to impossible. No one in the office was hitting bonus.
Pros
People
Cons
no guaranteed income
Poor Management
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 8, 2017
I learned a lot about the insurance industry, and how insurance products are handled. The workplace culture was very unprofessional, and on a low budget. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work my own schedule. The worst part was working with poor management.
Fast paced, positive work environment
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 7, 2017
Typical day at work included two office days per week, spent calling perspective clients trying to obtain appointments for the week. The other three days of the week spent going home to home meeting with existing and perspective clients helping evaluate their insurance and financial needs.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was meeting with people. I am very much a people person and enjoy connecting and helping people.
The hardest part of the job would have to be the prospecting side. I have had very good success with telephone prospecting, but not all are good on the phone.
My manager is what held me together in this job. This is a very hard career to be successful at mostly because people tend to give up to soon. I am very blessed to have a manager that was there to pick me up when I was down. You get told no enough in one day for days and days it tends to drag you down. It is incredibly important to have a strong support system.
Pros
excellent training
Cons
no benefits, lots of traveling
Great learning experience
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 5, 2017
Great training program for those starting in the insurance industry. Make sure you have a large amount of savings before staring here. There may be times when you may go for long periods without any pay at all
Fun environment, competitive compensation
Retirement Specialist / Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 4, 2017
This is a great career field to get into, however, it is strictly commission. You must be willing to put in the work required to be successful. Building your own business is completely self motivated and self driven.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bankers Life. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8