Bankers Life Employee Reviews in United States

Training was not good
Insurance Agent/Sales (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 25, 2016
You're told you will make a thousand or so a week. Which is not true. This is a contracted position (1099) office area dated very small cubes with phone. This is 100% commissions on sales of insurance. Training is sporadic. You are expected to work long hours 6 days a week including holidays and then study at home. Most field days you are off late. 9 pm or so. I had very little time with family. They made big promises that never happened.
Pros
Cons
No income or very little
If your a crook. This is the job for you.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJune 22, 2016
It cost me $3000 to work there 3 months. It was the worst situation i have ever put myself in. I had over $3000 in commission the first month. A little more the next couple months. So the money looked good at first. Then they started charging back all my sales.. I made 2 bonuses and got the Certificates but the manager claims the money ($525) was given to away because i was in the hospital the day of the meeting. I still owe the company $1500. Add in gas and all the other supplies you need. you will lose over a $1000 EVERY MONTH. The company is built on lies, deception and a high turnover of agents.
Pros
Cons
everything you can think of
Selling you a dream
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 9, 2016
I went to the little meeting and all it is selling you a dream 100% commension and anything thing like that selling insurance to old people door to door is like maybe you wont eat. Plus the guy that was trying to get us to join his team was over doing it toooo much like it sounded good but he was much. Plus whatever you made he got a cutt out of everyone's check just for being to his team. I got a lot of information just by going to th meeting but don't get the money sign mess you up to going if you don't wanna sell insurance and like 100% commension based
Pros
MAKE YOUR OWN MONEY
Cons
100% COMMENSION
Good sales for the month
District Representative (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 2, 2016
I would review my appointments for the day and get the necessary documents ready to take with me for sales.

I learned how to close sales.

My managers would let me do what I needed and at the beginning of each month we would have a meeting to discuss sales of the previous month.

The hardest part of my job was I was young and had no experience selling long term care to older people.

The best part of my job was pushing myself each month to sell better than the month before. Also interacting with people everyday.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Salary
Lack of Compensation
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Swansea, ILJune 13, 2016
I worked their for several months calling on leads to set up appointments but most of their leads were clients that they have contacted before that were not interested the first time they called them and were very aggravated with the second or more calls. Their was no pay in the beginning until you actually went out in the field with a manager or another salesperson that only had a few months experience. But then when you did go out with a salesperson you would only get a small percentage if you were the actual person that presented the companies sales presentation. I was let go after working their for several months and was charged money even after I was gone that I had to pay them. This is not a company I recommend.
Pros
Cons
No Pay, Poor Leads
Great opportunity
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXMay 23, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Bankers Life. Their training was thorough and complete. Their office culture was welcoming and casual while still very professional and productive. My co-workers, in every office I was in, were helpful and encouraging.

I ended my time with Bankers because of an hour-plus commute and vehicle issues. I would not hesitate to go back to work for them in the future if the opportunity presents itself.
Pros
Professional atmosphere, leadership without over-management, thorough training
Cons
Commute distance, having to set my own appointments.
Upbeat and motivational
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 16, 2016
This place was usually fairly up beat and motivational, with great training. But it is typically for those with a nack for sales. Its strictly commission based pay and it requires a lot of cold calling in the beginning. The hardest part of the job for me was learning to get over someone saying no, and move on. The best part was when you actually make a sale .
Pros
The potential of creating residual income.
Cons
Lots of cold calls on the phone and no income without results.
Poor Place to Work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAMay 9, 2016
Due to the company's structure it is impossible to build a clientele base
Banker's Life bases its company values based on old fashioned stereotypical views on senior citizens
They have new agents try and build a clientele base by calling outdated house phone numbers of senior citizens and offering products that don't meet their needs
due to the limited job market, it makes cold calling and cold selling even harder
Pros
nothing
Cons
comission only sexist work environment
Sacrifice everything to earn a buck.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 5, 2016
Very long hours 6 days a week. Never anytime to do daily tasks, spend with loved ones, or just relax.

Everything is a competition, whose making the most sales, earned the most, who worked the most- not real conducive to a "team" environment-even though they preach that on a regular basis.

This is an expensive job both in time and money. Multiple required equipments, Gas, wear and tear on your car, dress code, food- most days not even time for a short fast food meal.

I will give kudos for integrity. They are no joke when it comes to customer care. Will not allow a sale that is NOT in the best interest of the client. Really try hard to maintain a long term personal relationship with clients.
Rewarding position to help people prepare for life after retirement
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 26, 2016
In my time here this position taught me that I enjoy helping people. With the products that we offered, Medicare plans, life insurance, home health, long term care, and annuities, asking the right questions helped me to earn trust and ultimately help people with the right product based on a person's current life situation.
Great people to work with but the management needs work
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaApril 15, 2016
A typical day is you coming in seated for 9 hours or more and try to convince people to come into your city for an interview.
Management: some of the team leads will lead you to drown. A lot of favoritism. The people who get good cities that will bonus however you do have the chance to as long as you work had, when you don't bonus your job will be threatened.
Coworkers: great and great help.
Hardest part of the job is not having any paid time off to do things you need to do. So if yo have a vacation you will have to take off, no pay, and may chance losing your bonus and not able to make it up. The most enjoyable part is having a job.
Pros
YOU GET ACKNOWLEDGED WHEN YOU BONUS.
Cons
SHORT BREAKS
I used to love to go into work..
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLJune 27, 2016
1 thing i had learned was how to use an office computer along with a phone. I also learned how to have my snack & work too. I was allowed a drink in the office. I was a very fast learner I caught on rather fast and i was also a fast learner on how to save the appointment on the computer. I had learned That I Could Also Have a Work Career along with My social life which consist of a few people other than the Church family I have I Loved Working For the Company. The Only Thing That Bothered Me Was The Fact That Because I Had Broke My Ankle & I Had To Have Surgery On It & I Was To Be Replaced Almost as Fast as They Hired Me, They Said The Following Week When I Called The Following Monday I Was Told I Had Been Replaced By Another Person Simply Because They Had To Meet Their Quotas.......
Pros
I made pretty good money At first..
Cons
I don't know what it was but i always felt like I Didn't Belong..
Not a Good Job
Health and Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 24, 2016
This company is a pyramid scheme, you will not make the money they promise you will make. Long hours, driving all over the city to make 200.00 a week. Plus if the customer does not pay their premiums they charge back the commission that you were paid . No way to make a living and put a roof over your head and food on the table.
Revolving door
Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2016
Regardless of the insane post. NO entry level agent will earn 100k. this will take at least 3 years to build up a book. be prepared to work long hours, earn minimal commission, and push product to low income clients. This is not a job if you are looking for something short term. If you plan on making this your career there are many great benefits and the long term residual may reach the 100k mark. the position does not require a difficult exam and everyone gets hired its up to you if you want to stay.
Pros
easy to get insurance license, everyone is hired
Cons
long hours, minimal pay for first 3 years
Good choice for self-starters.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 13, 2016
An exceptional opportunity and environment for motivated individuals to excel and advance their career. The job does focus heavily on prospecting and finding clientele. Also, is a great way to meet members of your community and assist them with protecting their families, income, and assets.
love it here! yes its hard work somedays but you make your hours! Bills get paid and i get to see my children!! GREAT FOR SINGLE PARENTS!
AGENT (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 17, 2016
I googeled bankers life just like the rest of you! But my papa always taught me dont always listen to others! Bankers life is what you make it! So if you like to lay around all day this is not the job for u! It is what u make it!
Mostly positive, everyone helpful and incouraging.
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2016
People helpful and positive and always available to train and learn from. Constant support from Management.

Convenient location to work. Good office environment

Learned a lot ab out Life Insurance

The hardest part is all commission pay
Pros
Occaisionaly free breakfast
Cons
Commision
Disgusting Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eastpointe, MIMarch 25, 2016
They hired me due to my experience with all aspects of Medicare. What they didn't tell me was that I was to push senior clients towards Medicare Advantage and supplemental plans that are beyond overpriced. All supplements have to cover the same things, the only difference is the price. How can you live with yourselves every day?
Great Place to Work
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Loveland, OHFebruary 24, 2016
I have been with Bankers Life for two years. Having never done a commission based sales job I was naturally nervous but the training and support that the team has given me has been amazing! I love the flexibility and the relationship building. Most of all though, I have been able to start a new life for my family. We recently just bought a house, and I accredit that to Bankers Life and the tools and resources that they have given me.

Amazing Place to Work.
A Great Opportunity
Unit Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJFebruary 16, 2016
I have been here for almost 14 years. I started as an agent and had many management positions. Over the years, I have gained great new experiences and opportunities. The company wide culture is one of support. Not just locally, but nationwide. The most successful people are eager and willing to help new and struggling people. The people up the ladder really care about your success. You do have to work hard, as you would in any professional career. Here, we help people and work with people who care.

2.8