BankNewport, founded in 1819 and currently holding $1 Billion in assets, is an FDIC-insured savings bank. Along with its OceanPoint Financial Partners - OceanPoint Insurance Agency, Inc., Smith Mack & Associates, Meredith & Clarke, and Narragansett Underwriting Group - BankNewport is proud to serve the financial needs of customers from banking offices located throughout southeastern New England.
Two Pelham Street was the home of David Melville, one of the first directors of the Savings Bank of Newport as it was then called. It was in Mr. Melville's home that the first office of the Bank was located. Most colonial homes were set on fieldstone or granite foundations. The exterior of the dwelling was often clapboard siding from eves to ground level. The Bank was directly across the street from Townsend's Coffee House, (pictured here), where sea captains often conducted their business.
In 1930 the huge bronze doors of the Washington Square office opened for the first time. The tall, fluted columns rising to the ornately decorated ceiling, and the marble and bronze counters, convinced everyone that the Savings Bank of Newport had acquired a home worthy of its years of service.
Cozy Corner, as it was known, welcomed its newest neighbor in 1967, when the Portsmouth office opened in that part of town. Heralded then, and still today, as one of the most beautiful bank offices in the area. Also in 1987, we changed our name from The Savings Bank of Newport to Bank of Newport.
Although the latest addition to BankNewport's family does not sit on a foundation of fieldstone or granite, the Warren office carries the traditional clapboard siding from eves to ground level like its ancestor at Two Pelham Street. A new name and logo were introduced in 2004, making Bank of Newport, BankNewport. Thus, "we are new all over again!" At least for now. – less–ZoomInfo