Banner Health Employee Reviews

Productive Team Environment
Food Service Culinary & Nutrition Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2017
There is nothing to say short of an excellent environment where I can grow as a manager and to aspire to even more! It is an awesome work culture of people and employees, a job where it doesn't feel like work through all the compassion that is handed out on a daily basis. The compensation is based not only on your education but life experiences, this company allows for a family life and is almost always willing to work with you & your needs in an understandable manner. The management team pushes themselves to help you succeed and then some! I cannot say enough nor speak enough about the positives here, and I hope that we see more quality people try to apply and move forward with this organization.
Pros
Cons
Alittle micro-managment, but not bad.
Great place to start, poor place to stay
Medical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 5, 2017
I specifically worked as a Medical Equipment Technician at Banner Home Care but my experiences were consistent with others throughout the company.

Banner is a great place to start if you are new to the industry, but there is no incentive to stay once you get experience. I say this because even if you do a stellar job and blow your yearly reviews out of the water, your raise will be a pittance. Wages, in my experience have been consistently higher among competitors like Dignity Health.

Management is poor and little is done to make lasting change for the better. Inter-department bickering and unwillingness to work together is rampant across the whole organization.
If you want to paid according to industry standards - look elsewhere
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2017
Banner preaches "work/life balance" and transparency but doesn't practice it in the least bit. The pay is ridiculously low for my field. The only upside to the pay is the weather (if you like working in Arizona anyway). They continue to buy up other healthcare sectors but can't give their employees a raise and are notorious for on-again/off-again hiring "pauses." The folks at the facilities themselves are fabulous but the Corporate culture is one of back-stabbing and politics - even worse than when I worked in the political sector. They rarely promote from within when it comes to certain areas and they have a ridiculous Talent Mapping process where you are rated by folks you've never worked with. Their HR is ridiculously slow and the company as a whole has prided itself on not paying according to industry standards. So if you're looking for a place to work where you'll be over-worked and under-valued (unless you are a nurse or a doctor) - then by all means, fill out an application and welcome aboard!
Pros
Great if you're a Doctor or Nurse & they capitulate to you
Cons
Sucks for everyone else
Very busy, fast paced, high turnover
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) @ BUMC-P (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 24, 2016
Everyday when you went into work you knew there would be lots of work to be done. I thoroughly loved my job. I wish I could say the same about my department and the management. The lazier you were the better you were treated. Hard workers who did their job (and even more some days) were in the spotlight and punished more so than the half time motivated employees. I didn't work for banner directly, I was a contracted employee. There were so many call outs every day that even on my day off. I would get a phone call asking to cover a shift. It's a fast paced environment and you have to be self motivated or else you will get eaten alive.
Pros
Always overtime, friendly people in other departments.
Cons
Bad management, usual short staffed, use of money (raises)
Banner Health
RN Case Manager/ICU (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85202August 29, 2016
Banner Health is an innovative, community leader who is now the number one employer in Arizona. Banner prides itself in seeking out an elite management team and hiring the best of the best. I felt apart of a prestigious medical community that held itself to standards above and beyond the norm.
I was led by an educated, experienced management team in both the Case Management department and the Intensive Care Unit. The highest quality of patient care was expected along with intelligent resource management.
I enjoyed the team environment and sense of pride of being apart of this prestigious community.
Pros
Environment of excellence, room for advancement, high standards, excellent cafeteria, flexible work schedule
Cons
Insurance not as generous as previous carrier, hourly rate of pay competitive but not as generous as previous employer
Great place to start and cotinue
RN (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85206November 1, 2016
Banner Health has been a great place to work.The team and culture to work with is very good. The company is always willing to further education through their own education department. The only set back is working for a non-profit large organization they do not compensate very well. The benefits are expensive and raises are only allocated to a number of people. With the large company you loose that sense of family structure.
Pros
education, stability
Cons
low pay
Seeks to be industry leader in healthcare by the year 2020
Physician Integration Program Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 31, 2017
Overall, is a good place to work, with competitive benefits, average salaries, and has weathered economic and industry changes through early innovation.
Pros
relative job security
Cons
Different divisions of the company operate in "silos, " thus creating communication challenges.
great place to start
RN (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CODecember 13, 2016
A great place to start a hospital career. Hard to advance in the company as you are required to stay in your current position 1 year and they don't make exceptions at all even though they say they may be able to help they don't. Co-workers are great and helpful and management does care about helping you.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
hard to advance your career in the direction you want to go.
An amazing company with a mission statement everyone at the company believes in
IT Operations Director (Promotion) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2017
Banner was my second favorite company I have ever worked for. The teams they have assembled are full of amazing and talented people. Teamwork was the essential focus and the work from home policy took the company to a 5 star rating for work life balance. Everyone I encountered no matter if it was the CEO or a janitor at a hospital was friendly and approachable. I would recommend this company to anyone seeking to be a part of something bigger.
Pros
Work from home, staff, leadership, vision
Cons
Things move slow due to size
An unforgettable experience that will always be a part of my life.
RN (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 7, 2016
A typical day at work was fast paced. There wasn't time to socialize with our fellow coworkers the moment you clocked in to start the shift.The job required quick critical thinking skills and good communication skills between the nurse and the doctor. The staff was good to help with deliveries even if we were extremely busy . The hospital did have valuable resources to choose from if needed. The management was very good about helping when there was any sort of emergency.The hardest part of the job was taking care of mom's and family during a sad time such as stillborn deliveries or preterm deliveries with a poor outcome.The department had a great program for families who suffered a loss which was highly recognizable.The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of the deliveries and educating the mom's and families on how to care for their new addition .
Pros
Generally a happy environment and a rewarding career.
Cons
Breaks were few and far between.Long shifts
Outpatient Clinics
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  BMG Arizona WestJuly 12, 2016
As a manager there is not any work/life balance. A typical day is working all day, being in countless meetings and then working at night to keep up with emails. I learned that I can manage large groups of physicians and staff and that life is too short to give all of your time to a company who does not appreciate your efforts. Most of my co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was not having any executive leadership support. Lack of accountability at this level and constant re-organization of the division which affected peoples careers. Always pointing fingers at the people who were working the hardest. No fairness when doing this. Certain people got better severance than others. Some of the staff and the patients was the best part of the job.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Lack of work/life balance and bad executive leadership
Authoritative
RN (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 26, 2017
Although my coworkers are amazing people and the patients are what make my job rewarding, Banner upper management is authoritative. They do not value the nurse as a person but as robots. The type of position that I am looking for embodies a collaborative environment. We are short staffed due to a tight budget and over managed. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the politics and requirements of the unit. In all the nurses are well qualified and give excellent patient care. They should be rewarded for all they do.
Small Town=Low Pay
Certified Surgical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Brush, COOctober 16, 2016
Banner does not give raises at EMCH. There are a lot of other duties that will be given and not compensated correctly for because it is a small hospital. You work hard and get paid less out here compared to bigger facilities. The General Doctors are awesome! As well as the Podiatrist! The O.R staff makes it a fun working environment.
Pros
Great staff!
Cons
Low pay
nice place to work
Certified Medical Assistant/PFS rep (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 18, 2017
The hours are great. the benefits are pretty good. There are plenty of places to transfer to within the company. The providers are amazing
Pros
great advancement
Cons
politics
Not a good place to work!
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2017
My experience at Banner was not good. I was hired to supervise, but never received adequate training, such as workflow, 20 different systems, layout of the hospital etc. I was expected to seek out training myself. I did get 1 week of management training that promoted "feel good" emotions, but I was dropped into a snake pit full of terrible gossip, constant call outs, back-stabbing colleagues. I was expected to put in 50-60 hours a week, be on call 24 hrs/day for sometimes 2 weeks at a time with NO COMPENSATION. I was also expected to "fill in" as needed, which then became an insane mess of working shifts because of the constant short staffing/revolving door, and then do administrative duties (for which I was told I was hired: bait and switch tactics). After developing a major issue with insomnia, I crashed. I was then "managed out" and transferred to the corporate environment, where things changed on nearly a daily basis. My manager was very inexperienced in the pharmacy world, and kept saying that this was a start up program. She also said I wasn't a good fit for Banner. Your work ethic, and experience in the field don't matter; this is a popularity contest. I have now taken another position at another health system.
Pros
Benefits are OK
Cons
Terrible management, worse working conditions
Great Company; Could Pay Better
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COAugust 1, 2016
This is a great company, but is not as competitive as it could be with rate of pay. Good work life balance, management treats employees well, advancement opportunities present if you know the right people.
Staff is very supportive of one another
CASE MANAGER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COSeptember 6, 2016
Very relaxed work environment with supportive colleagues. Great work life balance, they understand that things come up! Management is very willing to help and not afraid to get involved. Team environment that is very willing to help each other out. Hardest part of the job is lack of natural light inside the building - but they encourage taking breaks outside.
Pros
supportive team
Cons
no natural light in work area
Stepping Stone
Biomedical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 6, 2016
Careers in my line of work are not promising right now at Banner Health. Be wary of undercompensation, no opportunity for advancement, and management's inability to delegate tasks properly.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Unless you know someone, good luck trying to advance or make a respectable salary
fun place
Emergency Department Technician (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85204January 17, 2017
busy place. Great people. Very fast paced with multiple opportunities to advance within the company. Long hours, with pretty good benefits minus the pay. Pay is lower than the normal for job description.
Busy/productive business
Go live Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 13, 2016
An enjoyable place to work, meet new people who have a positive outlook on learning new processes. Pleasant work environment.. Management was friendly with positive attitude, Training is fun and knowledgeable.
Pros
Good benefits and advancement
Cons
Traveling involved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banner Health. Our community is ready to answer.