Banner Health Employee Reviews

Authoritative
RN (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 26, 2017
Although my coworkers are amazing people and the patients are what make my job rewarding, Banner upper management is authoritative. They do not value the nurse as a person but as robots. The type of position that I am looking for embodies a collaborative environment. We are short staffed due to a tight budget and over managed. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the politics and requirements of the unit. In all the nurses are well qualified and give excellent patient care. They should be rewarded for all they do.
Do not Work Here!
Talent Acquisition Sourcing Strategisist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2017
Banner is one of the lowest paying companies in the market and they know it. They don't care about their employees and it shows. The leadership, including HR, is corrupt and mafia like. The company is horrible at innovation and any creative or logical proposal that goes against their lazy, take-no-action plan is considered combative. The company cut budgets, removed positions, and then stacked all the extra work on the current employees.
Pros
Lots of locations
Cons
Horrible Leaders, low pay, changing job responsibilities, poor work ethic
Great place to start, poor place to stay
Medical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 5, 2017
I specifically worked as a Medical Equipment Technician at Banner Home Care but my experiences were consistent with others throughout the company.

Banner is a great place to start if you are new to the industry, but there is no incentive to stay once you get experience. I say this because even if you do a stellar job and blow your yearly reviews out of the water, your raise will be a pittance. Wages, in my experience have been consistently higher among competitors like Dignity Health.

Management is poor and little is done to make lasting change for the better. Inter-department bickering and unwillingness to work together is rampant across the whole organization.
An amazing company with a mission statement everyone at the company believes in
IT Operations Director (Promotion) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2017
Banner was my second favorite company I have ever worked for. The teams they have assembled are full of amazing and talented people. Teamwork was the essential focus and the work from home policy took the company to a 5 star rating for work life balance. Everyone I encountered no matter if it was the CEO or a janitor at a hospital was friendly and approachable. I would recommend this company to anyone seeking to be a part of something bigger.
Pros
Work from home, staff, leadership, vision
Cons
Things move slow due to size
You get to meet alot of different people
Home Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Alvin, TXJanuary 16, 2017
You have your rough days when your pt is refusing to let them help you do anything for them and your good days I love going on walks with them the only bad thing that made me look for another job was when I had the pt husband physically attack me they did nothing about it didn't even call and check up on me when I was in the hospital
Pros
Meet new people and make friendships with your clients
Cons
Not getting the help you need
Productive Team Environment
Food Service Culinary & Nutrition Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2017
There is nothing to say short of an excellent environment where I can grow as a manager and to aspire to even more! It is an awesome work culture of people and employees, a job where it doesn't feel like work through all the compassion that is handed out on a daily basis. The compensation is based not only on your education but life experiences, this company allows for a family life and is almost always willing to work with you & your needs in an understandable manner. The management team pushes themselves to help you succeed and then some! I cannot say enough nor speak enough about the positives here, and I hope that we see more quality people try to apply and move forward with this organization.
Pros
Cons
Alittle micro-managment, but not bad.
High volume office
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2017
A typical day at work is seeing 60+ patients per day. There is never a dull moment at this office. Management sometimes micro manages but everyone is very friendly. The most enjoyable part of this job is the fact that we are like a family, we are a very close group and make things interesting and attempt to make it a great day every day we are here.
Receptionist
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85206December 15, 2016
As a Front desk receptionist at a behavioral health facility had its good days and bad days. Knowing what you need to do on a daily basis was the great part. The hardest part about that position was always keeping your eyes and ears open to patients and staff. You never knew what kind of day the patients might be having so you had to always be open minded.
Pros
great job and staff was very nice.
Cons
Productive, and very organized place to work.
Medical Assistant- Externship (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 29, 2016
A typical day at work started with coming in, starting up computers, and opening Epic, and Pacs, making sure that all the rooms were clean, and stocked, doing patient intake, verifying allergies, and medications, removing sutures, and staples, along with doing wound care, preparing patients for X-Rays, and removing of casts, labeling products by expiration dates. I also prepared patients charts, allergy, and med lists, and face sheets, made phone calls to verify patient appointments, and pulled charts in order of patients coming in. in my opinion the most enjoyable part of the job was the patient care, along with working with doctors, X-Ray Techs, and nurses making sure that patients get the care they need.
Stable Management
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 14, 2016
Great management team that allows one to work and collaborate as one sees fit. They strove to find the best solutions for issues that would or may appear down the road 3-5 years and not just in 6 months. Staff had some very tenured employees so there was always a wealth of experience to draw from.
Pros
Very good management
Cons
Funding for projects, many layers to get projects off the ground
Very busy, fast paced, high turnover
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) @ BUMC-P (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 24, 2016
Everyday when you went into work you knew there would be lots of work to be done. I thoroughly loved my job. I wish I could say the same about my department and the management. The lazier you were the better you were treated. Hard workers who did their job (and even more some days) were in the spotlight and punished more so than the half time motivated employees. I didn't work for banner directly, I was a contracted employee. There were so many call outs every day that even on my day off. I would get a phone call asking to cover a shift. It's a fast paced environment and you have to be self motivated or else you will get eaten alive.
Pros
Always overtime, friendly people in other departments.
Cons
Bad management, usual short staffed, use of money (raises)
Productive, excellent colleague and support staff.
Psych Nurse Per Diem (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 23, 2016
Lots of variety, worked pool and was on all the units, i.e., I have extensive successful experience in Behavioral Health Inpatient Nursing, including but not limited to: Dual Diagnosis, Adult Locked Psych, Chemical Dependency/Detox/Rehab, Adolescent Units with excellent references.
Pros
Variety, colleagues, management, pay
great place to start
RN (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CODecember 13, 2016
A great place to start a hospital career. Hard to advance in the company as you are required to stay in your current position 1 year and they don't make exceptions at all even though they say they may be able to help they don't. Co-workers are great and helpful and management does care about helping you.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
hard to advance your career in the direction you want to go.
Seeks to be industry leader in healthcare by the year 2020
Physician Integration Program Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 31, 2017
Overall, is a good place to work, with competitive benefits, average salaries, and has weathered economic and industry changes through early innovation.
Pros
relative job security
Cons
Different divisions of the company operate in "silos, " thus creating communication challenges.
Great place to start and cotinue
RN (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85206November 1, 2016
Banner Health has been a great place to work.The team and culture to work with is very good. The company is always willing to further education through their own education department. The only set back is working for a non-profit large organization they do not compensate very well. The benefits are expensive and raises are only allocated to a number of people. With the large company you loose that sense of family structure.
Pros
education, stability
Cons
low pay
Provides excellent care for patients.
Facility Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 1, 2016
I was trusted and enabled to greatly improve the environment of care in all aspects to include safety and security for psych patients, infrastructure including wall finishes, electrical and backup power, lighting, furniture, flooring, doors and hardware, windows, plumbing, landscaping, and recreation. I worked contracted and worked with many vendors.

I learned every aspect of The Joint Commission accreditation requirements and fire and life safety. Maintained budget and managed one of Banner's Best teams achieving a perfect 5 score for my department for a Press Gainey survey.

I enjoyed making improvements in every way possible and seeing the results. Often heard positive comments outside of the facility from caregivers or parents that had someone in our hospital.
Family atmosphere at Banner Boswell Medical Center
Medical Imaging Technologist Assistant (CT) (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZOctober 29, 2016
I learned a great deal of my knowledge of medical terminology, and imaging procedures from the great team I worked with at Banner Boswell. Collaboration with the nurses and physician in the emergency room to ensure patients recieved their exams in a timely manner. I served as the "right hand girl" for the CT supervisor. Assisting with everything from coffee runs to quarterly inventory. I really enjoyed my job.
Good pay, poor leadership
Securtiy Officer Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZDecember 6, 2016
Good darting pay, and great benefits. Has poor leadership, and lack of employee appreciation. Very high turn over rate of employment. The leadership is not supportive, and their is a very high rate of attrition of skilled staff.
Pros
Pay, and benefits
Cons
Poor leadership, not supportive, tenedency to focus on negative aspects, resistant to change
Horrible
Pharmacy Technician III - Med History Tech. (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZDecember 19, 2016
the manager of the pharmacy technicians at this hospital is two faced and waits until something becomes a huge problem before even addressing things. She is clicky with certain technicians and if those techs dont like you she will believe every word they say about you and wont listen to your side. I had to even go over her head to get my log ins 4-5 weeks after my start date because she never put in the request. No real training, the pharmacist who runs the med history program never talks to anyone, wont even make eye contact. They constantly pull you from med history to fill in down in the inpatient pharmacy because the manager doesnt fire people for exessive call outs so dont plan on doing much med history. The tecnicians themselves are untrustworthy, and rude. Several show up to work high. The pharmacists are all rude.
fast paced
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2017
You always have to be on your toes working as a Patient Transport. Keeping busy with patients and always productive. Sense of Urgency and Time managements are a must. Being able to be positive and upbeat because many of the people we encounter are sick and scared.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
Tiring and at time under appreciated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banner Health. Our community is ready to answer.