Banner Health Employee Reviews

Productive Team Environment
Food Service Culinary & Nutrition Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2017
There is nothing to say short of an excellent environment where I can grow as a manager and to aspire to even more! It is an awesome work culture of people and employees, a job where it doesn't feel like work through all the compassion that is handed out on a daily basis. The compensation is based not only on your education but life experiences, this company allows for a family life and is almost always willing to work with you & your needs in an understandable manner. The management team pushes themselves to help you succeed and then some! I cannot say enough nor speak enough about the positives here, and I hope that we see more quality people try to apply and move forward with this organization.
Pros
Cons
Alittle micro-managment, but not bad.
Great place to start, poor place to stay
Medical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 5, 2017
I specifically worked as a Medical Equipment Technician at Banner Home Care but my experiences were consistent with others throughout the company.

Banner is a great place to start if you are new to the industry, but there is no incentive to stay once you get experience. I say this because even if you do a stellar job and blow your yearly reviews out of the water, your raise will be a pittance. Wages, in my experience have been consistently higher among competitors like Dignity Health.

Management is poor and little is done to make lasting change for the better. Inter-department bickering and unwillingness to work together is rampant across the whole organization.
Very busy, fast paced, high turnover
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) @ BUMC-P (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 24, 2016
Everyday when you went into work you knew there would be lots of work to be done. I thoroughly loved my job. I wish I could say the same about my department and the management. The lazier you were the better you were treated. Hard workers who did their job (and even more some days) were in the spotlight and punished more so than the half time motivated employees. I didn't work for banner directly, I was a contracted employee. There were so many call outs every day that even on my day off. I would get a phone call asking to cover a shift. It's a fast paced environment and you have to be self motivated or else you will get eaten alive.
Pros
Always overtime, friendly people in other departments.
Cons
Bad management, usual short staffed, use of money (raises)
If you want to paid according to industry standards - look elsewhere
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2017
Banner preaches "work/life balance" and transparency but doesn't practice it in the least bit. The pay is ridiculously low for my field. The only upside to the pay is the weather (if you like working in Arizona anyway). They continue to buy up other healthcare sectors but can't give their employees a raise and are notorious for on-again/off-again hiring "pauses." The folks at the facilities themselves are fabulous but the Corporate culture is one of back-stabbing and politics - even worse than when I worked in the political sector. They rarely promote from within when it comes to certain areas and they have a ridiculous Talent Mapping process where you are rated by folks you've never worked with. Their HR is ridiculously slow and the company as a whole has prided itself on not paying according to industry standards. So if you're looking for a place to work where you'll be over-worked and under-valued (unless you are a nurse or a doctor) - then by all means, fill out an application and welcome aboard!
Pros
Great if you're a Doctor or Nurse & they capitulate to you
Cons
Sucks for everyone else
Great place to start and cotinue
RN (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85206November 1, 2016
Banner Health has been a great place to work.The team and culture to work with is very good. The company is always willing to further education through their own education department. The only set back is working for a non-profit large organization they do not compensate very well. The benefits are expensive and raises are only allocated to a number of people. With the large company you loose that sense of family structure.
Pros
education, stability
Cons
low pay
great place to start
RN (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CODecember 13, 2016
A great place to start a hospital career. Hard to advance in the company as you are required to stay in your current position 1 year and they don't make exceptions at all even though they say they may be able to help they don't. Co-workers are great and helpful and management does care about helping you.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
hard to advance your career in the direction you want to go.
Seeks to be industry leader in healthcare by the year 2020
Physician Integration Program Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 31, 2017
Overall, is a good place to work, with competitive benefits, average salaries, and has weathered economic and industry changes through early innovation.
Pros
relative job security
Cons
Different divisions of the company operate in "silos, " thus creating communication challenges.
Not a good place to work!
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2017
My experience at Banner was not good. I was hired to supervise, but never received adequate training, such as workflow, 20 different systems, layout of the hospital etc. I was expected to seek out training myself. I did get 1 week of management training that promoted "feel good" emotions, but I was dropped into a snake pit full of terrible gossip, constant call outs, back-stabbing colleagues. I was expected to put in 50-60 hours a week, be on call 24 hrs/day for sometimes 2 weeks at a time with NO COMPENSATION. I was also expected to "fill in" as needed, which then became an insane mess of working shifts because of the constant short staffing/revolving door, and then do administrative duties (for which I was told I was hired: bait and switch tactics). After developing a major issue with insomnia, I crashed. I was then "managed out" and transferred to the corporate environment, where things changed on nearly a daily basis. My manager was very inexperienced in the pharmacy world, and kept saying that this was a start up program. She also said I wasn't a good fit for Banner. Your work ethic, and experience in the field don't matter; this is a popularity contest. I have now taken another position at another health system.
Pros
Benefits are OK
Cons
Terrible management, worse working conditions
Small Town=Low Pay
Certified Surgical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Brush, COOctober 16, 2016
Banner does not give raises at EMCH. There are a lot of other duties that will be given and not compensated correctly for because it is a small hospital. You work hard and get paid less out here compared to bigger facilities. The General Doctors are awesome! As well as the Podiatrist! The O.R staff makes it a fun working environment.
Pros
Great staff!
Cons
Low pay
Good pay, poor leadership
Securtiy Officer Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZDecember 6, 2016
Good darting pay, and great benefits. Has poor leadership, and lack of employee appreciation. Very high turn over rate of employment. The leadership is not supportive, and their is a very high rate of attrition of skilled staff.
Pros
Pay, and benefits
Cons
Poor leadership, not supportive, tenedency to focus on negative aspects, resistant to change
nice place to work
Certified Medical Assistant/PFS rep (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 18, 2017
The hours are great. the benefits are pretty good. There are plenty of places to transfer to within the company. The providers are amazing
Pros
great advancement
Cons
politics
fun place
Emergency Department Technician (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85204January 17, 2017
busy place. Great people. Very fast paced with multiple opportunities to advance within the company. Long hours, with pretty good benefits minus the pay. Pay is lower than the normal for job description.
Great!
PFS Rep (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 23, 2016
Great place to work and wish that I could go back. Fun place to work with great people and great benefits! Just long hours sometimes.
Hospice RN CM
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 30, 2016
By far the most accomadating hospice company to work for as RN CM. Best benefits, pay, and work-life balance. The leadership cares about their team members happiness.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work-life balance
Work Day
PFS SR Rep (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 25, 2016
My typical work day I am doing a morning report to let everyone know what patients still need to be completed for the next 5 days. I call insurances for authorizations and benefits. I check online for both befits and authorizations also. I call patients and verify all their information and collect any payments due at that time..
Pros
i have all websites phone numbers available to me to get my work completed in time.
Cons
not everyone works at the same level so that tends to slow others down.
Biomed in a hospital is a great job
Biomed Tech II (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZDecember 26, 2016
Banner overall was great to work for. Didn't like some of the PTO policies overlapping mandatory holidays off but overall great leadership and work environment.
Pros
Co-workers and leadership
Benefits
Great Benefits
Manager of Financial Operations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2017
Various benefits options are available to fit the needs for employees with multiple unique situations, Cost for benefits are reasonable and are affordable to all employees.
Good place to learn
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 3, 2016
Good place to learn and grow. A larger corporation is easier to transfer to different hospitals and departments. Generally great people to work with.
Pros
Good benefits and continuous learning.
Cons
My life/balance was not beneficial.
stable but management has some issues
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 23, 2016
supervisors can be not entirely fair. pay and benefits are reasonable and coworkers are nice. You can learn a lot since they are very busy hospitals. the hardest part of the job is dealing with the influx of new supervisors constantly and having about three supervisors in charge all with different views. the best part of the job is the other people you work with and benefits.
Stepping Stone
Biomedical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 6, 2016
Careers in my line of work are not promising right now at Banner Health. Be wary of undercompensation, no opportunity for advancement, and management's inability to delegate tasks properly.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Unless you know someone, good luck trying to advance or make a respectable salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banner Health. Our community is ready to answer.