Baptist Health Employee Reviews

Disillusionment is bittersweet
OR Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 27, 2015
Having only worked here 4 months, I have come to the conclusion that sometimes when our dreams come true, they're not always what we had hoped. Baptist Health was my end goal, the ultimate, the dream. Within starting my first day on the floor, I knew I had made a mistake in the position I chose. I take responsibility for that. What I don't take responsibility for is the actions of my co-workers and management.

My co-workers seem uninspired in their work, angry with each other, and unappreciated by the surgeons. I'm used to having a bad day from time to time, maybe even having a bad week or two. But this job was the first in terms of seeing some people NEVER smile. There are some people employed here who have never smiled in my time of 4 months. This negativity breeds throughout the unit, seeping into even the happiest of staff, not to mention patients whom deserve compassion and comfort in stressful times such as surgery. Why is attitude not talked about more in the surgical services unit at Baptist?

From what I have seen, which is only one side of a measly fly on the wall, favoritism among management with staff is rampant. I spoke openly about this and was met with a solemn "I have seen this for years and I don't know how to stop it." I was given the same answer when I asked why it seemed that some staff are exempt from rules that are to be followed by all. No reprehensions to be given for the rules that are so obviously broken.

Understanding my position as "the middle man" also came the burden of being the brunt of all the negativity that entered the OR. Trying desperately
  more... to understand the rules, both "written and unwritten", struggling to grasp the social rules, the very animalistic culture of the OR: they eat their young, or any new hires to the unit. It almost felt like a hazing sensation was happening amongst the newest staff, one of them being myself. Everyone talks about everyone. And I quickly learned I couldn't trust anyone. Not even my superiors.

I did my best to prepare myself mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually for this job. I did my best in forgiving those who hurt me, both knowingly and blindly. I did my best to learn and smile and laugh while telling myself to breathe deep and focus on what little positive energy I could find there. I stayed loyal to my employer until I felt so disrespected, uncomfortable, and uncared for that I finally mustered sending in my letter of resignation. The very environment of this job, not the job itself, caused me chronic stress, and I dreaded going to work every morning. I cried coming home from work. My life had been reduced to sleeping during the entire weekend because my week had been filled with a despondence that left me feeling ill. I feel confident and positive that my resignation was the best thing I could do for my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health.

What I wish and hope for now is that the surgical services unit undergo an extreme make-over. Someone must be willing to investigate where the source of the negativity is coming from, and attempt to spread goodness to all. Granted, it is not a one person job; I tried for 4 months. Everyone there must be on the same board to do good for others as well as themselves. It's easier than everyone thinks, or than everyone is assuming it to be.

I've seen the goodness that the OR can hold. I wish I felt that goodness most of time I spent there. I believe, though, everyone has the capability of bringing their own light and goodness to their job; even if it's not what they had hoped.
Pros
the kind people were the kindest I'd ever met
Baptist Health Systems
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Alabaster, ALFebruary 15, 2015
My typical day is divided into four areas or "buckets" - financial management, employee relationships, patient/family relationships and quality review.

I am a transformational leader who leads by example. I work well with others and am often sought out as a resource person. Management of employees and schedules is the hardest part of my job as it is demanding and sometimes not popular.

I love moving the practice of nursing ahead and work collaboratively with staff, physicians, and other healthcare professions. Our hospital had a very challenging culture that I really see is advancing to promote transformational leadership.

I have learned communication skills that cross all generations of nurses and physicians. This was a difficult task initially I also believe in thinking outside of box and looking at things from a global perspective and not just a unit perspective.
Pros
free parking, good benefits
Cons
pay is not equivalent to the birmingham area hospitals and this does cause difficulty with retention
Lots of important work to do and gets done
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 25, 2013
Every day you feel that the job you are doing matters. Whether directly or indirectly, you know you impact patient care in the best possible way you can. We searched for those little thoughtful things that could be done or said to bring ease and peace to our patients We have the best doctors and nursing staff, as well as other clinical staff.
Hardest part of job was going for years with no raises, seeing less productive employees keep their jobs while vital employees lost their jobs. Management needs to plug in to where the real work is done. I learned to get along whether or not I feel supported and feel supportive, and be supportive and positive. Great coworkers who believe in the mission of Baptist Health.

Hardest part of the job.. when the money is going to something ridiculous like Strategic Management when it could help patients.
Pros
occasional tail gate parties
Cons
exclusive tickets come to baptist health, but strategic keeps them for their own family events.
Wellnes Coach Intern
Wellness Coach Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 16, 2013
Interning at Baptist Healthy For Life in Jacksonville, FL was an amazing and educational experience. During a typical week, I would see 50+ employees and educate them on how to live a healthier lifestyle. When I was in the office, I assisted in created, developing and implementing employee education programs. I also assisted in every day-to-day office work such as; answering phone calls, assisting employees with health issue and online forms, interning data, organizing and sending out pertinent forms to Baptist campuses. My co-workers were very encouraging and helpful when I needed assistance. The hardest part of interning was having to deal with difficult individuals but the most enjoyable part of the experience was interacting with almost all 9,000 employees. Out of all my work experience, this has been the most educational and interesting.
Pros
being out of the office 3 times a week to talk to employees
Cons
long hours during health screenings
Learned many new things here.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at Baptist Health included many opportunities to learn about repairing/trouble-shooting equipment and Hospital assets. I learned how to repair Hill-Rom and Stryker beds, how to rebuild various valves, repair and replace a big variety of miscellaneous parts/valves/fixtures that make up the heart and veins of a building/hospital. I learned plumbing, soldering, and how ice machines and blanket warmers work. I observed Engineering MGT perform their duties and always did what I was instructed. I helped co-workers and they helped me. The hardest part of the job was when there was a project and several failed attempts to fix. I learned that persistency and patience were key in finishing a complicated repair job. The most enjoyable part of this work was repairing something someone needed on the spot, it made me feel worthwhile and helpful.
Pros
Good pay/Learned a great deal about Building Engineering
Cons
Sometimes dirty/loud.
A superior daycare. Provides excellent care for children of staff and some community members
Assistant Teacher/Floater (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 19, 2015
As an assistant teacher and floater, my day is never typical. I will fill in as a substitute for absent teachers and teachers on a break, cook, clean, create crafts with children, bandage knees, take on a classroom for weeks/months on end as needed. In short, I may be involved in most of the day to day activities in the life of our children. I work with dedicated women who care about their students and try to provide a nurturing environment while offering a preschool curriculum to our 2-5 year olds. The physical demands of the job is without a doubt the most challenging aspect. On the other hand, the smiles and hugs our children offer make a demanding day worth all the work we put in each day.
Pros
Good benefits, accessibilty to health care
Cons
Pay rate, I need part time work to enable me to provide health care to my parents and spouse.
Modern state-of-the-art lab equipment.
Core Lab -Medical Technologist-Generalist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 24, 2015
In addition to performing required analytical equipment quality control and maintenance there were usually non-stop patients' specimens to analyze at the beginning of the shift. Near the end of the shift there was the morning run which ended with numerous specimens having been correctly analyzed and resulted. There was always adequate help.
I learned to be proficient in the operation and maintenance of many analyzers. My co-workers were well-educated, well-trained and always willing to do whatever they could to help.
Management was knowledgeable and usually stressed because of the great workload and zero tolerance for errors.
Making certain that only the correct result was released to the caretaker was the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was payday.
Pros
A great place to work.
Cons
Can't think of any.
Dietary Aide
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FlJune 7, 2015
I would never work in this Kitchen it is the worst Supervisors basically run the kitchen Management sides with the Supervisor even if they are wrong! A lot of knit picking, long hours. I would come in in the mornings help set up the line, help serve the line, get your censuses sheets ready, serve between 8 to 10 floors lunch, (No Break) go pick up all of the floors you served come back and make snacks and sanchwiches, go to lunch and then come back to take orders for about 8 to 12 floors depending on how short staff we were for that day! Meanwhile you are being treated like a child and being berarted by the morning supervisor! You feel as if no one has your back because they don't treat the Kitchen Staff like they treat the other Staff!!
Pros
Patients are nice you become accustomed to your Patients
Cons
Management is Terrible and they definitely allow and agree with Favortism and Nepotism!
What I like about my job
Console Operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 6, 2014
I was responsible for 2800 peoples results in the north Florida area. Assisted and wrote practices and procedures in Atlanta. Took advantage of 3 management a year at eplc. Learning Center. My typical DAY WAS LEAVING FOR A MAINTENCE and rpair and Phone Center stores to train thm on how to install modular converters to replace hard wire phones.

'The most enjoyable part of the job was being a success wherever I went. It was the most rewarding part of my career.

Baptist Medical Center is a very busy job as we handle all Baptist enities.

We handle codes, assist doctors and nurses. We also help people who are not able to help themselves.
I truly don't think there is a hard part of the job because you are always helping someone and it is a very rewarding job.
Pros
self satisfaction
Cons
trying to help people who are upset before you can get them to where they need to go.
Good job until a very bad supervisor was hired
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARFebruary 8, 2015
The NLR Baptist Lab is an small to medium size lab. It has a Blood Bank, Chemistry, Hema, Coag, UA, and Micro departments. I worked weekends. The weekends workload really fall on how busy the ER is that weekend. Most of the doctors are easy going and will call if they have a question about something. Most of the supervisors in the lab will help you solve a problem or situation.

The newest weekend supervisor is a person who is NOT a supervisor on any level. The supervisor puts blame where blame is not need or warrented. The supervisor is trying to removing people that had a hearing impairment or a veteran worker at the company.

The co-workers are very nice and will help with anything.
Pros
great co-workers, great benefits.
Cons
one very bad weekend supervisor.

Want to know more about Baptist Health?

Ask a question
I loved being a Network Analyst
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 13, 2012
Supported four major hospitals technically. Evaluate systems to diagnose best solution for end users. Organized projects and upgrades, managed daily terminations, Active Directory user accounts, software support/troubleshooting, documentation, end user training/documentation. Work closely with departments to make sure their hardware, software and knowledge needs are met. Level 1 troubleshooting/connectivity from pc to switch and from front of patch panel to end users device.
Pros
great team and management, loved departments and assisting people with their technology issues, i loved project management
Cons
i volunteered for employee reduction to stay home with boys for a few years.
Fast paced, intense, critical thinking work environment with many rewarding outcomes
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 19, 2014
A typical day at work is usually very fast paced, lots of multitasking, and caring for high acuity patients. Working in an intensive care unit is a continuous learning environment. My current manager is definitely an employee advocate. The hospital that I am currently employed by has recently been bought by a new corporation and at this time is undergoing a lot of new changes. Although daily changes are being made my co-workers continue to remain the same. They are kind, hard working, caring and true team players. I thoroughly enjoy my current position but am also interested in exploring a new avenue of nursing.
It was a great start to the medical World, I still need better training on the job.
Nursing assistant/ Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock arAugust 20, 2013
*A Typical day at work was very busy. I ran the E.R. so i stayed very busy with taking blood etc.
*I learned how to take vitals and assist the nurse and doctor with anything, and take blood,.
*My co-worker were very helpful when I needed them.
The hardest part of my job was to leave some of the patients alone. I always wanted to go back and check on them before I left for the day.
* The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing patients smile and another one is seeing patients get to go home to their families.
Pros
learning and seeing something new everyday.
Cons
no breaks but worth it to save a life.
Currently working at Baptist Health
o.r.tech (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJanuary 21, 2014
Baptist Health does afford the opprotunity for contiual education ,also overall a nice place to work. I work twelve hour days, sometimes its grulliong from start to finish. We do a lot of GYN service small amount of orthopedic and a fair share abdominal surgeries. Sometimes management overlooks the fact that because "you are the late person" to not put you in a room that will be going all day,while persons working 8 hour shifts are mis managed. The most enjoyable part of the day is when after the first 8 hours all the negative personalities are gone for the day.
Cons
short or nonexsistance of breks especially for the techs
Patient population diverse and plentiful
Chaplain Fellow/Supervisory Candidate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 26, 2013
a combination of patient and staff interaction was encouraged and the environment was welcoming. Interdisciplinary team work was encouraged. I learned to respect and honor diverse cultures, beliefs, and traditions. Management was supportive and encouraged creativity. Co-workers were sometimes territorial, did not welcome newcomers. The hardest part of the job was the pay was not the best. I loved working with the interdisciplinary staff and patient population.
Pros
one hour long lunches, annual day a way for the department
Cons
pay could be better
Voluntee
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 1, 2015
I volunteered for Baptist Health during the summer before my junior year in high school. I did a wide range of tasks such as organizing files, creating letters to send through the mail, delivering mail and magazines to patients, and answering phones. I learned how to communicate effectively and work with many people of differing educational backgrounds and age. The staff are well motivated and never were any employees impolite or unprofessional. The hardest part of the job was the tediousness and endless supply of tasks to do but it was never boring.
Pros
Discounted Lunches
Cons
Still had to pay for lunch
Great place to work. Employees are wonderful to learn from.
Student Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYMay 31, 2013
The respiratory department is a very hardworking group of people who strive to exceed expectations for patient care. I learned how to perfect certain skills as a respiratory care practitioner as well as time management skills. The hardest part of the job was mostly being responsible for so many patients at a given time. However, the time management skills that were acquired were very helpful in overcoming this challenging aspect. The most enjoyable part was the patient and co-worker interaction.
Large hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 11, 2014
This was my first nursing job and I was on a steep learning curve. The ICU had at that time "old nurses who ate their young". It was at a time during the medical revolution so there were many changes and new developments constantly. The hospital provided for education reimbursement as well continuing education opportunities. I was responsible for starting the very first patient on CVVHD. Not only was it the first in the hospital but also the first in a Jacksonville ICU.
Pros
good benefits, compensation for continuing education and reimbursement for school loans.
High patient load
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 10, 2014
I left because I felt it unsafe to practice as a nurse there. Any given day I would care for 7-10 patients (with discharges/admits) on my own, 7 at any given time. I learned my limits. My co-workers were friendly enough, but worn out as well. The hardest part was admitting that I could not take care of that many patients, in a safe manner. The most enjoyable was caring for others and being able to help, to make a difference. As a note of difference, I believe now that they have a different parent company than when I left over 3 years ago.
benefits
Cons
too high nurse/patient ratio
Overall Baptist Health is a great place to work. I have great support from management and great co-workers. I would recommend Baptist to anyone.
RN,BSN (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KY.June 4, 2015
Happy and fun place to work. childbirth is a very happy time so it makes my job enjoyable. I usually start my day off with assessments of mothers and baby's, pass medications, admit new patients and discharge. I have learned that you only get out what you put into it. Our management is very supportive of our unit and my co-workers are very supportive of each other and I feel that we have great team work on our unit.
Pros
happy place to work

4.2