Baptist Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Worst Job Ever!!
EKG Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 7, 2014
They don't want to pay you what you are worth but they want to over work you constantly. I worked for Baptist East almost a year before I said forget this and quit. I worked in telemetry and the manager was horrible. She didn't listen to her employees and she was never there. They made you watch more patients rythyms than what you were suppose to and it was a daily thing because we didn't have enough workers. If someone called in we would have to ask someone on first shift to stay over and pray they do. Oh and the pay was horrible, I really couldn't believe if u start on first shift you are only making 10.00 a hour. You can make that at Wal-Mart as an associate and get 10% off what you buy and come out better. 10 dollars and keep in mind that your job is to monitor patients hearts and notify the nurses if something goes wrong, to pay your employees that less and overwork them means they could care less about their patients, because when you under pay and over work your employees they tend to not do a good job because they don't care. I would never work there again and I most definitely wont go as a patient. Someone else need to be given control over Baptist and reevaluate it and fire all those corrupt managers and directors and ceo who getting all the money and not paying the over worked employees. That's why so many have quit went else where. Believe me you don't want to work here but you have to take my word for it, just ask any of their employees, or just go ahead and work for them and find out for yourself.
Pros
not one thing
Cons
everything
Baptist had exceptional benefits and compensation.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  MSApril 12, 2013
Workload usually consisted of 4-5 patients per nurse. Being in the ER, I experienced several different cases and scenarios. I attained trauma certification (TNCC). It was an amazing learning opportunity in which I am thankful. During my time in the ER, management was unstable. For several months, we were without a manager. We were overseen by the ER Director, whom also acted as the Critical Care Director. My co-workers became my extended family. During stressful situations you could always rely on someone to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was explaining to impatient patients triage levels and why certain patients were seen immediately without waiting, i.e. chest pain. The most enjoyable parts of my job included the sense of accomplish and pride when a life was saved, and having expanded knowledge from treating a diverse patient population, where that knowledge improved patient outcomes.
Pros
furthering education, flexible scheduling
Cons
large patient load, breaks/lunch not guaranteed
Clean smoke free facility with plenty of hard workers.
Head cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Booneville, MSJuly 3, 2012
You come in you laugh alittle, you complain alittle, you work hard, but at the end of the day your customers are happy and you still not appreciated by management. I had some good co workers and some not so good but you learned to come in and do your job and don't worry about the nonsense. The hardest part of the job was to keep going when you felt like didn't know one care about how our department was being runned. My enjoyable part of my day was laughing and talking with the baker she was my best friend we joked and talked about daily issues, we helped each other out alot. What I learned here is no matter how a facility is operated you need to just follow their instructions and preceed on but if something is not right take it to management, if that don't work follow your chain of command.
Pros
paid vacation.
Cons
understaffed worked hard
I like the night shift as a radiologic technologist
Radiologic Technologist (RT.R) (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 16, 2013
I would do x-rays on ER patients in emergency room based on their minor or major injuries. It was a large hospital that I did about 30 am portables every days with my co-workers for intensive care units. We would work in teams of 4 to performed over one hundred portable exams daily. My co-workers were friendly and helpful in doing our patients' exams in a timely mannered. The management was excellent in resonable in solving problems promptly and provided good team building skills in our department. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and interacting with my patients. My job challenged me in working with difficulty patients that were in motor vehicle accidents or mentally impaired.
Pros
free lunches, good benefits, work less holidays hours
Cons
were assigned to work mandatory overtime
Baptist Memphis, TN CVICU
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 17, 2015
I worked in the CV ICU for over 2 years straight out of college. A typical day included monitoring, assessing, administering medications to 2-3 CV ICU patients, typically 3 patients. I collaborated with other nurses, management, physicians, and case management. Management as far as Charge Nurses were very present and helpful. However the Head Manager was hardly ever seen and acted extremely ungrateful even if you had been running all day with no lunch break. My co-workers were amazing and very helpful unless everyone has 3 patient assignments. The hardest part of the job was finding help to turn, clean up patients, and boost patients up in bed. The most enjoyable part was working with a population of patients that typically recovered from their surgery.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
no lunch was very common; almost expected
I feel that the employees at Baptist are good people . They strive at their best to provide excellent service to their patients.
Surgical Technician (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSOctober 17, 2013
A day at work is i enjoy working with my patients, knowing that they receive the best care I could provide for them. I learn each day from my patient is compassion sometimes they don't have anyone with them and it does their heart good for someone to encourage ,laugh and talk with them. Management , has the best heart at making the patient safe and secure. My co-workers has compassion and safety in mind for their patients. The hardest part of my day is when an elderly is very sick, i try to stay positive in my heart knowing they will make it through regardless have bad it seem. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing my patient made it and they are doing well with great recovery.
Pros
able to have scripture read daily
Cons
screaming kids
Good salary but considering what was expected of you, getting the work done with less people than needed to get it done, made for tough days,everyday.
Security/Parking/Transportation Director (Former Employee) –  Memphis, Tn.March 24, 2013
Basically you started out everyday you started out trying to find the best way to get the work done. I learned to work closely with other departments and managers to get the job done and done in a timely manner. Scheduling was always an important process and was never the same from day to day. Best part was the communication with the patients we were working with. But working for a upper management was difficult since I believe that the bottom line for them was making money and the staffs bottom line was making patients feel comfortable while trying to not waste time and money.
Pros
pay was really good, benefits were good, and the people i worked with were great.
Cons
too much concern for the bottom line and zero concern for the employees.
Not Satisfied with the cuts Baptist is making.
Labor and Delivery Nurse (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 15, 2013
I have been working for Baptist for 2 years. The staff are mostly pleasant, but Baptist recently lost insurance contracts, and started making budget cuts. They have cut out on many of the things that make our patient satisfied such as food and drinks for patients. Many employees who have been at Baptist for 30-40 pluss years have been layed off- as many as 20 in one day. I am not satisfied with the way Baptist is treating there employees or patients which is why I am seeking a job elsewhere. The benefits at Baptist are very good, however the employees do not get paid holliday pay, and are required to work hollidays, this is something that I would like to find different in my job hunt.
Environment offering daily experiences.
Nurse Extern (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSDecember 29, 2012
There wasn't a typical day. Every day was filled with different ranges of problems and different opportunities to make one person life a little better. I learned so much outside of the actual nursing duties, such as time management, prioritization, and even enhanced basic communication skills. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do more for the patients. My co-workers were big on team work which in my opinion may the job easier. I enjoyed coming to work every day, helping a patient, and as the prepared for discharge, hearing them say how much I've helped them.
Pros
availability of supplies need to properly care for patients.
Cons
short breaks
Strong Beliefs
Account Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 20, 2012
A typical work day includes talking to current and existing patients on how they intend to cover their hospital expenses. This job has taught me how to count my blessings because there are some very sick people without any way to cover medical expenses. I love the management team and co-workers, we all get along very well. The hardest part of the job is learning that the person you are trying to contact has died or just can't afford payments. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have job security, due to the need of people in my current position.
Pros
jeans on friday
Cons
30 minute lunch breaks
Fun and entertaining
Catering Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 12, 2015
I learned a lot from Baptist Memorial Hospital. Daily, I would help patients with meal selections, create their trays, and manage their intakes. The hardest part of this job was time management. Since each floor has it's own drug distribution and food service has its own time for making trays, there would be a conflict of time and some days I would need to rush to finish things. The most enjoyable part was getting to know new people. The patients are great. But the most important part of my job is that I help save lives. I have helped many people that didn't want to eat to eat and have seen the difference that simple step made. It's the most rewarding part of the job.
Working at Baptist
ER ADMISSION CLERK/OUTPATIENT PRN (Current Employee) –  columbus, msOctober 14, 2013
Working in the ER is a busy job. You are always walking and running back and forth to each patients rooms to get the information you need. Working in Outpatient is a busy job also. But its a better busy. The patients are coming in for test and they talk to you more and joke around. Makes you enjoy working with the patients. My co-workers on the most part of wonderful to work with especially in outpatient. Hardest part of the day is if you are working in the ER because most of the co-workers don't pull there weight so you have to do your job and theirs. the management over the admissions is not the best at all.
Pros
outpatient is a wonderful department to work in.
Cons
my supervisor doesnt want to hire me as a regular employee and wants to keep me as a prn.
Great orientation program with vision ,mission focus.
Clinical Pharmacist Specialist- Oncology (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 31, 2014
Progressive Clinical Pharmacy program. Supervised 7 Clinical Pharmacist specialists and several Pharmacy residents. Completed residency match for 2012-2013 class. Worked with Oncology clinics after they were acquireded by Baptist, in order to prepare for JCAHO accreditation/review.

Co -workers in the BMH system were very team oriented. The integration of the Cancer clinics offered a more challenging perspective but encouraged personal growth and development.

I enjoyed the priviledge and opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the patients that we serve and to fulfill the mission of teaching, preaching, and healing.
Pros
professional continuing education conferences
Cons
short breaks
Was an extension of school.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 29, 2015
It was so long ago I do not remember details about management. It was my first nursing job and I learned a tremendous amount of knowledge. I learned many skills. The down side was when I first started I worked on the medical floor for 1 year. We had 13 patients m inimal everyday with total patient care. 7-8 of these patients were incontinent of urine/stool. Exhausting. I almost quit nursing. I came across an oppurtunity to transfer to SICU and did so immediately. It was challenging but amazing.
Pros
Long lasting friendships/learning experiences
Cons
Heavy patient loads and did not support nurses
It is a fast paced, fun place to work.
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Albany, MSMarch 1, 2015
I love my job. I believe Baptist has good benefits. I get to meet a lot of interesting people. And the people I work with are fun and reliable. Our manager is easy to talk to. She doesn't mind pitching in a helping when we need help. When we are busy every one on the floor comes together and we get it done. I really enjoy the appreciation some people can show over one little thing you help them do.
Pros
yearly raises, can leave on your lunch, good benefits.
Cons
only 30 minute lunches, it get real hectic at times.
Great place to work and the people make you feel at home.
Appeals Coordinator / Utilization Review (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSDecember 12, 2013
Work was always fun and exciting. It is very fast paced with constant change. Nothing is ever the same day to day. Mutlitasking is a job requirement to survive there but it makes time fly. You rely on your co-workers a lot but you learn how to be part of and how to depend on a team. It all flows very nicely. The hardest thing to adjust to is the constant change in insurance information but you adjust to it and find a flow. It makes it easier when you have a work place that feels so much like home that you dont mind coming to work.
learning experience.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 10, 2013
nothing is typical when you are working in the icu-stepdown.i took care of some of my patients and with others the nurses helped me.i did patient care ran errands to the bloodbank,the lab,i assisted the nurse taking patients to get a ct-scan and mri.some of my coworkers were good workers and some werent.the hardest part of working at the hospital was when someone died i had to clean them up put them i abody bag and take them to the morgue.the best thing about working in the hospital was watching someone go home.
Pros
lifelong friendships and knowledge.
Cons
hospital closed.
As I was working for BMH-D things were good.
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 9, 2012
As I was working for BMH-D things were good. There are and were a few bumps in the road but, that is anywhere that you work. People got along with each other most of the time. When we were in a crisis situation we would all pull together. One team. One purpose. One goal to make the patient better. It didn't matter whether we were having a great day or not. We would pull together for the patient to do whatever it took for them to be better.
Pros
good staff to work with
Cons
lots of admissions at one time would overwhelm us
Hectic but rewarding helping People
Cashier III (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 26, 2013
love working with people as well helping people which is what was done at this job. Seen many different people and love speaking and getting to know them professionally. My co-workers were helpful at times when needed as well as someone just to talk to. The hardest part of the job was when I first started when my schedule was hectic when I had to be on different schedule each and everyday. I was something you call a floater who take a place of a person who was either off or on vacation. The most enjoyable part was to see different people and which some were professionally as well as socially.
Phenomenal experience!
Cardiac Rehabilitation Intern (200 Hours) (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSFebruary 17, 2014
Baptist Memorial's Cardiac Rehab program is top notch! I really enjoyed my experience working directly with patients in an inpatient and outpatient setting as a student intern. If you're looking for a praticum or internship, here is where you need to be. The rehab coordinator actually allows you to train and participate versus just watching and taking notes. If you want to learn how to work within a clincial setting, administer stress tests, and take vitals, here is where you need to be.
Pros
hands on experience and a wonderful staff.