Barbara Ann karmanos Cancer Institute

Barbara Ann karmanos Cancer Institute Employee Reviews

Great Place just need to increase the pay
Admission Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 7, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at Karmanos! I enjoyed my everyday interaction with the patients and coworkers. The hardest part of this job was the healing process when a patient became very ill
Cons
need to have a higher pay rage
Rough/stressful/Beware
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 21, 2016
This place is a place that can take you down. The Doctors one in particular is very insecure, she likes to radiate patients over and over even when the patient was cleared or been stable for YEARS. And she will throw you under the bus to save herself she has done it to many. The management only cares about numbers. Patients will wait hours because Karmanos does not want to keep full staff because numbers matter more that patient care or employees health. There is no team work at all and each department only cares about their department. You wanna be happy & help people then go somewhere else. Your health is NOT worth it.
Pros
Patients some of them are great
Cons
Short staff with no change, poor management, insecure doctors
Chaos and undervalued
Decline info (Former Employee) –  John RApril 28, 2015
The mgt doesn't value Mammo staff. You are a body filling a spot. They will cut you loose for nothing. Certain techs are bullet proof. Tons of bullying goes under the radar and if you complain it's ignored Detroit site is frenzied and staff doesn't help each other. Radiologists are spiteful and often incompetent. Suburban office tech there for long time not happy and it shows. Not helpful to others and back stabber in a big way. Watch your back and keep mouth shut protect your sanity and work somewhere else
Pros
Patients and RNs
Cons
Unequal treatment unless your part of the "group"
Toxic cesspool
n/a (Former Employee) –  john RFebruary 7, 2015
Company is a breeding ground for backstabbing, throwing staff under the bus, stress and misery. Staff morale is the lowest I have ever seen. There is no real structure. Management is clueless and gets away with murder then turn around and blame their subordinates. A lot of employees are being harassed but too afraid to speak up. The HR department favors management so lower level staff needs go unheard. No room for growth if you are not apart of the good old boys club. Run as fast as you can from this place!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no staff lounge no room for growth top heavy good ole boys club
good clinic
KARMANOS VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 6, 2013
check on patients in different clinics, getting to know different people from young to old, serving patients coffee, tea, and water in the waiting areas, filing important documentation, discarding old records
Pros
lunch breaks and doing special projects with the cancer patients
Very toxic, stressful environment
Mid-level provider (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 3, 2013
Management is very indifferent to the needs and mental/physical health of workers. Midlevels are treated very poorly, and are thrown under the bus when one of the doctors makes a mistake. NPs and PAs are there strictly to cater to the MDs. We were scribes and secretaries, and not allowed to function to the full spectrum of our training. Clinic space is very insufficient, and they continue to cram ever more providers and staff in extremely close quarters. Very chaotic. I absolutely dreaded Mondays. "Office space" was a joke, crowded with no windows. Most of the medical assistants were lazy and not helpful, except for one or two. I could go on ad nauseum.

On the plus side, there were some very devoted physicians, and most of the midlevels there are wonderful people. I cannot fathom why they stay there. I also loved the DMC, and the patient population. They were so grateful, and I have many wonderful memories of patients and their families.

Please, if you are a midlevel (NP or PA), find another position. There are better places to work in the Detroit Metro area.
Pros
Patient population, academic setting
Cons
management, office space, stressful clinics
Becoming about the dollar, not good patient care
Clinic Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ambulatory Care ClinicApril 18, 2013
Frenzied work pace in outpatient clinic with many demands coming at clinic nurse with poor support from ACAs and management. High burn out rate for RNs and mid-level providers.
Pros
good opportunity to learn more about oncology care
Cons
upper management does not value staff - very expendable
Karmanos
Job Shadow (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 2, 2013
Eventhough I was only there for a Job Shadow, everyone and everything here was amazing.
very stressful environment
nurse (Former Employee) –  floorsMarch 16, 2013
- it may look good in the begining however it is so depressing
people are so rude and not helpful
- very toxic environement
- unsafe job anything can get you in trouble
Cons
forget about extra time with your family, low compensation, stressful environement
Values evidence based practice.
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Detroit MIJanuary 25, 2013
This organization values work based on evidence. This organization is a place where nursing's opinions are valued by the medical staff and the residents. Nursing has a visible position at "the table" when decisions are being made regarding patient care.
Pros
ebp, therapy based on guidelines, values nursing's opinions.
Great place
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Cancer Patient ServicesJanuary 23, 2013
If you are looking for a position that values nursing judgement, this place is for you. There is a big focus on evidence based nursing care and care that follow guidelines. Nursing judgement is valued by the medical staff and sought out by the residents. There is a general attitude of professionalism in this organization.
Pros
evidence based practice; nursing centered culture
Great co workers but that's about it
Do not want to say (Current Employee) –  DetroitDecember 8, 2012
What karmanos is trying to do for patients with cancer is excellent. Unfornately they could care less about their employees. Basically I believe that their philosophy is "just be happy you have a job. Now shut up and get back to work." We haven't had a raise in 4 years and when we finally did receive one it was on for $0.25. They never ask for employees opinion, seeing how we are the ones actually on the floors and dealing with patients on a day to say basis oppose to pulling strings from upstairs like we're their puppets. I absolutey HATE working here. Everyday it's a struggle to get out of bed and work for Karmanos. I don't complain but quietly I'm just going with the flow and praying for a better opportunity.
Pros
great coworkers, no problem with getting time off, which is a great thing because you will need it
Cons
terrible pay, management doesn't care about employees concerns or ideas, and depending in where you work in the center very old and unsafe working environment
Great faculty and staff.
Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 25, 2012
A great place to work. Walking in every day you realize how important life is and not to take a day for granted. Everyone that works here is very committed to finding a cure.
Pros
faculty and staff.
Cons
pay and benefits not competitive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barbara Ann karmanos Cancer Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9