Barbara Ann karmanos Cancer Institute

Barbara Ann karmanos Cancer Institute United States Employee Reviews

good clinic
KARMANOS VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Detroit, MINovember 6, 2013
Pros: lunch breaks and doing special projects with the cancer patients
check on patients in different clinics, getting to know different people from young to old, serving patients coffee, tea, and water in the waiting areas, filing important documentation, discarding old records
Very toxic, stressful environment
Mid-level provider (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 3, 2013
Pros: patient population, academic setting
Cons: management, office space, stressful clinics
Management is very indifferent to the needs and mental/physical health of workers. Midlevels are treated very poorly, and are thrown under the bus when one of the doctors makes a mistake. NPs and PAs are there strictly to cater to the MDs. We were scribes and secretaries, and not allowed to function to the full spectrum of our training. Clinic space is very insufficient, and they continue to cram ever more providers and staff in extremely close quarters. Very chaotic. I absolutely dreaded Mondays. "Office space" was a joke, crowded with no windows. Most of the medical assistants were lazy and not helpful, except for one or two. I could go on ad nauseum.

On the plus side, there were some very devoted physicians, and most of the midlevels there are wonderful people. I cannot fathom why they stay there. I also loved the DMC, and the patient population. They were so grateful, and I have many wonderful memories of patients and their families.

Please, if you are a midlevel (NP or PA), find another position. There are better places to work in the Detroit Metro area.
Becoming about the dollar, not good patient care
Clinic Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Ambulatory Care ClinicApril 18, 2013
Pros: good opportunity to learn more about oncology care
Cons: upper management does not value staff - very expendable
Frenzied work pace in outpatient clinic with many demands coming at clinic nurse with poor support from ACAs and management. High burn out rate for RNs and mid-level providers.
Karmanos
Job Shadow (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 2, 2013
Eventhough I was only there for a Job Shadow, everyone and everything here was amazing.
very stressful environment
nurse (Former Employee), floorsMarch 16, 2013
Cons: forget about extra time with your family, low compensation, stressful environement
- it may look good in the begining however it is so depressing
people are so rude and not helpful
- very toxic environement
- unsafe job anything can get you in trouble
Values evidence based practice.
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Detroit MIJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: ebp, therapy based on guidelines, values nursing's opinions.
This organization values work based on evidence. This organization is a place where nursing's opinions are valued by the medical staff and the residents. Nursing has a visible position at "the table" when decisions are being made regarding patient care.
Great place
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Cancer Patient ServicesJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: evidence based practice; nursing centered culture
If you are looking for a position that values nursing judgement, this place is for you. There is a big focus on evidence based nursing care and care that follow guidelines. Nursing judgement is valued by the medical staff and sought out by the residents. There is a general attitude of professionalism in this organization.
Great co workers but that's about it
Do not want to say (Current Employee), DetroitDecember 8, 2012
Pros: great coworkers, no problem with getting time off, which is a great thing because you will need it
Cons: terrible pay, management doesn't care about employees concerns or ideas, and depending in where you work in the center very old and unsafe working environment
What karmanos is trying to do for patients with cancer is excellent. Unfornately they could care less about their employees. Basically I believe that their philosophy is "just be happy you have a job. Now shut up and get back to work." We haven't had a raise in 4 years and when we finally did receive one it was on for $0.25. They never ask for employees opinion, seeing how we are the ones actually on the floors and dealing with patients on a day to say basis oppose to pulling strings from upstairs like we're their puppets. I absolutey HATE working here. Everyday it's a struggle to get out of bed and work for Karmanos. I don't complain but quietly I'm just going with the flow and praying for a better opportunity.