Barlow Respiratory Hospital

Barlow Respiratory Hospital Employee Reviews

Leadership is a complete failure
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 25, 2016
Ever since the new CEO took over, the hospital has been in freefall. He is running a non-profit institution, but has no background in working with fundraising so he has no understanding of how fundraising works.
His only function is to slash expenses in order to show a better bottom line, as opposed to being supportive of increasing revenue and the staff responsible for that.
He has no interpersonal skills to speak of. He's a terrible communicator. He is socially inept. He has eliminated vital departments for the short-sighted excuse of saving a little money, at the expense of long-term growth for the hospital.
Barlow has been around for over 100 years, but if this CEO remains in place, it will not last another 5.
Pros
C-Suite executives were good, while they were there. Good salary and benefits.
Cons
CEO is inept.
Over worked,
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 31, 2016
No respect for nurse to patient ratio. Many days you end up with 5 patients instead of four and all patients are on tele monitors.
No respect from management
When you call in sick you have to call the main hospital and speak to the charge nurses at night which are very rude and mean. They just hang up on you without saying anything.
Management just caters too much to patients and families, which makes the patients and families very demanding and treat staff like dirt.
No room to advance
Pros
Good Health benefits, great co-workers
Cons
You get cancelled a lot, management is rude, new employees all the time
Small Hospital
Vice President Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Fast paced small environment. Must be able to be multi-talented. The environment is very dynamic due to many changes in the LTACH industry.
Great employer, good coworkers.
On call radiology tech (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 1, 2016
This is a great hospital and I enjoy working here. I am not looking to leave this hospital. I work on call every other weekend and enjoy. It is difficult to xray some of the patient because they are all bed ridden.
Pros
Great work environement
Cons
im only on call.
Good hospital for experienced clinicians
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 20, 2015
Barlow is a very specialized facility with a specific patient population. Most of the patients are very sick and require a lot of TLC, so if you aren't one of those people who is comfortable with going above and beyond, you may have difficulty working at this facility. The culture here is pretty laid back and things don't happen very quickly. You can learn a lot about working with a specific population of patients on ventilators and with respiratory diagnoses, but most of them are chronically ill and not medically stable consistently. The staff is very friendly and welcoming, which made a lot of the consequences of the job worth it.
Pros
Great staff
Horrible Management
Staff member (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesSeptember 6, 2015
Management and Union are not supportive and do not help when you need them. They state how they are welcoming and encourage you to express your concerns. Yet if your concerns are expressed you are reprimanded. Yet, nothing is done to change it. Not adequately staffed and supported. Not properly run. Wouldn't be surprised if people were paid to write good reviews or if management them self were writing this. ABSOLUTELY NO support from management.
Cons
management, union, support system
helped me back into clinical nursing
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2015
Poor union reps, mean management. Old buildings on beautiful campus.Assignments safe. Unclear, unproven polices. Team work great having RN and RT staff working closely towards giving the best care to patients.
Pros
updated resume
Cons
mean management
Fun working environment.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2015
As a certified nurse assistant I enjoyed working here and working with patients on mechanical ventilators. This job helped me into discovering my passion of respiratory therapy and to follow through with getting into school for it. I just completed my respiratory therapy schooling and am currently looking for a job in the field. My management team and co-workers were very friendly at Barlow hospital and I would enjoy an opportunity to work there as a respiratory therapist.
Pros
staff appreciation days.
Cons
Short lunch breaks.
Great Learning Experience
Respiratory Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2015
Great Learning experience. Protocol driven and lots of interesting patient cases. Wonderful staff and best breakfast at the lowest cost compared to other facilities
Regardless of position,everybody treats each other with respect.
Food Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2015
Many years of growing amid a nourishing population of Administrators,staff and of course patients and their families.
Pros
open door policy
Cons
downstaffing
Generally good salary level
Staff Nurse - LVN (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2015
Nurses stayed generally with the hospital for over 30 yrs. Work load is getting heavier but manageable. Too bad, the CNO aspired to achieve "magnet" level and required nurses to be all RNs.
LVNs were displaced under "reorganization" despite the advantage of having them around since the start.
Peers have different attitudes and concepts of job responsibilities and on some cases, charge nurses have favoritism among them that leads to discontentment and disappointment among licensed nurses.
Shift starts with endorsements,scheduled procedures during shift, rounds and introduction of incoming nurses, medications and treatments, EMR charting, assessments, and blood draws scheduled that day.
Pros
generally good camaraderie among peers
Cons
challenging cases, good training, observe various procedures
Busy
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 1, 2015
A lot of agency nurses vs full time employees. This makes being familiar with the patient care plan, events since admission, and follow up difficult to manage.
Great place to learn.
Staff Nurse / Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 31, 2014
Barlow Respiratory Hospital is a great starting place for anyone that is interested in critical care. Many patients at Barlow are vent dependent and also have a variety of different health issues. This is a great place to perfect your nursing skills.
Pros
Location.
Cons
Work every other friday saturday and sunday
Productive and Fun
Office Manager - Admitting and Case Management (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 11, 2014
A typical day at work as an Office Manager is to go in every morning and make a difference in everyone's lives. Through out my day I come across with many patient (patient's families), case managers, fellow co workers problems. To the best of my knowledge and experience is to stay calm and professional to solve any issues and concerns even if I need to take the extra mile.

Every day is a challenge and I take my challenges into lessons. Learning on a daily basis is a positive thing, the more you learn the more you know. Being open to new challenges will lead you on a longer run.

Team work is a key in any work environment. The structure of building a team is learning everyone's personality and the structure of how and why they work in a specific way. Challenges in team work are faced on a daily basis however, if the team is able to lean a hand to one another the environment will be easy to work with.

I enjoy working with the team, fellow co workers, Directors, Vise President, CFO, Nursing Supervisor, and others from different departments. Everyday I look forward in going to work just knowing the fact that I can make a difference providing my services not to mention the effort and time. In my job and position there isn't anything that I can not challenge, I enjoy solving any issues and or concerns. Problem solving is a key of understanding and providing accurate services.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  VolunteerFebruary 10, 2014
While only a volunteer I was blessed to be received by all staff. The campus is full of history and the staff has a heart to give the best care to the whole family.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Did not stay longer
Barlow
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2013
Love this hospital. Beautiful place to work at.
Ability to learn and practice your skills is very common at this faculty.
Doctors are always available and work closely with staff.
Productive Hard working facility
Respiratory Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2013
One of my favorite clinical sites to learn, with people who take time to teach us the specialized weaning protocols
Fast paced work environment with very knowledgeable staff focused on the medical goals as they relate to the different specialties
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 4, 2013
Management teams support each deparment for strong team cohesiveness in order to facilitate the needs of each patient. I enjoy a fast paced environment and interaction with the different disciplines I collaborate with. I'm always learning something new about different medical treatment plans each day.The hardest part is driving to and from work 1 1/4 hrs - 1 1/2 hrs to work M-F. I really need a position closer to home. What I enjoy the most is that I'm still working in a hospital environment and the comradorary I have with my staff.
Pros
i appreciate being set up remotely via computer, at home, so that i can keep up with my caseload and keep track of what's going on with my patients.
Cons
i rarely take breaks due to the work load.
good site
LVN (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 20, 2012
This place is a great place to work, the only thing the let go all lvn to become an RN only hospital
Pros
benefits, salary
Great place to intern for respiratory therapy.
Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 25, 2012
I was here one day a week for my last internship finishing up my respiratory therapy course. No complaints, nice place, easy to find.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barlow Respiratory Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Barlow Respiratory Hospital Reviews by Location